Kent State University at Kent

« See more reviews of Kent State University at Kent

We have a 16 hour credit cap which makes it difficult for students to take the amount of classes they need in the four years we are actually supposed to be here, so a lot of us have to stay an extra semester or year passed our expected graduation date. Also, it mathematically doesn't make sense because most courses are 3 credit hours, so five courses would be 15 credit hours total. And if we choose to take more than 16 credits, there's a near $500 fee for each one credit hour over. Hello,unnecessary extra grand.

Nothing really too bad about Kent State University. Everything easy going but, if I were to choose one thing I would say it's location. It's location is right in the middle of neighborhoods and restaurants and it's just so far away from everything to me. I can't complain about that. I commute and catch the bus out there, and I hear other students complain how they have to drive 35 mins before school starts to arrive on time. With over 40,000 students attending Kent State housing is very limited within the area.

The only real thing I dislike about my school is that it's been using my tuition money to buy its way into championship games, and to make things on campus (and in downtown Kent) look pretty and attractive for visitors. I understand things need to be updated, but it makes me unhappy to hear that the new welcome sign downtown cost $46,000 and it was paid for by KSU. They could have put some of that money toward new computers in the Technology building, or to add one or two more classes to the course listing.

The worst thing about my school is that when you call everybody does not have all the answers. So when trying to get things set up if you dont already have a step by step plan written out and to follow you will be misguided and this will make your enrollment either be late or not have everything you need to start school. They will have you running around calling a ton of people and still miss something that should have been tooken care of. This has caused me to take classes I did not need and money wasted.

As a commuter student to Kent State, I consider the accessbility of parking to be the worst thing about Kent State University. I drive 25 mintues to campus and must park in the desgnated commuter lot, which is also the lot for general student parking. If I don't plan ahead or if I'm running late, I miss the opportunity to park anywhere close to the location of my class. This adds unneccessary stress to my life and the lives of other commuter students, and leaves less time to focus on schoolwork or studying.

The only thing I tend to dislike about this school is a rather small portion of the students who attend here. The population is rather large, and very few students are the ones I'm talking about. These students are people who somewhat live life believing they are better than others. The attitudes among them are very poor, and that is the only thing I would consider telling incoming freshman. Its important to remember who you are and that you are probably better than any of them, morally and emotionally.

Being that I am from Michigan, going to school in Ohio, I am not able to go home very often. Majority of Kent students go home most weekends, making the social life difficult. Kent's main feeder schools are located anywhere from five minutes away, to an hour away. I have found it hard to make friends at Kent, considering many of the students are already in cliques from the local high schools. Therefore, the worst part about Kent State is the location being far from my family and friends.

I worry sometimes about the security on campus. Violent crimes occasionally happen (almost always mugging or theft), but security on campus seems more concerned with catching alcohol use on campus. Even though security seems focused on the alcohol use, it is widely accepted that Kent State is a party school. I don't mind the "party school" title so much because it is very easy to find a different social scene. However sometimes I think that students are not always safe in that environment.

While it is hard to think of a negative thing about my school, there will forever be one that sticks out. Our center campus, between the library and the student center, was made for a school in Arizona. Somehow, the school there didn't particularly like the blueprint plans, so we took them in. The center campus, by student greens, is a major windtunnel- Umbrellas break, hats blow off, hoods don't stay on. It's the worst during winter or in the rain. Who would've thought it was a good idea?

The worst thing about Kent State University is the excessive and un-neccessary spending of the university's budget. A large amount of university money has been spent on cosmetic issues around campus and not on the students and bettering their educational experience. Many classrooms and building would benefit from any type of renovation, such as technology upgrades. The educational experience of the students would be improved if the budget was focused on the students and their educations.