Kent State University at Kent

« See more reviews of Kent State University at Kent

I do not find myself typically bragging about Kent State; however, their is one professor I speak of on a regular basis, because she is an acceptional professor. Dr. Howard is a no nonsense professor who holds her students accountable, yet balances understanding and knowledge from student to student. I took two of her classes and was fascinated by the structure, intellect and self discipline she required of her students. I do, also, like the English department at Kent. I believe it highly understaffed, but their professors are diligent, professional and intelligent and required these same values of their students.

My school's Fashion Desgin program is one of the toughest things I have ever experienced. However, I have grown immensely because of it. I am only halfway through my college years, and I can see how much my knowledge and skill level will grow by the time I am a senior. Kent has an entire school dedicated to fashion design and merchandising. The advisors are willing to work with you, and professors are welcoming. Professors are industry professionals, providing wonderful, unique information to the students. Industry Liasions help students build resumes and set up internships and jobs as well.

When I brag about Kent State University to my friends, I usually brag about the amazing amount of diversity the school offers. The university has many international students and American students of various ethnic backgrounds, which enriches the social atmosphere of the university and gives it a multicultural environment. Many languages are spoken and taught, and there are many opportunities to try ethnic foods from around the world. This diversity is what gives the university its greatest qualities, as many students find people like themselves and people who are different to befriend.

I brag about the environment and atmosphere, the classes, how we excel academically, and how we get involved in the community. Whether we are engaging in a philanthropic event through fraternities or sororities such as the Greek Music Awards that benefits veterans for comfort homes built on the grounds of major VA medical centers worldwide. These homes enable loved ones to be close to wounded military veterans while they are getting treatment. We engage in events as such as Relay for Life and students are always involved in fundraising for a causes such as Make a Wish foundation.

The campus has beautiful hills all over, and buildings that not only have kept their origninal outisde apperance but have imporved inside features. The food that we get to eat in The Hub are delcious! Even the campus sushi is spectuclar! Making your way around campus could be difficult, but everyone on campus understands that, and is willing to help. Otherwise you can jump on the bus and wait until you show up to class in the comoft of the free buses. The chanig of the leaves has to be my favorite part, no questions. Campus is absoutly stunning.

If I could describe Kent State University in one word, I would say it is diverse. You are constantly exposed to a number of people, activities, traditions, religions etc. I spread the awareness of how much Kent has to offer and how it truly makes a difference in your life. I understand that each college has different things to offer, but I find that Kent is special in its own way, especially because of the May 4th shootings. We come together as a community on that historic day and remember the lives that have been taken. Truly a blessing.

With my friends back home, the major area of conversation is being in Greek Life. I never thought I would join a fraternity after the stories my uncle told us growing up. (They included sleeping through graduation because of a hangover) Kent State University changed my mind though. The campus has an extremely large and involved Greek community. Between the numerous fundraisers for national foundations and the various events we throw for the local community, becoming "Greek" really means giving back more than you ever thought possible.

The thing I love about my school is that I can follow the general course of what I want to do and then be allowed to narrow down what I'd like to do for the most part more specifically in my later years. The Visual Communications Design (VCD) program is wonderful because it allows me to focus on both illustration and graphic design. I love that I can focuse more on illustration later, but that I can also get a comprehensive background on graphic design. Not to mention I get general knowledge on other subjects to be fully rounded.

The aspect of Kent that I brag about most to my friends is that Kent pushes me in my academics as well as my character. I am majoring in Nursing at Kent which is a competitive major. I also have professors who are passionate about their work and know that they are teaching future nurses who will save lives one day. I am pushed to think critically and form opinions and I get the opportunity to interact with other nursing students who are striving for the same goal as I am. Kent is all around a well rounded experience.

I am a non-traditional student that is always asked how the students treat me. These are the best students ever. I have yet to have one treat me with less than the utmost respect. I am also surprised at how I am included as one of the group and not an outcast because of my age. This college has high quality professors that care about our success as students. All university personnel make sure needs are met. There is assistance in areas like technology, library, and tutoring. Our dollars are well spent.