Kent State University at Kent Top Questions

Nick

Personally if I could go back I would tell myself what to go to school for so I didn't take a few semesters off! Then I would be done already. However I would tell myself that the transition isn't as stressful as you think it will be. I would tell myself all of the good things about college and the things that are bad. I would tell myself how to schedule classes to put me on the best track to graduate while also getting the best cost for my money. I would tell myself to take as many classes per semester so it costs less overall and even though it is hard you will definitely be glad once it is over. I would tell myself to enjoy the time and make as many friends as possible. Relationships are good just to have friends but they also offer different ideas and perspectives and can help you in study groups. The last thing I would tell myself is to not get to caught up in school and forget about family. I would tell myself to still make time to spend with my family because they are very important.

Meaghan

The advice I would give my high school self is to word harder in high school, and to appericate high school. High school was hard work but also fun to, seeing our friends everyday and joking around. College is completely different I would tell my high school self to work harder and take it seriously because it has and effect on the college you get into. Also, college is alot harder, I was the kind of high school kid who payed attention in class never study and still would get and A on tests, now in college I have to study and read alot. So now being in college I do miss high school. Kids now a days cant wait to go to college, it not what it seems in movies, yes you can party but you have to put in alot of hard work and study time to get good grades and do well. To my highschool self I'd say work hard and dont take high school for granted because college gets alot harder.

Christopher

To go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to be more focussed in the classroom and less focussed on girls, friends, and video games. To learn what you can and be very open-minded to all opportunities. If you don't understand something, don't be afraid to ask. No question is a dumb question. When mom wants to help you with all aspects of getting any and all information for college for you, including campus visits and her questions she has for them, don't be embarrassed and roll your eyes, she only wants whats best for you!

Advice from a future you, may seem too good to be true. It may seem a bad science fiction movie. However, I have some very important advice to my high school senior self about the college experience. Firstly, take some chances. College is all about getting an academic career, but it is about taking risks and exploring the community. By taking risks, high school senior me, I mean to join that nerdy videogame club no matter if you would feel like the laughing stalk of your friends or try changing up your rountine. By taking these risks, you will be able to really live the college experience instead of observing as it passes you by. This will help you meet new people, feel more confident and make your transition easier. So, my high school senior self, take some chances and gain new experiences. Also, don't slip in front of your professor. He'll never let you live it down.

Sabriah

If I could go back in time and talk to myself I would tell myself to save money, because there are things I need that my meal plan cant buy. Also I would do a better job of knowing the material I learned not memorizing, but actually learning. I would also tell myself to have fun, venture and do things I want to do because homework is time consuming based on what major you choose.

Jacob

dont be afraid, believe in yourself and the things you are passionite about, talk to an adviser about the things you need to do to make your goals. If you start to feel stressed go see a therapist, they are great at not only listening and giving good advice but also giving you methods to help you cope on the spot with anything stressful or overwelming. Talk to others, email people about study groups, study a little bit each day and leave room foor a social life, everyone needs to relax everyonce and awhile and takeing breaks from studying helps you remember things you study. dont be afraid to admit you need help and interact with teachers, they care more than you think and are willing to talk openly with you about subjects, study methods, or just extra interesting information to fuel that fire inside your drive and passion for the class.

Kelsey

It is important not to be intimidated by the transition into college. After I was accepted to Kent State University for Fashion, I was very nervous about fitting in. The most important advice I would give to high school seniors is to be confident and to take chances. I have become a strong and determined person and I have learned so much about myself just in two semesters here at Kent State University. I was extremely nervous about the transition from high school to college, worrying that I would not fit in such an established program at a large school. The most significant decision I have made in my life was to attend a college without knowing anyone else here. I would advise high school students to take risks and be confident about their choices they make. You find your place in this world when you branch outside of your comfort zone! Ralph Waldo Emerson once said "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.” I would advise high school students to experiment with as many opportunities as possible, it makes for an impeccable journey.

As a college student that is almost finished with her freshman year, I have a lot of insight now that I wish I had had as a high school senior. When I was in 12th grade, I was so unsure of what I wanted to do with my life and what college would be the right fit for me. Looking back, I definitely think I should have gone on more college visits to explore campuses. The layout of the college campus is actually so important! Furthermore, I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as I possibly could! Back then, I had no idea where to start since there are so many scholarships to apply for. But now, I think the best advice I could give myself is to just start! My school, as well as others, offer so many opportunities for financial assistance and it is in everyone's best interest to take the time to apply. Lastly, I would generally tell myself to enjoy the college experience and not get so stressed over every little detail. All of this advice would have been very helpful back then.

Robert

Study hard in high school so could test out of basic classes in college.

If I could go back and give my high school senior self advice, I would tell her that she shouldn't be so nervous about the changes that follow graduation. Even though a lot will change, it's not as scary as she thinks. Her true friends from home will stay her friends no matter the distance, and she will make new, amazing friends. Classes will be challenging but nothing she can't handle. Moving away from home may seem scary now, but it will give her freedom and teach her to be independent. I would tell her that starting over in a new place with all new people will allow her express herself and become whoever she wants to be. College is where she will find herself and make some of the best memories of her life. Don't be scared for change because change isn't always a bad thing, sometimes it's the best thing.

Taylar

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would try to convince myself to take some things more seriously than others. I would tell myself that how people view you doesn't matter as much as how you view yourself. Have confidence in your abilities and don't ever let anyone tell you how you should act. The most important thing you can do is be yourself because you are the one that has to live with the person you become. Also, learn how to do taxes. Because taxes are hard but necessary. So ask for help. Never be afraid to ask for help. Everyone can be a resource, so don't hesitate to pick their brain for information. Just remember to love yourself without bounds and don't push people away because you don't want to get hurt. It is okay to get hurt. You just have to get back up and try again. It'll all be okay. Everything will work out in the end. Just keep believing.

Leah

If I could go and talk to myself as a high school senior, the biggest piece of advice I could give to myself would be that I should have gotten a job that summer. I looked for one, but not hard enough, and I should have tried harder. Having more money would have releived a lot of stress from my first semester at school. Something else I would tell myself is that I would see almost nobody from high school once I left, so to do whatever I wanted with how I looked. Only once I got to college was I brave enough to cut my hair and look the way I felt comfortable, however I would have done it earlier had I had the courage. I definitely would have told myself how much happier I would have been with short hair, and that I should just do it while I'm still in high school because what everyone else thought wouldn't matter.

Dustin

If I could go back and talk to my past self I would tell myself that studying becomes more important in college. I would also tell myself to apply for scholarships early and on time and take every learning opportunity that arises. I would also tell myself to do more for the community and take time to enjoy the little things and my friends. I would tell myself to take advantage of having my parents as assests for financial stability and to get a job. The more money you make now the better it will be for your future endeavors. Finally, I would tell myself to take every opportunity to prepare now for the future.

Gabrielle

If I could go back and talk to my younger self, I would tell myself so much. I would tell myself to find your true friends quickly, and don't let people who pretend to care about you in your life; because you will suffer greatly from it. I would tell myself to stop procrastinating and actually wake up in the morning, to listen to Mom and Dad when they tell me things. To make sure my physical health is intact, eat better, and keep swimming even if you can't get the urge to get out of bed. Overall I would just tell myself to let herself have fun, learn to love coffee, and to never give up, because I know I almost did.

Bethany

Advice I would give to graduating high school seniors would be to fill out scholarships. College is expensive, you need all the scholarships you can get to pay for college. When you go to college you will have a lot more freedom then you did in high school. Some mistakes freshmen make when they start college is they take advantage of the freedom they are given by studying less, partying/hanging out with friends more. Don't take advantage of the freedom because you will fall behind on grades & eventually not be able to bring them up. College is a completely different than high school. Get involved early on by joining different clubs and organizations, do not be afraind to make friends that you wouldn't normally be friends with. You would be surprised who you can come friends with at college. College is where you can meet some of the best friends of your life. College is where you find yourself and are able to become more independent. It's okay if you don't know what you want to do with the rest of your life and it is perfectly fine if you change major once or more.

If I could go back and talk to myself I would encourage myself to wait to declaire a major until my third semester. It has brought me a lot of pain and grief over trying to decide weather or not to change my major or to just tough it out. I would also remind myself that no teacher is going to chace you down and remind you to turn in your homework. It is now your responsiblity and your responsiblity only.

Olivia

There are a few things that I would warn myself about if I could go back and talk to myself before I graduated. I would warn myself that I would need to learn to study because in college, it is a very vital skill to have. I would also warn myself that even though finally getting the chance to live on my own may make it seem like I get to make my own rules, which is partially true, I still need to keep in mind how much responsibility is tied into the experience. Also, the professors in college are much more strict about deadlines. College is very different from high school. You won't always have someone telling you what to do and when to do it every day. Everything is on you.

Hannah

I would tell myself several things. The first thing I would say would be along the lines of: do not expect everything to be exactly as you think it is going to be. There is no way that things are going to end up going the way that you have planned and that is not always a bad thing. The second thing would be: do not worry about making friends. You are actually much better at talking to people than you think you are.

Abigail

I would tell myself to get into better study habits early on in the first semester of college. I struggled with finding a good balance between sstudying and social obligations at first. I feel that I can perform much better than I did early on in my college career. I would also tell myself to make a friend in my field or in my classes that I could study with. Someone else that had the same knowledge and information as me to help keep me accountable for my schoolwork and other obligations would have been helpful.

Katelyn

Don't forget what you love. In a world so focused on capital gains, it's very easy to disregard what makes you happy in exchange for what makes you money. I'm saying this to you now, my high school senior self, because that is what I have learned in the past two years since graduation. If I had actually recieved this advice in 2013, maybe I would not have spent $22,000 dollars on a year of unhappiness at a liberal arts school and a subsequent year spent working full-time as a waitress, trying to save some money. Take the risk and go to art school. Do what you have loved since the first day of kindergarten. It is no use changing your stubborn mind in favor of what you think you are supposed to do. Don't forget about art, even if it won't be the most lucrative or stable path. Making the decision to retire from a classic liberal arts education and dive back into art will save you. Dont' forget what you love and you will thrive.

Paige

If I had to go back in time and give advice to my younger self there are many things I would want to say. Achieving your goal of become a Registered Nurse will not be easy but it will be worth all your hard work. All the long nights of studying will be worth it! Becoming a Registered Nurse is not only a job but a profession that you can be proud of. Achieving this goal will bring not only you a better life but a better life for your family. Stay passionate about your dreams and never give up.

Courtney

If I could go back and talk to myself when I was a senior I would tell myself to not stop trying. Once I got accepted to Kent I sort of gave up because I thought it didn't matter. It did matter though. I would tell myself to keep working hard and to apply for a lot of scholarships. I would also tell myself to stay involved. I played sports but I would tell myself to do a lot of volunteer work. I would just tell myself to keep working hard because even though high school is almost over, college is right around the corner. Work hard, get involved and stay focused. That is what I would tell myself if I could go back.

Melissa

If I could go back in time and give my high school senior self advice, I would tell myself to have as much fun as possible during the summer before college. The fashion design program that I am taking in school is a very demanding program, and I have very little time to socialize or just relax. The summer before college started I worked 30+ hours as a nanny, and I studied hard so that I could take as many clep tests as possible, which gave me credit for classes that I didn't have to take once I got to college. I would advise the past me to still study for the clep tests, but to work fewer hours and enjoy my summer hanging out with my friends and family, since I don't get much time for that now. I am very glad that I have chosen to go to Kent State University, and I enjoy being challenged as much as I am in the fashion design program. I know that my instructors are giving me all the skills and knowledge I need so that I can make my dreams come true.

sierra

Dear Sierra, Please, please, please break out of your shell. When you get to college you will need to make friends, especially since your best friend will be out of state. Dont forget that you are in the fashion world now, and a huge part of being successful in fashion is connections. Networking! Don't be afraid to be yourself, and don't bash yourself when you make mistakes. Another huge part of college life is time management. Do Not Ever wait until the last minute to do your work. Granted, you will have long nights regardless, because there is always something to be doing, but you dont ever want to put so much stress on yourself to the point where you cant sleep at night. Finally, just have fun. Go with the flow, and make tons of fun memories. with love, Your future college self

Gwendolyn

Before attending college, I knew little about life outside of my hometown. The only things I knew about college came from my family and friends who had experienced a college setting or the way the media had been portraying it for the past decade or so. Therefore; I scarcely knew anything about a college experience. If I could go back in time and tell my high school senior self some advice, to thrive in college, it would be to focus entirely on you. I know this may sound a little strange but knowing what I know now about college I think this is the best advice I could give. To me, college is all about finding yourself and finding out what you are truly interested in or what you are passionate about. Instead of trying to constantly please other people, college students need to learn how to please themselves and find their own voice. In a society where everything is told to us about how we should live our day-to-day lives, an individual has to be able to stand up for their own thoughts and choose for themselves what is right. Sometimes being selfish can pay off.

Tamara

If I had the opportunity to go back and talk about the future with myself as a senior, I would tell her that everything is going to work out. The 18 year old I was had just experienced a very difficult life situation, and was not entirely sure what the future would bring. I would tell her that even though the tragic event would affect her for a long time, it would give her the strength to perservere, as well as find her passion. I would tell her that happiness does not come from following the plans others have for her life, but rather to find something that makes her come alive, and do that as much as possible. I would also ask her to trust her instincts, know that she is smart, and that relationships will come and go. Hold on to situations and relationships as long as they serve a purpose for both parties, and then move on, taking the memories and lessons, but find the place for new experiences and doors. The doors will open, just not always where you may expect them.

"Slow down. It's going to be okay." I was extremely nervous about making the transition to college. Would I make friends? Would I pass my classes? Are the teachers meaner? What AM I going to do when I grow up? I was so concerned with looking far into the future that I felt paralyzed in the present. After getting to college, however, I realized that each day is a process. You have to get up, go to each class, learn the expectations, and take it one day at a time. I would tell myself that the future can be scary, but that I'll get there when I'm ready. By the time I'm ready to graduate, I'm sure I'll know what I want to do. I'll make friends along the way. I'll learn what to expect from teachers - even the mean ones. I would tell little High School Jenn to take college as it comes, and that we'll make it through.

Sandy

Before coming into college I was just looking to get a degree to qualify for a good job. However, when I came to college I realized that I can do way more than that. College opened my eyes to a lot of new opportunities like geting involved and gaining leadership skills, studying abroad for a semester, or seeking an internship in a good company. I wish I had realized my potential before I came to college.

Brandon

Becoming a college student is a difficult and complicated process. If I could travel backwards in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, we would inevitably talk about college experiences and being apart of higher education. Normally, I procrastinate on my studies, believing that I have all the time in the cosmos, but as a student at Kent State, I am unable to do so. With gigantic projects, you need to take your time and put in your best effort. While trying to accoplish assignments, it is in your best interest to keep on schedule. Make a calander, do small parts of the project at a time, and try to get the assignment done as soon as possible. It is also a good idea to ask questions, whether you may think it is a dumb one. College is a wonderous education system. Don't ruin any chances you may have at a future.

Kali

I would tell myself to get involved the second that I got on campus. When I first got to Kent State I was a little afraid to get involved because I wanted to do well in school, and I was already involved in a volunteer program in Kent. I did slowly get involved, I joined the sorority Delta Gamma, I joined Psychology Club, and I am planning on joining the honors fraternity. I would tell myself to get involved right from the beginning of fall semester, and not to wait. I feel like even waiting just the couple months that I did, I missed out on some great opportunities. For me, getting involved has actually helped me do well in school. It has engaged my interest in college in general, and spiked my pasion for education. College can teach students so much more than just what is taught in the classroom. Getting involved can teach students time management, relationship skills, the importance of charity work, and more. So, if I got the opportunity to talk to myself as a senior, I would give the advice to get involved in as much as possible as soon as I stepped on campus.

Kara

I would tell myself that it's okay not to be involved with every activity and to say "yes" to everything. Sometimes you need to focus on you and that's okay!

Lindsay

College is not all fun and pretty flower fields when you first get there. It's scary and the tranistion will make you very uncomfortable and almost scared to start your college career. Not everyone is going to be your bestfriend when you first get there. It takes time and someone will end up being your friend. After time goes on, you will make more friends and you will make friends in your classes and in your major. College is about finding yourself and what you make of it. Give it a chance and just let things happen. I've learned that not everyone is going to love you and want to be friends with you. You are there to pursue the life you want in the working field. Keep your head up, stay strong, and never give up on chances and obstacles that life is going throw at you.

I would tell myself to not think of my self worth through how many friends I have or how many pictures people like on my Facebook or Instagram. When I first got to college I felt like I was a loner because I only had a few friends, I would come back to my room and cry all of the time and I felt awful. Now, I realize that sometimes a few close friends are a lot better than a lot of fake ones that aren't going to be your friend after school is over. The close friends I have actually care about me and what I'm going to do with my life. So I would definitely tell myself to not get caught up in the social life too much. It's not like high school, you don't know everyone so you're not going to have as many friends that you grew up with, and that's OK.

Jordan

Do not focus your life around any other person than yourself, don't be afraid to ask for help. Ask as many clarifying questions as you need to fully grasp a concept. Do not let bad professors intimidate you, they are there to help, and if they aren't the need to be. Get a job, having your own income is rewarding, but actually save some money. Last but not least, try new things and let yourself grow.

Morgan

The number one piece of advice I would give to my high school self is to study to learn, not to memorize. I got by in High School studying to ace the exam, rather than studying to learn the material. In college, it is so much harder for me to do well on exams because the questions being asked on exams are application questions, and because I don't know how to study correctly, doing well is much harder for me. Another big piece of advice I would give is to get involved. Whether it be signing up for intramurals, club sports, or clubs, just do what you can to get involved. The more you have on your resume, the better you appear to college admission officers.

Josh

Do not be afraid is all I would tell myself. There will be nonstop opportunities for you to feel uncomfortable and back out of. That is not how you could be taking this experience. I would say, wake up every morning with a smile on your face, and go out there and tackle the day. Make every single day worth it. If you are not getting out of bed putting your best effort just go back to bed. College is going to be the most fun , but also one of the most stressful times of your life. The trick to getting through it all is, just keeping a smile on your face. If that can be managed, then there will be absolutelty nothing to worry about. You came here to get an education make sure that is put first, and enjoy the ride, it is the best of your life. Make this time about making yourself into the best version of yourself you can be.

Rosalie

Dear High School Self, Don't worry. Stop stressing about your SAT scores, they're better than what you need and no one cares about them after you get to college. Stop scouring the internet for the perfect major and start searching for yourself, it makes the process a lot easier. Stop worrying so much about your boyfriend or best friend, if they really care about you they'll keep in touch. The dorm rooms are smaller than you think, I promise. Once you get moved in and realize how small it is you'll want to pack it all up and go home. I know how much you're worrying about the 'freshman fifteen,' but don't worry, campus is big enough that you'll walk off that burrito before it goes to your thighs. I'm not going to lie to you, self, there will be nights that you want to cry (and believe me you will). There will be exams you feel unprepared for, and there will be awful nights. But those are outweighed by the times spent laughing with your friends while watching 'Mean Girls.' College is amazing so don't stress yourself out. Love, You.

Amy

Going back to when I was a senior, I would first tell myself to get serious with your financial aid. College is not cheap, whether you are going to community college or a big university it is extremely expensive. Second, I would tell myself that no job is worth your health or your grades. Third, go straight to the main campus. Yes, community college is cheaper and you love your job. But going to the main campus will give you so many more opportunites than the ones you get at Kent Ashtabula going part time because of a full time job. And lastly, I would tell myself that it is okay to not know. At eighteen, you're not supposed to know everything or what you want to do. Do not let anyone make you feel inferior.

Shelby

If I could go back in time to my high school self I would tell myself not to be afraid of change. By the time that it has been a year since you walked across that stage to recieve your high school diploma a lot will have changed. You will have had your last summer with your high school friends, had your first day on campus and will have taken your first college exams. You will stress out and study for hours and think that high school did not help you prepare for this at all. But no one can fully prepare you for your first semster of college. You will lose contact with many old friends but you will see new faces on campus to meet everyday. There will be a lot more personal responsilbilty that you put on yourself to succed because college is a whole different ball game. The one thing that you need to realize though is this change is one step closer to your future. Your first year out of high school is a lot of change but this change will make you a better person and you will finally know yourself.

Kara

You're graduating within the next couple months, not that I have to remind you of that--You are well aware considering it is all you think about. You think that leaving high school means leaving behind the people that judged you for every little aspect of your life, or that all the rules are suddenly gone and you have absolute freedom, and your biggest mistake is assuming that just because you are moving on to college means that the boy that broke your heart will no longer be relevant. This is the last thing you want to hear as a senior in high school getting ready to graduate but someone has to tell you--High school NEVER ends. Everything you had to put up with in high school, you will continue to affect you in college, in your future career and beyond. You have to accept it. The difference is made with how you handle it. Worry about yourself instead of others and it will make the change you've been yearning for. Stand up for YOURSELF. Be healthy, study hard, be vulnerable, do what YOU enjoy-- for YOURSELF. Most importantly, smile and be brave. You deserve it.

Jordan

I would tell my self not to be closed minded, as I was in highschool I meet great friends in college from chinneses to black and anywhere in between. I had the best time of my life my first semester of college at Kent State and ill do anything to go back. Kent State helped me realize how great people are no matter what they look like or how they speak and being in highschool I would of ever thought that.

Carolyn

If I could talk to my old self I would tell myself to choose the school that has a variety of majors. Majority of college student's change their major at least once, I was one of these students. I would tell myself to give Kent State a second chance to to be willing to step out of my comfort zone. I would tell old Carolyn that things are going to be challenging and the classes are way different the high school and community college. There will be time when the stress gets to you, but know that it gets better. Carolyn, I would say, you need to stop being afraid of what others will think of you because their opinions don't matter, their judgments don't matter, so try things you never thought you would. Be spontaneous and stop worrying about th future because its only preventing you from living you life today. There are some many activities and interest clubs on campus, don't join them all your first semester, rather try a few and make new friends, because you only have today garentteed, tomorrow is a mystery that isn't a concern.

If I could, I would tell my past self exactly this: first off, you need to work hard. Books, classes, the dorm, the laptop, and Adobe Cloud cost money. I know that our job sucks, but having enough money to pay for a full year is just one less thing to worry about if it's taken care of, so suck it up and work more hours over the summer. Secondly, there will be a lot more free time tha expected, so spend it wisely. Put more effort into and spend more of your time on VCD projects. Take advantage of the ability to make appoitments with your professors because thatone-on-one setting with them is the most valuable use of your time. Don't forget time management, it's the key to balancing everything out. And finally, make friends. Friends are important in the transition from home life to college life. It is important to have people around you that make you feel comfortable and help make the transition smoother. You're going to be a communications major, put that skill to use. Swollow your anxiety and talk to people, it will really help out later on.

Lindsey

To go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I'd give myself advice like get invovled! There are so many wonderful groups and clubs to make friends and learn to be more successful. I'd also tell myself not to worry about finding a job. There are so many opportunities on and off campus that will work around your schedule to help you succeed in finding a job. I'd also tell myself not to be afraid to make friends. There are so many different kinds of people on campus, it's hard not to find someone you'll have something in common with. And the University provides welcome back events to help you make friends. They're not as lame as they sound. You'll meet yourbest friends there!

Jamie

If i could go back in time and give my high school self advice about the transition into new ventures I would tell my self two things: 1. to put myself out there to do things I enjoy and meet new people and 2. Take time to fill out scholarships because although they may be time consuming they are extremely helpful.

Lisa

Go to college right from high school. I waited and have regretted it. There was always another life event that kept me from fulfilling my goal. Money, marriage, children, aging parents, jobs etc. I am finally completing my education at 46 years old. Don't put off getting your education. Do it while you are young and life is easier! Don't let anyone or anything stop you or get in your way!

Melissa

I would remind my former self that I have more potential than I think I do but in order to access it I will need to open my mind to new experiences and ideas. I would also remind myself to focus on what my heart feels is right so that I can be assertive in the way I present myself and my ideas. I think I would also encourage the former me to relax at times and take things as they come because change is an integral aspect of life.

Shaylah

I would tell myself to buckle down. During my senior year I received good grades, but I could have done better, and focused harder on my school work. I was told my sophomore year of high school to start filling out scholarships and maintain a 3.5 GPA. Even though I received one scholarship and have received a 3.5GPA at least once in my high school career. I didn't take it seriously. I hung with my boyfriend, friends and decided to do the bare minimum. I would slap myself in the face and explain to me about the struggles that I will be facing and this is not the time to slack. I would also have told myself to ask for help the more the merrier, because that would have really saved me a lot of time and disappointments. I would most of all encourage myself to start at a two year college and save up money for an car and an apartment to decrease the cost of living. Lastly I would tell myself that I can make it and overcome these obstacles that are in my way.

Melissa

If I could go back and talk to myself in high school there would be many things I would tell myself. First, I would tell myself to not be nervous. Before starting college I was so nervous about the transition and how people would see me as a person. The college I attend is a judgment free zone at all times no matter if it regards clothing, race, sexuality, or personal interest. Second, I would tell myself to not underestimate my classes, and not all teachers teach the same way. My first semester of college I treated my classes how I did in high school. After my first tests I realized how much I needed to apply myself and that I needed to take advantages of the resource my college provided for me. Lastly, I would say it is never too early to think about the future. When I was in high school I thought I had all this time to figure out what I wanted to do with my life, but the reality is, is that every day we get closer and closer to who we want to be in life and there is no time to waste.

Jacob

If I were able to go back in time to give my high school self advice, the first thing I would say is make more mistakes. Upon going to college, I made a lot of mistaktes for the first time, and it was hard. In high school, I always played it safe. I knew almost the entire faculty and staff, so I had a fail-safe if anything went wrong. In college, you do not get to know professors like you did your high school teachers. The chances of becoming good friends with staff in any of the offices, is slim-to-none. If you make a mistake, you are left to deal with it like an adult. If I met my past self, it would be a very short conversation. All I would need to say is, "Make more mistakes." My past self would know what I meant. High school is like the shallow end of a pool, college is like the deep end. It is better to learn how to swim in the shallow end of a pool, rather than the deep end.