Gambier, OH
Kenyon College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Kenyon College

Fixed  rate loan

Kylie

I just finished my freshman year at Kenyon and I absolutely love it. Going in, I was nervous about the small size and the location in rural Ohio; however, I've discovered that both of these aspects of Kenyon actually contribute to what makes it such a great place. The students, though small in number, are as a group generally very kind and intelligent. Therefore, the campus is very close knit and there is a great sense of community. This sense of community is also bolstered by Kenyon's location in the middle of nowhere. Gambier is a hamlet with five businesses and no off campus housing for students, but students can find almost anything they need in the market or excellent bookstore and the lack of off-campus housing options gives the students a more common experience. And, if a student yearns for crowds and more shopping opportunities, the bustling metropolis of Mount Vernon, Ohio, is about ten minutes away by car and accessible by campus shuttle.

Andrea

Kenyon College is a wonderful college academically. Classes are small. I had a class with six people in it my first semester and my third semester had four. Professors are always there. They may not be as helpful as you wish, but they are there. It is small and rural, that comes with its ups and downs.

Lexi
I love Kenyon!

Kenyon is an intellectually stimulating environment, and an absolutely beautiful place to live for four years.

I love Kenyon!

Melissa

Kenyon College

While Kenyon is pricey, the college offers great financial aid if you qualify. They gave me the most aid out of all of the colleges I applied for.

Laura

I absolutely love it! The community is close-knit, your professors will all know you by name, and the athletic facility is gorgeous. There are so many things to do here, even though the community is secluded: I love to go hiking at the Brown Family Environmental Center, go swimming in the Kokosing or in the athletic center's awesome pool, and go to plays. Academics here are of the utmost importance, classes will stretch your mind and challenge you, and your peers will be brilliant. Overall I believe Kenyon provides an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best self, and is well worth the cost.

One stereotype is smart, which is accurate, everyone here is smart, typically by way of hard work and passion. Another stereotype is rich, that is probably true for half of the students? It depends on what you deem to be "rich", I guess. But pretty much everyone is kind, so what does it matter how much money they have? Another stereotype is "democratic" or "liberal", there are certainly a lot of people here with that political outlook, but if you don't have that outlook you'll still fit in just fine, so long as you aren't hateful (this goes for all political or religious affiliations). Our unofficial motto here is "you do you", if you come to visit for a day you'll probably hear at least three separate students say it.

Shout out to the swim team! The lords swim team is pretty famous for winning 34 NCAA championships and having the longest winning streak in NCAA history. A lot of students are on sports teams, though, and all the teams seem to be close-knit. There are a variety of frats and sororities that are also very close. The sports teams and greek life organizations throw great parties, often held in the Old Kenyon basement, that the whole school is invited to and encouraged to attend, and no one cares whether you're drinking or not drinking, which is great. Our a cappella scene is absolutely stunning, and there are a variety of other musical groups you can participate in, too. There are lots of clubs and committees, so whatever you're in to, I'm sure you can find a club/sport/committee/organization to be part of at Kenyon.

Academics here are extremely important. Everyone takes their classes seriously, there hasn't been a single day that I've been on campus and haven't studied or done homework in some way. We just care a whole lot about learning our subject material and learning it well, not necessarily because we want to do well (which we do, obviously), but because we love it. It is considered cool to be a nerd here, so pretty much everyone is cool. We do have some really awesome extracurriculars, sports, and parties, but if you aren't going to college for the education, then Kenyon probably isn't the place for you.

Patrick

I wish someone would have told me how many actual quarters and Tide detergent I would need to get my laundry done my first year of college. I also wish someone would have told me to get to the dryer as soon as the dryer has completed its cycle , because people would pull out my items and place them on the counter for all to see.

Tim

My schools i best known for two things. It has an amazing English department and the swim team has won over 35 national championships.

I would tell the high school version of myself to stop wasting time trying to be cool by hiding your intelligence. The pursuit of knowledge and the curiosity that results in learning new things are beautiful instincts that should not be suppressed. In high school I had an irrational fear of being branded with the dreaded label of “nerd”. In college and beyond I now am liberated by the freedom to express my inner nerd and let it flourish. I want to look my high school self in the eye and let him know what he is missing. I want to let him know how it is exponentially more exhilarating to discuss the impact Edouard Manet had on the Impressionism movement than it is to argue over the impact Adam Sandler had on comedy movies. As a teenager it is easy to allow peer pressure and the fear of embarrassment squelch intellectual curiosity. As an adult you begin to realize that fear, especially the fear of embarrassment, only prevents you from experiencing what is truly enjoyable.

The worst thing about Kenyon College is the lack of internship and career opportunities directly involved with the school. This is partially caused by it being a very small school but it is also very difficult to maintain a high GPA and internship opportunities generally don't take that into consideration as much as they should.

Madeline

It's nice to not be at a huge school but I definitely could do without seeing every single person I know when I go to breakfast in sweats and no make up on on Sunday morning. If people have heard of it, they're impressed. Otherwise they think you're in Africa. The worst things are the isolation, drinking culture, and weird social vibes. Best are the professors.

Great! If they have your major you're set.

Aubrey

Friendly, if not sometimes a little pretentious, liberal thinkers, who are interested in current even and controversal topics. No particular religious affiliation although there is a notable percentage of Jewish students. Interest in sports and other campus activities varies among the students.

A small, liberal arts college with an excellent English and Fine Arts department. The campus is beautiful and cosy in winter. Wonderful sense of community. Most students are involved in the campus programs, groups and activities.

No, we didn’t totally mess up college, but I’m sure we could have done it better. Here are a couple of things you should consider this time around: Firstly, there’s no shame in using the Pass/Fail option, especially your first year. A difficult class or professor can influence more than just one semester. Your GPA is important in the long run and it’s better to have a Pass on your record than a C, which will lower you GPA and ultimately keep you from Cum Laude status. Also, don't allow that one bad professor deter you. There are many advantages to studying higher math, even if it isn’t your major. When it comes to campus life, take advantage of every opportunity, volunteer, get to know as many people as you can. Don’t try to find your niche so quickly; most of your classmates are smart and engaging people. Looking back, I wish I had gotten to know many of them my first year. It would have given me more time to enjoy their company. Otherwise, dress warmly and enjoy, you only get to go to college once and four years fly by.

Andrew

I love this place. But then again, what I looked for in a college is different from what many other people want. The size is intimate, the town of Gambier is charming, but limited to a few restaurants and a single market. The smallness of both bothers some people. It doesn't bother me at all but it comes down to personal preference. The campus often wins or does very well in "Most Beautiful Campus" rankings, and rightly so. There are a lot of trees, nearby farms, bike trails and dusty country roads through all of it. And the stars are AMAZING. Being in a rural area (albeit a quick free shuttle ride away from the much larger town of Mount Vernon, complete with Wal-Mart and fast food) annoys people. It's certainly a change from living in an urban or even suburban neighborhood. But it's also a great way to focus on four years of study and sort of hide away from the rest of the world until an entire lifetime of manically running around cities. Again, goes back to personal preference. In my opinion, this campus has a terrific atmosphere that needs to be experienced in person in a visit before anyone can make an educated decision about its merits. A key part of this is EVERYONE IS SO POLITE AND FRIENDLY. It's really difficult going back home and getting used to not being able to smile and say hello to every stranger I walk past in the street. It bothers me not being able to relate to many people back home--people who haven't heard of Kenyon or think the liberal arts isn't worth it...again, personal preference is important concerning this.

First-Year Sing. At the end of Orientation, they line all the first-year students up on the steps of Rosse Hall and they sing the four Kenyon songs, which they have been practicing, while the upperclassmen make as much noise as possible via shouting, obscure brass instruments, etc. It's a humorous, lighthearted, and only slightly disconcerting rite of passage experience to open up the Kenyon community to the next graduating class.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Last year I always worked in the common room. It was loud but a nice atmosphere with friends nearby. The library is fine too, with lots of study spaces. But the best place to work, in my opinion, is to sit outside on a nice day or to go down to the Kokosing Gap Trail to sit on a bench.

The only person who would feel out of place here is one who thinks trying is for losers. Or maybe someone who absolutely hates the rural, isolated atmosphere. That said, Kenyon is home to a wide variety of students, most of whom are fairly laid back and understanding. There isn't a lot of racial diversity compared to other top liberal arts colleges. There IS a lot of geographic diversity and a growing pool of international students.

Kenyon College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.