Kansas State University

« See more reviews of Kansas State University

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

The stereotype at K-State is that all students are crazy partiers, but that is not the case. Most of the people I know are hardworking students who have fun, but take their education seriously. There is a diverse student body here.

That we are hicks or red necks, this is not true. And this stereotype may come from the fact that we have roots as a agriculture school.

The stereotype of students is fraternity and sorority students. Yes, this stereotype is accurate.

I honestly don't know of any stereotypes associated with our students.

friendly and helpful. yes, this campus is very friendly and helpful.

At Kansas State University you will definitely find these three most common stereotypes: Geeks, Farmers, and the party-goers. We have a great agriculture and engineering program at our school. The College of Agriculture brings...you guessed it!...Farmers! However, contrary to typical belief, some city-folk attend this college as well. I was in the program my freshman year, as I desired to become a Veterinarian. Also, a new Ag business major is becoming more popular amongst the "general" people. The Engineering school not only brings "geeks" to k-state, but also many foreign exchange students. It is so cool to get to know people from different cultures and background than you! It's one of the great things K-state has going for their school! Finally, the party-goers at k-state are evident. Conveniently enough, the town of Manhattan has a quaint little downtown called Aggieville right next to campus! And yes, it is frequented on "Thirsty Thursdays" and weekends. However, Aggiville, despite what many think, isn't just a party place! I go there quite often with my friends to grab a bite to eat, shop at Varneys Bookstore, or go to the Radinas coffee shop. Whenever my family comes to visit me, I always bring them to the popular Aggieville! P.S. the Chipotle there is AMAZING! In conclusion, yes, my school does live up to its stereotypes; they're there for a reason! But, oftentimes there is so much more going on behind the scenes that you really can't know unless you visit!.....or check out sites like this one. ;-)

The rednecks and potheads of K-State main campus and the cocky pilots and nerdy engineers of the Salina campus comprise the majority of student stereotypes at KSU. While there are a select few students who see these stereotypes as badges of honor and do their damnedest to live up to every aspect of their perspective title, they are in the minority on both campuses. K-State has some world class degree programs that attract many students who are interested in those fields, and while many of those fields come with a stereotype attached, the relaxed campus atmosphere gives you enough freedom to explore who you are without the burden of those constraints. As for the pothead stereotype, the sad but true fact is no matter where you go there are always a few people who have made some poor life choices, but honestly unless you are intentionally seeking it out, you won't even know it's going on. Even if you are in a degree field with a stereotype the atmosphere on campus doesn't allow those stereotypes to define you!

With every college comes a diverse range of stereotypes. At K-State, we have a couple of common ones: farmers and frat stars. The "farmer" stereotype stems from our wonderful agriculture program that we have here. Although we have this outstanding program in a rural community, the agriculture students due not overwhelm the campus. We have a diverse community with many differing people and majors. The "frat stars" stereotype has become a more prominent stereotype due to our large Greek system. These individuals can be seen as "better than the rest" or the "partiers." What you may not know, though, is that people in the Greek community make up for approximately 80% of the leadership positions on campus. Our Greek system is made up of amazing individuals who strive for the betterment of themselves and our university.

A common stereotype is that K-State students, because of the schools location, are farmers or hicks. Another stereotype is that K-State is in the middle of nowhere. Both of these stereotypes are false. While some K-State students did grow up on farms or live in the country, more than half of the students are from the Kansas City area or a big city. Also, K-State is in the Northeastern Kansas region, but is located in the city of Manhattan, Kansas. Manhattan has a lot of things to do, and has everything you need that bigger cities have. So, while you are driving there it may seem like you're heading to the middle of no where, but once you get to K-State and become familiar with Manhattan, you realize what all things there are to do.

For starters, it's dung-smelling hicks in cowboy boots who chew on toothpicks. It's also, say, all farmers, born and bred in the little apple or western Kansas. Stereotypes harbor bits of truth, of course, and it's true that many K-state students come from farming families and western Kansas, and some even wear cowboy boots. But what's much more the truth is that K-state is composed of all sorts of people with various interests, religious views, and ethnicities. The University in general, and particularly K-state, is a microcosm of the true melting pot, brimming with every kind of person.