Kent State University at Kent

« See more reviews of Kent State University at Kent

The Tution Appeal comittee. I started a new job, and didn't have access to a personal computer, just the public library. I believe that my situation was valid with letters form the library and my job to help state my case, however they denied me and I am desperatley trying to find help and jobs to help me pay the $1,900 back to the university. I believe that if i would've been able to talk to them in person that they would've understood better and they would've approved the case.

The worst thing about my school is that there seems to be a lack of leadership/ extracurricular activities for part-time graduate students. As an undergraduate, I was very involved with campus activities, along with those in the surrounding communities. However, as a gradutate student, who lives an hour away and is on campus once or twice a week, it is nearly impossible to be involved. It would be nice if their was a way to be involved, voice opinions, etc. via technology options.

For the most part, I enjoy being a student at Kent State; however, a few things about the school irk me. One of my biggest pet peeves about the university is the extremely high tuition rate. Recently, the school decided to increase tuition by 3.5 percent, while also cutting many grants. Overall, the financial aid could be much better, but I believe that by applying for this scholarship, I may not have to worry as much about the outstanding tuition bills that come from my school.

The worst thing about my school would be the tuition. I come from a family that doesn't have money and not to mention I am on my own. I have no help from y family and it is extremely stressful. I am currently fighting for the money to stay at Kent State University, and unfortunately I am losing the fight. I really hope that I received this scholarship because I really want to make something of my life. I don't want my family to face the challenges that i had to face growing up.

The worst thing at Kent State is the winter. In Nothern Ohio, the winters can be pretty terrible. Walking to campus in freezing temperatures can be very disheartening. There is always tons of snow, so my shoes get wet and it can get a little icy. The best advice for dealing with the snow is to pack a pair of snow or rain boots and nice warm jacket. The KSU bookstore also sells very nice hats, scarves, etc. You can find everything you need for winter weather on campus.

The worst thing about Kent State is parking and the lack there of. This is my first full year with a car on campus and getting a parking pass in itself is difficult unless you an upperclassmen or try and buy one the day they go on sale. For me, all my classes are virtually in the same building so I tried getting a parking pass as close to that building as I could and I was unable to on the second day of parking pass sales. Besides parking, however, Kent is a great campus!

The worst thing about the school is the sub-par snow and ice removal. While walking across campus to class it is difficult to walk in snow, slush and on ice for a good 10-minute walk. Especially while walking up and down hills, it is very easy to slip and fall because the salt is non-existent. To make things worse, the wind is incredibly strong and so the combination of the wind and snow on the ground while walking makes it a huge challenge walking to and from class.

The worst thing I consider about Kent is the food. A lot of it is fried, sugary and not enough fresh vegetables or fruit. I may have not gained the "freshman 15," but I notice my pants fitting more snug. This year they are working on this by making sure each cafeteria has salads and other options for those more health-conscious. Also, it is very expensive to buy meals there. A lot of students run out of money on their meal plan before the semester is over.

The worst thing about my school is that I have to pay out of state tuition, with minimal financial aid. Coming from a working middle class family, I have to pay back my own tuition through student loans. Although I know that I am not alone, I now realize that with the current economy I may end up paying the price for my post secondary education and college experience later in life... Literally. The debt is overwhelming at times, and is certainly discouraging.

The worst thing about my school is the amount of snow that comes during the winter. The campus is absolutely beautiful throughout spring and fall but after the third week of winter the cold weather and snow gets old. Even worse, they have an entire fleet of mini-bulldozer type snow plows they use to clear the pathways. Don't be mistaken, you will not get a lucky day off unless there is at least 6 inches of snow on the ground and it started late in the night.