Kent State University at Kent

« See more reviews of Kent State University at Kent

I would give myself would be just to apply for any and every college, i was homeschooled in kuwait leading up to my graduation. when i moved back to the US i recieved my diploma but i was uninterested in school, my goals and objectives were sent on meeting people experiencing the high school graduate life. My father pushed and pushed for my sister and i to attend a community college just to keep us in school. I attended collin county community college for two semesters, i didn't so well, i was distracted between working, school, social life, etc. i needed to work on my time management more than anything else. Shortly after attending Collin College i attended Blinn College, a two year school with dorms. i took a Study skills class that semester, helped my out tremedously. i finsihed the semester with a 3.700, and a new attitude about College. i would simply explain in detail that the age range i was in, there was no better place for me to be than on a university campus. Everything i was involved in was right there! along with having an excited and welcoming academic work enviroment!

Dear Kelley Boatwright (Age 17), Listen up and take the SAT and ACT, or you will regret ignoring this advice. Do not let your grades suffer from stress at home. Please don’t get caught up in whether or not somebody cares about you. Care about yourself enough to realize that this isn’t the time to pine over someone; this is the time to set yourself up for everything you want in life. Do not look for others to help fill a void within you, instead improve and prepare yourself for the future. If you want someone see you differently, you must first change yourself. Stop being afraid and realize that you have more options than you think. Do not dwell on the life and mind altering events of your past, they will paralyze you. You are the only thing that will hold you back. Do not become complacent and stop striving for more from yourself. You are better than that and you know it, just don’t forget it. Most importantly, don’t lose yourself. Keep your neon rainbow aura of quirkiness and never, under any circumstances, stop creating. Sincerely, Yourself at age 27 (with two kids)

Outside of high school, the number one rule is never give up on your dreams. All throughout high school you have maintained a strong passion for athletic training, but tuition has always been in the way. The move to Arizona right after high school is a great way to begin the transition into the college life; however, it is simply settling for something convenient and running away from your past instead of running towards your dreams. Of course, family is important and coming home to help Mom after the first year is the right thing to do, but I urge you to never lose sight of your goal. The economy is tough and certain relationships and events will be even tougher, but as long as you never settle for less than you know you have earned and deserve, you will find happiness and fulfillment of your dreams. Always look ahead without forgetting what has made you strong and don't forget to be thankful for those who help you along the way. Cherish those butterflies in your stomach as you walk into your first college class and remember that someday, you are going to be an athletic trainer.

If I were to travel back in time to my senior year of high school, I would have a lot of advice to give myself. College life and making the transition from high school was a lot more difficult than I expected it to be. The most important advice I would give myself would be to better my study habits. Throughout high school, I was taught that flash cards are the easiest and most efficient way to remember information. Once hitting the college level, I found this to be false. I would tell myself to reread chapters of the text book over and over again. I found that information is retained easier and stays in memory much better when using that study tactic. Other advice to give my high school self would be to work on time management. As a college student with eighteen credits this semester and a part-time job, good time management skills is a must. I would also touch base on the importance of self discipline and making school work my number one priority. If I were to have known these specific habits before entering college, the transition from high school would have been much easier.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would advise myself to work hard freshman year and to seek the necessary help from proffesors and staff. I have learned that your gpa your freshman year in college will follow you throughout your college career. I would explain to my past self that hardwork and a solid gpa my freshman year will enable me with good academic standing and the starting tools to a strong work ethic, which will make my college experience all the more enriching and fufilling. Working hard does not only apply to academics but also to extracirricular activities that will enable myself to make friends and network. Hardwork will boost my college experience. I would also tell myself to seek the help I need. Proffesors are there to help you and provide you with the tools necassary to succeed in all of your academic endeavours. Everyone needs help and it is the proffesors you pay that are there to make sure you are steering yourself in the proper path so you can graduate and enter the workforce prepared for what life has in store.

My parents have always been interested in the financial news since I was a child. Almost every evening I heard them discussing the current economy and financial markets. Whenever they held different ideas, they patiently explained to me in the simplest language as if I might have had the solutions. Although I was unable to view all the issues clearly, I was gradually led to the arena of business and financial analysis. I found out how important the professional knowledge would be if I intended to run a successful company or avoid the unnecessary financial loss at least. I have ever since made the decision to become a professional manager with a formal training in the business school. The major of Management has always remained my top choice. Coming to China earlier to learn Chinese, a few friends of mine told me the business education in the Western countries has lasted for hundreds of years. In China the college education only started opening itself to the modern concept of business management about thirty years ago. We still have a long way to go, but should catch up quickly.

As far back as I can recall I was asked the question, “what do you want to be when you grow up?” With each passing day I would find a different answer: explorer, professional soccer player, or teacher, every day I had a new ambition. This question has been bounced around for years however; I finally understand what it truly means. I now realize that the question is no longer asking what do you want to do, it is asking who will you be? This is the question I am finding my answer to everyday at college. I went to college knowing I wanted to be in the field of education. I chose the path to becoming a middle school teacher specializing in science and social studies. As a teacher my hope is for my students to forget the four walls of a classroom and to see beyond, applying their to their daily lives. I want to engage my students with hands-on learning experiences and techniques that promote education at its’ finest. Without a college degree I would not be able to share my passion for education with future generations, for that reason my college experience is absolutely invaluable.

The transition to college life from high school does not need to be a stressful thing. You have worked hard up to this point and it is now time to reap the rewards. Apply for every scholarship that you can find. This is your golden opportunity to be able to pay for an education. Pretty soon you will be living on your own without the help of your parents so it is also a good idea to learn how to manage your money. Set a goal now to graduate with a four year degree without entering in to debt. Along with the financial preparation needed for college, another aspect of life after high school is the need for social preparation. There will come a time when you will have a roommate that you do not like. This is normal. Focus on doing your best and always trying to follow the example of Jesus Christ. Most confrontations can be avoided by following these two rules. Understand that people come from different cultures and that this greatly influences a person's character. Above all remember that the only person who can determine what you become is, and always will be, you.

I would have told myself to stay focused, no matter what you are going through. I know that some children have it hard at home and they may not receive the support that is most important, but I would explain that it is extremely important to do your best while in High School because it definitely prepares you for college and years beyond. I would also say that not only taking High School courses seriously but to network with all of your teachers, guidance counselors and sports coaches. Every student should have a mentor and this is the best way of obtaining a mentor, someone who is at the school and who can be there for you when you need it the most. Don't party, stay in your books. Don't cheat on homework, test, quizzes, nothing. It is only hindering you from succeeding in the future. Always ask for help and never feel ashamed when you receive a bad grade. If there are tutors available or study groups, always take advantage of the help that you can receive. Stay confident and understand that school isn't meant to be easy, life is a learning process and school helps.

My advice to myself about transitioning to college life would involve being more independent! I always had help when a new experience presented itself. Whether it was signing up for classes, filling out paperwork for a sport, or determining my tax status, I went to people with questions. Not that you don’t have counselors and professors in college; but it’s not the same, I don’t know these people! I was apprehensive using my school email for class instructions and Blackboard to listen to lectures. Buying books and books with access cards took searching for a bargain to a whole new level of online shopping! I have found persistence pays off. So does trial and error! Don’t be afraid to tackle those new experiences by yourself! My brother had never flown on an airplane until he joined the Army and was “forced” to travel alone. After the first time, though, he said he could conquer any airport. I think of that philosophy when I’m trying something for the first time; next time I do this I will be an expert at it. Well, at least I’ll know a little bit about what I’m doing!