Kent State University at Kent Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Kent State University at Kent

Akhil

I think it's a pretty well rounded school. There is a lot to do but you have to want to get involved and be a part of the college community. I had a lot of fun. I think the key is to make sure you try to get involved early on when you're a freshman. Make as many friends as you can, be open minded about meeting new people and trying new things, and stay positive and optimistic!

nicole

The advisors are always helpful even if its not in the majors they cover which is super helpful if you're undecided or looking to change your major, they also look for the best and fastest way for you to complete your degree. There are so many different majors to pick from and there's something doe everyone.

Autumn

I love the environment at Kent state. I've met a lot of other new students , sophomores and juniors and everyone was so easy to get along with and talk to. I felt really comfortable when I visited Kent state, I've met my roommate and she's great. Its like we're twins , Kent state is very diverse and all my classes are new my dorm building . I cant wait to fully attend Kent State University.

John

After being at Kent State University for a couple months now, I find that I very much like being a student here and I enjoy the community that is within the campus. The shops around campus are also very friendly and I would encourage anyone to visit them if they ever find themselves in Kent!

Kent State prides itself on being one of the safest campuses in Ohio, yet many students voice security concerns to administration and law enforcement only for us to be told there are no credible threats. The place I lived on campus for two years constantly had safety concerns and to my knowledge, nothing has been done still. Resident Services, while nice will be of no help to you when you need them. If you have a specialized diet like me? Well, our inclusive dining hall on campus is only open 5 days a week and they close early on Fridays. You could go to the one station in the biggest dining hall on campus but they only serve one option for meals, whereas all of your other friends can enjoy whatever they please. Academically, I've had many teachers who want to help me succeed, and some who really couldn't care. The adjuncts they hire for their "real-world experience" shouldn't be teachers and has made me consider dropping the program altogether. I've had many amazing opportunities through my extracurriculars at Kent State, and I'm very thankful that I can do such cool things through them. Regardless of whatever the university may throw at the people that pay to keep it running, if it wasn't for the opportunities I get to take advantage of through clubs I probably would have pursued other career options a long time ago.

Brooke

My overall opinion of Kent State University at Kent is that is a terrific school. There are many ways in which it isn't perfect, but I believe Kent State University is much better than many other schools I had the option of attending. It is a very safe place on campus, it has a great downtown scene, and the school involves students in many creative activities throughout the year.

Brian

Kent State is an up and coming, large, Mid-American Conference school that has yet to peak. Tuition can't be beat and paired with new facilities being built every year Kent is a great school to spend undergraduate studies at. The school undeservedly has somewhat of a bad reputation, but once you look past that you will be surprised what you find.

Gina

I just finished my first year at Kent State and it was the best experience. I cannot express how much I loved my first year, from all the amazing people I have met or the great experiences I have had. I highly recommend coming to Kent State because I cannot wait until I am back on campus!

Sydney

Kent is a great public school for those who live nearby. Personally, I am from New Jersey and it was just an inconvenience. Also, the fashion program is really good for those who know nothing about drawing, sewing, etc, but for me it was too easy and I got a 4.0 in the first two semesters. I am transferring to the New School so I can be challenged more than I was in​ Kent. The overall experience was great, however!

Annalea

A wonderful school that needs some work in some areas, but overall wonderful. The food quality is alright, however it does leave a bit to be desired. There are plenty of amazing classes and opportunities for things like study abroad and volunteering. It’s also a wonderful school for transfer students, which I am. They have provided nothing but support for me during my transfer process. Five stars.

I am extremely happy with the resources, campus and extracurricular resources at Kent State University. From the Open House Orientation, I knew that this school was created and continues to be managed to help each an every student succeed. As an athlete, it was important for me to find a school that I knew had a good reputation for athletics, would integrate well into the team and provide growth opportunities. But more important to me was a school that I could be academically successful in and graduate from with pride. The resources that Kent provides to the Freshman are matched by no other college that I visited, and it just seemed to me that every single program they implement is to help us succeed. I want to be a part of a school that believes in me, provides every opportunity for me to succeed and is with me for guidance and assistance when I need it. Kent has it all!! Plus, it is a beautiful campus, and the food is pretty good. I cannot wait to start my college years as a proud student of Kent State University!

Jayla

Kent is a good school! it has good dorm rooms and campus housing. most dorms have air conditioning except for a select few. the food on campus is also pretty good. There is even a healthy/vegan dining hall available. overall I have had an ok experience at kent the people are a little different but its cool

Samuel

Kent State University is like my second home. There are always activities going on for all on-campus and off-campus students to participate in. Along with a wide range in diversity of activities, we also have a very diverse culture here at Kent State. No matter what you are into, there will be a group of people just like you who are into the same thing. Kent state have many notable programs such as architecture, business, aeronautics, engineering, and so on. If I could go back and have the chance to pick another college, I would choose Kent State every time. The classes are great, the professors are always there to help you, and there are always smiling faces around you as you walk through campus. I've been a golden flash for a year now and I can easily say that this is the college for me.

T

If it wasn't for my friends I had made, I would have left. A total of 10 of the degrees is all the university seems to care about. Aside for professors and academic advisors, anybody higher up at the university, aside for President Warren seem to not care about the student body. There is a lot to do and get involved in, as I had been a member of Greek life, intramural, attending athletic events, Hall council, and have worked on campus. Students are typically welcoming which is great, and we have a decent diversity within the university. There have been several incidences that has made campus not the safest. With everything being said, I truly feel I have wasted 4 years of education, money, and time at this university. I love my friends, but that is the only thing I feel has been a true positive with my time at Kent. If you think about Kent Sr ate, and not want to come for the degrees they are known for, I recommend looking elsewhere as the education and tradition isn't the focus on those running the university.

Allison

It is a very nice place to go to college. It feels like a college campus, not a college stuck in the middle of a city. There is always activities to do everyday, and you get points for going to them. I have never felt unsafe on campus and i regularly walk by myself at night. It is a great campus with teachers who actually care about what they're teaching. Yes at times i feel like i am being robbed because of how much im paying for college here, but i love it.

As a graduate student and part-time assistant instructor at Kent State, I feel proud to say I am surrounded by intellectual, engaged, motivated students who strive to create a unified front for the common good. I have witnessed students grow as a collective group and as individual future professionals both in and outside the classroom. Not only has the campus and student body grown academically, but also the surrounding area. Being a commuting student, I have witnessed the downtown area prosper financially and as a community. The environment and atmosphere surrounding Kent and the campus have expanded far beyond the educational realm, and it is exciting to imagine the possibilities for this school's future.

niah

Kent State definitely has a great education system. Especially for freshman, there are so many people and organizations that try to accommodate every student. Whether it's tutoring or events that they hold, I think they've developed a great structure that provides a balance for education and recreation for the students.

Amber

I loved Kent state (and am attempting to return) . The campus offered a variety of food choices and I felt quite safe on campus. My teachers were helpful. Some of the classes can be large, especially those pre requisite classes like Introduction to Psychology (mine was 450 people) but after a few of those classes almost all mine were under 100, by my Junior year I was attending class with only a few dozen people. People in class were friendly and offered to help if you had any trouble understanding. Many times we set up our own study groups. There were almost always fun little things to do for cheap/free like see movies on campus, do crafts, join clubs. I felt at home and met some of my best friends.

I love Kent State! I have met some amazing people here. These people have helped me grow as an individual as well as academically. There are so many opportunities that are open for the students to help them become the best version of themselves. I am truly passionate about my school.

mirada

Kent state is a beautiful school! the campus is pristine and they always keep it tidy and updated with new buildings. The class sizes may be big sometimes, but all the professors offer office hours which is so helpful. Also students usually organize study groups for outside of class time. I am beyond excited to be attending this university next year!

Joshua

I really like the feel of the campus and the facilities are really modern and clean. It allows for a good place to learn, study, and live while you are at Kent. The students are very nice and treat everybody like a friend. You will not ever go anywhere where there is no one to help you find a building or answer a question. Although I have just visited there, I have met with a professor and he talked about what my classes would be like if I were to go there and seeing my schedule planned out helped me envision my future college life at Kent State University.

Takia

Kent has now become family. Fellow schoolmates and also the people of the community are very welcoming. If you are ever worried about studying away from home, Kent is the place to be. A small town with safe surroundings, good people and good atmosphere. The food is ok, but that's up to personal preference. Overall, the good definitely outways the bad and I wouldn't consider going anywhere else.

Kayliegh

I love it here at Kent! The atmosphere is always inviting and theres always something to do. There are festivals and other activities to partake in at various times throughout the year whether it be on campus or down town. If you venture into town you will find small shops, a theater, and tons of restaurants! The food on campus is pretty good and will meet the needs for everyone ranging from the average food junky to a health fanatic. Almost all the dorms have been remodeled and have air conditioning. Overall its a great place to live with a great atmosphere, good housing, and professors who are always willing to listen and help you when needed.

Kent State was a beautiful place that I instantly fell in love with. I visited for Golden Flash Day and the drive down was not too far. That was an extra added bonus. During the visited, my mom and I were given food to eat from their new meal plan. We visited the professors and the dorms. I was impressed how such a large school felt like a small community.

Crystene

I have chosen to attend Kent State University, in Kent Ohio. With the help of my mother, she made sure that we visited every college that I was interested in attending, to see if I felt that this is the right place for me to grow and learn. What I found at Kent State University, was their strengths and respect for both of the fields I will be pursing, and what it was they could offer me as a student which is something that I did not find at the other universities. Kent State is the only university that showed me how it was possible for me to pursue both my criminal justice degree with concentration in policing and drawing at the same time. They were encouraging, showing me everything that they had to offer. When I was talking with the criminal justice department, they asked me what was it that I wanted to do, and were there other things that interest me. I let them know about my passion for drawing, but my dream is being a police officer. They spoked highly of the art department, and both departments made sure that I knew of all the possibilities that both my criminal justice and art degree together could work so I can achieve my goal. They are the ones who said that I could use my passion for drawing and possibly use it in my policing career

Reita

I feel very positively towards KSU. It has been one of the best choices I've made. I haven't seen many colleges offer the dual Masters in Business Administration and Masters in Communication Studies so it's a very unique opportunity to be a part of this new program.

Anna

I love being a student at Kent State University! I feel safe, happy, and I am really enjoying the education I am receiving. As soon as I stepped foot onto Kent's campus for a tour of the university, I knew it was the place for me. I have met some of my best friends here, and thinking about graduating in 2018 makes me extremely sad.

Laurel

Kent State University is exactly the kind of institution of higher education I always dreamed of attending since I was a kid. The students are as eager to learn as the professors are to teach. The breadth of knowledge that is shared and put into practice on this campus is as beautiful as the campus itself. I transferred here from another university, and I can say that the pride our student body holds in our involvement and achievement in academics should be a model for other institutions. We are continuously motivated to think critically and innovatively as well encouraged to always be champions of social justice domestically and abroad. Our beloved President of the university embodies the core values of our school and serves as inspiration to always be a great person and do great things in the world. Choosing Kent State was the best and most rewarding decision I've made in my life.

saffron

I was at first nervous to go away and go to college, but as soon as I arrived at Kent State I immediately felt at home and that there was a place for everyone. It is a school that cares about your academics very much and about ones own success. I believe it is an amazing school with opportunities in many aspects and for people interested in most majors.

Its a great college. You will get a good education. Everyone is very friendly and extremely outgoing at Kent State. My academic advisor has been amazing. She has really made me feel welcomed at Kent State and has gone out of her way to help me when I have needed help with anything, My experience at Kent State has been a good one.

John

Kent State University’s public health program has remained prominently as one of the best research public health programs in the nation, mostly due to the school’s accomplishments and interests. In particular, the school’s innovative collaboration between the College of Public Health and local health departments through the Office of Public Health Practice & Partnerships (OPHPP). As a member of this program I have received opportunities to explore research beyond my scope. Kent State University became my first choice to complete my degree in Public Health because the university has received accreditation from the Board of Councilors of the Council on Education for Public Health. Under this accreditation, the school is held to higher regards versus a non-accredited school and this was very appealing to me. Attending Kent State University has provided me with an intriguing online curriculum and research setting.

jayda

Kent State University is a home away from home. I love the atmosphere and the kindness people have with one another. The campus is always lively and beautiful. Kent State to offers many different majors and minors to give students a diversity of careers. Kent State is a campus I am proud to be attending .

Leasia

I have been at kent state for one year. It is a beautiful campus. It is very big, which I enjoy because I don't feel suffocated and everything is in walking distance. Academics: My academic experience has been good so far. Professors have been very understanding. They have office hours and encourage students to attend them and try to give as much help as they can. They don't want you to fail you just have to be willing to work. Food: There a lot of different options for food. There is even one place on campus that is open 24 hours. We have a gluten free dining hall. There are also places to eat healthily and get warm meals that are as close to home cooked as it gets. A lot of different options. Activities: There are a lot of clubs at kent. But it's difficult to know about them and when their events are. It makes getting involved a little more difficult. Make sure to check out bulletin boards for club meetings and to follow clubs you're interested in on social media. Dorm Life: you're sharing a room with another person, it isn't grand. The standard dorms are you with a roommate and 2 big bathrooms on the floor and inside are private pod rooms. This is nice because it's not like a gym shower it's more private though you have to share it with others. I've never had major issues with being able to find a bathroom when I needed, I just learned when they were going to be the busiest and adjusted. More luxury dorms have a bathroom you share only with your roommate or the room next to you. There are 3 dorms on campus that are kind of like apartments where you get your own room and a living room. Engleman is like an apartment building with a kitchen in each room and everything, but it's more expensive than living off campus and you still have to abide by dorm hall rules. The most popular option are the centennials.

Breana

Being completely honest, it was not my first choice when choosing when choosing where to go, but I do not regret this choice. There are always things to do around campus, and so many different options if you are looking to join a student organization. Most of all, the faculty and staff put their students' best interest first, and encourage them to pursue their purpose.

NATALIE

It is a large campus with a small feel. The culture and location is accessible. The faculty is available and registration is a breeze . The campus offers many diverse extra curricular activities for any need. There is a Greek life on campus that was recently renovated. The community feel for getting involved in the campus sports is strong.

Maggie

Really good school overall. Campus is a bit too big in my opinion (lots of walking). I live on campus, it makes me feel a bit trapped at times(did not bring a car). The academics are great. The facilities are pretty nice. Overall a pretty positive environment. I can't imagine myself going anywhere else.

Natali

From what I have seen while there, the atmosphere is really nice and so are the people and staff. Pretty much everything is renovated and really nice and clean. When I was in the residence halls, the majority of them have air conditioning. The food options are great whether you want to sit down with friends or grab something to go. Overall a very good school if you're looking for a both good academics and a fun campus life.

Bre'ae

Kent State University is an overall good institution, no matter what preferred major you chose. Campus life is very welcoming, students seem to be comfortable and mannerly. The academics are effective, they give the students the resources they need to be successful.

EDWARD

As a Sophomore going on to my junior year at Kent State University I think I have gained enough experience to have formed an informed opinion on Kent State to be able to review it.The professors want you to succeed. All of the professors I have had put their notes on blackboard. So, if I miss a core thing it will be on blackboard. This is very helpful when it comes time for studying. All of the teachers I've had put their assignment due dates in their syllabus this allows you as a student know when assignments are due. If you’re having trouble with an assignment just email your professor, though you should add a screenshot of the problem Kent State has a lot of activities for students to be involved with: sports, Greek life, and student clubs and programs, to name a few. In my degree program we have a student led program called Kent Tv2. Kent Tv2 is a news-station with tons of positions. Kent Tv2 is open to freshman, which was one of the reasons I went to Kent State. There are resources to help students with their studies. If you need help with a paper go to the Writing Commons at Kent State Library. The writing Commons can help you with your thesis statement, and editing your paper. The Kent State library has many tools to help you with your projects like printers, and headphones. If you’re an incoming freshman chose tri towers as your dorm, because it’s close to food. Plus the tri towers have a gym, and a laundromat. Kent State University is a great college especially if you get involved in activities.

Marieliz

I love it at Kent State University. Campus is BEAUTIFUL and I felt super safe. The professors were always there to help you with whatever your need. Some of my classes were of a decent size where everyone in the class knew each other's names. My classmates were welcoming and very friendly.

Abbey

I think Kent State is a very underrated college. The campus is beautiful and the Nursing program is on of the best. People are generally friendly across the campus. The food can be improved as the dining hall food is not the best. Professors are willing to work with students which is very important.

Felicia

Kent State is a great school with various amounts of opportunities. It is in the administration's personal agenda to make sure everyone is included and having the best college experience. The professors all care about the students themselves. The only thing that could use a little work is the food.

Kara

The Fashion Design program is top-of-the-line and I have enjoyed every minute of attending KSU. I have had no problem getting involved in extracurriculars and clubs. The staff is friendly and there are so many loveable qualities about Kent State. My Fashion Advisors are very helpful and are always there to help answer any questions I have. Kent State encourages diversity, free speech, and individuality, making it a very accepting place for all students.

Tashiya

I love it! I've always wanted to be apart of this huge community since I was in grade school. This school id great, and the students/staff that attend are even more awesome. Everyone is so warm and welcoming. Going to Kent has been the best decision I have ever made in my life.

Tia

I love Kent State University! The campus is beautiful and safe. The surrounding area is also great and the academic side is just as good. There are great resources to use. Everyone that works for the university is friendly and helpful. There is a group or organization to benefit everyone. The food is good too.

Sheila

Kent State is an okay school. Not too much hatred for it. They spent more time renovating the school's exterior look and less time on the facilities already implemented. The course work was very vague for my major. I did not learn much overall in my major. Everything was pretty much self taught.

Ta'Layshah

I think that Kent State is an amazing college to attend. My program is in the top 5 of Ohio and growing. Being a student at Kent is a very humbling experience and makes you feel like you're at home. Even though we are a big campus, there are many activities and events available all over.

Cameron

Being an out of state resident, I never really had the chance to go see the campus until I already had been accepted. I have taken the online tour but, It doesn't do the campus any justice. Its very clean and well built. The people on campus are very friendly and will try to get you involved. The only things I would say I don't like is the commuter hours. You can't use meal plan between 11-2pm on the weekdays if you are not a commuter. Also, there is always road construction going on. All-year round.

Julia

Overall I really enjoy my time at Kent State. Most professors are very kind and helpful and make learning fun. I have made great friends and connections at this school. I can't say much for housing since I live at home, but many people love the off-campus apartments; I had a friend who lived in one and she liked it (just to her roommate so much). Lots of options for people who have dietary restrictions! I am vegetarian and always find good food to eat.

Peyton

Kent State supports a positive learning environment and allows students to grow into what they want to be. There is always something to do and plenty of places to eat on and off campus. All the faculty is friendly and the teachers are understanding.