Kent State University at Kent

« See more reviews of Kent State University at Kent

Kent State University is known for the highest graduation rate in Northeastern Ohio. In addition to that ranking, Kent also has a many strong colleges and programs that set any individual up for success. Kent has many resources for the students to use such as group tutoring by individuals who have already taken the class and a strong student success department, which provides many outlets to search for internships and jobs within the area and through alumni. Once a student at Kent State University, the publicized features about the university are not nearly as impressive as the resources offered within.

Decades ago, "Kent State" became the unofficial namesake for what was the shooting of student demonstrators by the Ohio National Guard, and of what is often taken-for-granted as a generational epoch: "the Day the War Came Home" amidst the fighting in Southeast Asia, and the now-landmark wave of civil-rights activism. Although it has since acquired a professional reputation for quality teaching, for its affordable tuition and ever-growing student population; the former connotations with what occurred in May of 1970 are most likely the first associations one may be expected to have with "Kent State".

Kent State University is most known for the Kent State Massacre that occurred on May 4, 1970. This is when students were protesting the Vietnam War by rallying on campus. The rallies got out of hand when the National Guard began opening fire on students in the crowd. Four students were killed while nine others were wounded, and one of them was paralyzed. A nationwide reaction occurred in response to this because hundreds of universities, colleges, and high schools closed because of student strikes that took place throughout the country. This raised awareness for protest against the Vietnam War.

Tragically, Kent State is most known for the shooting deaths of four students by National Guard troops in 1970. Quietly, however, Kent has created itself as a top-notch communications facility with highly-acclaimed programs in Visual Communication, which I attend, and in Fashion Design and Merchandising, made even stronger with the fantastic Fashion Museum on campus. Kent is a truly international school, and I will minor in Japanese and hope to complete a second major in International Relations. In addition, research with liquid crystals have led to many developments in that technology.

My school, Kent State University, is best known for the May 4th shooting during the Vietnam War era. Students rioted against the United States' involvement in the war, and the National Guard was sent to keep the students under control. The issue escalated when soldiers advanced towards the students near Franklin Hall in the middle of campus. The guardsmen began to retreat, but, for some unknown reason, they turned back and fired shots into the crowd of students in a nearby parking lot. Four students were killed, eight were injured, and one became paralyzed from the neck down.

I would have to say, unfortunately, my school is most renowned for it's May 4th Massacare. On that date in 1970, 4 students were shot and killed along with several other students being injured. There was an extremely hostile protest being held on campus at that time. Protesters had burned down the ROTC building and refused to disperese despite their legal obligation to do so. It became so violent that the National Guard was called in for support. When the National Guard felt seriously concerned for their own safety, they fired into the crowds; killing 4 students.

Kent State University, in my opinion, is best known for the diversity of students who attend there, and the ability to accept students of all different backgrounds. There are always new people to meet and new things to learn about other students. In every class I have attended, there is always a great mixture of different races and ethnicities, and everyone gets along great and is very accepting of the differences of one another. I feel that that is a great part of Kent State University, and certainly one of the most noteable differences from other schools.

Kent State University is best known for the shooting that occured on May 4th, 1970. It was a tragic and unneccesary occurence, and most people do not understand what happened that day. It was not a sporadic shooting. The students had been peacefully protesting the war in Vietnam and the draft until they burned the ROTC building and damaged building in downtown Kent. Armed forces were brought in to subdue them. The men shot at the students due to a miscommunication; no one knows exactly what happened. Four students died that day, and nine injured.

My school is best known for the health programs. Nursing is considered as one of the best colleges in my school. It is really competitive to get into the nursing program in my school. Students are required to get A or B in the pre-requisites of nursing in order to get into the progarm. Knowing that the competion is really tough, my school has also provided student leaders to help the students learn more smartly and in an effective way and unlltimately to get better grade in the course. This facility is availabe to all the students for free.

Unfortunately, my school is best known for the "May 4th Massacre." On May 4th, 1970 four students unarmed students were shot by the National Guard. Also wounding other students, the National Guard fired into the crowd killing one girl who was on her way to class(very involved in the protest). This horrifying event is still a part of everyday life at Kent State. Every May 4th school is let out and a ceremony takes place on the hill. Black beams mark the parking spots where the four students were killed. There was "Fire in the Homeland."