Kansas State University

« See more reviews of Kansas State University

Kansas State offers an endless number of activities, groups, clubs, and teams. Everything from intramural flag football to the Advertising Club is available to students. I am involved in a wide array of clubs and organizations, including intramural sports, Pi Beta Phi Fraternity for Women, Greeks Going Green, Transfer Ambassador Program, and Advertising Club. Every student is free to be involved in whatever group, organization, or team interests them. There is no limit to the amount each person can get involved on campus. Intramural sports are very popular here. So you played basketball in high school, but you aren't quite good enough to play for K-State? No big deal, there's a great opportunity for you to keep playing the sport you love by joining an intramural team! Several of the Greek houses form intramural teams, and every student, no matter if they are a Freshman or "Super Senior", is eligible to play in intramural sports. Sports, clubs, and organizations are great ways to meet new friends. I have made so many new contacts by joining several different organizations on campus. Even just going potluck in the dorms is a perfect way to expose yourself to new opportunities with new people. Most people come to college with the intention of redefining themselves from high school, and K-State is an excellent environment to do just that. With all of the new opportunities, it would be hard NOT to meet new people. Fraternities and Sororities are a great way to meet new people and have great experiences, but they are not the only way. Greek life is not for everyone; starting out your time at K-State by living in the dorms is the way to go, especially if you do not plan on joining a Greek Chapter. By living in the dorms, you get the feeling of community with your floor, and it is an ideal opportunity to make new friends. In most situations, you will have 2-3 roommates - what better and easier way is there to make a handful of new friends? The dorms provide students with a sense of community, and are a perfect way to start off your social life at KSU.

Intermurals is popular to participate in on campus. Greek life houses a large amount of K-state students with-in their organizations. There are also many, many clubs that students are involved in, if it be with the residence halls, their major in particular, or special interest clubs. I am involved with the organization Association of Residence Halls, or ARH, where I act as president. We help with events, policies and other such things concerning the residence halls and their students. Many student in the residence halls leave their doors open, its a way of welcoming others in to talk, ask questions or just stop by. Athletic events are very popular on campus, a large amount of students attend such things as basketball games, football games, volleyball games, and so on. Guest speakers are also popular, but sometimes it depends on who is speaking. Theater is another even that is depends on the show for how much of a turn out it recieves, but I have attended many sold out showings here at K-state. I met some of my closest friends first in the residence halls by living down the hall from them or living in the same room as them. Also I ahve met many friends through my sorority Alpha Xi Delta. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I am probably studying or cramming for a test that I have soon. The amount people party at K-state is based on the individual person. Some like to go out many times in the week/weekend, others only once, and others not at all. I personaly believe that sororities and fraternities are a great way to meet many other people and be involved on campus and with other organizations. Last weekend, I mostly hung out with friends and finished any homeowkr I had to be done! If you do not drink there are still many things to do on a saturday night. One option that comes to mind is that the Student Union offers a movie on some Saturday nights for a small price that you can go see, you can also go out to eat, go to the rec, the list goes on and on. In my time off campus, I see friends, go out, go to the lake when its warm, shop, etc.

The Greek community is one of the thriving groups on campus. Roughly 15% of the campus is Greek but they hold roughly 75% of the leadership positions on campus. K-State is a hazing-free campus that takes pride in the Greek community. Many students also go to the recreational center in their spare time. The recreational center is expanding and is going to have some awesome features when it is finished. If you want to play an intramural sport, there are more than 40 available. You can play with people you know or join a new team. Hey, you can even have a co-ed team. Athletic games have provided me with some of my favorite experiences on campus. I've traveled to Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, New York and all over Kansas to watch the Wildcats play. If you love sports (or just a good time) then you'll make your way to the tailgate scene when the Wildcats play football at Bill Snyder Family Stadium. Feel like hitting the town? Aggieville is the bar district at K-State and it gets hopping on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. There are lots of different places to go and each one has a different feel. Prices are great and good times are always in session. Not feeling like drinking or aren't 21? No problem! K-State Union Programing Council holds events every Friday night that students can go to. Plus, with all the shopping, a movie theater, the recreational center and other campus events going on, there is always something else you can do. Last but not least, philanthropy. There are too many philanthropic opportunities on the K-State campus to count. One of them is K-State PROUD, an all student led philanthropy where students help raise money for other students on campus that are facing hard times. Hundreds of thousands of dollars have been raised by students, for students. If you can't find something to do at this university, you haven't tried.

A large population of students are involved in sororities or fraternities yet an even greater portion of students are involved in an array of organizations on the college campus. Many of the events and parties thrown thought the school year are put on by fraternities and sororities and they are always a ton of fun.Everyone has the opportunity to get involved and the school spirit here at K-State is unprecedented. There is never an empty seat at games and stadiums are packed with loyal fans that bleed school spirit! The athletes are pretty down-to-earth and are very friendly around campus. They love their fans and have no problem showing it outside of games. The dorm life is pretty awesome here.Students feel comfortable leaving their room doors open and are allowed to customize their rooms any way they please. There are rules to ensure the safety of every student and even a system set up to walk students from campus to their dorms during late hours of the night. The dorms are a great place to meet new people especially as a freshman. There are always activities in dorm lobbies and spaces specifically for studying with groups or alone quietly. Aggieville is awesome for those students over 21 that want to unwind and have a few drinks with their peers. Most places in Aggieville throw parties like "Beauty on the Beach" where students can enter contests and win prizes and are a blast. For students under 21 there are a ton of on campus events like cosmic bowling, movies, and other parties that take place almost weekly! Kansas State is the place to be!

Fraternities and sororities are very popular at Kansas State. They are a great way to make life long friends and career connections. There are also a lot of clubs to join on campus. There is almost a type of club for any interest. I myself am a member of the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity or TKE for short. I have met many of my closest friends through TKE from being involved in the fraternity for the past 3 years. Not to mention you get to meet a lot of people of the opposite sex. I have many friends who have had long-term, serious girlfriends from being in a fraternity. Most of the girls I have met are also involved in the Greek life at KSU. The girls in sororities love to hang out and party with fraternity guys. People in my fraternity like to party in general a lot but being in the fraternity does not mean you are forced to party. People in fraternities are also very good about having their priorities set which makes being able to party easier. Getting things accomplished is key to success in college and a fraternity/sorority definitely helps. Being involved whether in the Greek community or another student organization is very important to building a good resume for a career after college as well. I also have an on-campus job as an advertising sales representative for the K-State Collegian and K-State Phonebook. My job and my fraternity have put me in good positions that will open many doors for me in my future.

I'm not really involved with an organization persay, but I do enjoy helping out with the theatre department! I've helped with painting sets and I even learned how to do que to que with a sound board. I'm also big on attending football and basketball games, and try to go to every home game. There's also my random visits to campus events in the student Union and watching all the big productions in the theatre building, Nichols Hall. I don't know what the biggest thing to do is at the moment, except for joining greek organizations, sports games and movies on the lawn infront of Hale library. Most people meet each other in a certain class or just end up bumping into each other while running around their dorm! There's also lots of connections, because your friends tend to know other people, which you may end up just finding your bestest bud among them. If I'm awake at 2am in the morning, then I'm either finishing up on a homework assignment, watching an old classic or hanging out in the lobby with my friends while listening to music and working on a paper. Sometimes I'll be out doing karaoke with one of my coolest friends, then going out for some Sonic tatertots afterwards. It really just depends on my work load, or if I have to get up before the sun rises and shines.

At Kansas State University we have over 475 clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. They range from scuba diving, to Duck's Unlimited, to Student Governing Association. All of these clubs and organizations give students a chance to not only keep their favorite hobbies when they come to college but also create a new network on campus. We have NCAA, Club, and intramural sports here on campus. K-State offers students the best seats in the Big 12, making athletic events a very popular activity for students. As a student you are able to sit on the 50 yard line for football and at mid-court during basketball games. Intramural sports are very popular activities for students to participate in around campus. Each sport has a Greek, Individual, and Co-Ed making many opportunities to be competitive in your strengths as well as meet new people. The social scene is also very strong throughout Manhattan, Aggieville is a great shopping district as well as a nice place for night life. Greek houses also have social events such as date parties, philanthropies, and other activities to be involved in throughout the semester, making social life very accessible at K-State.

I decided to live on a cluster floor with other students from my major. I found that not only did students leave their doors open, but there was always people dropping in and out of everyone elses rooms. If someones grandma sent them extra brownies they would take them down the hall and ask if anyone wanted some. If someone had a question about a physics problem they could knock on their neighbors door and ask if they knew how to help. Its a very open environment. Athletic events are like religion. If you are not there than you have nothing to talk about for the next week, especially if we win. On Fridays theres always a movie showing at the Union for only $1, and they do "after hours" events which is where students can go if they don't want to go party. There are concerts and salsa dances, we've even been known to play giant games of campus hide-and-go-seek. Off campus we go four-wheeling with friends or go splash in the water at Pillsbury crossing when its nice outside. When you're stuck in a classroom all week, you're going to want to get outside as much as possible on the weekends.

K-STATE FOOTBALL!!!! A big thing here on campus, reguardless of whether or not we're winning that particular season. Tailgating, cheering, student bonding, you name it, football provides it. It also brings the community into the college scene. The dorms tend to leave their doors open, most at least, especially the coed dorms. There is always something going on campus, whether it's a sporting event, something put on by the Union Program Council (they bring in different bands or acts etc.), or something put on by any of the other organizations. Aggieville is the major part of K-State social life. Although there isn't much to do if you're under 21, there are a few local bars that are 18 and over after 9 pm. Kite's, is the coolest sports bar ever, and the place to be when games are out of town. Fraternities and Sororities are... well I'm not involved in them. I have a few guy friends in Frats, but that's about it. They think they're big on campus, and I'm not really a fan of them. Some of them however are amazing groups of people... the tri delts i would suggest staying away from.

When it comes to the dorms, most people are extremely open to others. Most doors are usually open and everyone is super friendly. Most of my closest friends are people I have met through random chance. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, its nothing abnormal for me. Usually I will be watching TV, hanging out with my roommates, or doing homework that I've put off or forgotten about. Athletic events are SUPER popular. Everyone loves to spend time with their friends at games and tailgating... along with sporting events comes Homecoming week. The greek community and the dorms have a huge week of competitions. There is Wildcat Request Live (WRL), Pant the Chant, Paint the ville, and the huge parade. The whole week is caped off with our Homecoming Football game. There is always a party to go to if you want to, but if you don't feel like drinking there is plenty to keep you busy as well. You can go to a movie, bowl, sing karaoke... almost anything you want to do.