Kansas State University Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Teresa

There are such kids....apparently some groups or clubs are made for the americans only as they are believed to be intelligent and straight ....its so embarrasing as sometime one can become a laughing stock because of your skin colour or where you come from ......this applies to the international students from the continent Africa.....its so painful as ones self esteem is greatly lowered and they feel ilke its nt where they belong

Aaron

Upper middle class richy kind of students. I do believe it because of clothes, cars, laptops, newest cellphones and how they act. Don't get me wrong there are students like me that still have to provide for themselves. Working part time jobs, the working class. But K state displays a lot of young money. Which still bugs me if they're not working then where are they getting the money. They are too young to get loans other then federal student loans. if they are using them as spending money not on books and tuition then how did they get them.

Megan

I think that the stereotype of our school is that we are all cowboys and cowgirls. No, this is not correct. We have all kinds of people.

Xinchi

We have a group of nice people in Kansas State University.

Haley

Many people would stereotype the students at K-State as "frat kids" because this school has such a thriving Greek community with over thirty fraternities and sororities. Although there are students that fit in to this stereotype it is not accurate for the student population. There is a wide range of students here and it was easy for me to find where I fit in.

Mattie

Most students at my school are stereotyped as smart, kind, successful people that are avid Wildcat fans. I would say that this is an accurate stereotype!

Casey

At Kansas State, there honestly are no stereotypes. Of course you have the greek kids that always hang out together, but no one is stuck up, and no one cares here. I have tons of friends that are in sororites and fraternties and I'm not in a house, but everyone is accepting, and really, really friendly.

Katie

Most students in the area stereotype us as the Ag school and therefore picture us as country hicks. While we do have a great Agricultural program at Kansas State, a lot of us have no green thumb. I for one know nothing about plants and as far as country music goes, I can't stand it. On another note, KU is the school that waves the wheat, not us.

Students at Kansas State University often get stereotyped as "hicks" and "farmers." To be completely honest, the College of Agriculture here at KSU is spectacular and we do have a large group of students with agriculture majors but in no way does this make us all "hicks" and "farmers." We have students from all over the United States, and even the World! Everyone can find friends at KSU.

Mallorie

There are a few major stereotypes at my school. The most prominent is the "farm kid". While there are several agriculture students, just because you come from a farm doesn't mean you'll study such. Also, coming from a farm or being an ag student doesn't mean a person lacks intelligence. Another common stereotype is the jock or football player who goes through girl after girl and parties all the time. This seems like a typical stereotype as does that of the sorority girl.

Zhangmuge

Farm kids, diversity, lots of racist, crazy sorority girls

Jasmine

Common stereotypes of students at K-State is that athletes are like celebrities, and the Greek organizations on campus are an entire different world. I'm pretty sure that being an athlete or a member of a Greek organization has a lot more responsibility than just being an average student.

Kassi

One stereotype of students at my school is that everyone loves the color purple and that my school is an extreme party school. First, not everyone loves the color purple here. Some people simply like and some people absolutely can't stand it. Second, Kansas State is not simply a party school. Do parties happen here? Yes. Does every single college student party on the weekends? Of course not.

One of the big ones I would have to say is Greek. We have a very large Greek community and everyone who isn't Greek is considered a GDI. This is very true that we do have a large Greek community but it is by no means our entire campus. Half of my friends are GDI's and they have just as much going on as we Greeks do. in addition we have many different ethnicities and foreign exchange students.

Kameron

The stereotype of students is fraternity and sorority students. Yes, this stereotype is accurate.

Jeremy

Kansas is known for its abundance in flat, boring land. Because of this, agriculture is a huge part of life here. Students at Kansas State University tend to have the stereotype as a bunch of farmers who are going to school to learn more about, well, farming. Of course this isn't true. Though the school does offer an excellent agriculture program and the major is popular, there are a variety of other majors.

Anthony

That we are hicks or red necks, this is not true. And this stereotype may come from the fact that we have roots as a agriculture school.

Dani

The common stereotype for Kansas State University is that we are all hillbillies from small towns majoring in agriculture. Kansas State is known for their agriculture program but there are hundreds of different majors to choose from at K-State. My school does have a large Greek life and with that, comes many stereotypes. Being a large state school (24,000) we also have many athletes. I think at times most of the stereotypes are accurate, but I don't feel as though people are judged because of the groups that they choose to be involved in. K-State is a very welcoming campus, but of course there is always going to be stereotypes. Whether you are a rocket scientist, or a sorority girl, there are so many students on campus that you are bound to find your niche that you feel comfortable in.

Anthony

I believe the stereotype of a KSU student is a student who likes study, but knows how to take a break and relax. I am always able to find classmates who will study with me, but if i wont to go out to dinner or the gym there is always someone as well. I believe another stereotype of KSU students is that they have very strong school spirit, this is true, we love our school!

Reed

They typical K-State student stereotype is the good 'ol farm boy. While we do boast an excellent agriculture program, that stereotype isn't accurate. Our largest college is the college of arts and sciences and we have engineering and architecture programs that are considered to be some of the best in the nation. There is also a thriving Greek community that has members from all different walks of life, from Western Kansas to Johnson County and from California to New York. The one thing all K-State students do share in common is pride for their school and purple as a favorite color!

Kelly

friendly and helpful. yes, this campus is very friendly and helpful.

Lynnsey

A common stereotype is that K-State students, because of the schools location, are farmers or hicks. Another stereotype is that K-State is in the middle of nowhere. Both of these stereotypes are false. While some K-State students did grow up on farms or live in the country, more than half of the students are from the Kansas City area or a big city. Also, K-State is in the Northeastern Kansas region, but is located in the city of Manhattan, Kansas. Manhattan has a lot of things to do, and has everything you need that bigger cities have. So, while you are driving there it may seem like you're heading to the middle of no where, but once you get to K-State and become familiar with Manhattan, you realize what all things there are to do.

Lynnsey

Kirstin

A lot of people think that we are all "country folk" and walk around in boots. Indeed, some do, but not all. K-State is a prestigious university with a strong agriculture program. But there are many majors, many people, and many cultures displayed throughout the campus.

Ellen

The cool thing about K-State is although there are the typical stereotypes (frat stars, stoners, study nerds, the over-involved activist, etc.), there is a mutual understood respect that runs throughout each group. Regardless of who you are or where you came from, if you're wearing purple, you're accepted.

Joseph

Stereotypes about universities can change drastically as you speak to people from different parts of the world and people with different ages and gender. In order to fully experience the type of students that attend a university, the best thing to do is visit the campus. However, Kansas State University is consistently ranked highly among schools across the nation in campus friendliness. With this in mind, the main stereotype of KSU is that it is a campus full of people that are willing to help. The jocks, frat kids, stoners and geeks all fit in on campus in their own way, but together, we can form a positive stereotype of a friendly group.

Cody

The most common stereotype of students at our school is that we are all hicks and rednecks. Being the agriculture college of Kansas we have developed this stereotype, though in the last ten years many of our other colleges have become very strong. The colleges of architecture, engineering, as well as our interior design program are all top 10 programs in the nation. With such strong majors in those fields we have began bringing in a very diverse student population. Our Greek system is also very strong here at Kansas State University. 20{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student population is in one of the 24 traditional fraternities or 13 sororities. The Greek system at K-State is also very involved, holding 65{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the leadership positions on campus the Greeks have proven that they have developed a very strong network throughout campus as well as Manhattan.

Cody

Nikita

A lot of people believe that teachers go easier on jocks because they're not as intellectual, but since they are representing the school in a positive manner that they deserve some slack when in reality they have to work just as hard as the rest of us.

Tara

There are a few different stereotypes thrown around the campus of Kansas State University. One of the largest stereotypes from other schools would be that we are all hicks at K-State, due to the fact that it is a large agriculture school. During my experience at K-State I have learned that the stereotype is very misleading. Yes, K-State is a agriculture school, and I'm sure a good one, though it also has many great majors to offer, from Journalism and Mass Communications to Bio Engineering.

Morgan

I don't believe there is a strong stereotype for all of the students at Kansas State. There are around 24,000 students currently enrolled, therefore there is much diversity. We do have a prominent Greek system, but it is balanced out by a large number of foreign students, athletes, farm kids, and many other "types" of students. Prior to coming to K-State, the only stereotype I had heard about our university is that it is made up of "hicks" and that it is a farm town. This stereotype is very far from the truth. Kansas State has several different groups, and there is a place for every student to fit in.

Greyson

For starters, it's dung-smelling hicks in cowboy boots who chew on toothpicks. It's also, say, all farmers, born and bred in the little apple or western Kansas. Stereotypes harbor bits of truth, of course, and it's true that many K-state students come from farming families and western Kansas, and some even wear cowboy boots. But what's much more the truth is that K-state is composed of all sorts of people with various interests, religious views, and ethnicities. The University in general, and particularly K-state, is a microcosm of the true melting pot, brimming with every kind of person.

Reese

I would say that the most common stereotype for Kansas State to outsiders is that we are all rednecks. This stereotype is brought on because we are a leading agriculture university in the United States. Although we have an excellent agriculture program, we have many programs to fit any type of person! I would say the stereotype is inaccurate because I see a bunch of students that don't fit the stereotype of a "redneck". Actually, I see more students wearing tennis shoes and ball caps then I see wearing cowboy boots and Wranglers. KSU has many different programs to fit a wide variety of people!

Heather

The stereotype at K-State is that all students are crazy partiers, but that is not the case. Most of the people I know are hardworking students who have fun, but take their education seriously. There is a diverse student body here.

Jessie

I honestly don't know of any stereotypes associated with our students.

Tierra

Some stereotypes are that some students are racist, all the students care about is athletics, stoners.

Katie

We have quite a wide variety of students at our school. Taking a glance around you see lots of fraternity and sorority kids walking next to the aggies (agriculture students), of which there are many. You can always tell the architect students by the glaze in their eyes from not sleeping in a month and a half. The rest of us fall somewhere in the middle. Overall, the stereotypes don't usually keep anyone from anyone else, and just like our Library, we're open to anyone!

Reese

Reese

Keegan

You can't truly stereotype a body of students this large from what I've seen in my experience. Thats part of the beauty of K-State and other institutions like it, the potential to find what you're going to be and how you're going about being it is vast and endless. One major trend I have noticed here is that a majority of the students spend a lot of their time in Hale Library, I feel like that does much to reflect what the university is all about.

sarah

Really nice, caring people is the steriotype of my school. People are genuinely interested in you here. It was my first impression and still is. I've had friends visit and they say the same thing everytime. Other than that, everyone is diverse. There are a lot of smart, talented hard workering students who still love to enjoy life!

At Kansas State University you will definitely find these three most common stereotypes: Geeks, Farmers, and the party-goers. We have a great agriculture and engineering program at our school. The College of Agriculture brings...you guessed it!...Farmers! However, contrary to typical belief, some city-folk attend this college as well. I was in the program my freshman year, as I desired to become a Veterinarian. Also, a new Ag business major is becoming more popular amongst the "general" people. The Engineering school not only brings "geeks" to k-state, but also many foreign exchange students. It is so cool to get to know people from different cultures and background than you! It's one of the great things K-state has going for their school! Finally, the party-goers at k-state are evident. Conveniently enough, the town of Manhattan has a quaint little downtown called Aggieville right next to campus! And yes, it is frequented on "Thirsty Thursdays" and weekends. However, Aggiville, despite what many think, isn't just a party place! I go there quite often with my friends to grab a bite to eat, shop at Varneys Bookstore, or go to the Radinas coffee shop. Whenever my family comes to visit me, I always bring them to the popular Aggieville! P.S. the Chipotle there is AMAZING! In conclusion, yes, my school does live up to its stereotypes; they're there for a reason! But, oftentimes there is so much more going on behind the scenes that you really can't know unless you visit!.....or check out sites like this one. ;-)

Natalie

Well, for the most part, KSU students, as students enrolled at a big state university, have that reputation for being crazy, drunken sports fans. However, for the most part, I've found that this isn't true. Of course there are those people who go out to Aggieville and get wasted, but they're a very loud minority. For the most part, while most of the students here are very supportive of sports teams, and things can get a little wild at times, people handle themselves pretty well. A lot of students don't even go to the games!

Macy

With every college comes a diverse range of stereotypes. At K-State, we have a couple of common ones: farmers and frat stars. The "farmer" stereotype stems from our wonderful agriculture program that we have here. Although we have this outstanding program in a rural community, the agriculture students due not overwhelm the campus. We have a diverse community with many differing people and majors. The "frat stars" stereotype has become a more prominent stereotype due to our large Greek system. These individuals can be seen as "better than the rest" or the "partiers." What you may not know, though, is that people in the Greek community make up for approximately 80{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the leadership positions on campus. Our Greek system is made up of amazing individuals who strive for the betterment of themselves and our university.

Macy

Travis

The rednecks and potheads of K-State main campus and the cocky pilots and nerdy engineers of the Salina campus comprise the majority of student stereotypes at KSU. While there are a select few students who see these stereotypes as badges of honor and do their damnedest to live up to every aspect of their perspective title, they are in the minority on both campuses. K-State has some world class degree programs that attract many students who are interested in those fields, and while many of those fields come with a stereotype attached, the relaxed campus atmosphere gives you enough freedom to explore who you are without the burden of those constraints. As for the pothead stereotype, the sad but true fact is no matter where you go there are always a few people who have made some poor life choices, but honestly unless you are intentionally seeking it out, you won't even know it's going on. Even if you are in a degree field with a stereotype the atmosphere on campus doesn't allow those stereotypes to define you!

Kansas State University is an Agriculture school but it is much more than that. There are students that come from farms but there is a good mix of students from all over and from very different backgrounds. There is so many different types of people here but one overall consensus is that students at K-State are nice. Everyone is friendly and willing to help you which isn't something that all universities have, especially one as large as K-State. There's something about Manhattan that makes it a very enjoyable place to live.

Kayla

People generally stereotype K-State students as either being cowboy hicks, stupid sorority/fraternity members, cocky pilots, or the people who are involved in way too many things. While many of these stereotypes exist on the main and Salina campuses, I think our that the labels instantly are forgotten once you meet the welcoming and warm people on campus. Everyone seems to have their own stories and backgrounds, which is what makes us so unique.

Blair

Because K-State was founded as a land grant University, many people have a stereotype about K-State being all Ag kids who chew tobacco and drive tractors. While there are people who might fall into that category it's definitely not the most accurate description of our school. We have accelled in both football and basketball for athletics, won the national championship for debate last year and are overall average college students with a very diverse campus.