Kansas State University

« See more reviews of Kansas State University

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

The most common stereotype of students at our school is that we are all hicks and rednecks. Being the agriculture college of Kansas we have developed this stereotype, though in the last ten years many of our other colleges have become very strong. The colleges of architecture, engineering, as well as our interior design program are all top 10 programs in the nation. With such strong majors in those fields we have began bringing in a very diverse student population. Our Greek system is also very strong here at Kansas State University. 20% of the student population is in one of the 24 traditional fraternities or 13 sororities. The Greek system at K-State is also very involved, holding 65% of the leadership positions on campus the Greeks have proven that they have developed a very strong network throughout campus as well as Manhattan.

The common stereotype for Kansas State University is that we are all hillbillies from small towns majoring in agriculture. Kansas State is known for their agriculture program but there are hundreds of different majors to choose from at K-State. My school does have a large Greek life and with that, comes many stereotypes. Being a large state school (24,000) we also have many athletes. I think at times most of the stereotypes are accurate, but I don't feel as though people are judged because of the groups that they choose to be involved in. K-State is a very welcoming campus, but of course there is always going to be stereotypes. Whether you are a rocket scientist, or a sorority girl, there are so many students on campus that you are bound to find your niche that you feel comfortable in.

Stereotypes about universities can change drastically as you speak to people from different parts of the world and people with different ages and gender. In order to fully experience the type of students that attend a university, the best thing to do is visit the campus. However, Kansas State University is consistently ranked highly among schools across the nation in campus friendliness. With this in mind, the main stereotype of KSU is that it is a campus full of people that are willing to help. The jocks, frat kids, stoners and geeks all fit in on campus in their own way, but together, we can form a positive stereotype of a friendly group.

I don't believe there is a strong stereotype for all of the students at Kansas State. There are around 24,000 students currently enrolled, therefore there is much diversity. We do have a prominent Greek system, but it is balanced out by a large number of foreign students, athletes, farm kids, and many other "types" of students. Prior to coming to K-State, the only stereotype I had heard about our university is that it is made up of "hicks" and that it is a farm town. This stereotype is very far from the truth. Kansas State has several different groups, and there is a place for every student to fit in.

I would say that the most common stereotype for Kansas State to outsiders is that we are all rednecks. This stereotype is brought on because we are a leading agriculture university in the United States. Although we have an excellent agriculture program, we have many programs to fit any type of person! I would say the stereotype is inaccurate because I see a bunch of students that don't fit the stereotype of a "redneck". Actually, I see more students wearing tennis shoes and ball caps then I see wearing cowboy boots and Wranglers. KSU has many different programs to fit a wide variety of people!

They typical K-State student stereotype is the good 'ol farm boy. While we do boast an excellent agriculture program, that stereotype isn't accurate. Our largest college is the college of arts and sciences and we have engineering and architecture programs that are considered to be some of the best in the nation. There is also a thriving Greek community that has members from all different walks of life, from Western Kansas to Johnson County and from California to New York. The one thing all K-State students do share in common is pride for their school and purple as a favorite color!

Kansas State University is an Agriculture school but it is much more than that. There are students that come from farms but there is a good mix of students from all over and from very different backgrounds. There is so many different types of people here but one overall consensus is that students at K-State are nice. Everyone is friendly and willing to help you which isn't something that all universities have, especially one as large as K-State. There's something about Manhattan that makes it a very enjoyable place to live.

There are a few different stereotypes thrown around the campus of Kansas State University. One of the largest stereotypes from other schools would be that we are all hicks at K-State, due to the fact that it is a large agriculture school. During my experience at K-State I have learned that the stereotype is very misleading. Yes, K-State is a agriculture school, and I'm sure a good one, though it also has many great majors to offer, from Journalism and Mass Communications to Bio Engineering.

There are a few major stereotypes at my school. The most prominent is the "farm kid". While there are several agriculture students, just because you come from a farm doesn't mean you'll study such. Also, coming from a farm or being an ag student doesn't mean a person lacks intelligence. Another common stereotype is the jock or football player who goes through girl after girl and parties all the time. This seems like a typical stereotype as does that of the sorority girl.

We have quite a wide variety of students at our school. Taking a glance around you see lots of fraternity and sorority kids walking next to the aggies (agriculture students), of which there are many. You can always tell the architect students by the glaze in their eyes from not sleeping in a month and a half. The rest of us fall somewhere in the middle. Overall, the stereotypes don't usually keep anyone from anyone else, and just like our Library, we're open to anyone!