Kansas State University

« See more reviews of Kansas State University

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Because K-State was founded as a land grant University, many people have a stereotype about K-State being all Ag kids who chew tobacco and drive tractors. While there are people who might fall into that category it's definitely not the most accurate description of our school. We have accelled in both football and basketball for athletics, won the national championship for debate last year and are overall average college students with a very diverse campus.

People generally stereotype K-State students as either being cowboy hicks, stupid sorority/fraternity members, cocky pilots, or the people who are involved in way too many things. While many of these stereotypes exist on the main and Salina campuses, I think our that the labels instantly are forgotten once you meet the welcoming and warm people on campus. Everyone seems to have their own stories and backgrounds, which is what makes us so unique.

Kansas is known for its abundance in flat, boring land. Because of this, agriculture is a huge part of life here. Students at Kansas State University tend to have the stereotype as a bunch of farmers who are going to school to learn more about, well, farming. Of course this isn't true. Though the school does offer an excellent agriculture program and the major is popular, there are a variety of other majors.

One of the big ones I would have to say is Greek. We have a very large Greek community and everyone who isn't Greek is considered a GDI. This is very true that we do have a large Greek community but it is by no means our entire campus. Half of my friends are GDI's and they have just as much going on as we Greeks do. in addition we have many different ethnicities and foreign exchange students.

Students at Kansas State University often get stereotyped as "hicks" and "farmers." To be completely honest, the College of Agriculture here at KSU is spectacular and we do have a large group of students with agriculture majors but in no way does this make us all "hicks" and "farmers." We have students from all over the United States, and even the World! Everyone can find friends at KSU.

Many people would stereotype the students at K-State as "frat kids" because this school has such a thriving Greek community with over thirty fraternities and sororities. Although there are students that fit in to this stereotype it is not accurate for the student population. There is a wide range of students here and it was easy for me to find where I fit in.

At Kansas State, there honestly are no stereotypes. Of course you have the greek kids that always hang out together, but no one is stuck up, and no one cares here. I have tons of friends that are in sororites and fraternties and I'm not in a house, but everyone is accepting, and really, really friendly.

Common stereotypes of students at K-State is that athletes are like celebrities, and the Greek organizations on campus are an entire different world. I'm pretty sure that being an athlete or a member of a Greek organization has a lot more responsibility than just being an average student.

A lot of people think that we are all "country folk" and walk around in boots. Indeed, some do, but not all. K-State is a prestigious university with a strong agriculture program. But there are many majors, many people, and many cultures displayed throughout the campus.

A lot of people believe that teachers go easier on jocks because they're not as intellectual, but since they are representing the school in a positive manner that they deserve some slack when in reality they have to work just as hard as the rest of us.