Kent State University at Kent Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Kent State University at Kent

Alexa

Kent State is a smart choice if you are a liberal and also don't care spending a ton of money. I believe it is over priced however classes and professors are great. The food at Kent is not great and they are more so focused on healthy options and creating a Starbucks every ten feet on campus

Brandon

Kent works restlessly to continually improve the educational quality, exceptional staff, and eager students. I think class sizes could be a bit smaller to incorporate a more one-on-one experience, but I believe it is a fantastic university. I am a proud junior at Kent State.

LaKeshia

A beautiful, bustling campus with lively students and a dedicated, awesome faculty. You will get good grades if you apply yourself and have a lot of fun in the process. I loved my professors and courses. There is always something interesting to do in the realm of extracurriculars. The city is gorgeous. Another attracting point is seeing the black squirrels forage around campus. A great school with a whole lot to offer. Great tuition for the educational dollar.

Giovanna

So far at Kent I've had a wonderful experience. Or course there are some hiccups here and there but it has become my second home. It may not be a big city but with friends and knowledgeable professors the prospect of going to school has never been a dreadful notion. Through Kent I have been able to experience more than I could've imagined, from domestic to international I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here.

Lillian

I think that Kent State University at Kent is a wonderful place to go to school as long as you keep in mind that you are there to get an education, and not to party. There are plenty of oppurtunites to party, but you never feel pressured to do so. With it being such a large campus, and university there is honestly something for everyone. And you will find what you like, it just takes time.

Rebecca

I can't say I love my college, but there's not anything wrong with it. In some cases, the academics are disappointing and it can be difficult to find a place on campus. There is an overwhelming "party culture" on weekends. So if you don't drink, there's not that much to do. But the campus is pretty.

Carrigan

Kent is a very big campus, very spread out. The town of Kent is tiny and quaint. I lived in a dorm with a bathroom in the room so no one on my floor opened their doors or talked to each other. Dining hall food is average, sometimes good, sometimes bad.

Gevon

I feel that Kent State University at Kent is a wonderful, beautiful campus and I highly recommend students take interest in this school. The atmosphere is amazing. The food is good and there are plenty of choices to choose from. Myself I like the school and will consider completing all four years here and maybe more.

Madison

Kent State is located in a minuscule town, and there is very little to do on the weekends if you are not interested in going to the frats to party. Most people go home on the weekends because nearly everyone lives in Ohio. As an out of state student, I felt out of place.

Kayleigh

Kent State University is one of my favorite places to be. Of course leaving your home as well as your parents is absolutely terrifying, but at Kent you really do feel like you're right at home. There's so much to do and so many new people to meet and get to know. I am incredibly happy with my decision.

Thomas

I love going to Kent State University. It is a Division I school but I feel like it is honestly a small college. The food on campus is good which is always a plus. My dorm room is big and has a private bathroom. The professors are really nice and will help in any way the can. All and all, I am glad I decided to go to college at Kent.

Christian

I really love it here. I transferred here from CSU and have lived in the Kent area for years (running from HS to now). I always knew I should have gone to Kent in the first place, and was no doubt wrong about it. I love the culture, the accessibility and the options around campus.

Livia

I really enjoy being a student at Kent State. The academics are great as well as life outside of school. The academic advisers are incredible. I've had two since i've been here and they both have done everything they could to help me find the right major and get me on the right track. The overall environment is one of the reasons i fell in love with Kent State.

Hana

If I could describe Kent State University in one word, I would say that it is comfortable. The campus is not loud nor deserted. It feels like home in a way that school usually does not transmit. Food is within an easy walk (which is obviously the most important thing for a student). I'm never hungry with the meal plan. I love the atmosphere, the landscaping and the region. The professors are very kind and understanding most of the time. They are so unbelievably caring of my future and the steps I can take to get there, especially when I have no idea where to begin. Students are their priority, and they take notice to the kind of hectic life we have, too. Overall, Kent State makes me feel like I belong, without all the flashy "big"ness of a giant and overbearing university.

Chandler

Kent State University is a nice school the campus is great and safe. It’s very expensive but the housing and dining is really nice. It is a campus that everyone should check out. It is very involved with its students. I feel like they will help achieve what I want to achieve.

Karly

I loved my experience. I commuted from home, but Kent State was like my second home. I made many connections, and have decided to further my stay there for graduate school. It has a nice feel to it, and the squirrels are adorable too! The friends I made I know I will keep in contact with for a long time.

Christophina

My overall opinion of Kent State university is good and I am satisfied with the things around. It has great campus facilities,professors,resources etc. The students are devoted to making one another feel at home and wanted no matter where they ae from

Cheyenne

For me, Kent State University is the only college I can even consider attending. The campus atmosphere is friendly and inviting while also laid-back and not too hectic. I feel completely comfortable there, thanks to the amazingly helpful faculty and residents. I cannot wait to move in and complete my education there.

Caroline

I personally love Kent State University. As a senior in high school, I was unsure of where I wanted to go and therefore was not positive how much fun it would be to go anywhere really. However, Kent is a place that has a home-feel and they do their best to be as inclusive as possible whenever they can. The food options are phenomenal too!

Jordin

Kent State overall is a nice college with a great atmosphere. Kent does a great job at making sure all students feel included regardless of their background and identity. There are many organizations that students can take part in and Kent has an event at the beginning of the year with all the organizations there together to make sure all students including new ones can join. Kent State is a college that feels like a home away from home and it's a great place for students to get their education.

Caleb

Kent is a great school. It largely provides everything you would want in a school. With such a diverse student body, you definitely grow as a person after your first year. You may also have a new perspective on things in life. Of course there is tons of fun events to attend and things to do, all the while you will be getting a solid education. And you will be surrounded by people pushing you to do what you really want and also graduate on time. Some people may say this is a big campus, but I think it is just the right size. You never feel cramped and you will never feel lost and like you are just another number.

Madeleine

Overall, Kent State University at Kent is a great university to attend. They know how to make it a home away from home and make you feel comfortable. Especially if this is someones first time being away from home for a lengthy amount of time. They have plenty of activities on campus and find ways to get students involved. Almost every faculty member wants to be involved in the students lives so they can have new activities for what the students like. Kent State makes you feel very safe and will do anything to make sure their students are safe.

Tammy

My overall opinion is that the professors and support staff are there to support you in your educational journey and beyond. I have had wonderful experience in my classes on campus and online. I have been presented with additional opportunities outside of class such as a globalization study and adding an endorsement to my teaching license. Thanks to my committed teachers and mentors!

Kent State has become my second home. I love going to class and I truly feel like I'm learning something new everyday. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved and amazing campus resources. There is always someone there to help you get what you need, no matter what.

Darian

Overall I would say Kent is a very accepting and social college campus. It is on the student themselves to get involved on campus, but Kent offers so many clubs, extra curricular activities, and amazing facilities for the students. It has one of nicest gyms I've seen on a college campus, and the sporting events are pretty big on campus, especially the boys basketball team. So far I have had an amazing experience and I have met life long friends.

Latrice

Kent State University is a good school. There is a great deal of new buildings being constructed and there's a lot of green space unlike some universities that are in the city. From my experience (I'm a senior) ACADEMIC AMENITIES Professors are pretty good at keeping office hours and some even will meet with you at other times not stated in their office hours. The cirruculum is good and the classes aren't too difficult and there is tutoring offered for many courses in the library. There are also computer labs that are available in the library 24/7 to students. FOOD The food on campus isn't that good, but it isn't horrible either - I'd say 3 out of 5 stars. However you can only use a meal plan at certain times and if you don't have a meal plan the food is kind of expensive in my option it's not worth it for just okay food. It's pretty easy to take a bus to front campus though and get chipotle or you can order pizza and there's some other fast food restaurants too. HOUSING The dorms aren't great - they're a bit dated, but the atmosphere of students is pretty awesome there are always new friends to be made and most people just leave their doors open so they can communicate with people passing by. Off campus living that is close to the university is super expensive, so unless you have a lot of roommates you'll be paying a ton for an apartment. INFRASTRUCTURE As far as parking and infrastructure, the parking passes are pretty expensive and it's on a seniority basis, so it your a freshman or sophomore you pretty much get screwed with parking passes and have to park miles away from campus. But there are busses that will take you from any of the parking lots to campus, which is fine in the fall, spring and summer but in the winter it's FREEZING waiting for the bus! Also if there's road work being done you can kiss being on time to class goodbye unless you leave at least 25 minutes earlier than you would usually leave. STUDENT LIFE There are so many clubs and fraternities/sororities to join and be a part of, and the majority of the students are super friendly and open to making new friends. SAFTEY The campus is safe and there are emergency poles all over so if anything ever happens it is close by. There are also a lot of campus police that cruise around, and if a crime ever happens or any important news we receive flash alerts through text and email that let us know what is going on. These alerts also apply to weather updates, class cancellations, and electrical/water issues. Kent has its perks and it's downfalls, but overall it's a pretty good school.

Alexis

Overall, it's a pretty good experience being there. I really do enjoy the classes for my career, however, I do wish that I could have more classes that focus more on my career, rather than having to classes that are only meant for the sake of getting a degree.

Natalie

I love Kent State. I have had nothing but positive experiences here. The campus is pretty large, but there are a lot of classes available, the scene is very nice, the library is AMAZING. The Psychology program here is thorough and I am enjoying it a lot.

Alisia

I love the diversity of my school and there's always something to do on campus. The population is very friendly, you just have to get out your shell and and mingle. There's always room for improvement, but I see progress everyday here at Kent State University

Catrina

My overall opinion about Kent State is that it's somewhere I feel like I'm a part of and a place I belong. I appreciate the diversity on campus with both the people there and the ranges of classes that they have. They have one of the best Fashion programs in the United States and one of the highest-rated medical programs. I appreciate everything on campus, from the puppies that walk around campus to the lovely range of dining choices.

Larissa

I think it's a great school. I've enjoyed my time here and can't wait to see what the next few years bring. They are always improving buildings which is nice. Too many Starbucks on campus, money could be used for something else. Wish they wouldn't change the meal plan, most students do not want swipes yet they are still changing to swipes.

Alexis

The last four months I've experienced as a college freshman have truly been influential. I use to only perceive school as pressuring and time demanding until I experienced Kent State University. College at first can be really frustrating compared to the work they give you in high school, but early on you learn to self manage. This doesn't only correspond to school work, but your lifestyle as well. When choosing to attend Kent State this meant I'd be leaving my friends and family who lived 3 hours away giving me the traditional college start. I'm not going to say the move was easy and that making friends was even easier because it's not. But college allows you to really find out who you are as an individual and to make connections with people like you. College has been an amazing experience and has given me so many opportunities grade school could not offer. If you are ever conflictual about choosing to attend Kent State research what you're interested in and really explore your opportunities!

Allyson

Kent State University is not only high-ranking within the state of Ohio, but is also nationally acclaimed. Almost anyone can find their niche there— from athletics to geeks, and everything in between. The campus feels very safe, and if you don't feel safe: campus police is always available and you can also request an escort at night. On top of that, the campus has a plethora of Starbucks locations!

Allison

Kent is the place where I feel free to be myself unapologetically. The programs I'm apart of (band and orchestra) make me want to work to better myself. The friends I am making here are changing me for the better, and I am making the mot wonderful experiences here at Kent State!

DeAsia

Kent State University is a wonderful school with great opportunities for students pursuing different degrees. With some of its top programs ranging from Nursing to Fashion all intwining. We are able to partake in organizations and activities that we feel best suit us as individuals and develop ourselves as leaders for our communities.

Dominique

I think that Kent State is a good place to go to college. One reason was the location. Its not hidden anywhere or out in the middle of nowhere. But it also isn't overly expensive besides housing and meal plans. Those would also be the biggest problems because they keep fluctuating the prices on house to even higher rates this upcoming academic year (2019-2020). Also the meal plans for freshman and sophomores are forced to two of the highest plans if you decide to live on campus which if you don't eat a lot will be a lot of wasted money.

I love Kent State. Coming to college from a very small town, all the way across the state, I was very nervous. Kent has made me feel at home every second that I am there. I am never afraid to talk to my teachers, and they are always there to want the best for the students. Other faculty members are there when you are struggling or just having a bad day. The students at Kent are like one big community. You can not go one day without meeting someone new that impacts your life completely. I am so thankful that I went to such an amazing school such as Kent State University.

RayLyn

Kent State is a school that welcomes everyone! There’s always events and people are warm and inviting. If you want a place that accepts you for you and will give you a positive college experience, become a Flash! Kent has a saying that always hold true, “Flashes take care of Flashes!”

Kirsten

It is a great campus with a lot of opportunity. There are always activities to participate in and we have some really cool events. An example of an event is every year for fall and spring the school hires a performer to have a concert for us. There are a lot of resources and academics are amazing.

sami

I think that Kent State is a great place to want to go to further your education and expand your friends. The campus is really nice and always really well maintained and you rarely see garbage laying around the grass or anywhere else on the campus. They also have a really nice library and have a lot of space and benches for students to sit outside and get fresh air while doing homework.

Amelia

I think Kent state has an amazing academic program but can be bad at promoting activities that are happening in campus. I also don’t think the have many options at the dining halls. They have pizza and fries must days and not many nutritious food choices.

Isabella

Kent State University at Kent is a wonderful establishment. It has many different clubs and organizations to join in. It provides students with many great opportunities in pursuing their careers. It is a very safe school, and it has a nice scenery. I am excited to go to Kent State University at Kent in the fall!

Josh

I enjoy go to Kent State is a really nice college. I especially like how many religious groups they have. It definitely has an opened mind the all walks of life. I do how ever don't think that the school help all the much with helping me pick my major from undecided, but still Kent State is a nice school to go to.

I love it! It is my home away from home! My classes are very interesting and fun! There are only a few things that could change but other than that, it’s a wonderful school! It is known for it’s fashion and nursing programs! The psychology program is also very good! The advisors really care for their students!

Scott

The university is very welcoming. The atmosphere is always inviting and there is no shortage of people to lend a helping hand. The food on campus is great-if not a little overpriced (what do you expect, its Kent.) The professors range from charming involved persons to slightly disconnected from the students, but all seem fair and objective. The housing is a bit finneky with first year students required to buy a meal plan along with housing and constant demand for new students wanting to live in the dorms. So long as students apply in time though things shouldn't be too difficult. Busing is a bit of a hassle with parking permits preventing easy access to the campus on foot, however cycling makes getting around very easy (with Kent even offering rentable bikes called flasshfleet) The campus is inclusive and no matter your walk of life people are just generally kind and accepting. The classes seem average and the professors respectable. Honestly despite its small headaches it is still a fine institution and i'm happy to be learning in such a great enviroment.

kaitlin

Overall I believe that Kent state is a great school that offers an affordable price for good schooling. Kent state has a lot of cute shops and places to shop and eat. The downtown Kent environment creates a comfortable atmosphere that helps keep everyone feeling safe and protected.

Khayla

I visited a couple of colleges looking for the right fit for me and a university of just the right size, sport activities and extracurricular activities. I needed to feel safe while on campus and able to enter act with students and teachers. I found all this with Kent. They have so many resources to help you get acclimated to the school such as an app to help find a room mate, books and other campus needs. The surrounding town is cute has that college vibe and atmosphere. It has the same stores I find at home. And my family is just as excited about the school as I am.

Kayleen

Kent State University is a large beautiful campus, very well landscaped with big buildings. The university is always improving . There is a lot of parking space and there are KSU officers available on campus most of the times. The staff members are friendly and so are the students.

Ciara

My overall opinion of Kent State University is very good. The campus is not so far from Cleveland, Canton, and Akron and there are many places to go within walking distance. I am actually considering Kent State as my college choice because the people there are really friendly and helpful and it seems like I would have a great college experience here at Kent State.

It's an okay school, but the students' opinions on faculty and campus living is often ignored, leading to teachers who are ineffective at actually teaching staying in positions for longer than they should. Other than that, the campus isn't bad, and the facilities of the school are mediocre.