Kansas State University

« See more reviews of Kansas State University

Kansas State University is pretty conservative. There is not a tremendous amount of diversity here and the majority of student population is White. But there are many organizations that feature other cultures and races. Being African American and Pacific Islander at first I felt very out of place here. I would be one of maybe five or six Non-White students in all of my classes and found myself extremely uncomfortable at first. But as I started to meet new people and get to know these unfamiliar faces I became more than comfortable and at ease. They were very friendly and not as different as I pre-judged. This experience helped transform my worldview and allowed me to get out of my comfort zone. Another thing that helped was that there are many organizations that are specifically for minorities such as Black Student Union, Foreign Exchange Club, and other similar clubs. It was very easy to get involved and everyone was more than welcoming.Though many of the students come from wealthy families you will seldom meet one that doesn't have a job on or off campus. Students here are very driven and hard working so you may never know they are wealthy unless you ask which I liked because I felt it allowed us to be on somewhat of a level playing field. Every student claims to be "broke" and every student claims to be "working my ass off" which to me was comforting knowing we are all here working hard together.

I do not have much experiance with certain groups on campus, but i believe that the racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic, etc groups, are all helping to unite our campus and promote diversity. I do not believe that any student should feel out of place on campus. There are plenty of groups and organizations to accomidate each and every student so that they feel involved and engaged with K-state life and campus. Most students wear t-shirts and sweat pants or t-shirts and jeans to class, given the time of day or the tempature that day. Many different types of student interact on campus here at K-state. Most K-state student are from Kansas either in a rural area or a city. I am not sure what financial background is most prevalent. I believe that many students are politically aware and active and do care about the politics of this country. Kansas has always been known to be more republican, However, I believe that K-state may also fit in that category, I also again believe that we have a very diverse population here at K-state that could believe differently. Some students do talk about what they wish to earn one day/ will earn one day, but that depends on the person.

I feel like I may have been naive before coming to K-State. Once moving into the residence halls, I experienced things I never had before! Most K-State students are open to the racial, religious, sexual orientation, and other groups on campus. K-State has a strong international program and is open to all cultures. I, for one, invited an international student to spend the holiday break with us my sophomore year. Her name was Na and it was so neat seeing her interact with my culture and to learn about her culture! We both had learned so much from the experience. I just wish I had been so open to these sort of things before K-State, but I am grateful regardless. Once you meet someone at this university, it is easy to meet more. Half way through the semester, most people have great groups of friends that they can dine with, watch movies with, or go out to Aggieville with. Financial backgrounds are not prevalent at this university. I come from a poor background but know many from a strong financial background. It just isn't something anyone really worries about here.

Traditionally the students of Kansas State University are right wing Republicans, though, we do have a number of Democrats as well as left wing students on our campus. Racially our campus is majority Caucasian but we do have diversity in some of our major colleges such as engineering. There are also a number of LGBT students on campus, they are very accepted into different clubs and organizations and treated as the equals they should be. Religiously K-State and Manhattan have many options to fulfill your spiritual need whether it be a Christian based church or an Islamic temple. Students on our campus are very outgoing and friendly, walking through campus there are constantly people smiling, waving, and telling each other hello. Manhattan actually has the nickname of Manhappiness by K-State students. Campus involvement is a very popular thing at Kansas State University, many students are involved and hold office positions within their club or organizations of choice on campus.

I came from a high school of over 2,000 students and sit next to students everyday who had a graduating class of less than 50. Somehow, we find a way to get along. I have yet to have a class in college where I wouldn't feel comfortable leaning over to the person next to me, asking for a pencil, and continuing a convesation with that person regardless of race, religion, or sex. With so many different students there are obviously different financial backgrounds. This is what makes K-State great. We have a program at our school that is the only philanthropy of its kind. It's by students, for students. Each year students donate $10 to receive a t-shirt for the K-State PROUD campaign. This money goes into a general scholarship fund that goes back directly to K-State students who apply because they don't have other financial options. With local business donations this fund raised over $100,000 for students right here at our University!!

K-State is mostly white and heterosexual, but that comes with the area. Kansas is pretty white and heterosexual too. However, for a town i central Kansas I think K-State is very diverse, at least a lot more diverse than where I came from. There are a lot of cliques at K-State. The Greeks, Aggies, Archis, Johnson County kids, Dorm kids, etc. Most students at K-State are from Kansas. There are quite a few from Johnson County in particular. Most kids are either middle or high class kids- not many underpriveleged kids are noticable. Politics wise- K-State is pretty divided. There are a lot of conservatives since it is Kansas, but there are also a lot of liberals since it is college and all. To class everyone wears whatever is most comfortable...sweats, shorts, hoodies, T-shirts (mostly purple ones). Some of the sorority girls pull out the heals and ugs but...that is ONLY the sorority girls.

A lot of students at K-State are from Kansas and if they aren't from Kansas then there is a pretty good chance that someone from their family went to K-State. There isn't an outstanding amount of diversity on campus, but there has been an increase in the amount of diversity and international students since I have been here. I've been able to attend several international student events and have learned more than I thought I would. Typically speaking, students will probably have more of conservative view on politics. But, the students at K-State are in tune with national, local and campus politics. When you go to class you'll probably see a lot of students dress casual, jeans and a shirt. Sometimes you'll see people in suits and sometimes you'll see people in pajamas, but for the most part you can expect to see students wearing the same thing you see people at the mall wearing.

K-State is a very diverse community, containing almost any religious group you could imagine, many many social groups, politically oriented groups, athletic clubs and teams, and if there is something that you want that doesn't exist, there are provisions that allow you to start something new. I personally was a part a Campus Christian Ministry called the Navigators. It is in this group that I met one of my best friends, and many other very very good friends. Getting involved in a Christian ministry or a Christian group of some sort is, in my opinion, the best thing anyone could do to help their college career. Christian groups are very good as providing a support network, a social network, and giving a life imersed in the day to day life of college a worth and purpose that transcends the things and purposes of this world. I would strongly recommend it.

The students at Kansas State University are very diverse. We collectively seem to be happy people that are willing to help a lost student on campus. I don't know anyone that isn't busy and involved on campus and we take pride in everything that we do. Our campus is also very diverse and non-racist. We have many exchange students and I have seen them not be anything but welcome here. I have met people from Slovakia, Australia, England, Korea, and many more. They are all wonderful people and happy to be here. Financial backgrounds are not prevalent on campus. You can't exactly tell if there is an abundance of rich or less fortunate on campus. We are just students no one seems to think they are better than anyone else. And although we do have many students of course from Kansas, there is a good percentage that are out of state, including myself.

I would like to think that no student would feel out of place at K-State, but I'm sure there are some that would. If you come from an upper class family and maybe have a complex towards others who were maybe raised on a farm or out in the country then this is not the school for you. I haven't so much noticed any racial tensions, as much as socio-economic tensions. I know kids who grew up in Overland Park who wear designer clothes and drive nice cars, and then I know kids who grew up out west and have more than 3 pairs of cowboy boots and drive big trucks. I have friends from Texas, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, and of course Kansas. Its an interesting group of people and learning about our differences is half the fun.