Kent State University at Kent

« See more reviews of Kent State University at Kent

High School Self, I'm here to provide you with useful information toyou should consider. Currently you are a young parent who went through many negative experiences. You have an amazing boy & a loving fiancé who make you very happy. This advice can get you here in less stressful manner. Consider your finances! Take Personal Finance your first semester, even though it's not required. This class will teach you how to be financially wise & provide useful information you will use the rest of your life. Next, do not get discouraged when occurrences in life cause you to change majors; it happens with everyone. If you want more time so you can work & be with people you care about, take online courses. Do not surround yourself by people who bring you down. You are extremely caring, but you do not need to overdo it. Concentrate on your studies & don’t skip classes. You will fall behind. Ask for help. Study before tests, do not “wing it”. Stay true to yourself & be an honest person. Don’t forget your family, they are the ones who love & support you & help get you through your college years. Good Luck! Love, Your College Self

First, I would recommend patience. Do not spend your time wishing life away. Do not rush through highschool, but embrace the time you have left. Cherish it. Time will go faster than you think, and you can never get it back. More importantly, never forget where you come from. I went to a small school my whole life, and wanted to experience somthing bigger. I found everything I was looking for, and more. But it does not mean you change who you are. Be yourself. Remember your family, friends, teammates, coaches, teachers, and mentors. They shaped you into the person you are today, and its everything you learned from them that will make the transition to a new enviorment that much easier. Remember what they taught you, and the sacrafices those people made in order for you to be happy and successful. Education is a powerful thing, and you are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to utilize it in order to create the life you have envisioned. Take advantage of it; do not waste it. Make sure you have your priorities straight: schoolwork should always come first. Make the best of every situation, and let the good times roll!

Dan, you need to listen to me, and listen well. I know your head is probably spinning since your future self is speaking to you, but I only have so much time, so no questions. Consider the last four years a mandatory educational playground. You went every day and you learned through your environment as well as your own personal experimentation. A foundation of knowledge has been built, and you've had substantial time to figure yourself out. Albeit the drama and stress you've endured has been unfortunate, life has remained simple, easy going if you will. That all needs to change here. There are three things I couldn't stress more, and demand you never forget. First, reflect long and hard on yourself and your future. Planning ahead is much easier when your mind isn't indecisive. This leads to the second bit of counsel. Although planning is easier with a resolute mind, don't rush yourself. Yes, submit things on time, but sacrificing quality for time only leads to pitfalls. Procrastination will be your nemesis. Lastly, express your feelings to those close to you more. You have no idea how much help those around you can be.

The idea of going back in time, to when I was in high school, has been a repeating conversation topic throughout my years in college. I did not attend college directly after high school simply because I did not want to place my passion on the back burner. I was an avid equestrian and I spent most of my free time working on a small farm in order to afford a horse. Going back, I would explain to myself that attending college still allows time for extra curricular activities. I would encourage myself to set high goals and realize that college is the foundation for all of my dreams to come true. I would definitly tell myself that in college I find a love for chemistry courses and suggest majoring in biochemistry right away. I would tell myself about the passionate professors and new friends I have met and describe the respect you receive from friends, professors, and family by maintaining excellent grades. Lastly, I would emphasize attending more clubs and activities in order to increase my self confidence. I believe that my low confidence when in a large group was another main reason for waiting to attend college.

When choosing a college, college visits are very important. It is essential to visit the campus and learn about the programs offered and the enviornment surrounding the campus. The enviornment can tell a significant amount about the campus and how comfortable the student will feel attending the campus. Also, look at the programs that are offered and how these will benefit you in the passions you have for your future. When you make the decison in confidence, you will know you have chosen the right college for you. Then, when attending the college, you can make the most of your experience. Although campus life may distract you, it is important to stay focused and disciplined in your class work. By working hard, you will be getting the most of your choice of college, you will feel passionate about school, and hopefully the enviornment will lead to meeting new people who can encourage you and grow with you. College is a wonderful time of learning, personal growth, and preparation for the future. Hopefully whichever college you choose will encourage these things, and you can make the most of your college experience.

It is important not to be intimidated by the transition into college. After I was accepted to Kent State University for Fashion, I was very nervous about fitting in. The most important advice I would give to high school seniors is to be confident and to take chances. I have become a strong and determined person and I have learned so much about myself just in two semesters here at Kent State University. I was extremely nervous about the transition from high school to college, worrying that I would not fit in such an established program at a large school. The most significant decision I have made in my life was to attend a college without knowing anyone else here. I would advise high school students to take risks and be confident about their choices they make. You find your place in this world when you branch outside of your comfort zone! Ralph Waldo Emerson once said "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.” I would advise high school students to experiment with as many opportunities as possible, it makes for an impeccable journey.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a college senior, I would have so many recommendations in accordance with transitioning into college life. However, my major focus would be on personal growth in college. I would recommend meeting as many people as possible and getting involved. Cullowhee offers so many amazing volunteer and service learning opportunities. There is always some way to get involved on campus or in the nearby town. The best way to figure out who you are in life is to step outside of your comfort zone and push your personal limits. Life is too short to be afraid of what people think of you. Western Carolina University has a laid back atmosphere and the people here are extremely friendly and encourage you to express yourself. It is an extremely accepting and welcoming environment, which is very comforting for students who may be away from home for the first time ever. I would recommend to myself to take it easy and focus on school as well. Academics are a very important part of any students’ life. Overall, I would advise myself to strive to be the best student I could be.

My college experience has been somewhat varied until now. Having graduated from high school in the 1980's, I attended a distant Illinois state college and was on the Dean's List. In the 1990's, I had changed my career path, attended a local community college, and graduated with a High Honors, Associate Degree in Nursing. Both college experiences were extremely valuable in their own environments and in what they had to offer. As an attendant to the state college, I had the joy of being the college mascot; I lived on campus, without a car and walked to every class--most of which were 1/2 hour one-way. I also had joined a social sorority that required a high G.P.A. and philanthropic endeavors, and held the position of Vice President and Standard's Board Chairperson. This experience taught me how to balance social desires with educational demands. As an attendant to the community college, I learned the benefit of low teacher:student ratio that encouraged a high-quality interaction. Finally going back for my BSN, I am going to attend a local, private 4-year college to obtain the best of both experiences!

Don’t hesitate. To ask, to prepare, to begin, to take risks, to lean, to move on, to be scared, to be stubborn, to speak. Not hesitating doesn't mean acting without thinking. Not hesitating means acting in such a way that, whatever the consequences, you live without regrets — taking the outcomes of your actions, or lack thereof, for what comes, learning from poor choices and looking forward to applying those experiences to the future. You don’t make mistakes, you only make poor choices. High school doesn't prepare you for life. It might prepare you academically, but college will be a culture shock. Don’t panic. Don’t hesitate to ask for help, to learn to discipline yourself, to learn better note-taking skills, to learn to plan ahead, to start early, to read quickly and summarize often. Don’t hesitate to get involved early, to apply for scholarships despite the mind-numbing process, to eat healthy and get fit. And don’t hesitate to ask that girl out. She likes you, too. Don’t hesitate. Learn from every situation and experience, grow and help others. Don’t hesitate, because if you do, you will have regrets.

The first piece of advise that i would give myself is to start applying for as many scholarships as possible. The financial burden of attending college strictly on government loans can be overwhelming once you graduate and have to start paying the loans back. Also, regardless of how tempting it may be, or how many free t-shirts and phone cards they offer you, do not apply for credit cards while in college. Furthermore, take each class seriously and protect your GPA. As you get further into your college career it becomes increasingly harder to rebound from bad grades and improve your GPA. Plus, you may miss opportunities to study abroad in your major becuase your cumulative GPA fell below the requirement to go. Do not be fooled to think that once you finish college that you will get a high paying, corner office job in your major field. The reality is, many people coming out of college don't find jobs in their major and start of at an entry level position. So, enjoy college life while you can becuase beyond those doors lies a hardened world that can snatch your dreams, happiness, and joy if you allow it.