Kaplan University-Hagerstown Campus Top Questions

I have been attending Kaplan University Online for a year now, and I have had a great experience so far. The only thing that I have had a problem with is financial aid, as the school does 4 terms a year instead of the regular 3 semesters, and can be confusing. The teachers are very involved with the students, and there are a lot of groups and extracurricular activities. There is also options for tutoring, which has been extremely helpful.

Sharon

Kaplan University is a school of excellence. The environment of the school in which I participate is online. They strive to encourage the working force to excel through higher education by implementing this opportunity in which a great deal of Universities do not have. Especially if you are a single parent and have to work full time there is still a way for you to improve your career goals.

barbette

The best thing about this school is that the professors care and will make sure you understand what they are teaching you. One thing I would change is when doing class work have a edit button if you submit it you are allowed to change it on the discussion boards. My school is just right because it meets my needs according to my personal life. I do not attend class on regular campus, I attend over the internet. The schools administration is very nice. No major controversy that I know of do not attend on campus. Nothing unusual that I know of since I have been attending Kaplan. One experience I will always remember is being nominated to the National Collegiate Scholars. Most frequent student complaints is how slow Financial Aid is sending out checks.

Anibal

The school is online at least the one I been attending to, and I found is more flexible and a bit hard, because you do not have the guidance of a Professor, but in Kaplan online you can call any time of course have in consideration the time zone.

Linda

My overall opinion of my school is that it is amazing. We have amazing professors that we can email at any time of day and within 24 hours you always have a response. I honestly do not have any complaints. We have seminars where we actually go to class and hear them teach and they can put up slide shows or whatever they need. Because it is online I know many would think that it is not as good but this is not true at all. If you are a parent or have to work and do not think you can go to school think again. Online learning is much better than it gets credit for.

Tamara

My overall opinion about this school is that 'This is one of the mst unique schools I have the pleasure of being a part of'. I am very satisfied with the school I have chosen.

From the moment I started my application process I found Kaplan Unkiversity to be welcoming, helpful and very knowledgable. If I ever have any questions concerning academics or financial aid the staff are very eager to help. I love the flexibility of the classes. The professors are wonderful. They work with you when you are having difficulties and are always available. You have chances to network through the many clubs they offer. You also meet alot of people through your seminars and discussion boards. If I were rating this University from 1 to 10 I would give it a 9. .

Dee

Kaplan does a great job of providing a well rounded education for it's students. Our teachers have years of experience in their given field and are more than willing to share their experiences with us. The teachers here do everything they can to prepare us for what it would be like to work in our given field. There is a lot of guidance and support provided by not just the Kaplan administration but the teaching staff as well. No matter what class you take there will always be that one person who gripes about having to write papers. But honestly that's a part of college life.

Lissete

This school has really encouraged me to go on with my education. The flexibility of virtual schooling is amazing. I have time for my volunteering work, enjoying my kids, being a wife and mother all the while furthering my education.

The best thing about this school is that you can attend school while working a full time or part time job, taking care of kids, etc. The administration at this school is mixed, a lot of my teachers were good, however there were some that would grade on an inconsistent basis varying from paper to paper.

Jose

One of the best thing that I can think of about my school is the fact that it irks with your schedule so you don't feel so stressed out. I think I prolly change the possibility of dropping a class in case something dramatic has happen in your life and you just can't deal with school. Since I'm oing online school I feel as though it's just right for what I need right now. People are always asking me why am I doing an online school for and that I need to be more social one experience that I think I'll remember is the fact that I couldn't do my best do to a death in the family.

TeriLea

Starting answering!My overall opinion of Kaplan University is it’s allowing me to fulfill my dreams! Being a single mom and needing to work a full-time job leaves no time to attend a tradition college campus. My dream of working in health and wellness was nothing more but a dream. That was until I found the Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness online degree at Kaplan University! Now I can jungle being a mom, working full-time, and attend college. My experience with the size of Kaplan has been good. My class size is usually in the 30’s, which allows me to develop a closer connection not only to my professor but fellow classmates. However, there is always room for improvement. I would like to see Kaplan University online offer more master programs and not require so many open electives. I do realize a few do need to be taken, but it seems half of my schooling is taking open electives that do not relate to the field I am going into. The one thing I really enjoyed a few of my professor did was have us include pictures of ourselves in our introductions that are done the first week of class. Being an online student you don’t get the experience of seeing your classmates on a daily basis. This allows us to connect to each other and our professor on a deeper level and gives a feeling that community feeling! Without a doubt, the individuals I have been in contact with do have school pride and not afraid to show it! Kaplan University is a great school and recommend it to all of my friends and family who are looking to go back to school

LaNessa

I believe that Kaplan University online is the best online school out there.

Beverly

The best thing about Kaplan is their tools, the library, learning center, but most of all the professors sharing thie knowledge, wisdom, and understanding with the entire class. I believe that the size of school is just right. I have had my friends tell me that are in other colleges that their college does not have or even offers what Kaplan University does. And In that it makes me feel very special and spend the majority of my time studying completing class assignments in a timely manor. I found that when I started at Kaplan the administration is great and has been even now. Kaplan takes a lot of pride in their students and in their accomplishments Althought I don't find anything unusual, but better learning skills, I guess if I had to say the most expierence I have ever had was learning all of the tools at tip of my fingers, but most of all I love being a part of what Kaplan is doing and i have no real complaints, as a matter of fact I love being a Kaplan student and find it an honor.

Beverly

The best thing about Kaplan is their tools, the library, learning center, but most of all the professors sharing thie knowledge, wisdom, and understanding with the entire class. I believe that the size of school is just right. I have had my friends tell me that are in other colleges that their college does not have or even offers what Kaplan University does. And In that it makes me feel very special and spend the majority of my time studying completing class assignments in a timely manor. I found that when I started at Kaplan the administration is great and has been even now. Kaplan takes a lot of pride in their students and in their accomplishments Althought I don't find anything unusual, but better learning skills, I guess if I had to say the most expierence I have ever had was learning all of the tools at tip of my fingers, but most of all I love being a part of what Kaplan is doing and i have no real complaints, as a mater of fact i love being a Kaplan student and find it an honor.

SHELLIA

My overall opinion of this school is that it is a fantastic school with some of the most top notch professors there is. The professors seem to really care rather we suceed or fail. I have been at Kaplan since 2007 and have had some of the best professors. Back in April the city I live in was hit by several tornadoes which destroyed most of the city we were without power for 9 days. Kaplan allowed my professors to work with to catch up where I would not fail. It was hard work making up two weeks while continuing on with the rest of the class but with the help of my professors I came out of both those classes with a B average.I graduated in FEB. of this year with my Associate's degree in Global Hospitality my only regret was not being able to recieve my diploma on stage. I have not been to the campus but I am looking forward to going for my graduation in 2012. I have had no problem with the administration and my acdemic advisor has been very helpful. The only complaints I have heard from other students is not being able to get into seminar or getting booted out. But that is not the schools fault technology sometimes goes down.

Michel

Some of the best things about attending Kaplan University online is that it works with a number of different schedules. The professors here are very knowledgeable through real world experience as well as their academic backgrounds. The financial aide staff are very helpful and guide you through any questions you may have. The student life program is growing, which is enhancing students educational experience as well. Attending Kaplan is one of the best choices in my life that I have ever made. I love it here...

Georgia

This was the best decision for me and my family in 2010. I really do not think that there is anything that I would change! It is hard for me to say if this school is too large since I am in an all online learning environment. When I tell people about going to Kaplan, they often ask me if they are a TRUE college. I tell them that I would not have even bothered to sign up at this school if they were not real. I did do a lot of research on different online campuses and Kaplan was by far the best one.

Ruth

My opinion about Kaplan is that I can attend classes at my own flexible schedule and turn in my assignments at a reasonable time as well. I don't think that there is anything I would change about this school. Kaplan University is just the right school. People are impressed that I am attending this school, and it makes me proud. I go to an online class not on campus. I think that the school's administration is fine. The experience that i will always remember is the instructor's and when i graduate next year as well.

The best thing about the school is the ability to go at your pace. Now of course you do have a week to get the assignments turned in. In addition, one must go to the seminars each week. However, one may sit down at the computer at his or hers convenience. The one downfall is that we always do not receive textbooks. This makes it tough to go back and reference things later when the class is over. Responses are positive when I inform individuals I am going to Kaplan University. I spend an average of roughly 30 to 40 hours a week on the computer in dealing with school. However that much is not required to be successful. The administration at Kaplan is top notch. Furthermore, the school has outstanding resources. Kaplan is big on plagiarism as well APA format. So if you join know these! Early on students complained about financial aid. I must admit I had a little problem as well that did get resolved. Nevertheless, the complaints on financial aid are becoming less. I believe they got the kinks worked out for I have had no problems the last four terms.

I think I made a great choice in deciding to further my education with Kaplan. I enjoyed taking my classes online and being able to attend seminars at a time that is convenient for me and my schedule. I feel that having the seminars for an online class was a great feature in that you seem to have more access to the instructors and have more of an ability to interact with your classmates, some who you are able to follow from the start of your education all the way to the end.

The best thing about this school is the availability of professors to students during their terms, there is always someone there to talk to and ask questions during the school year. On a sour note the advisers with the school's do tend to overload new coming students with a lot of information and very little help. This problem did gradually get better throughout my time as a student, but I would definitely change or update information that the advisers have for you in terms of school courses, financial aid information, and website information. Because it is an online classroom I tend to spend most of my time in the official classroom setting working on projects and discussion boards. I would like to point out how helpful my adviser was during my junior term with this school. I was 22 at the time and 7 months pregnant, we had been discussing how I was going to continue with school once the baby was born. She made it very easy to make the decision to lessen my course schedule without taking leave, therefore there was less paperwork and no interruption with financial aid. She even took the time to speak with the professor of the course I was going to start during my last month of pregnancy and let her know what was going on and that I would probably not be in attendance the first couple of weeks of class. She was an amazing help, and I recommend advisers take her lead because patience and dedication to your students keeps them there!

Marlena

I believe that Kaplan University is the best school that I could have ever attended. I listen to everyone that I know and they say that the school they attend is horrible or it lacks such and such. Then when I explain my school to them I can't really say anything bad. The teachers are great and take their time while teaching me to where I understand everything that I'm being taught.

Karla

The ease of going to school online is awesome. The credits transfer to so many other schools. Almost every Professor is awesome, They all care about your success. There are so many cool clubs to join and the seminars are archived so you can go back later and listen to them again.

Beverly

The best thing about Kaplan is their tools, the library, learning center, butmost of all the professors sharing thie knowledge, wisdom, and understanding with the entire class. I believe that the size of school is just right. I have had my friends tell me that are in other colleges that their college does not havewhat Kaplan University has or offers. And In that it makes me feel very special and spend the majority of my time studying clas assignments. I fond that when I started at kaplan the administration is great and has been even still. Kaplan takes a lot of pride in their students and in their accomplishments Althought Idon't find anything unusual but but better learning skills, I guess if I had to say the most expierence I have had was learning all of the tools at my hand, but of all I love being a part of what Kaplan is doing. There are really no complaints.

ValerieAdam

I loved that I was assigned and academic advisor to help me with my admissions. It was a great help when I was contacted for documents that were needed and those that were due. They were prompt in their follow ups and reminders. The admission and registration is the hard part to me because as soon as I started my courses, it has been a smooth jouyney thus far. The academic counsellors help guide you on the righ path to your chosen destination.

While attending Online College, I am also working a full time job and at work there is another employee also attending college at a traditional college. It takes her an hour to drive to work, another half an hour to drive to school, and then another 45 minutes to drive home. Two days out of the week she leaves home at 5:00am and gets home 9:30 - 10:00pm. This is all time that she is spending away from home. With Kaplan Online I am home by 3:00 every day and can attend seminars or work on projects without leaving home. Sometimes I have attend on vacation or at the lake with my son while he fishes. I have had a few setbacks, but by being able to email my professors, my grades we not affected as they had the flexibility to work with me. While I might not have the same college experience as traditional students, I have been able to go back to school and earn my degree.

Dalen

I think Kaplan University is a great school. eing able to study in the field you want and have real life teachers that practice in your studies is great. I would have to say that meeting people from all over this county has been a great pleasure and I would not change it for the world. I am currently in the legal studies program. Through Kaplan I am able to learn laws from around the United States through contact and interactions with students in my class. The classrooms are just right in size and the set up for an online school is awsome compared to other online schools. I have never had any regrets since I have joined Kaplan.

I absolutely love Kaplan, they gave me a chance at a new life for me and my family!

My overall opinion is that Kaplan University is great for those students who do not want to sit in classrooms all day. Whom maybe working full-time jobs or full-time parents and cannot attend a classroom environment. Kaplan's program is online and allows for students to interact with other students and professors in a discussion board setting. The program moves very quickly and you must be able to be self-motivated in order to complete assignments. My only negative comment would be the Academic Advising department, when you speak to someone about your degree plan and later have questions you will not speak to the same person again, which can be somewhat confusing.

Shana

I was skeptical about attending an online school, as many people are. I was concerned that it would be more than I could handle, that the classes would be too difficult to keep up with among my other familial obligations. I have found that it is much easier than I expected. While some of the classes are writing intensive, it is not difficult to keep up if you manage your time wisely. If you wait until last minute to get assignments finished and turned in, then you probably won't get very good grades, but if you take a little time out of every day to work on something, then it's not difficult at all. The class sizes are not overwhelming, so you can expect to get an answer from your instructor within 24 hours of emailing a question. I think the most frequent student complaint would have to be with the professors seeming to be insensitive to the things going on in your life. I have found that, as long as you let the professors know everything that you are dealing with, they will be very understanding and they will work with you on assignment deadlines and assist you in any way they can.

Linsey

The school has it's ups and downs but over all it's a good school.

Linsey

I think that the school and it's stuff does whatever they can to help the students do their best.

Carinn

Over all I am really impressed with Kaplan. I love it because I can attend school from home. I did not think it would be a possibility for me to get my Master's while I had three little kids at home and worked. But Kaplan allows me to listen to a seminar while making dinner for my family. A lot of my classmates have gone through the entire program with me, so even though we ever never seen each other, we feel like we know eachother. I know there are community activites at Kaplan, but that is one thing I have not been involved in. Although that is one thing I would do differently. A lot of my teachers have been great, but I have had a few that don't seem to fit the online teaching job. Some people say that online education is not personal, because you are not face to face with other students and faculty, but I think that it is very personal. I can be a very outgoing person, but when there is a large group I normally get quiet. This school has allowed me to participate more in discussions, and helped my classmates, which increases my confidence in my knowledge.

I think that the best thing about Kaplan Online is being able to log on to school when ever you are able. Yes, you do have to attend seminar every week, but other than that as long as your assignments are submitted on time, you can come and go as you please. I must say though, online learning is not as easy as it sounds. Often you are teaching your self. You only get one hour a week on the computer to interact with you professor and often they are rushed to fit in all of the materials required for that particular week. The only contact you have other than that is through email. I would have to say that one of the most frequent complaints is that there is often problems logging on to the school site. This happens most often when it is your seminar time and can be very frustrating. The professors are very understanding of this though. I must say that when you start as a new student, your admissions counselor is very helpful. I was walked through the log in process and the classroom platform. I was also called and checked on for the first few weeks. This made me feel at ease with this new environment.

Stacia

I love Kaplan University it is very flexible. The teachers are great and I really love the knowledge I have gained, with out the stress of commuting to classes. When I tell people I go to Kaplan they always say I heard of that school how do you like it? The administration is great at Kaplan they always answer my questions and help with any issues I have. I will always remember my professor from College Comp II she was an excellent teacher and a great mentor. The only complaint that I have heard is that the teachers are sometimes different from one another. From what I remember in all my years in school is that they are all different. So that is not much of a complaint. Good luck to you!

Kaplan has an extremely successful program. I love the curriculum and the professors. I have not yet had a professor I did not like. The best thing about kaplan is that all of the professors have jobs in the field of the course they are teaching. You will not have a professor teaching criminal law who is a chef in a restaurant. That would just not make sense. There isnt much I would change. If I would change anything about this school, it would be longer online seminars. The seminar online is great because you get to hear and interact with the professor each week. Having a longer seminar would allow more time to have explanations of the material and readings for the week. Of all of the other classmates I have chatted with, I have yet to find anyone that is unhappy and wants to leave. Most of the students want to stay even after graduation. Almost like a Van Wilder story...

Cindy

Kaplan has been a wonderful experience for me. The professers were always a huge help when I was lost or misunderstood something. The class room size at our seminars were great, sometimes there was a lot which made it hard to follow the typing; however it was the going back and reviewing that helped. When I was telling everyone I was attending Kaplan, many of them knew of Kaplan and said" that's a wonderful college.' Those who didn't know about Kaplan asked why I was taking online classes. Some even said I won't be getting a real degree. Most of my time at Kaplan was spent working on the Discussion boards or in seminars, wish the students could have talked also during seminars VIA speaker.I have had no problems with the administration, in fact when I have called to speak with them on a issue I was having they were polite and kind. I feel there is a lot of school pride; pride in our education helps to boost the positive feeling of I can do this; I can achieve my goals.The main expierence I will forever remember is the wonderful support I recieved from all staff members, it helped me to remain focused on my dreams.I have no complaints that I can remember, other than I will miss all the professers, classmates and staff; as they were all my support while at Kaplan

I think one main stereotypes of online learning is that we somehow are getting subpar learning. This is just not the case. All of our professors are professionals in their fields. They are a wealth of information about things inside and outside (the real world) of our textbooks and learning materials. Anyone who needs an adult education model that believes in their students, I suggest you go for Kaplan University!

Kaplan University Online is a great school overall. It is the ideal college for the working student. You can create a schedule that fits your life so that it is possible to achieve an education and still maintain a life. Kaplan University Online school is just as challenging as any other university; you are still expected to participate in the class just like you would in a real classroom setting. The amount of homework is equivalent to a regular university as well. The major difference is you don't have to fight for a parking spot or even get dressed to be in class. Teachers are available to assist you with any question you have about the materials. Most people think that online schools are a joke but I can assure you they are wrong. Kaplan University Online just provides the convienience of not having to show up to a campus to receive credit. I would recommend my school to anyone looking to further their career possibillities.

I have been attending Kaplan University online since June of 2009 and will be graduating in August of 2012 with my Bachelors Degree in Psychology.The best part about attending online school has been the relaxed atmosphere, I mean I seriously attend classed in my pajamas! The participants in seminars range from 5-30 and the instructors and professors have all contained excellent teaching abilities and have help me to succeed. Online school isn't for everyone but if you are busy like me and work full time and want to save some gas money and have more family time then this just might be what your looking for.

Nadia

The class is just right in number of students, everything works nice and smooth. Teachers are generally available to answer fast and precisely, administration is well functioning.

Sonia

Although there are a lot of great quality's about Kaplan, one of the best things about this school would have to be the one on one time that the professors give you if for some reason you were to need extra help, have questions about a certain topic or just needing material explained a little more simple. The professors make sure you understand that they are there to help with whatever you may need, which really does help. I can't say that I have one thing I would change about the school, so far I have had a great experience and would not change a thing. People are supportive when I tell them I attend Kaplan. Most of the people I know are either attending Kaplan or have attended before which makes it that much easier for them to understand why I chose Kaplan. The school administration is great, very understanding people. One experience I will always remember is the fact that attending Kaplan changed my future, not only for myself but for both of my children as well.

marlon

The best thing actually about this school is the flexibility and the teachers. The teachers actually care about the students success. the teachers i had actually went out of there way to make sure i understood the class assignment, and made sure they pushed me to my full academic potential. Doing the kaplan minimum for class assignments for some teachers is enough but there are some that want more than the minimum in order to get a good grade. i love the challenge! If there was one thing i would change is to have the opportunity to go toa campus rather than internet only because i loved the experience so much. The school size is just right. When people find out i attend Kaplan University and find out it is an online school they are suprised but proud. I do see alot of school pride! One experience i would always remember is when i received the Deans List. I do not know of any complaints.

Kaplan University is an excellent school that caters to the students. The faculty and staff are extremely helpful and offer assistance whenever needed. The classes are challenging, but this allows the student an exciting and stimulating experience.

Gina

One thing I love about this school is how supportive my professors are. They are always available via email, phone and chat if you need something. I have also found that the students really help each other out and I have a few students that I email all the time through class. They have clubs you can belong to and many honor societies. I belong to three of them that are just like a classroom that you sign into and chat. The class sizes are perfect for online seminars, the professor always answers your question. The most complaints students have is financial aid, but I believe this would be a problem no matter where you go.

Rob

I truly enjoy the online format. I lead a busy life....I work 40 hours a week, plus I am married and the father of three children. So, being able to attend college around my schedule works out great for me. I work a rotating schedule, so I never have the same days off within a 4 week time frame, so I have to do my school work around my work schedule.

Kaplan University is a great school with a ton of opportunities. I love the academics there and everyone is so helpful. The staff at Kaplan University is wonderful and always tries to go out of their way to accomodate the students needs or concerns. I honestly haven't had any bad experiences at Kaplan University and I would recommend it to anyone.