Kent State University at Kent

« See more reviews of Kent State University at Kent

Always embrace your strengths and weaknesses, everyone has them. Always believe in yourself and what you're capable of doing. Wake up every morning and smile in the mirror, you're absoluetly beautiful inside and out, let the world see. Take this time to explore life, take leaps of faiths on new things, dont be scared or let fear paralyze you, for you won't always get second chances. Dont let others opinions or thoughts change you or your goals, for they dont have to deal with the possible outcomes. Remember everything happens for a reason. Life will happen, it will hurt sometimes, but itll also leave you smiling, youll make mistakes, but just try not to make them twice, learn valuable lessons the first time. Realize you'll fall down, but know you have more strength than most...just get up, brush yourself off and continue forward. Don't be your own worst enemy and stop yourself from what you are meant for. Everything is in the end will be ok, but you mustnt ever give up on yourself, who you are, what you stand for, or what you want out of life. This is YOUR life, live it.

Advice I would give to graduating high school seniors would be to fill out scholarships. College is expensive, you need all the scholarships you can get to pay for college. When you go to college you will have a lot more freedom then you did in high school. Some mistakes freshmen make when they start college is they take advantage of the freedom they are given by studying less, partying/hanging out with friends more. Don't take advantage of the freedom because you will fall behind on grades & eventually not be able to bring them up. College is a completely different than high school. Get involved early on by joining different clubs and organizations, do not be afraind to make friends that you wouldn't normally be friends with. You would be surprised who you can come friends with at college. College is where you can meet some of the best friends of your life. College is where you find yourself and are able to become more independent. It's okay if you don't know what you want to do with the rest of your life and it is perfectly fine if you change major once or more.

Finding the right college is one of the hardest things to accomplish. As a campus tour guide I suggest that students and parents visit their college choices more than once. The first time a student is exposed to a univeristy the visit is a blur. Your tour guide will take you around, show you all the major buildigs and sometimes explain activites and general detail about the major of intrest. What most students do not do is return for a second visit. That second visit will allow you to jog your memory about what your tour guide told you and help make you more comfortable with your surroundings. No one universisty is made for everybody. As cliche as it sounds, you will know just by the feeling in your stomach if the university you are at is right. The one and only way to make the most of any univeristy is to get involved! Whether your univeristy has 1000 students or 50,000, getting involved in a student organiztion will help make your univertisty feel small, personal, and like your new home. Take your time with your decison, start early, and don't rush yourself. Good Luck!

From elementary school all the way to my Junior year of high school, I was actively involved in extracurricular activities. However, I decided to drop quite a few of those activities my senior year to lighten my workload. One of the biggest mistakes I made was not completing my last year of Speech and Debate. I learned valuable life-skills throughout my time in the program, and I always wonder what more I could have gained from one more year of being involved. Knowing this, I would give my high school self quite a few tips. The first would be to stay involved in as many extracurricular activities as possible, as they helped shape me into who I am today. Secondly, I would talk myself into saving money throughout high school. I am working thirty-six hours a week and attending school full time at the moment, and I still find it hard to keep up with my bills. Lastly, I would tell my high school self to be slightly more competitive and confident when it comes to academics. The job market is a competitive field, and you need to be confident in your abilities in order to succeed.

I would tell myself to get involved the second that I got on campus. When I first got to Kent State I was a little afraid to get involved because I wanted to do well in school, and I was already involved in a volunteer program in Kent. I did slowly get involved, I joined the sorority Delta Gamma, I joined Psychology Club, and I am planning on joining the honors fraternity. I would tell myself to get involved right from the beginning of fall semester, and not to wait. I feel like even waiting just the couple months that I did, I missed out on some great opportunities. For me, getting involved has actually helped me do well in school. It has engaged my interest in college in general, and spiked my pasion for education. College can teach students so much more than just what is taught in the classroom. Getting involved can teach students time management, relationship skills, the importance of charity work, and more. So, if I got the opportunity to talk to myself as a senior, I would give the advice to get involved in as much as possible as soon as I stepped on campus.

A college experience is something that everyone should be able to acquire during a lifetime. My college experience has been refreshing and inspiring. Over the last couple of years I have learned what type of person I am as well as what I can become while taking different courses and meeting numerous professors and friends. I would not trade my time spent for anything, my experience has been invaluable. More than just book knowledge has been processed through my mind. College is more then exams and high marks, half of the battle is just showing up. Professors are more then intructors, they can become friends that one can learn from. I have found out that life is not just about which job one can possess, but what type of person I conduct myself to be. College has expanded my horizons from a strict way of thinking to that of a true liberal arts mindset. If I would have neglected my attendence I surely would have missed out on greatness. College is a chance to change for better or worse; a premier opportunity to grow and mature into a well-rounded, intellectual individual.

When i first came to college I wanted to study psychology, but was not sure what I wanted to do with the major. In my first year at Kent State University I was able to experience a new program at Kent called Pay It Forward. The class was a Social Problems class and it really helped jump start an idea for a career path. We worked with an organization Townhall II, and held a clothing drive to help crime victims. After working with this organizaiton I realized it was really interesting and I could definatly keep volunteering or even work there. Then my second year at Kent State I took a Intro to Justice Studies class and it was definatly something I was interested in. My teacher and counselor helped me to decide to double major in Psychology and Criminal Justice. I'm not 100% set on a exact career but both psychology and justice studies are my intereset. It was amazing that within the first two years at Kent State I have already gotton so much out of my college experience. I value these two classes in college so very much because they steered me into my career path.

As a high school senior, I thought everything falls into place once you enter college. I thought I would make lifelong friends with my neighbor in the dorm, and starting over with a new GPA would somehow make tests easier. However, once arriving, I realized college is much more than good luck and a little studying. Be proactive. College is about working hard, very hard, all four years for the things you want. This doesn't stop at an impressive GPA. Healthy relationships, good grades, personal achievements, and finding guidance all take time and effort on your part as well. While it is possible to make lifelong friends, you have to take the initiative to go out and find those people by getting involved. Achieving your ideal GPA is possible if you take advantage of the resources made available by the university. It's all about how you choose to utilize the free time you have when all you really want to do is sleep. While sometimes it seems fate plays a big role in how life turns out, hard work, determination and being proactive are truly the keys to four successful years.

You're graduating within the next couple months, not that I have to remind you of that--You are well aware considering it is all you think about. You think that leaving high school means leaving behind the people that judged you for every little aspect of your life, or that all the rules are suddenly gone and you have absolute freedom, and your biggest mistake is assuming that just because you are moving on to college means that the boy that broke your heart will no longer be relevant. This is the last thing you want to hear as a senior in high school getting ready to graduate but someone has to tell you--High school NEVER ends. Everything you had to put up with in high school, you will continue to affect you in college, in your future career and beyond. You have to accept it. The difference is made with how you handle it. Worry about yourself instead of others and it will make the change you've been yearning for. Stand up for YOURSELF. Be healthy, study hard, be vulnerable, do what YOU enjoy-- for YOURSELF. Most importantly, smile and be brave. You deserve it.

In high school i was not the most academically driven student. My teachers were confident in my abilities, but my agenda was to be as socail as possible. My mother constantly stressed how important education was and that i should take advantage of what a great school system i was attending. I use to never take high school seriously and it ended up hurting me in the end. If i were to give my highschool senior self advice, I would tell him to apply for scholarships. I would say to never lose sight of what is important and that education is a key to a successful future. Highschool is only the beginning of your adult life. What ever you do academically you should give it your all one hundred percent of the time and that you should listen to the people who want to see you succeed, like your family. You should never stop moving forward, always walk around with a right mind and remember that going to college will lead you to a brighter and happier future. Finally I would say ou have no limits too your potential if you study hard and dedicate yourself you will go far.