Gambier, OH
Kenyon College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Kenyon College

Harper

It's a little too small in my opinion, but overall it's fine. We need an environment to live in pretty badly though, for this time in our lives, corn fields don't cut it. Iffy and conflicted school pride abounds, irony is usually employed when love of the school is expressed, but most people seem to feel it deep down. Irony is employed in regard to absolutely everything else, so it's hardly a reflection on our commitment to the institution. I'll always remember the various antics of my friends: public recitations of "Love Song of J. Alfred Proofrock", filming pumpkins being thrown out of a window on the 10th floor of the ugliest dorm imaginable. We make something of this place. Frequent student complaints are nonsense: students seem to believe that the school had soul which it is in the process of losing, but this is nostalgic and delusional. It's always in a state of transition, as is every other place. We can look back on the past with pleasure but it's just silly to expect it to stay the same. There will be new and different good things to come, we just need to have a little imagination. We're writers, it shouldn't be that hard.

Tables are probably indie kids, nerdy dorks, jocks, and fashionistas. One of my favorite things if not my favorite thing about my shcool is that you can look however you want and there will be a general consensus that that appearance is not all one is. You can dress like a teeny-bopper or a typical football player and it still be an easy possibility that you are brilliant. Everybody at Kenyon knows that. I love that about my school.

This is a temporary stage in our lives and everybody knows it. This is very, very sad environment in which to exist if one needs meaning in one's life to survive. It's very stifling.

I've encountered a huge quantity of selfishness and and thoughtlessness beneath the accurate exterior.

Professors do seem to know my name; I wish I was less memorable. My favorite class was my smallest: Mystic Philosophy, 7 students. My least favorite was also philosophy, with 20 students. Class participation depends on the attitude of the students, the professors, the courseloads, the time of day, lot of stuff. It's certainly encouraged by most professors. They don't want to talk the whole class. My department is a pain, I really hate it. The teachers are kind and brilliant and wonderful when you talk to them in office hours. I just wish their office hours were the only parts of them I were exposed to. I wish Kenyon made it's academic requirements more visible from the beginning of our studying here, or at least that all of it was available online. It seems like cheating for it not to be on the registrar's site.

Outside of our circle of elite/semi-elite liberal arts colleges, I don't think there is any. Nobody's heard of us. Inside it, we like to characterize ourselves as quirky friendly community-oriented intellectuals.

Anna

Probably Kenyon's best quality is its people- students, professors, and most of the staff- who create the atmosphere so associated with the college. If I had to change one thing, it might be the lack of trust that's grown between students and members of the administration in the past year or so. I love the size of the campus, it's wonderful to walk anywhere and 98% of the time see someone you could wave and say "hi!" to. A lot of people have never heard of Kenyon, but those who have generally smile and say good things about the quality of education, as well they should! I usually spend much of my time with friends, so that means a lot of time in dorm rooms, the Atrium of the library, and some at Middle Ground or Earnst/Gund (none of us can wait until we can eat a leisurely dinner in Peirce again!). I don't think it matters much to those of us who have chosen to come to Kenyon that it's in the middle of nowhere- by the time you're in your second semester, freshman year, it becomes somewhat of a private campus joke that we're surrounded by cornfields and no one knows where we are. Kenyon's administration is a controversial topic on campus; I think a lot of the older students resent the recent paternalistic approach that we feel has been taken towards matters which directly effect the student body. Interestingly, with the new swipe card and alcohol policies, the controversy really hasn't been so much that they are proposing such plans- many other colleges, including ones comparable to Kenyon have these already, and some of us can see the benefits, even if they are maybe less needful in the Kenyon environment- but rather the problem has been in the way these policies have been introduced to the student body without our input. We've resented the unilateral decisions which seem so antithetical to the sort of community feelings the administration is always touting in our guidebooks and encouraging us to foster once we arrive; such treatment feels very disrespectful and disdainful of the students, and I think maybe really hurt some of the upperclassmen's future dealings with the college.

I'd say all these statements are accurate, and by and large the current student body hopes to maintain that stereotype as part of Kenyon's charm. We're all hard working and there are many amazingly smart and talented people, but we also goof around, have geeky, funky, or weird interests, and are basically fun people.

I absolutely adore my professors. They all know me by name and have made conscious efforts to interact with me outside the classroom as well as in. I've had dinner with several professors since my first year and, in going abroad, got very close to one of the English professors and her family who accompanied the 2006/07 Kenyon-Exeter group. I've met professors to do odd jobs, get coffee, get recommendations for graduate school and just to shoot the breeze. Kenyon professors are by and large truly wonderful human beings: kind, compassionate, wise and brilliant. I'm very happy and grateful to have had them as my teachers.

Kenyon students are typically termed a little quirky, a little goofy and a lot talented.

Erin

Most of the time when I tell people I went to Kenyon, their response is "Where?" You most likely won't score any impressive looks from people who ask where you go to college as most people have never heard of it. But if you're among the more literature-versed of crowds, chances are they know about Kenyon and their reaction will be "Wow. That's a really good school." Don't go to Kenyon because you want to impress everyday people on the street with your undergrad credentials: go because you want to be there. If you do, you will have the best four years of your life. I guarantee it. In response to the large boost in applications received every year, the administration has slowly been taking steps to bring Kenyon "up to date" with other colleges in the country. Most of these changes have been met with large volumes of student protest--students want to keep Kenyon feeling like Kenyon. People don't lock their doors, all dorms are open at all hours of the day and night, and a sense of trust exists among the community in Gambier. Some of the biggest controversies in recent memory include the Master Plan to completely overhaul the layout of Kenyon's campus, the proposal to sell the bookstore to Barnes & Noble (which didn't happen thanks to student protests), and the forthcoming installation of ID card readers on all academic buildings and dorms. The students take a lot of pride in Kenyon and its atmosphere and any proposals to "update" the school to be more like bigger state schools have been met with immense opposition from a very vocal student body. At Kenyon, your passions in life probably already have their own club--and if not, start one! There are more traditions--both school-approved and not--than I can recount in one little article, but suffice to say you'll learn them all by the end of your freshman year. The dining hall food isn't the best, but it's available all day and the school recently created a partnership with local farmers to help promote the local agricultural economy. As for what I miss the most, I will never again see an autumn as beautiful as one at Kenyon.

In general, Kenyon students are predominantly white, left-leaning, open to new experiences, and in the top 20% of their graduating high school class. Beneath that, though, you'll find an astonishingly diverse population. Kenyon is not the place for those looking to party hard and study later, nor is it the place for those who really want to feel like they're out there "in the real world." Kenyon students are looking for a haven from the outside world where they can focus on bettering themselves and their community without the detractions presented by a big city or a state school. The students come from all over the country and the world, and all of them are eager to learn about what the world has to offer. Students come from all financial and social backgrounds, and the dining tables are more likely to broken down by interests rather than stereotype. Most everyone at Kenyon is politically active and very opinionated, so those who love having intelligent debate fit right in. The majority of the campus is very liberal, and intolerance of any kind is severely frowned upon. Students are Kenyon to learn for the sake of learning, not to put another notch on their path to a six-figure CEO position. Although Kenyon students often end up with such jobs, that is never the main reason why they attend the school.

As with all stereotypes, the ones about Kenyon are based on a grain of truth; but, for the most part, these cursory glimpses barely manage to skim the surface of what's actually there. While its location is very rural, Kenyon's atmosphere is more reminiscent of a liberal-thinking utopia than a backwards small town. Professors, students, staff, and townsfolk all intermingle on a daily basis, forming a solid sense of community that I haven't found anywhere outside of Gambier. As for the students, intelligence reins and you find that even the most unlikely looking person is well-informed and able to engage you in a debate ranging from politics to classical literature to sports. Everyone at Kenyon is there because they chose to be there, because it drew them in, so it's rare to find someone that doesn't appreciate what they have at Kenyon.

Kenyon is small by national standards--about 1,600 students when I attended--but it's just the right size for its students. Classes are usually no larger than 20 students, which allows the professors to develop personal relationships with each of their students. You'll get invited over to your professor's house for dinner at least once during your college career, and most likely get invited even more often than that. Students babysit their professors' children and are often on a first name basis with everyone from the maintenance staff to the bookstore employees. You are an individual at Kenyon, not a number, and most faculty find a way to respect every student's individual strengths and help them with their weaknesses. Students aren't competitive with each other, instead pushing one another to learn more and helping when some fall behind. Class discussions are entirely what the students make them--the professors won't guide you or give you the answer straight out to make things easier. The classes are challenging and sometimes feel like more than you can handle, but the professors are always there to help. The English department is far and away the biggest and most well-known of Kenyon's departments. Some of the department's most famous alumni include John Crowe Ransom, Laura Hillenbrand, Robert Lowell, James Wright, and E. L. Doctorow. It's also home to The Kenyon Review, one of the America's foremost literary magazines. Since it has such a stellar reputation as a writing school, all the professors are very accomplished and articulate and expect you to be the same. My professor for a genetics lab regularly commented on the grammar, organization, and literary style of our lab reports in addition to the science. You won't leave Kenyon without learning how to write, that's for sure! The Drama department, where I spent most of my "free" time, is also nationally renowned--listed as one of The Fifteen Best Colleges for the Aspiring Actor by The College Finder. The Playwright in Residence is Wendy MacLeod, one of the foremost American woman playwrights living today. Paul Newman and Alison Janney both graduated from Kenyon's Drama program as well. As for the academic requirements, Kenyon is not a college for lazy students. In order to graduate with your intended major(s), every student is required to pass the Senior Exercise, which differs by department. In most cases, the student is required both to present a project (often to outside examiners) that serves as the capstone to their undergraduate career and pass a written exam encompassing the entire body of knowledge he/she has learned while studying for their major. Very few colleges do this in America as it's a more European tradition, but such a rigorous requirement for graduation ensures that each Kenyon student leaves with a comprehensive understanding of their subject(s).

There's a well-known phrase on campus that "football is to The Ohio State University what writing is to Kenyon." That's completely true. Students are more interested in intellectual or collaborative pursuits than they are in "typical" college activities. That's not to say there aren't parties: the swim teams famous end-of-season "Shock Your Mama" party was mentioned in an issue of Playboy Magazine. Essentially, Kenyon students work hard and party hard. The a cappella concerts are packed full to the point of standing room only, and most everyone has stayed at the library late enough to hear the "geek bell" (the closing bell) at least once a semester. Theater is very popular, and there's always at lest five campus-wide events going on every night--and more on weekends, of course. Unlike most colleges, there's not a whole lot to do in the nearby off-campus areas, so the students create their own entertainment. Frats and sororities are not a major part of life, but they are often the ones throwing the free campus parties. I'll never forget how I met some of my closest friends my freshman year. During freshman orientation--which takes place three days before the rest of campus arrives--there was a huge storm and the power was knocked out for over 48 hours. My hall gathered in the darkness with flashlights and laptops and passed the time watching movies, scaring each other, getting to know one another, and running back and forth to other dorms. It was like summer camp, and I couldn't imagine a better way to start my Kenyon career. We were a community from the very start.

Because of its location, Kenyon is often seen as a step up from a farming school. Surrounded by pastures and fields, many people assume that Kenyon is a rural, Amish buggy sort of place. As for the students, they're seen as either hippie ultra-liberals or over-privileged, self-entitled rich kids with no appreciation for what's been given them.

Heather

The best thing about Kenyon is middle path. Its long and can either be peaceful at night or in the mornings or you will see all of your friends on the way to classes. I would change the president, Georgia Nugent. She is changing Kenyon for the worst and taking in a direction that the students do not agree with. The school is small in the winter, when you feel a little trapped but its perfect in the sense that you get to know a lot of students and professors. The bonds I have made are closer than my other friends at other large universities. I spend most of my time in South Quad when its warm out or my apartment with my friends. Most likely more time at Pierce when it opens next fall. The college is the town which has its draw backs and advantages. I really dislike the Kenyon administration. They do NOT serve the students needs, and like I previosly stated, are at the moment more concerned with rankings than the cumminity feel. The biggest recent controversy is over the 'spide cards' which would create a feeling of distrust among the students. The administration tried to pass the implimentation of this withoutthe students knowledge. Yes, there is a lot of school pride. The ghost stories and the friendliness of the students are all a bit unusual. Students go out of their way to make others feel comfortable. I will always remember my first 'Shock Your Mom' party. Ask about it. The most frequent student complaints are over the use of cell phones and about the president or the dean of students, Tammy Gocial.

Kenyon is very tolerent sexually and racially. We are VERY economically friendly here on the hill. We like to walk and we don't really drive anywhere because its only a little over a mile from one end of campus to the other. Kenyon students wear jean or sweats with flats. Heels are a no no. Most kenyon students are from the tri-state area, Ohio, and surrounding Ohio states. And also, odly, LA. Students interact with each other, we do not really have huge divides in people. Most students tend to be well off financially. Kenyon is a very potically active and aware campus. We were on the news nation wide for the last elecations. We are more concerned over our present life and education and not as focused on future earnings.

Seriously, the administration sucks.

To some degree, yes. But Kenyon is what you make of it and so many people do not fit any of these stereotypes.

All of my professors know my name and have had long conversations with me at one point in time. My favorite class was Quest for Justice (a freshman class) because it allowd me to agrue and explore a plethera of different subjects politically. My least favorite class was economics with Longbreak. I love econ, but he was a mediocre teacher at best. Don't worry, hes gone. Students study a good amount, especially during finals and midterms. Aka the library is packed. Students have intellectual conversaitons out side of class if they want to. Especially in the spring. And yes, most Kenyon students are driven which tends to imply competative. But not in a mean or bad way, just push each other to do well. Class participation is expected and required. My major is political science and they are the most interesting and thought provoking classes in my opinion. But I am biased. I have gone out to coffee with my professors before and its not uncommon for them to throw parties at the end of the semesters with the students. Kenyons academic requirements are challenging and difficult. Don't apply if yu want an easy ride. Kenyon is more geared for learnng for its own sake.

ARchons, a comunity service group, has the most members of any group on campus. I am a part of the Sailing club which was just started and with each group you jin it gives you a new group of people to meet and be friends with. Students are very into speakers at Kenyon. Often, if they are popular and well advertised, the entire auditorium will be filled. Dating can be intense at Kenyon because it is so small. Most people have hooked up with the same people by the time you graduate. I met my closest friends through my freshman hall, sailing club, ultimate frisbee, and my sorority. If I am awake at 2am I usually drive into McDonalds with my friends because I am most likely pulling an all nighter and they start serving breakfast at 2am. Phling which is a formal is anual, Halloween in Old Kenyon, and the Shock Your Mom event. Frats and teams are pretty influential because they hold all of the large parties on campus but you do not feel pressured to join one. Last weekend I went to a formal for my guy friend, a concert, a cowboys and indians party, and a mo-town band presentation that my friends are part of. Off campus you can drive into Columbus or Easton shopping center which is 45 min away.

Nerds, great swimmers, great writers.

Jamie

Imagine a college campus off in the woods, on a hill, surrounded by corn fields. This is Kenyon College. For every season of the year--winter being the longest--one can find some small spot on the Hill at its most beauteous. The close-knit community at Kenyon figures as perhaps its strongest feature. When at its best one finds himself compacted into fierce bonds of friendship; he questions how he has only known these people for a tear, two years, six months... But at its worst the social environment feels more like a collection of bubbles sliding up against each other within a closed container. Kenyon offers that sense of remove, invigorating to the poet or philosopher keen on long walks. Those attuned to the niceties of brand name stores and "the best Thai restaurant back home" will find the village pleasantly homey for about two weeks before they devolve into a harangue on the quality of cafeteria food and the solace of their Netflix accounts. Generally, I spend a large portion of my weeknights in an existential quandary outside the local computer lab or game room. On the weekends a largely unimaginative party scene dominates. The students seem content.

Diversity is the Holy Grail of the Kenyon Admissions Office. Try as they might to draw in students from a wide range of backgrounds, the same throngs of Mid-Western/Mid-Atlantic, Middle Class/Upper-Middle Class, Caucasian/Non-Hispanic, and Christian/Apathetic fill the halls. Then by harping on so much about multicultural affairs, the administration inadvertently clusters the coveted 12% together and fosters the very separation that they hoped to dispel. The greatest diversity in the student population is in its opinions. And even may occasionally seem startlingly uniform.

Few students would match the aforementioned persona, but nearly every student would overlap in several major ways.

The promotional materials market Kenyon as "a unique academic community where collaboration rather than competition is the guiding spirit." This is more or less true; the overall feel is both diligent and casual. "I've got a thesis and outline due tomorrow morning! Ahk!" "Hey, so do I. How's about a smoke?" While the faculty run the usual gamut from dull to eccentric, most are more than willing to spend time with students outside of the classroom. Just be aware that these things don't always happen on their own. Show a little more interest or dedication from the start if this is the type of academic relationship you wish to foster.

Kenyon sports attract a large swath of campus life, but those activities do not extend much beyond the participants themselves. The same applies to the theater, dance, and art programs. The campus a Capella and comedy groups enjoy a little more transcendence. Dating takes on an odd dynamic in such a small student population, and the aftermath is even more troublesome. Most friendships form either between participants in a mutual club or activity, or from the early awkward mingling of Freshman year.

If only I could draw you a caricature, or a Venn Diagram.

I actually think of Kenyon as my home right now. The people I spend my time with at Kenyon are what make the place so great. It sounds sappy, but it's definitely the people that make or break your experience in college. Kenyon students tend to be really friendly, highly motivated, supportive people. When I visited Kenyon during high school, I just felt that the students there were genuine people. However, I do think there's a big problem at Kenyon that's growing very quickly. The administration is completely out of touch with the current students. Unfortunately, I think this is a nation-wide issue. All the colleges in America are trying to get their numbers up, and since Kenyon was recently ranked as one of the "New Ivies," the administration is doing everything it can to look good. The only problem is that they tend to forget about the students they have now, and instead focus on getting Alumni donations and recruiting students that will make the school look better. I think this is the biggest problem that Kenyon students have with the school right now. However, as I said, I think this issue is not just limited to Kenyon. It's definitely something that needs to be dealt with on a larger level. I didn't know this before coming to Kenyon, but our campus is one of the most haunted places in America. It doesn't matter if you believe in ghosts or not, the fact that Kenyon has so many stories about hauntings really makes great conversation. I could spend hours telling my non-Kenyon friends about all of the ghost stories I've heard at school. I've experienced a few unnerving events myself. One thing I should warn you about: Kenyon really is in the middle of nowhere. The town of Gambier has around 300 people, I believe. The student body is around 1600. So don't go to Kenyon if you're not OK with sitting on top of a hill in rural Ohio for 4 years. There's tons of stuff going on all the time, but it's definitely not like we're in the middle of New York City.

Kenyon's student body does seem rather homogeneous. The high tuition makes it harder for minority groups to afford to go to school there. As with any college, sports tend to be the more important of the extra-curricular activities. However, the "jock" stereotype doesn't really happen at Kenyon. Sure, there are some people who fit into that category, but that can be found anywhere. Most Kenyon students are smart and outgoing, even if a little awkward. The joke is that Kenyon students are all crazy in some way. You'd have to be if you voluntarily sent yourself to rural Ohio for 4 years. Clicks do happen, like the jocks, the grunge kids, the artists, the theater kids, etc. But each group is nebulous enough that you can move from one to the other. Of course, it doesn't matter if you're in a group at all. Most Kenyon students are liberal. I don't know if it's just Kenyon, or if college students tend to be more open-minded in general, but Kenyon is really great about embracing diversity. However, there have recently been prejudicial attacks on certain minority groups. The most recent was anti-Semitism, but there has also been some severe homophobia. But when these things happened, the Kenyon student body was outraged. It's impossible to think that every person at Kenyon is open-minded and non-bigoted. But those types of ideas definitely aren't acceptable at Kenyon.

While there are a lot of spoiled, rich white kids at Kenyon, they don't make up the entire student body. Unfortunately, Kenyon's tuition is extremely high (one of the highest in the nation), which means that Kenyon students generally tend to be well-off financially. But many students, myself included, wouldn't be going there if we didn't receive a lot of financial aid. And any college you go to is going to have spoiled, rich white kids. There's no escaping that.

Academics really are the most important thing at Kenyon. A lot of big schools tend to lose sight of the fact that their purpose is to educate undergraduates. Sports, research, and extracurriculars may become more important at some schools, but definitely not at Kenyon. Class sizes tend to be rather small. The largest class I've ever had was an introductory Psychology class with around 60-70 people. On average, I'd say the classes range from 15-30 people. The professors always know your name. One of the many things I love about classes at Kenyon is the fact that, since the size is relatively small, the teacher calls on you a lot during the period. Kenyon isn't the type of school where you sit and watch a professor talk at you for an hour. You have to do the work, because the teacher will call on you. Classes tend to be much more discussion-based, which I feel is a much better teaching style than simple lecture. The professors at Kenyon are absolutely amazing. Kenyon students tend to be incredibly motivated, intelligent people. However, I don't think we're ultra-competitive grade-grabbers. Most of us are motivated simply because the stuff we're studying is interesting and we want to know about it. I'm a Japanese Area Studies Major, which is under the Modern Languages and Literatures Department. Kenyon's language program is fantastic. I meet with my faculty adviser a lot to discuss my courses, post-graduation plans, and even my general life. The faculty are incredibly open and keep easy office hours to help students stay in contact with them.

The social life at Kenyon is really interesting. There are tons of groups, each with its own meeting time and place. If you don't find a group you're interested in joining, it's easy to make your own. I'm involved with a lot of theater and political rights groups. I've never once taken a theater class at Kenyon, but it doesn't matter at all. I've been the Production Stage Manager for several plays, and worked on lots of Senior Thesis productions. Most Kenyon students don't lock their doors. It's a really trusting atmosphere. Of course it's not a good idea to leave your door unlocked, no matter where you live. But the fact that you don't feel the need to is cool. I tend to be more of a home-body, so I don't really go to big parties that much. I much prefer smaller parties in a friend's room over the huge, noisy, crowded parties. However, the fraternities and sororities have big parties pretty much every weekend, so if that's your thing, you can find it. However, those parties do tend to be a bunch of crappy music and cheap beer. But of course, that's just my opinion. Fraternities and sororities are not really important at Kenyon. You can go to pretty much all of their parties, even if you're not a member. The groups themselves don't really do much other than parties, so you're not missing out on anything if you don't join. I spend most of my free time hanging out with friends. We mostly watch movies, play video games, or just sit around and talk. Kenyon is really laid-back during free time. We have several events that happen every year. A lot of them are normal dances, but some are really different. During Summer Send Off, there's a huge stage set up on one of the lawns, and several Kenyon bands open for a well-known band. The event also has a activities set up near the stage to keep you entertained. The dances are really great. Spring Phling's theme is usually really cool, and they really go all-out to match the theme. The biggest event is a party called "Shock Your Mama," which the swim team throws after their season ends. I think it's one of the wildest parties thrown at any college. The name basically explains itself: you dress yourself up in a way that would shock your mama. It's always interesting.

Kenyon students are all spoiled, rich white kids.

Adams

Best Thing: I would say the best thing about Kenyon is that is provides a rigorous education in a laid back environment. There are student who are genuinely interested in learning and discussion, not simply in getting a good grade. Along with this academic environment, professors are very open to meeting with students outside of class time. Size: Kenyon is the perfect size for me. The small number of students and the relatively small size of the campus itself means that all my friends are nearby and that I will see them throughout the day as I go to and from class. Administration: There has recently been some grumbles amongst students that the administration is too removed from the concerns of the student body. To an extent I would agree, however the administration, through town hall style forums, is working to remedy this. Complaints: The most frequent complaint is probably about the quality of food and the length the renovation of Pierce Hall (the dining facility) is taking.

Whether or not this stereotype is true depends on the person. I would say the stereotype is least true of seniors who are, by necessity, forced to plan for life after Kenyon. The addition of the NY Times in the dining hall has also helped to connect Kenyon with the world at large. In terms of local connections, there are a variety of organizations, many volunteer, that interact with the Knox county community.

Most professors know most or all of their student's names since most classes have around 20 students. I'm not sure about other people, but I am please that I have found friends who are interested in having intellectual conversations outside of class. These most often take place on weekends or at the lunch and dinner table. Both of my departments are relatively small with around 20 seniors in the Anth department and around 15 in the Math. Kenyon is a liberal arts college and so for most of the four years, learning is done for the sake of learning (or rather Kenyon operates under the idea that an undergraduate education is meant to shape the way you think).

Oddly enough, both Kenyon and my former high school shared a nickname, the Dome. Kenyon is supposedly removed from the goings on of the real world, the academic 'ivory tower.'

Mary

Kenyon provides a close, supportive community. It can be like living in a fishbowl, but it is nice to be able to recognize nearly everybody you see. I wish we could pay for laundry on our swipe cards. People are really proud to go to or have gone to Kenyon. Any time you wear Kenyon apparel outside of the area, people will come up to you to talk about Kenyon, saying that they know somebody who's daughter's boyfriend goes there and loves it. All the ghost stories are fun to hear about!

Lack of racial diversity, but plenty of other diversity. Students wear anything from sweats to dresses to class. Liberal student body.

I know my professors, their families, their dogs, where they live, and what, if anything, they order at the campus bars. I have been to their houses, and babysat their kids. They know and care about me as a student. Kenyon students certainly have intellectual conversations outside of the classroom. Students at Kenyon seem to like to learn, and are curious about all different topics. Not having required specific courses is great. You have lots of say in what classes you take, and it isn't too hard to get in to them.

Greek life is small in percentage, but throws lots of big, open parties. Speakers and Social Board events are well attended, as are particular sporting events. Students stay on campus for the weekend to socialize, which is great. There is always tons to do.

huge variety of students, lots of shabby chic kids, smokers, from wealthy backgrounds though you wouldn't guess it

Christa

I love my class sizes, and have found a few good friends. resources for students who need help are pretty great. Kenyon is, however, really homogenous and a lot of people here lack real passion to do much of anything. Though I don't know if this is indicative of kenyon or just people of a certain age. Whatever it is, it's something i don't really like. I spend most of my time in my room, with a few friends. A lot of students complain that the food is bad--and it is.

I feel out of place at Kenyon. Most of the kids here have been extremely heltered and seem to have no interest in observing a world different from their own. It''s a very preppy sort of place, and there's a WASPy sort of sloppiness to the appearance of many, mostly sweatpants and J Crew. I have been criticized for my own eclectic style of dress, which then bears the question "are people reeally judging you base don what you wear?" and apparently some are, which is kind of pathetic. I have found two extremes: people can be really, really sweet or incredibly judgmental. In such a small place, word travels fast, and if your reputation is at all disputed, then you might have a problem.

Generally a kind and noncompetitive school. Some really really really smart people but... there's an edge of american suburbia that can be kind of overwhelming if that isn't where you come from. And if you're from a city, expect a hard first month or so, adjusting to being in the tiny town of Gambier.

the diversity is pretty bleak here. mostly, it's a lot of wealthy suburban kids. there are the hippies too, but even they come from mostly affluent backgrounds.

I love my English class. Generally speaking the academics are interesting but manageable, though I have foudn that even as a first year I've wound up taking a lot of upper level courses to challenge myself, as the intro courses and freshman courses are generally a little on the bland side. That said, I have been thus far happy with my course choices. I feel like most intellectual dicussion doesn't leave the classroom, but it's okay. With some exception, most of the people here are pretty smart, so even just normal everyday banter is more stmulating with the people here than it might be otherwise.

smart hippies, a lot of white kids

Maria

The best thing about Kenyon is the staff. They will bend over backwards to help. And the readon for that is because it is such a small school, at least compared to other institutions. It in itself is its own little town. When I tell people I go to Kenyon, most do not know where that is, and when I say Ohio, they are in shock that I would go there because I am from California. But i spent most of my time in the library, or hanging out. The administration for the time being is still a work in progress. Since there are new people, there is still a trial and error, but that just plain annoys most of the student body. There is not much "school pride". I put that in quotes because all of us here are proud of the school that we are in, but not so much as what we see on tv with the bigger schools. We have pride in the fact that we go to a top school, and that the people, both students and staff/faculty, have the respect for us, as much as we do for them.

I just wish there more who looked and act like me on this campus. That is all

They are not. I am not up-tight nor am I an English major.

Most of my professors know me by name. We do have small classes which allows there to be a student-professor bond to occur. But there are classes that can come to be about 80 students, and in those type of classes, it is understandable that a professor will not know your name. But for the most part, I am know. In my major, I am close to my advisor, and that is what is great, we get to chose who we want as an advisor. What is also great, is that Kenyon is a liberal arts institution. I came in here wanting to major in Sociology, but then I needed to meet the art requirement, and that lead me to Art History. Granted, I do not know of many minorities majoring in Art History, but that makes it even more special and unique. But I really do not feel prepared for the working force, granted that that is something that one has to do on thier own. But if it were not for REACH and friends, I wwould be clueless.

This all depends on how one takes it in. I could be the most boring time ever, or the best. But one needs to make it the time if thier lives, especially in this small rural town of ours.

That Kenyon student are up-tight. That they are only here for the English department.

Kenyon College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.