Kent State University at Geauga Top Questions

Brittanie

I would have to tell myself not to fall behind when things get tought because once ou do there is no recovering. I wish I had known how hard it would be to juggle a full time job, a child, and school full time. Maybe if I had known then I could have been more prepared and not allowed myself to fail two of my classes under all the pressure.

Marsha

If Marsha 43 could meet with Marsha 17, I believe that she would cuddle the abused and degraded child. While whispering words of self love, she would explain to 17 that she is intelligent, beautiful and worthy of so much more. 17 would reply that her intelligence equals that of a kiwi, her life is worthless and she would never amount to anything. Suicide is the answer. 43 would listen compassionatly as 17 went into her tirad but interject that if that was the apparent answer, how could she be there. 43 would then explain that being in a stable enironment could give 17 the solid base with which to build her life. When Marsha 17 would become 26, her entire outlook would be turned on it's ear. 43 would quickly divulge a game plan. Two years into your relationship, consider an education to empower your new found identity. The medical field has always facinated you. Nursing is in your blood. With those statements, 43 will gently hug 17, wipe away her tears and smile a chesire grin as she vaporizes into the worm hole she came through.

If I could go back I would tell myself to breathe. I was to worried over adjusting to college that I didn't make any plans I just feared and dreaded the day classes started. I would advise myself to speak with a guidance counselor about colleges and career paths instead of handeling it all enternally.

The advice I would give my high school senior self would be study hard and not to get caught up in everything else except for school. The thing you need to focus on most is school and that is it, don't worry about other things. Try not to sceduale too many classes at once because if you do, your gades will go down hill if you don't study everyday!

Jayme

From time to time, I wish I could go back in time and give myself advice. If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I think some aspects of the life I have now would be different. I was not the smartest high school senior. I was having family problems and kept throwing myself “pity parties”. I would slack off and eventually I stopped going. I had two trimesters left to go, but because of how much I had neglected my school work, graduating on time was not going to happen for me. I wish I could go back and shake myself while saying “Graduating high school is such an important part of life! Stop feeling sorry for yourself and go!” If I could’ve gotten through to my “old” self, I would hope that she would have found a way to graduate and go to college in the fall. Instead, it took me a year to get my GED and now after three years at a community college, I am transferring to a four-year college. I have never been more motivated to succeed and to finally participate in a graduation ceremony!

Apply for more scholarships and see about getting a part time job. You can make it throughyour college classes easily at the rate your going, but running out of money for your transfer to a university is a major concern, no matter how much you try to avoid it. Try to be more careful about your online classes. You know you aren't great with deadlines, and the lack of organization in those classes only makes it worse. Other than that, I'll just say good luck.

Bridgette

If I were able to go back in time and talk with myself using the knowledge I know now, I would advise myself to apply for more scholarships and work extra hours to prepare for my tution. Before I came to Kent State I went to a community college and was able to make monthy payments on my tution. I paid for two years of my community college out of pocket, worked part time and was still able to keep a GPA of 3.6. When I transfered to Kent State to attend the nursing program I had to cut back on my working hours. Kent State's College of Nursing is extremely intense. Not being able to work as much and paying out pocket jeopardizes my future for graduating. I am a senior with five months until I graduate with a BSN (Bachelor's in the Science of Nursing) and AS (Assoicates in Science) and made it thus far with what I did prepare, but my tution funds are drying up. I am extremly dedicated to the field of nursing and my studies. Knowing what I know now, I would have told myself to start saving for my tution.

If I could go back in the time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would say do not follow your peers when deciding what college to attend. Unfortunately, this is a social decision rather than an academic desicion. This can lead to great disappointments. For example, now what if after the first year attending college with your peer,he/she decided to drop out? T Of course this is to be a rhetorical question but to make sure that you and I are on the same page, I will gladly answer. You are now attending a college that may have not been the right fit for you academically or financially but because you decided to follow your peer, you are now in a college that doesn't excel in your major, in debt and most importantly (in your mind) NO PEER. Trust me when I say please do not make the same mistake as I have. I followed my high school sweetheart and he dropped out. I am 29 years old now and still working myself out of debt for a school that I didn't want to go to in the first place.

Genevieve

If I could go back to high school and talk to myself I would tell me that I'm able to have a life. It doesn't have to be just about studying in high school. The good grades, the National Honors Society the volunteer hours really don't mean anything in the grand scheme. I would also tell myself that my dream school could wait. Start off with a community school first. Then go to my dream school. Build up some money because although we're told good grades earn financial aid, it's not true. Don't worry or stress to the point of making yourself sick. And stock up on Spaghetti-o's, Ramen noodles and microwave popcorn. I would also tell myself that age doesn't matter. You can get a degree when you are 20 or you can get your first degree when you are 40 and the age doesn't matter. They both got their degree. Work hard but remember to take time for yourself, because if you burn yourself out, nothing will get done. Also enjoy it. This is the first step toward success.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice, I would tell myself to buckle down and study as hard as I can. Manage your time, and plan out when you're going to get things done that way you know when you need things turned in and you allow yourself enough time to avoid procrastination. Have fun! Go out and make new friends. Find out what kind of person you are, and experience the college lifestyle. Live every day as if it was your last day. Take advantage of the opportunity to do something exciting everyday.

Dakota

I am telling you, college is very expensive! Take your SAT tests very seriously and start studying for them. You want a really good score help you earn a lot of scholarships. Also, get your grades up as high as possible and continue to participate in school clubs and community service programs. Next, apply for as many scholarships as you can. I was raised to make the best choices and in my case it was to attend a community college to earn my Associates of Science degree which meant I would be able to transfer to a four year state college to complete my degree without accumulating debt. Most of my college bound friends went off to state schools, but I could not justify the expense when I could receive the same education at a community college. My biggest savings right now is living at home while I go to school. Your parents have worked hard to buy a home, make a living, and support a family. They will help as much as they can, while also budgeting for their future. Earning scholarships will lesson the burden and worry for your family.

meranda

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self, there is a lot I would say. First, I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as I could. Second, I would tell myself to be less shy and open up to new people. I would also tell myself that studying for tests in college is a lot different for studying for tests in high school, and I would tell myself to get in the habbit of studying for tests weeks before hand. Along with all of these things, I would tell myself to plan out the classes I want to take early, so that I would have gotten a better schedule.

From what I know now about college life and making the transition, the advice that I would give myself would be to go away to college to get the feeling of what college is about. I would also tell myself to stick with it even if it seems like you just want to go to a smaller school to get done faster. It will all pay off in the end and be totally worth it. Also, don't give up and say you'll go back later because things happen and sometimes you won't be able to go back, or if you have a child within that time, it will more than likely be ten times harder to do so, but it is also capable of doing so.

april

If I were to do it all over again and transition, I would have done my career choice all over again. I would have definetely gone to school full-time and had my RN already, instead of going part time and deciding on a Business Major. I made that decision and really ended up hating what I was doing for 6 years of my life because I was listening to what other people said instead of doing what I wanted to do with my life. The key to happiness is knowing yourself and doing for you, before you should listen to others for advice. I also should have taken more heed with the aptitude tests that were given out in high school and with the guidance couselors. I think that those are the things that I would tell myself if were able to go back in time.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior i would definatly tell myself to attend college immediatley after graduating highschool, instead of taking time off of school. I would expain how much harder it is with every passing year that you choose to put school off, and that more obligations/responsibilities will make it that much harder to try to fit in your education. I would also tell myself that the transition from highschool to college will not be easy but so rewarding in that you will be learning valueable nursing skills for your dream career as a RN.

The advice I would give myself would be to not take all easy classes just to graduate. To be challenged in class is an excellant way to prepare yourself for college course loads and it also teaches time management skills. Another piece of good advice would be to join clubs and activites that would allow me to get comfortable meeting new people in a larger group setting. Practicing self-independence in my senior year would have helped to make living on my own once I get to college not as scary and over-whelming.

Bridgette

Develop a positive attitude, be organized, and set your sights and standards high. Give everything you do one hundred and ten percent, and above all else, with all of these things - BE CONSISTENT! Look for the good in every person and every situation, and when presented with a difficult situation, choose to see the glass half full. Develop routines and schedules, use them to help you prioritize, and stick to them. Stay focused on what you want to achieve. Even when things seem tough, or the end seems far away, take one day at a time and keep trying your best. Everyone has hard times once in awhile, but no matter, what do not give up and do not slack off. Once you lose your footing, its hard to regain it. Its much better and much easier to keep your footing in the first place, even if it feels like a struggle. If you give up hope, even just a little, its really hard to get it back.

Sandra

The best advice I think I could give myself is: 1. To not underestimate myself. 2. Stay focused on the idea of education and not socializing. 3. Make sure you are on time and prepared for class. 4. Do not wait until the last minute to do assignments. 5. If you have any issues, take them to the professor early on in the class, to avoid poor grades. 6. Take notes, take notes, take notes.

If I had the chance to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would probably get on my own nerves by giving myself so much advice! The first thing I would tell myself is to not stress about not having a definite major. I would tell myself is to put all my effort into my education, and not only that, but to enjoy my education. Too many people go to college simply to get one step closer to their career, or just because it is the "thing to do" after high school. However, I would urge myself to absorb as much as possible and take college as a chance to discover more about myself and what I may be passionate enough about to enjoy as a career.

Joyce

If I could talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to be more focused. I would say “think long term, not short term”. “The job that you are going to get in a couple of months…they pay for tuition and books. Don’t assume that opportunity will always be there. Taking classes part-time is fine. But don’t get bored or impatient and decide to ‘take a semester off’. No, you won’t go back no matter how much you say you will. You will enjoy the ‘freedom’ too much, and then you will get married and start a family. Priorities change and children come first. You will watch them grow up, and all of a sudden you will be 53 years old and lose the job you’ve had for 35 years…the one that still pays tuition and books. You will be searching for a new job, and they all specify ‘BA’ or at the very least ‘AAB.’ Now you will be back at the same college, although it looks much different, and you will be paying your own tuition at five times the price, with no income. Be smart.”

I would give myself the advise to slow down and really consider what life is and what I want from life. I started off as a nursing major in 2001 and I wasted my college education and time by messing around and not concentrating on school. Now here I am 29 years old with a husband and a 3 year old daughter and a job I love but do not get paid enough. I want to be a nurse more than anything, it has been my lifelong dream. If I could go back I would tell myself "Tiffany, this is what you were born to do. Do not waste your time and buckle down and study. It will all be worth it in the end."

Shawn

I would have told myself to get into better studying habits before starting high school so that the intense test studying wouldn't be so intimidating. I would have also told myself not to be afraid of college life, but ratehr to embrace it because it will be some of the best years of my life. College isn't as scary as everyone thinks it is. Don't let the fear and stress overcome you. In the end, graduating college is a major stepping stone in life and everyone will need to do it to lead a better life, so it is better to think of all the positives of the suture instead of ofcusing on the negatives in the present. If you have to spend thousands of dollars going to college, you might as well make the most of it. While a college test may require more studying than a standard high school test, the amount of homework given is also minimized. College is a place that everyone needs to go to and being there can actuallybe a great experience if you allow it to be. Prepare yourself and you will do just fine.

I would tell myself that I need to learn to love and believe in myself. I spent too much time concerned with what other people thought of me and bringing myself down and because of that, I was never able to reach my full potential. I always assumed I wouldn't be able to do something, so I would never try. I would tell myself that I am worth it and I can do anything I set my mind to. I would tell myself not to let other determine my worth. I could have accomplished so much more if I had just believed in my abilities. I never gave myself enough credit. After going to Kent, I was finally able to see what I was capable of and I didn't let others opinions keep me from doing what I love.

My college experience has been very valuable to me. It has kept me active in my education and is keeping me on track for a better future. I have learned many things attending the community college, including time management skills. Nobody is going to make sure you are where you need to be when you need to be there, it is all up to you. This has helped me to be more responsible for myself. Another valuable thing about attending community college is the small class sizes. It helps me to get more one on one attention and further my education in an effective way. I have gotten a lot out of my college experience and hope to keep gaining more.

Marina

My college experienced has help me find and choose a career that I know is 100 {4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} for me. Ever since I was in elementary school I wanted a career in which I would be beneficial to others. Nursing program is the best decision I ever made. The experience is extraordinary, you learn and help others in need at the same time. It opens your eyes to a totally different world that is usually hidden in hospitals, clinics etc. I would love to continue my education and become even more of benefit to our society. I want to pursue my goal and help those who often feel ignored and lonely in their hardest days. :)

Dieonte

Since I was fortunate enough to attend college, I intended on making the best of my college experience. Everyday offers you something new, as well as information and wisdom; wherefore, I gained the sense of taking things around the campus (various group events and activites) with a grain of salt, because you never know what may come from one 10-minute experience. Also, I'm an African-American male in the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity, which is a Caucasian-dominant organization. Though that really isn't a factor towards my membership, it's a big part on personal choices as a student and as an African-American, to keep to what I believe, while simultaneously bringing about change to the campus and people's racial views on certain life aspects. Lastly, I'm the backbone of my family on the thought of taking them out “the hood” and making them prosperous. If I don't finish school, I can simply "kiss" that plan goodbye. Nonetheless, my college experience, and fraternity membership, so far has led me to understand the true values of life plus what it takes to truly become a wise adult.

To date, the hardest period of my life has been the college years. As a 19-year-old freshman I became pregnant; and one year later, shortly after the birth of my son, I started nursing school. Since then, I've also married my son's father and purchased a home with him. The responsibilities we've undertaken have dramatically altered our lives. My husband and I have jumped from being a couple of teenagers living comfortably on our mommy and daddy's dime to being a couple planning, sacrificing, and saving for our own family-- we have BECOME mommy and daddy. Between running a household and caring for my husband and toddler, my life would be much easier without nursing school. In fact, my heart aches to stay home and tend a family. Nonetheless, I continue to attend because I know the value of my (future) degree. The experiences I'm going through as a student are imparting true life lessons in commitment and compromise. Despite the struggle, I have absolute faith that every valley and hill will benefit my character and build me as a better wife, mother, and nurse.

Marita

As a former highschool college student & now a returning adult student, I have learned to be more mature,serious,& focused thru my college experience. Its valuable to attend college because I now realize that a college education is one of the best investments you can make in life!! College is a lifelong moral investment for you and your family and it is also a financial,mental,& emotional lifelong investment for yourself! An education is something that no one can take away from you! With the help of life-saving scholarships,I truly anticipate the day I complete my college education!

Corina

I am learning how to teach myself more instead of always depending on the teacher. I can now open a textbook and take valuable notes and pull out important information. In high school there was always somebody there to hold your hand and guide you through the process. College has taught me to become more self sufficent. This will benefit me in the future because after I graduate and get a job, I will have to learn how to teach myself certain things that my future employer will expect me to know. It is important to be able to learn on your own and to have the patience to get through it.

Hmmm.....this is kind of a difficult question because I was a completely different person then. Young and a bit naive of the world around me, time management was the largest problem for me throughout the first couple years of college. I felt like I was always juggling the role of student with other roles in my life at that time (family man, employee, caregiver, etc...). I was always on the move, from class to work, work to class, then from class back to my family. By the time I got back home to my family I barely had the time to spend with them because it was then "study time". I would say that my time management skills at that time were mediocre at best and a little planning would have gone a long way. After having slept for only a few hours a night for a couple years, it was time to take a step back and focus on how I could improve the quality of life for my family and myself. I finally created a very detailed calendar that I have now been using for years and that I will pass down to my children. Thank You!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school I would tell myself several things. I would tell myself to really keep myself focused on my school work so that I can be ready for college life and hopefully have a better idea of what to expect. another thing I would tell myself is to start looking at colleges and see which school would better fit my standards for myself so I can get through comfortably and have a lot of motivation to get myself through school. One big thing I would definitely tell myself is to get financial aid done right away so that it's ready for when I'm ready to go to college and I don't keep putting it off until the last mintue.

Krista

If I could go back and talk to myself when I was in highschool I would tell myself that college is nothing to be afraid of. I don't need to know what my major will be when I begin and its ok to switch. Instead of stressing about the future you should enjoy each day and just take it one day at a time. College is an amazing experience and it gives you the opportunity to meet so many amazing and diverse people. The friends you make in college will be your friends for life! When it comes to school, studying hard and keeping up that GPA is so important! Stay motivated by surrounding yourself with study partners and keep working towards that diploma.