Kent State University at Kent

« See more reviews of Kent State University at Kent

The worst thing about Kent State University is the current administration's belief in non important infastructure and expansion projects. Only until recently did the university start to replace out-dated and older windows, repair ceilings and damaged, older pieces of dorms and lecture halls. The emphasis on non-traditional and non priority upgrades or expansions have increased tuition, while the investments are not seen within classrooms, dorm halls, food, infastructure, and returns on investment and education. This has angered many because of rising costs, devauled economy, and lack of progression in education has made college almost a bad investment.

As a growing four-year institution, not unlike a sizable number of college campuses in the United States, Kent State and its administration have invited the seeds of consumerism into what is nominally an educational institution, complete with ATMs, credit-card vendors and fast food venues (including 'Starbucks' and 'Subway' chain outfits, neither of which contribute to the university as a center of education). Much like the influx of students pursuing purely-economic motives for their higher-education, so commodified is the section of campus adorned with brand names and gift-shop niceties. I'd like to see this changed.

Patriotism. I believe it is disgraceful that the Kent State Basketball team does not participate in the pregame Nationa Anthem. Also, I have almost been attacked by student organizers, because I have chosen not to answer their survey questions during heated political climates. Finally, the rhetoric from faculty during heated political times is often very skewed. I do not believe a class room is the forum to espouse political views. It is too often professors use the ignorance of students, instead of challenging both left and right wing ideology. School should be about logic, deduction, understanding, and compromise.

There can be a tendency towards irresponsibility on campus. The administrators sometimes seem to have the mentality that kids will be kids and so they will not deal with issues as authoratatively as I believe they should. When students, especially those belonging to sports teams or fraternities/sororities cause an issue, it seems like most of the time they are let go with a warning and these students do not have to face the full consequences of their actions. This kind of mentality will not help those students in the future and thus may eventually negatively affect others as well.

Recently our President, Lester Lefton, decided to renovate our plaza in front of the student center. It was kept pretty 'hush hush' and now the student body has learned that it's going to cost 3.3 million dollars and that the plans include tearing down a beloved fountain. Also the university just raised the tuition which has aggravated many students who are already struggling to pay for higher education. Finally, they allowed too many students in this year and ran out of housing and since they guarantee freshmen housing, they cut other's out and off campus is expensive.

The worst thing about Kent State University is advertisement. The university campus life is thriving with late-night activities every day, and there's never a time where nothing is going on. However, it's hard for people to find out because the unversity's campus life office does not seem to have grasped the concept of effective advertising. If students want to find out what's going on, they have to search for it - go to different organization meetings on campus and network, search Facebook.com events for Kent State, visit the Center for Student Involvement website, etc.

The worst thing about Kent State is the class size. Most high schools have class sizes of less than 30, and KSU contains several classes over 300. The transition is extremely difficult, and grades typically reflect the tough change. In big classes, students feel less like individuals and more like a number. In my psychology class, I was one of 400 students, and class was held in a massive, two-story auditorium. The class size was intimidating, and the lack of individual attention that each student received made the learning process more difficult.

The first thing that comes to mind for many people when they hear the words "Kent State" is the shootings on May 4th, 1970. I think this negative connotation associated with the title of my university is the only 'worst' thing I can label to Kent State University. I wish people would come visit Kent State, see the memorial and learn what our May 4th task force has done to educate all who visit about this historic date. I think Kent State has been overlooked by many because of this prejudice that gets overplayed especially in the media.

The worst thing about my school is that in the winter it is very difficult to get from class to class because the sidewalks are not always paved and the bus system is not very efficient at times. Also, missing a class, even if it is for a legitimate reason, is very difficult because the penalties are slightly ridiculous and it could at times be difficult to get the right documents. And if one misses class for a reason other than what is described by university policies,(but is still a good reason) one is penalized, in my opinion, unfairly.

I think the worst thing is how spread out and hilly our campus is, especially in the winter. It is very windy here and during the winter, that makes walking to class that much worse. You have to manage the time it takes to walk to class better than other schools because the average walk to class is probably around ten minutes. It is nice though seeing all the trees and squirrels everywhere. Even walking to dinner takes me about ten to fifteen minutes, but I do not even notice anymore. I cannot really complain about anything else here.