Kent State University at Kent

« See more reviews of Kent State University at Kent

If I could go back into time as a high school senior, I would make sure to take my education seriously. Rather than fool around in life, I should have started to pursue my intellectual endeavors beginning at least in the senior year of high school. This would have smoothened out my transition into college life. Instead, I had to deal with the consequences of not properly planning, and having to rush right into my major studies in order to transfer to a four year school. This lead me to take classes I did not necessarily find interesting, and left me wasting a lot of time. In community college, most students who are attempting to transfer need to be able to have their major studies decided at the time of enrollment. This is to make sure that the transfer process is completed in two years. For me, it was a rocky path in finding my interests, but I have found it after studying economics and finance in the library. In conclusion, if I could go back to my senior year of high school, I would have at the very least started looking at potential interests and careers.

If students plan on living on campus, I would advise them and their parents to visit the campus. Your campus should feel like home. If students already know their major, they should definitely look into the campus?s programs in that field. One campus might have a better program than the other. I myself was an exploratory major and Kent State had a great program that helped these majors find what they were truly interested in. One way students can make the most out of their college experience is by always putting their studies first. Student?s sole purpose at college is to be all they can be and prepare themselves for their designated working field. Another way is to get involved in something you are passionate about. There are so many different clubs and groups on campus; there is literally something for everyone! This is a great way to feed your spare time in a positive way, and to make new friends. Feeling at home, studying and working hard, getting involved and making new friends should definitely make your college experience something you will never forget.

My college experience, thus far, has been invaluable to me, because most importantly, it has enabled me to enhance my level of knowledge. College has created an environment that has allowed me to establish long-lasting friendships, experience fieldwork, learn how to manage stress and budget time, become more independent, grow as an individual and ultimately, walk out with a degree in hand, which is priceless. Attending college has exposed me to a world of opportunities that only higher education would allow me to seize. I believe that everything I have put into my college career, I will receive back one hundred fold. I could not imagine not pursuing a college education after high school, as without this opportunity, I would be limiting my future growth and advancement. A recent article in a local newspaper stated the fact that a college degree would help me in my future employment, earn a million dollars more in my lifetime, than not having received a college degree. Attending college will allow me to imagine the possibilities that the world holds for me.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to enjoy the ride. As a high school student, I was so focused on maintaining my GPA that I hardly had time to step back and enjoy other aspects of my life. With a year of college under my belt, I have gained a better understanding for what is truly important. Undoubtedly, a solid GPA is essential for a pre-med student, but life does not revolve around my grade in organic chemistry. College is not just about intensive studying; it's about making new friends, trying new things, and ultimately, figuring out who you are. I certainly do not have everything figured out, but at this point I have realized that I aspire to be a person of balance. There is a time for academics, and a time for relaxing. There is a time for friends, and a time for family. Making time for all of these things is certainly a never-ending challenge, but putting forth the effort is what matters most. So, high school senior Scott, remember to breathe, and know that satisfaction can be found through many aspects of your life.

Okay, so you’re about to graduate from from high school, so it’s time to listen up, and pay attention to some important things I have to say to you regarding your future in college. The first thing is that you are about to experience a wealth of new information from a lot of new people, people whom you have never interacted with before. You’re coming from a small town, and are going to need the skills, open-mindedness, and attitude that let you communicate effectively with a plethora of different people with varying cultural backgrounds. It will be a great experience because you can learn a lot from people that have had different experiences than you. Another important thing to keep in mind is that going to college next year is not an end in itself, rather a means to an end. You’re going to have to work hard, and focus on why you’re going to school next year in the first place- to get an education.. There will be a lot of temptations that will easily distract you from your goal, but you have to resist some of these temptations, and remain focused.

If I could go back to the day I went to orientation I would tell myself to move on campus immediately to get the full college experience! I also wish I would have realized my first year the importance of meeting with advisors and career counselors. Kent State's advising team is AMAZING! Through meetings with career counselors I was able to find a major that fit not only my interests but my strengths perfectly and once I chose my major I met with the department advisor and still do frequently! Meeting with an advisor is so important because every time I walk out from meeting with them I feel good about myself, my goals, and my college career path which is the most incredible motivator. They're also helping me to possibly study abroad in Florence, Italy and working with me to not only finance the trip but find ways to help me with financing while I'm away. Studying abroad would be an amazing experience and if I could go back I would look into it a lot sooner and emphasize to myself the importance of pursuing opportunities that will set me apart from my peers.

Dear Rochelle: I am you in the year 2013. I'm here telling you, you can relax. The future is never certian and you don't have to have all the answers right away. Now is your time to mess up and mess up again. Try and fail and fail some more, becuase when you finally win you would of learned so much, you would be apreciative of what you have and pay less attenetion on what you dont. Life isn't about instant gradification, its more about the journey and the longevity, if you stay focused and determined you will reach your dreams. I know that you might be scared of this transition but you can do it ! Your dreams will fall into place. You will graduate and recive an award for the most improved student.You will attend Kingsborough Community college and fall in love with its enviroment. You'll major in Education, then change your major to Liberal Arts, and again change your mind and major in Speech Communication. There you will find your true calling. You will asipire to become a Television Personality. You will be Happy. Rochelle, I believe in you ! We can do it.

Before attending college, I knew little about life outside of my hometown. The only things I knew about college came from my family and friends who had experienced a college setting or the way the media had been portraying it for the past decade or so. Therefore; I scarcely knew anything about a college experience. If I could go back in time and tell my high school senior self some advice, to thrive in college, it would be to focus entirely on you. I know this may sound a little strange but knowing what I know now about college I think this is the best advice I could give. To me, college is all about finding yourself and finding out what you are truly interested in or what you are passionate about. Instead of trying to constantly please other people, college students need to learn how to please themselves and find their own voice. In a society where everything is told to us about how we should live our day-to-day lives, an individual has to be able to stand up for their own thoughts and choose for themselves what is right. Sometimes being selfish can pay off.

The advice I have for parents is to help guide their children in helping them find the right school. Keeping in contact with your son/daughter is also important. Even though they're 18 and technically an "adult," I believe that frequent calls and letters will let them know that you're there for any problems they may be going through. It's important to keep an interest in their lives and show that you care. As far as advice for students, make sure that you're mentally prepared to go to school. High school was difficult for me and I just wanted to take a break, that's okay. Just make sure you want to go and that you're ready. Research different schools to find one that fits your interests and style. Once you start attending school, make friends with people who are serious about education. There are always people who want to party too much or who aren't too serious. Make it a personal goal to make friends with people who have a healthy lifestyle and love learning and life. You will surely flourish and succeed if you believe in yourself and try hard!

Transitioning to college is often times hard for students, but it is important to be true to your self. As a senior in high school, I would go back, dream big, and help others in need. Kent State University provides resources to start your own on campus business or non-profit organization. After spending the past three summers in the Dominican Republic, I would established a business to sell the art that is unique to that area. There is a big trend in purchasing fair trade products, so I would have sold fair trade coffee, chocolate, and snacks which all profits would have benefited the people of the Dominican Republic. I really enjoy volunteering, so I would have created my own volunteer group that could serve as an example to the students at Kent State University. College students cannot only serve in their local communities, but I have also volunteered in New Orleans and the Dominican Republic. I have learned a great deal about myself through serving others, and I would want to encourage other students along the way by creating resources for them to do so.