Manhattan, KS
Kansas State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Kansas State University

Paul

The best thing about K-State has to be the pride that the students take in the school. The student body has been awesome at supporting the athletic teams. It is so much fun to go to athletic events because so many people are so excited about it. When we have people going out at least twelve hours early to an event, that shows just how much dedication the students have towards supporting the teams.

Fraternities and sororities are great for the campus. They provide an awesome opportunity for students to interact with others and develop life-long friendships. I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience of the Greek life so far. I have met many people that I would not normally meet. Many of these people are going to help shape the rest of my life.

Alex

We have a beautiful campus with a wide variety of students, professors, majors, etcetera. In general, the campus is very peaceful and students here are fairly friendly. Cliques exist as they do everywhere else but I am certain you will find your niche here!

We have everything: heterosexuals, homosexuals, liberals, conservatives, feminists, rich, poor, country, city...you name it, we are a diverse campus. But, I would have to say that these groups do tend to share the same community very well. I have yet to see a fight in Manhattan and feel very safe here.

Nope! We have a wide variety of students with many different ethnic backgrounds

We have very wonderful and well educated staff. Many of our professors are highly distinguished outside of the campus and I am proud to learn from these individuals.

Manhattan is a very active little town. We have a bar/shopping/eating district right next to campus called Aggieville which gets pretty crazy on the weekends. I was a little turned off initially about how small Manhattan is, but have grown to love it and all its charm.

We are all farmers or come from farming families We have no culture We are all Republican

Royce

Not enough school pride. Athletics needs to be stronger. technology focus is a joke. The services are not worthwhile and are very poor. Technology is the future of education. As students the school should support computer purchases and encourage their use and integration in to class rooms. This could start with a computer initiative that gave students more than the 4% education discount on computers. That is so little it is a joke, I am already in so much debt to go to school how can I afford a full price computer to do all the work that is expected of me.

Better scholarship information and support. Computer initiatives and focus on technology in the students hands and integrating that with life in the class room. Educate teachers on how to make the lessons more technology friendly.

Differential Equations: Math 240 is very poorly organized. the Math department needs to reevaluate the objectives and the learning structure of the curriculum. The online portion of that class is so difficult to deal with it is impossible to get it right. The "parser" is so particular that it impairs learning the concepts and favors a specific keystroke. That needs to be examined immediately.

UPC does a good job but the main headliners need to be moved away from Wednesday nights. Shoot for Tuesday or Thursday and the attendance will double!

Agriculture, cows, hicks, boots, cowboys

Alex

Choosing to attend K-State has easily been the best decision of my life. The size of the school is absolutely perfect. It's big enough that you can get involved in a wide variety of things, but yet small enough that you can make great friendships, and the teachers remember your names. Manhattan is definately a college town, which helps add to experience. The entire community is proud to be purple.

K-State is one of the premiere ag schools in the nation so it's understandable where the stereotype comes from, but it is completely false. There are some cowboys on campus, but I'd guarantee there are cowboys on every campus.

There is a stereotype that all K-State students are hicks from the farm and everyone wears tight Wranglers and big belt buckles.

K-State is a place where you can feel right at home. Where the students are friendly and the opportunites are abundant. There are so many events, activities, and organizations available that it is easy to find your niche and try something new! I will never regret chosing K-State, I've met some of my best friends, participated in some amazing things, and found out more about myself and my abilties! I'm not sure if I can specifiy just one place that I spend most of my time at K-State because I am everywhere! From McCain Hall for my Show Choir Practice, to studying in Hale Library, and at my sorority house to hang out, to the Union for meetings. Since K-State is Kansas' best kept secret I think it could be a little more diverse, though the topic is discussed frequently it would be awesome to see more of it on campus. We have a lot of 'purple' pride at K-State, football games are packed and you can always see a sea of purple where ever you go. Our administration does an awesome job at letting the students have a voice. We have an extremely strong student government that allocates a large budget each year. From a new parking garage to our textbook lists going online our ideas are heard. There aren't too many complaints that I recognize other than the typical college student ones, books are expensive, tution is expensive (in general not specific to K-State), and sleep is a minimum! ha ha

The first one is true we do have a really great student population! The second is definitely not true! We have a fairly diverse student population especially between students from small towns and large ones.

K-State's class sizes are excellent, most are around 20 students except for some of the larger freshman general education classes which can be between 200-500 however, those classes are always accompanied with a smaller recitation period of 20 or so.

Great People! Very down to earth and friendly campus. Have also heard people who don't know anything about K-State say that all of the students are 'hicks'

Alex

The people are the best thing! Everyone is so nice and friendly, making friends is easy. I feel the size is just right, not too many but enough so there's new people to meet everyday! People respond very positively when I say I go to K-State, it is impressive. I spend a lot of time in the library studying, there's tons of great space for quiet studying, or in the dorms. Manhattan is the best college town a person could ask for. Almost everything is centered around the college life, including aggieville! K-State has the best fans so there's tons of school pride. The parking lots are kind of a pain, those could definitely be improved, be prepared to walk a few blocks to get to your car.

There are many different ethnicities on campus, with many opportunities for interaction. However, many students tend to stick with their own backgrounds. In the dining room, you'll see a table of Chinese, a table of African-Americans, a table of whites, and a table with a mix. Most K-State students are from central U.S., MANY are from Johnson County.

No! People from all over the U.S. and world attend K-State. There are tons of different majors to choose from.

I've had a class with as many as 500 students once but most of my class sizes are between 12 and 30 people. Professors make an effort to know your name, but when you get above 100 students, it's kinda impossible. My favorite class I've taken at K-State was Cultural Anthropology, the professor was so interesting and we did a lot of fun things, I really learned a lot. My least favorite was definitely Biology, that class is super hard and K-State is known for that. Students should study as often as they feel neccessary to retain information for their classes. The important thing is to stay on top of assignments and don't let yourself fall behind. Class participation is not really a favorite, many students would rather just sit and listen. No one wants to be the first to speak up. I feel K-State is competitive which is good, we push each other to be the best we can. I'm in the college of education and K-State definitely strives to make sure everyone is ready for the classroom, so they do a great job of preparing teachers.

Just a bunch of farmers attend K-State. Everyone's major is agriculture.

There are hundreds of groups to get involved in on campus. The most popular Christian organization is Navigators, it's a great way to meet people and grow in your faith. Hundreds of students attend. I'm also involved in National Residence Hall Honorary, Kappa Delta Pi (not a sorority, it's a honor society in the college of education), and Kansas National Education Association. Athletic events are HUGE at K-State, you definitely want to buy football and basketball tickets in order not to miss out! I met my closest friends through my roommate my freshman year, (I went potluck and it turned out great!) and then through my classes and other organizations, and the dorms. The greek scene is kinda overrated, you'll do just fine if you don't join! There's still plenty of people to meet and other things to get involved in. I like having my own space and not being cramped in a house full of people.

Christian

One of the good things about K-State is that it is very much in a college town. Pretty much all of Manhattan breathes K-State. You can see the Powercat everywhere, and Willie the Wildcat is a local hero. On gamedays (football AND basketball), the town is swarming with purple, both from students and from fans no longer in college. The population of Manhattan decreases substantially over the summer. Manhattan is the Summer is a completely different town than Manhattan during the school year. Being a college town, there are alot of places near campus (oh, and the campus is absolutely gorgeous!) that cater to students and college life, such as multiple coffee shops. There are two local coffee shops that I visit quite frequently in Aggieville, the 6 or 7 block area that contains most of the bars, many very good restaurants and eateries, and a couple bookstores. Though Aggieville is a popular place, it's not the only place in Manhattan that is geared toward students. All around campus and on campus there are places to hang out, resources for work and play, places to get away from it all. All in all, Manhattan and K-State is a pretty sweet place to be.

K-State is a very diverse community, containing almost any religious group you could imagine, many many social groups, politically oriented groups, athletic clubs and teams, and if there is something that you want that doesn't exist, there are provisions that allow you to start something new. I personally was a part a Campus Christian Ministry called the Navigators. It is in this group that I met one of my best friends, and many other very very good friends. Getting involved in a Christian ministry or a Christian group of some sort is, in my opinion, the best thing anyone could do to help their college career. Christian groups are very good as providing a support network, a social network, and giving a life imersed in the day to day life of college a worth and purpose that transcends the things and purposes of this world. I would strongly recommend it.

K-State is pretty much the best university ever (better by far than KU).

All stereotypes are generalizations. Every stereotype stems from some aspect of truth, and though not everyone falls completely under any one stereotype everyone shares some commonalities with one stereotype of another. So, are they accurate? No. But they are worth paying attention to.

The academic life at K-State is as varied as it's students... literally. Every student has a different academic viewpoint. Some are very scholastic and study all the time, some go to class only because they'll fail if they don't. Some people don't go to class in spite of the threat of failure. Some people study when it's needed. Some people have a good balance between school and social life, and some unbalanced toward one side of the other. Really, the resources and opportunities exist to lead whatever academic life you want. It's college... do what you want, but live with the consequences and learn from your mistakes. That's what it's all about!

Social life is what you make it. Get involved.

Basically, the main stereotypes come from either the different majors, or the Greek system. Stereotypes exist for Every major. I was an art major. The stereotype for an art major was that of, well, a hippie type person. Trying not to "fit in" and so doing fitting into their stereo type. There is a stereotype for Engeneering majors, a stereotype for computer science majors, a stereotype for kinesiology and athletic training majors, a stereo type for English majors, a stereotype for philosophy majors, a stereotype for Architecture majors, etc. Though these are stereotypes (generalizations), all stereotypes stem from some element of truth. Paying attention to these stereotypes, while not giving an accurate picture, will key you into some aspect of what life in that major may be like or involve. Stereo types involving the Greek system really only fall into two major categories: The "sorority girl" and "frat boy". Both of these are considered negative stereotypes by many (Greek and non-greek alike). The stereotype of the "sorority girl" is that of a shallow, self-obsessed, very superficial personality focussed on looking "cute" first, pleasing others and maintaining their reputation second, and school third. There or more severe stereotypes linked with specific sororities that will remain unnamed that include the discription of "easy" or as the term "sorostitute" implies, sleeping with anyone who shows interest. The "frat boy" stereotype is that of a pretty-boy or a heavy partier. This reputation is well earned, as in most Fraternities you will find an ample supply of alcohol and empty alcohol containers fashioned into useful things such as the beer-can-couch, or the beer-can-Christmas tree, or the far less useful, beer-can-statue. As with soroties, there are a few Fraternities that have earned the reputation of being full of womanizers or predators. As is the case with sororities, there are several houses that break these molds and carry a very good reputation. That's pretty much it for the main stereotypes at K-State.

Justin

Kansas State is awesome for a few reasons. First, I love the big but small town atmosphere. With so many people who come from big cities surrounded by a bunch of people who are from smaller towns makes for an amazing mix of different viewpoints. Around campus most of my time is spend obviously in classes but if not in class the library the rec or the union. School pride is huge and there are very large crowds for both football and basketball. That is another one of my favorite things about K-state is tailgating and football season. The faculty and staff will ALL go out of their way to make sure to know your name in the majority of classes and they are always willing to help outside of class.

Everyone is nice, there arent a lot of racial problems. You can come to class in a suit or pajamas and still be treated the same way.

Nearly every one of my professors knows my name and that is a very reassuring thing. I love all my political science classes because they are obviously what interest me. I think everyone should take Human Sexuality because it is very informative and an easy A that keeps you interested everyday.

All farmers or agriculture people All Republicans and/or conservatively driven

Krista

The best thing about K-State is the people, both students and faculty. Everyone goes above and beyond to help each other out in any way possible. Pat Bosco, our Dean of Student Life, somehow knows everyone and not only recognizes faces but can remember almost all the students' names. The school itself is a great size. You see enough familiar faces for comfort, but if you want to stay away from certain people its pretty easy. While on campus I spend most of my time in Eisenhower (the mostly English building) as well as the Student Union. There is so much to do in the union including: bowling, an apple store, bank, lots of food places, and Cat's Den (a convenience store). If you have extra time between classes, its a great place to go. The students have the most amazing pride and support for our school, but manage to do it without any of the arrogance. The general reaction I get from people is a good one when I tell them I go to K-State and they always make a comment about Aggieville. Calling Manhattan a college town is a huge understatement. The town has about 50,000 people here and 25,000+ are students. There is always something to do and somewhere to hang out. If you were to hear a complaint about anything here it would probably be parking and the fact that the roads around the university love to flood. If there is any type of strong precipitation then its going to get pretty ugly. They just started to build a parking garage on campus and until that is up there is virtually no parking.

The student body is mostly accepting and laid back. No one tries to push their beliefs on anyone else. Minorities and exchange students are completely accepted by almost everyone. The beliefs that conflict are kept mostly to themselves. Most of the students wear jeans and a t-shirt or sweats to class. There is the occasional group of sorority girls or fraternity boys dressed up, but the attire is mostly relaxed and comfort based.

Probably the one thing I would want to tell anyone who is considering K-State is to not let anyone else's opinions change your mind. The school is an amazing place to learn and make the friends of a lifetime, but the best way to find that out is to see for yourself. Come visit as early as you can and make an effort to talk to people about any questions or concerns you have.

There are a fair amount of people from the country, but no more than you would find at any other school. Football is huge, but basketball is becoming a big thing as well.

The professors here are amazing. Although most of the Intro. classes are pretty large if you make an effort to talk to and get to know the professor, they will do the same. Most of the upper level and major specific classes are at most 35 people. This way you can get to know everyone in the class and your teacher on a more personal level. When you walk around Manhattan you constantly hear people talking about classes and the new things they've learned that day. The best classes I've taken are probably the ones that challenge me the most. I recently took Social Problems and it was fantastic. There are so many theories and people to learn about that something new is constantly coming up. K-State is a great school when it comes to preparing you for future jobs, but some of the classes are designed purely to provoke thought and growth of knowledge. If there is any advice I could give to someone its just this... GO TO CLASS! I know everyone says the same thing and from personal experience, classes are much easier if you've been to them.

When it comes to the dorms, most people are extremely open to others. Most doors are usually open and everyone is super friendly. Most of my closest friends are people I have met through random chance. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, its nothing abnormal for me. Usually I will be watching TV, hanging out with my roommates, or doing homework that I've put off or forgotten about. Athletic events are SUPER popular. Everyone loves to spend time with their friends at games and tailgating... along with sporting events comes Homecoming week. The greek community and the dorms have a huge week of competitions. There is Wildcat Request Live (WRL), Pant the Chant, Paint the ville, and the huge parade. The whole week is caped off with our Homecoming Football game. There is always a party to go to if you want to, but if you don't feel like drinking there is plenty to keep you busy as well. You can go to a movie, bowl, sing karaoke... almost anything you want to do.

That we're all hicks and listen to only country music. Football is the only important sport and we don't care about basketball.

Kansas State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.