Kansas State University Top Questions

Teresa

The students are of almost all races.....weve got chinese,indians,african americans they are very cooperative and social

Seth

Midwest friendly with some new age sass

Holly

Students at K-State are a fun, friendly group of people, of all ages, that bond rather quickly and with ease thanks to high levels of shared school pride, enthusiatic spirits, numerous on-campus opprotunites, including KSU football games/tailgating, concerts, movie nights at the Student Union, holiday parties, and much more.

Joshua

My classmates are many and varied: Every class has an incredibly diverse population and if I had to sum them all up, I would say that they are young, intelligent, and diverse.

Megan

Our school is full of diversity but we are all a family.

Aubrianna

My classmates are diverse, smart, friendly, and inspiring.

Malori

Determined in thier studies

Kyle

Most of my classmates work very hard in their disciplines, learn as much as their professors can teach them, and put their information, talents, and abilities to good use.

Allison

There are all types of people in Manhattan. Many are young teenagers, still trying to figure out how to be an adult. Some are socialites, partiers, nerds, jocks, etc, but one thing they all have in common is each person has a genuine heart, with desires, dreams and aspirations. Whatever they are trying to achieve, they chase after it with all their energy.

Tia

Many of the students that attend K-State are fairly well mannered, friendly, and clearly come from nice families.

Alex

My classmates consist of hard-working, happy, and smart people.

Jordan

My classmates have a very contagious ambition about their majors, inspiring me and others to do well with academics, social life, and a lot more.

Courtney

My classmates at school are scholarly and helpful. The people in my Early Childhood major are focused and considerate. They are always there if I have questions or if I just need some help with class. Every person in my major is willing to put forth the effort to get to know everyone on a very personal level. I would say group work is much easier to do with these girls because their goals are the same as mine.

Kathy

The students are friendly and willing to help each other out.

Adriana

My classmates are determined, and very goal focused.

Riley

Most of the students are super friendly. You can tell a big difference between the upper classman and the freshman. I see a lot of my classmates around campus and we have a few study groups. We get along pretty well, and help each other out when we don't understand, or if we just need to vent. Some students, just like at any school, have an arrogant persona, but they are easy to avoid.

Xinchi

Nice people!

Kaitlynn

The students at Kansas State University are incredibly nice, genuine, and all around fantastic.

Arkady

There is a wide variety of students at Kansas State University. Being such a large campus with well over 20.000 students, it's not hard to find different types of people. There's people from all over the country and world. The vast difference of opinions on religion, politics, and social issues is amazing. It's easy to find a group of people you fit in with since there are so many different types of people here.

The students at Kansas State University are very diverse. We collectively seem to be happy people that are willing to help a lost student on campus. I don't know anyone that isn't busy and involved on campus and we take pride in everything that we do. Our campus is also very diverse and non-racist. We have many exchange students and I have seen them not be anything but welcome here. I have met people from Slovakia, Australia, England, Korea, and many more. They are all wonderful people and happy to be here. Financial backgrounds are not prevalent on campus. You can't exactly tell if there is an abundance of rich or less fortunate on campus. We are just students no one seems to think they are better than anyone else. And although we do have many students of course from Kansas, there is a good percentage that are out of state, including myself.

Sara

My classmates were eager, hard-working, passionnate, kind, talented, creative, friendly, disciplined and K-State proud!

Anthony

The majority of students are Caucasian, although there is diversity. In my dorm wing along there are Koreans, French, Chinese, and other international students, along with students from CO, GA, FL, KS, MO, and various other states. Ethnic backgrounds are also diverse down my wing; there are Hispanics, Asians, African-Americans, as well as other ethnic backgrounds. Social groups and clubs are abundant, and it seems like everyone can always find a group of people that have common interests. I believe someone who would feel out of place at this school most would probably be someone who loves the city a lot, because of the small size of the town.

Reed

A lot of students at K-State are from Kansas and if they aren't from Kansas then there is a pretty good chance that someone from their family went to K-State. There isn't an outstanding amount of diversity on campus, but there has been an increase in the amount of diversity and international students since I have been here. I've been able to attend several international student events and have learned more than I thought I would. Typically speaking, students will probably have more of conservative view on politics. But, the students at K-State are in tune with national, local and campus politics. When you go to class you'll probably see a lot of students dress casual, jeans and a shirt. Sometimes you'll see people in suits and sometimes you'll see people in pajamas, but for the most part you can expect to see students wearing the same thing you see people at the mall wearing.

Kelly

everyone is so friendly! you meet a lot of new friends, like i did through marching band. there is always someone you know while walking across campus. if you are lost, dont be afraid to ask for help! different types of students interact at this school. i'm friends with people majoring in agriculture,art, animal science, and so many more.

Kirstin

I feel like I may have been naive before coming to K-State. Once moving into the residence halls, I experienced things I never had before! Most K-State students are open to the racial, religious, sexual orientation, and other groups on campus. K-State has a strong international program and is open to all cultures. I, for one, invited an international student to spend the holiday break with us my sophomore year. Her name was Na and it was so neat seeing her interact with my culture and to learn about her culture! We both had learned so much from the experience. I just wish I had been so open to these sort of things before K-State, but I am grateful regardless. Once you meet someone at this university, it is easy to meet more. Half way through the semester, most people have great groups of friends that they can dine with, watch movies with, or go out to Aggieville with. Financial backgrounds are not prevalent at this university. I come from a poor background but know many from a strong financial background. It just isn't something anyone really worries about here.

Joseph

Students are given ample opportunities to join hundreds of different student organizations and clubs. K-State students have a reputation of being active, friendly and happy, and it is always nice to meet people that live up to that reputation. Students can always find a group of people they feel comfortable with, especially if they spend time in the dorms to find people that are also looking for friends. Students often wear comfortable attire to class, such as sweats and sweatshirts. However, it isn't uncommon to see students dressed in suits on campus to fulfill greek organization obligations or to present a class project.

Cody

Traditionally the students of Kansas State University are right wing Republicans, though, we do have a number of Democrats as well as left wing students on our campus. Racially our campus is majority Caucasian but we do have diversity in some of our major colleges such as engineering. There are also a number of LGBT students on campus, they are very accepted into different clubs and organizations and treated as the equals they should be. Religiously K-State and Manhattan have many options to fulfill your spiritual need whether it be a Christian based church or an Islamic temple. Students on our campus are very outgoing and friendly, walking through campus there are constantly people smiling, waving, and telling each other hello. Manhattan actually has the nickname of Manhappiness by K-State students. Campus involvement is a very popular thing at Kansas State University, many students are involved and hold office positions within their club or organizations of choice on campus.

Nikita

I really got involved with NAVS [or Navigators] this semester and it is one of the Youth Ministry Groups on campus. The staff is really friendly! I don't think anyone would really feel out of place at K-State. In the dining halls, everyone usually sits together regardless of social class etc. I feel that because of busy college schedules a lot of people don't have time to keep up with politics. A majority of the people here are from KS.

Tara

Diversity is a perk about a larger university. One great example is our union. If you want to see diversity at work, walk into our union around noon and look around at all the people around you. You will hear a variety of languages, see a variety of skin colors and possibly even see some different cultures taking effect. We have many groups at K-State, and those don't just stop at sports or the greek system. There are social, racial, religious groups here as well.

Jessie

K-State has a very diverse group of students. We have the International Student Services, for those students that are international. We also have the LGBT community - K-State is a very open campus and very accepting. I don't think any potential student would ever feel out of place here, there is literally something for everyone. Students are very laid back here, we have students that dress to impress; while, others wear pj's and slippers.

Siniva

Kansas State University is pretty conservative. There is not a tremendous amount of diversity here and the majority of student population is White. But there are many organizations that feature other cultures and races. Being African American and Pacific Islander at first I felt very out of place here. I would be one of maybe five or six Non-White students in all of my classes and found myself extremely uncomfortable at first. But as I started to meet new people and get to know these unfamiliar faces I became more than comfortable and at ease. They were very friendly and not as different as I pre-judged. This experience helped transform my worldview and allowed me to get out of my comfort zone. Another thing that helped was that there are many organizations that are specifically for minorities such as Black Student Union, Foreign Exchange Club, and other similar clubs. It was very easy to get involved and everyone was more than welcoming.Though many of the students come from wealthy families you will seldom meet one that doesn't have a job on or off campus. Students here are very driven and hard working so you may never know they are wealthy unless you ask which I liked because I felt it allowed us to be on somewhat of a level playing field. Every student claims to be "broke" and every student claims to be "working my ass off" which to me was comforting knowing we are all here working hard together.

Siniva

There are so many different people at K-state. I don't think anyone could really feel out of place here. It's one of the great things about my school. In general, the students are very friendly, and the faculty is very helpful. If you are looking for religious groups, there are tons! Some that I have been to are Christian Challenge, StuMo, and Navigators. I highly recommend them, and there are many others which I have never attended, but they are available on campus. There are also many clubs on campus. If you have a specific interest, consider joining one of them. Also, your college/major will most likely have some clubs available for you to join, or there are also scholarship sororities/fraternities. There are many foreign-exchange students on campus. I recommend living in the dorms for at least your freshman year so that you can get to know people of all sorts of backgrounds! It is so interesting and fun to meet different people. :) Most people wear casual clothing. (I prefer jeans and k-state t-shirts) Unless you're in the agriculture program, in which case you will see lots of belt buckles and boots! :-)

Since Kanas State is a state school, most students are from Kansas. However, there are a few from out of state who have had parents that went here or that are here for the competitive Engineering, Architecture, or Interior Design programs. Everyone is accepting of where people come from but people from Kansas obviously have more to connect with than people from out of state.

Kayla

When I first entered college, I was absolutely terrified of all of the people I did not know in my classes. However, after the very first day, that fear went right out of the window. Students at K-State are welcoming and warm to newcomers, and are always willing to help each other when needed. People love to interact with all different types of students on campus, and we are a very close-knit community. Our motto, every man a wildcat (EMAW), is instilled in our brains from day one, and students care for each other on campus. I have never felt like I was out of place, except maybe when the pilots talk about weird pilot things that I definitely do not understand, and the students at K-State make my college experience great!

Blair

I came from a high school of over 2,000 students and sit next to students everyday who had a graduating class of less than 50. Somehow, we find a way to get along. I have yet to have a class in college where I wouldn't feel comfortable leaning over to the person next to me, asking for a pencil, and continuing a convesation with that person regardless of race, religion, or sex. With so many different students there are obviously different financial backgrounds. This is what makes K-State great. We have a program at our school that is the only philanthropy of its kind. It's by students, for students. Each year students donate $10 to receive a t-shirt for the K-State PROUD campaign. This money goes into a general scholarship fund that goes back directly to K-State students who apply because they don't have other financial options. With local business donations this fund raised over $100,000 for students right here at our University!!

It may sound cliched, but I met some of my best friends in class, you just never know who you'll meet!

Jill

My classmates that I have met are some of the coolest people I know and I still hang out with people I met first semester from my classes.

Rebecca

My classmates are friendly and it is easy to find a group of people with the same interests as yourself.

Dustin

They are all helpful and open minded about the classes that they are attending.

Paige

You will meet all kinds of people here, from Farmkids to city slickers, K-State students are a mix of everything!

Larissa

Kind and caring that like to have fun with friends.

Alexandra

At Kansas State University my classmates are very pleasent to share the acidemic enviroment with, as well as being truly interrested in wanting understanding who I am as a person and sharing new vaules and ideas.

Patrick

My classmates at Kansas State University are motivated and driven to work hard.

Alan

My classmates are people I must meet to build friendships with so I can utilize their knowledge and perspectives to better my life now and for years to come.

Julianna

Everyone in the class wants to help you, professors and students alike, to succeed.

Jackie

Classmates are mostly intellectual, always willing to help one another, friendly, and most are from Kansas.

Cindy

My classmates are all friendly and passionate about Kansas State.

Monica

My classmates are a friendly group of students who are looking to maximize their college experience.

Kristin

I have made so many friends here on campus, because everyone is helpful, kind, and ready to work, and because of the diverse student population here.