Kansas State University

« See more reviews of Kansas State University

I don't think there was anything that I wish I would have known before coming here. At orientation and visits they informed us of almost everything. They explained the class sizes, events, living arrangements, teachers, grading, financial aid, and more. It really took my nervousness away and made me more excited and comfortable to come to this school. K-state is really a great school! It offers many different events, tutoring sessions, financial aid options, and more. If you like a medium sized school and love to be social then this is the right place for you.

Before attending my first semester at Kansas State, I wish I would have known to bring my entire collection of purple wear and gear. People take their purple seriously here! It is the only proper attire for Monday thorugh Saturday, especially for games. You can never have too much purple pride and this really reflects the attitude and love Wildcats have for our school. Every chance there is to shout "EMAW!" or "Go Cats!" is observed in endless ways, wearing t-shirts, sweaters, socks, and face paint is just the beginning.

Pay the little bit of extra money to live closer to campus. Save money and don't get a student parking pass. While parking seems doable, once everyone is on campus, it's nearly impossible to find. I was late to class several times when I lived off-campus simply because it took me half an hour to find parking and, usually, I ended up parking off-campus anyway. However, don't pay for dorms. They're not worth it, and you can actually be closer to your classes when you live in an apartment off-campus.

This doesn't apply to only my school, but college in general. I wish I had known how to study. In high school I was able to get by with just reading over my notes before a test or writing an entire paper the day before it was due. However, in college I have not been able to do that. If you can get into a rhythm of reading all of the necessary material and studying a day or two ahead of time, you should be fine with the workload you'll face in college.

I wish I would have gotten more involved right off the bat my freshman year. I kind of layed low my first semester here. I loved getting to know the people in my residence hall, but I would have loved meeting a larger variety of people. I am now very involved and I really enjoy knowing more people. Also, I wish that I would have utilized my academic advisor more. They are really there to help and are great people.

How useful and awesome studying abroad is. I studied in Guatemala in the summer and taught English. I never thought so much could be learned outside of a classroom! Studying abroad is really easy to do early, most students exchange their sophomore year. I had to squeeze it in, but still was able to do it. So I wish someone would tell me to just look into it and do it! It is a life-changing experiment.

College is a different experience, my first semester in college was all about figuring out my new life schedule. It took me awhile to figure out how to appropriate my time between all my activities. It would have been nice to have a better idea about the diferent stresses in college life ahead of time and to have better time management skills.

The level of expectations, especially from the junior college in which I transferred from. I wish I would have pushed myself harder in the years before coming to Kansas State University. Not only in junior college but also in high school. After my first semester here I already see a change in my drive and aspirations to do better academically.

I wish I had comprehended just how much school actually costs. If I had, I wouldn't have spent so much money on books and movies and hanging out with my friends during high school. I would have definitely saved more money. It is hard when your financial aide is determined by how much your parents make, but they don't help pay for college.

You will get out of college what you put into it. If you spend time studying, you will get good grades; if you spend time socializing, you will make lots of friends; if you go out and party then you will make lots of memories and mistakes. Whatever you nurture and pay attention to the most will flourish and that you neglect will wilt.