New Philadelphia, OH
Kent State University at Tuscarawas

Extracurricular Activities

Nearby Shops and Services

Marija

I love the atmosphere at Kent Tuscarawas. Everyone is so friendly, just a simple hello can put a smile on anyones face and that is the kind of atmosphere here at Kent. I love that everyone knows everyone by name because we are not a very large campus. I also love that you make friends so easily. The friends you make at Kent are the ones that are going to last a lifetime. If I had to describe my classmates in one word, it would have to be amazing. Some of the sweetest people!

What is so unique about my school is that we are a small college. We have juniors in high school to just about any age that falls after that. I love going into my classroom and seeing older follks having the courage and determination to come back to school to earn their degree or finish because you can tell how important it is to them. They teach me while I teach them. It's great. Plus I am 5 minutes away from home which makes going to Kent so much more enjoyable.

When I went through high school I was very involved in my class. I was very involved in sports & also with my church and I worked. It wasn't always easy but I have almost made it through my first year. I need to anage time better. I work a full time job at Lauren Manufacturing as the accounts receiveable intern and go to school full time. It isn't easy but I love the people I work with. I would also tell mysef to make more friends. Going through high school I was friendly with everyone but I kept my circle of friends close. I have just about every religion, race, ethnicity, weirdness of friends you can imagine. I had parents who were very strict with us children growing up. Being the third out of four children money is aways a struggle. I would go back to high school and apply for more scholarhsips. College isn't cheap, and to me and education is super important. Everyone bit of money counts. My one goal I have told myself since day one is that I do not want to go in debt, and that is something I won't do.

Gwendolyn

My school is motivating and accademically challenging, they strive to help you achieve your full potentia,l refuse to let you produce mediocre work, most of them are Alumni of the school themselves, so they strive for excellence, they motivate you to excel and reach for the stars, then once you have succeded give back to others and the community.

The first thing i would do is counsel myself on the importance of the stept i am about to take. The choices and decisions i make are going to affect me the rest of my life. I can make it memorable and productive or i can waste someones hard earned money. This is a major step into adulthood, and facing and accepting responsibilities. I am to realize and understand that i will encounter distractions and pier pressure, but to stay focused and keep my mind on the goal. That i will have to exercise discipline and get my assignments on time because i am no longer in high school and will be treated as an adult. I am to strive to be a leader and not follower, to give my full attention to making the best grades possible. The work i do and grades i achieve will help me get the job i have worked to obtain.

The type of person that should not attend this school is one that is not dedicated about getting a degree, or they are going to let their social life interfere in obtaining their goal. It is not for them if not willing to make sacrifices. One that is not consisient in getting homework in when schduled. It is not for them if they are not computer literate, and used to moving at a an acceleratrd pace. They should reconsider if they are not familiar with APA format and consistently writing essays.

Cassandra

Most likely the setting and price. It is a rural setting and it isn't too expensive for most people.

I would tell myself all about how college classes work, how much time will need to be spent, and maybe give myself a crash course in time management. Many students go into college thinking it will be exactly like high school and it is not at all. College courses generally have less small homework grades and more tests and high point papers. Most of the course grade is based on test and paper scores, so getting one bad grade can seriously hurt the overall grade for the class. Whereas, in high school there are multiple opportunities to recover a bad test score with high scores on homework and small projects. Most college courses are 2 or 3 days a week for an hour or two. Since there is much less lecture time, students are expected to do much more outside reading and studying of the coursework. Many new college students don't realize this. Because of these major changes, time management becomes severely important to any new college student.

Those who are looking for parties, fraternities/sororities, or a large campus probably wouldn't be happy here.

Cody

They are friendly and helpful people who usually will help you out when you need it.

I would tell myself that I need to work hard to achieve my goals. I would also tell myself that if I ever needed help that the teachers will help in any way they can. I would also tell myself that the classes are more relaxed to where that you do not have to ask permission to get up and leave to get stuff to drink or use the restroom. I would also tell myself that there is a learning center that helps you out with anything class related that you are having trouble with. I would also say to myself that they have some good computer labs. I would also tell myself not to wait to get classes or books because they tend to fill up fast and that it is cheaper to buy books online instead of in the bookstore.

I think every type of people should attend this school it has a small and kind community. Classrooms tend to be small and teachers listen to each student. If there are times that you can't go to the campus they offer online classes.

Tessa

I would make sure I attended this campus and did everything I have already done. I would make sure I applied myself to some of my non major classes to raise my GPA, but other than that I would not change a thing.

Small town people who do not want to go to a big college and want to save money while getting a great education. Possibley people who have to work ful time or have kids or big responisblities.

Anyone who wants to be big into parties, or greek life. Do not if you hated high school beacuse we have plenty of high school post- secondary students that attend or if your looking to get away and have the big time college experience.

bethany

The thing that is most unique about kent state tuscarawas is probably our math classes. We have transitioned from all of our algebra classes being in a class room to being online in a math system called ALEKS. And it is so much easier. You can work at your own pace and finish early if you can.

My Advise To Me- Remember that day you were fifiteen years old and you picked up your first cigarette? How about your first joint at sixteen? My advice to you, If I could go back and do it all over is don't smoke that cigarette or that joint. Keep your friends close instead of pushing them away. Also take those post-secondary classes you wanted to take but never did. Then maybe you'd be ahead of the game instead of behing like you are now. I would tell you not to tell your "so-called" friends about the people you were dating and the things you were doing if I wouldve known the social humilaition it wouldve caused. And most of all I would tell you to stand up for what you believe in and speak your mind, instead of sitting in the background and hiding. You were a social butterfly and it shouldn't have waited til college to come out.

The worst thing about kent state tuscarawas I can think of is the scheduling problems mostly. The schedules really interfere with my work schedule and make it hard to work more than twenty hours a week at my job. One class that I need could go from 12:50-3:00 in the afternoon and then the next class i need might not be available that day until 6:15pm so I could have a three hour break at school making it hard to work, when we work six to eight hour shifts.

Ginelly

If I could go back in time I'd give myself advice that may seem obvious now, but I didn't think it would make such a great impact on the life I now lead. Don't go to sleep late the night before your ACT and SAT, the result can be catastrophic. Remember to write things down in your planner, you bought it for a reason. Even if you say you'll remember what you need to do later, write it down (in the planner). Make sure you don't leave things for the last minute. Ask questions if you don't understand things, if you're afraid of what others may think just ask the teacher after class. Apply for all the scholarships and universities. Don't forget what your priorities are, you need to do well in school so that you can make your dreams come true. Do your best and make everyone proud.

Katelynn

If I were to go back in time and know what I know about college, I would advise myself to push through high school harder. College is well worth the stress and money. In high school I recieved A's and B's, in college i finished my first semester with a 3.957 GPA. The accomplishment I felt was relentless. If I would have known how good it felt to be so high up on the totem pole in high school, I would have accomplished more. I would also tell myself to get a job and save up money. You're going to need it when you hit college life. Now granted, grants, scholarships and loans help a tremendous amount, but some people aren't as fortunate as others and can get denied. College life really is an eye opener. It's hard to explain. When you experience college life, you won't forget it. My words to myself would be " you can do it, don't let other discourage you of your dreams."

The best thing about Kent State University at Tuscarawas is the faculty. All of my professors have been very welcoming and well educated. If any student struggles, the professors are there to help and get that student tutors, if they're willing. The professors care about each student as an individual but also the class as a whole. I am very thankful for the faculty at KSUT.

The worst thing about my college is they do not have my major and I will have to go elsewhere for the program. I want to be a radiologic technician and Tuscarawas doesn't teach it. I will have to go to Kent State University Salem. Salem is quite a commute from New Philadeliphia.

Melissa

For a regional campus, we have a number of student organizations to become involved in, something for everyone.

The apprehension and intimidation about, higher education in unwarranted. You will do well, given your dedication and perseverence, you will overcome any obstacles that may present themself. Be strong and you will see, endless possibilties, growth as a person, and what an amazing/successful woman within, is waiting to emerge.

We use the most current publicly available data. As such, we don't remove or edit college information. Sources for school statistics and data include the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System. Portions of college data include copyrighted material, which is reproduced on this website by permission of Wintergreen Orchard House, a division of Carnegie Communications. © 2009-2016 by Wintergreen Orchard House. All rights reserved.
Financial aid at this institution is only available for those who qualify.