Kent State University at Kent

« See more reviews of Kent State University at Kent

I came to Kent State on a whim and there has not been a day that I have regretted that decision. The uniquely arboreous and open campus environment provides for comfortable student life throughout the campus. The atmosphere both inside and outside of the campus has allowed me to open my eyes and challenge myself to step out of my comfort zone. There is also a lot of history that is associated with Kent State University and it is this history that seems to unite both alumni and current students with the commonality of understanding the importance of the events of May fourth. I have enjoyed my academic experience because the university provides for a variety of different styles of courses and instruction that students can choose from. As a student, I have felt like I have been in control of my education and that it is up to me to make the best of the experience. The academic, social, and active experience that I have had has resulted in my personal growth and discovery. Had I went to a more conservative university, I would not have gained the strong sense of independence that I now have.

In January of 2009 I began my journey towards obtaining my Associates Degree at Clark College. I had been out of school for many years to raise a family and to work; however, I am excited to be back and ready to achieve my goal. My long term goal is to become a licensed Speech and Language Pathologist. Having worked in the public school setting for many years, I observed many special needs students struggling with speech and language disabilities. It was through those observations, and by working side by side with these special needs students, that created the passion and desire within me to become a SLP. It is the desire and dedication towards achieving my goal that has led me to be successful in my studies thus far. Currently, I have a 4.0 GPA at Clark College. I know my diligence will continue to pay off in my studies. Returning to school has envoked in me both a desire to be a better person and to help others. Furthermore, it has also demonstrated to me the importance of education in today's world. My hope is that I can share that importance with children through my career.

Talk to a high school counselor as a junior and find out what future educational opportunites are available to you to work on during high school as well as after. You can start applying for scholarships as early as your junior year in high school. The earlier you apply for these and the more you can apply for will increase your chances of acquiring available scholarships. Work really hard on getting excellent grades while in high school. You could be named valedictorian and get a free ride to college. You can reduce the number of credits required in college or at a university by taking as many college classes as you can while in high school. Focus on the science and math classes. Get involved in school clubs and organizations and look into volunteering in communiy service opportunites. Look for mentors. Find people you have volunteered with or have worked with in some way and see if these people are willing to write a letter of recommendation for you to apply to scholarships. The sooner you get started on what needs to be done to secure your future, the more success you will have.

For students and parents starting the college journey, when selecting the right college, it is important that both parties be involved. The student and parent should both sit down and make lists of what is important to them when selecting a college. For example, small vs. large campus, distance from home, academic programs, etc. Through those, you should be able to narrow down your choices to choose the school that has the most matches to your list. Also, its a good idea to choose what will make you happy, not because a bunch of your friends are going there or your parents went there. When making the most of the college experience, I would advise you to take advantage of every opportunity to do something new, to expand your knowledge, and to meet new people. By doing this, you will be giving yourself the opportunity to add new dimensions to your college experience that will enhance it and you will be able to look back and say, "I'm glad I decided to step out of the box and try something different while I was in college." Because it will help you in the long run in your future endeavors.

Being a sophomore in college now, I have really gotten a chance to understand the changes that take place from graduation until now. Many high school seniors are a bit naive going into college, as I also was. I did not understand the intensity of college, and I also did not understand the amazing opportunities that would be presented to me. I would give the advice to be prepared for your life to make a big change. Change is not a bad thing, and many great things come from it. I would tell myself to be open to new experiences and allow myself to try anything and everything I wanted to. College is about discovering yourself and working towards and building your future. I would encourage myself to not get too stressed when courses get hectic and to always look ahead at how much this college experience will shape your future and present you with lifelong opportunities. Most importantly, I would tell myself to have fun and enjoy an amazing 4 years ahead of you. Academics come first, but you must make time for exciting, new, and fun activities so you can enjoy your ride to success and the future.

LIFE ISN'T A BIG PARTY! This is one of the main things I would tell myself repeatedly! I now know that how you prepare for today is how your tomorrow will look and partying isn't much preparation for a successful future. I would instruct myself to have a closer relationship with my college advisor and to visit them regularly, because they are very helpful in steering a freshman's college career in the correct path. When dealing with the decision to become a working student, I would advise myself to schedule my hours accordingly to prevent an interference with my early classes. When advising self, I would make it clear that it's important to utilize all available resources that are offered. I would tell myself to network, network and network some more. You can never know enough people. I would tell myself to have a personal relationship with each of my professors and go to their office hours. If they see that you care about your grades they are more willing to show leniency if needed. Lastly, I would advise myself to stay focused on what I came to college for - an education not a vacation.

STAY AWAY FROM ANY AND EVERY LOAN THROWN YOUR WAY. FAFSA is not all free money, most of it is loans. Get with your guidance consuelor to help you research for scholarships and grants instead. Once you start school, the first time you take notes, go home and study the that night. Meanwhile, continue to do so everyday to keep the subject fresh and repeat with new information. This way, when it's time for examines you will not have to cram and you can get get rest the night before. Also, start project research the day it is assigned to you because you never know how much you'll need, or what you'll find to complete the task. Do not procrastinate, grades are everything your first year, especially! This way, you can stay on top of things and particiapte in major-related organizations which are very benefcial longterm. Rent your school books, this will save you tons of money. (Chegg.com) Get a job, something small: maybe a waiter. Save up before you move out so you wont have to go without, or live paycheck to paycheck. Get an apartment, which will lower your overall tution tremendously.

There are various levels beyond high school. There is no limit in extending of oneself's career! The future depends on the present. The way you shape up your life today will definitely leads you to your tomorrow! Do your best in whatever you can to prove yourself worthy of any opportunity offer to you. Never give up and never feel negative about yourself. Always remember there are other ways. When a door is closed, another one somewhere is open. Look for it , believe in yourself and be confident in what you're doing. Nowadays, we can't imagine people's lives without college experience. Since technology increases rapidly, all things are updated into a 'more civilized standard'. I can say that in this standard , ONLY those with college experience survives! The best example for this is when you're looking for a job! Your resume' will says it all. I guarantee that the higher/better college experience you have, the more chance for you to success! So to sum up,never think it's too late or it's a waste of time/ money to be in college. Go for it, prove yourself that every sweat worth a gold!

If I could go back in my high school years, then I would advice myself to focus on the studies more than anything else. High school grades are really important to get into better universities. Better high school grades can get you better offers from the univerisities including scholarships. I would also advice mylsef to choose the college not by its outlook or by how big it is. Choose the college by its quality of education and by the things it has to offer to you to make you even brighter and smarter person. While choosing the college, don't be lazy and just make a randon choice. Go through the college websites and actually know what kind of college it is. If possible, go visit the college in person and talk to the college representatives or advisors so that you can have the better knowledge about the college. Also know where your college stands in your desired major and get as much information as you can get about your college, because once you get it the college, all those infomation comes to be really useful to shape up your career. Laslty, appy to the college as early as possible.

I would grab myself and tell myself to get my priorities together. I never saw the big picture in high school. To be able to get a hold of the high school senior version of myself and say "none of things that you put effort towards matter. Everything that you don't care about is extremely important. " , would change everything. I would urge myself to completely flip my list of priorities, because I had it backwards. Now I understand the importance of creating good study habits and studying so that you have basic knowledge on the things that you will be required to go into depth on in college. I would also tell my senior in high school year sef to take a math class. Not taking a math class really came back to haunt me this year. Without a math class, it is highly likely that you will lose most of the skills. For example, algebra is very abstract. By not taking a math class, you are probably never thinking about anything algebraic. Consequently you will lose all the information eventually. Overall, if I could, I would tell high school me to take math and get my priorities straight.