Gambier, OH
Kenyon College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Kenyon College

Liz

I love the size of Kenyon and how you know everything. I would change the food so it's better. Not everyone has heard of Kenyon when I mention, it but those who do think it's a good school. The administration is okay. There is a lot of school pride.

I have could experiences with racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic and other groups on campus. Students will wear anything to class. Different types of students do interact. Kenyon students are from all over, ad most are politically aware and active.

For the most part, yes. Most of the students here come from fairly affluent families, since it does cost $40,000 a year. But not everyone is preppy.

Professors do you know our names, my favorite classes are my English classes and my least favorites tend to be in history and sociology. Students study very often, but also have fun. Students have intellectual conversations outside of class but are not competitive. Land, Body, Place in Literature and Film is the most unique class I've taken. I love my major and department, and spend some time with professors outside of class. I like Kenyon's academic requirements and believe the education is geared towards learning for its own sake.

Greek life is fairly popular among males, a lot of people are in sports, such as myself. It gives me a good group of friends. I leave my dorm room unlocked. Guest speakers and theater may be somewhat more popular than athletic events. The dating scene isn't that great--there aren't many places to go on dates where you won't see everyone know. One thing that happens every year is Sendoff. I think that some people party as many as 3 times a week, others as few as 1 or zero. Greek life is important in that people do participate and keep the organizations going. Last weekend I was sick so I ran in track meet, slept, studied and watched a movie with a friend. There are organizations that sponsor alcohol free fun on Saturday nights. Off campus I go to xc/track meets, go to Walmart or go shopping.

Stereotypes are that Kenyon has a great English department and that there are a lot of English majors here. Also, the students are typically characterized as rich and preppy.

Al

Best thing about Kenyon: my friends and the education I am getting Thing I'd change: paving middle path-- which I think they might do, its hard to walk on it when it is all ice in the winter, and messy in the spring and fall with all the rain. Must be beautiful during the summer-- too bad the students aren't here to enjoy it then! Size of school: some people may think its too small, for me its a good size, I recognize a lot of people, and I can avoid certain people if I want to, and I am still meeting people who are in my class. College town: What college town? EXACTLY! I chose a rural campus on purpose, but I didn't know I would miss the city a lot. One thing that makes it difficult is that the people living in the village and the near-by town are so different, and not as affluent, or don't have a chance at the education that I am receiving. So, I feel a bit of guilt, which I don't want to feel, and I feel some resentment from natives-- which I hope is not true. Administration: in a HUGE changing process right now-- a lot of the seniors say that Kenyon is not the same as when we first came here, and I think that is very true. I don't know if it is because all colleges change or if Kenyon in particular is changing-- and not all of the changes seem that positive. A lot have to do with partying-- the administration wants to cut down on underage drinking and binge drinking-- which is fine, but I think they are doing it in a very bad and unproductive way. Hard alcohol is no longer allowed at registered campus parties (to combat the fact that hard alcohol gets people drunker and quicker) but I feel like that just drives hard alcohol more under ground for the underage kids, and the older kids, and those who know how to handle alcohol don't get to have those fun mixed drinks- especially for things like senior week (when it is only seniors on campus!) That could also be our biggest controversy now-- the party policy, and how the admin is trying to stop lounge parties and put them in Pierce-- our cafeteria. High school much?

I think there are representations of most groups-- enough so no one feels left out. politics: mostly liberal, democrat, those are the ones who voice their opinions the most. 4 tables in dining hall: one with all girls, one with all guys, the other two coed.

Sometimes I think they are true-- some people have money, but I don't think they necessarily flaunt it, they are just able to pay for some luxuryies. And some of my friends at state schools think that all of the people that go here are rich-- which is not true. The other thing is that lots of people think we are liberal hippies. Which could be true for some of the population, but there are lots of preppy people as well. I think it is pretty mixed.

I know professors and they know me. That is what I like a lot about this school-- the education is the best part, if the social part is lacking, the education is making up for that. My favorite classes are any where a professor encourages discussions and ideas whether they be different to his own or not. I don't like it when profs just try to get a one sentence answer out of you and then lecture you about their own ideas. I thought we were beyond that-- I want to collaborate with profs, not always be lectured by them, especially once we are out of the 100 level range. Yes, I have intellectual conversations outside of class, I would like some more though. I think my friends are intellectually curious but we don't always talk about things we find fascinatiing. Kenyon is learning for learning's sake-- which I like a lot. I feel like I will still be qualified for a job, based on the fact that I will know how to learn and independently teach myself.

That we are are either hippies or completely rich.

Shawn

kenyon is perfect for the right kind of person. most of the complaints are about administration. i agree with a lot of the complaints that kenyon is heading in a new direction. the campus feels different to me than it did when I visited, and that says a lot. maybe its the people, or perhaps it's the administration, but i dont feel very connected to the 'big picture' here. absolutely there isnt enough conversation between students and the administration. what little there is isnt often taken serisouly by students, either because they've lost trust in the administration, or they simply do not care. also, we aren't as progressive as other schools, as a community. sure, we can yell at each other when we don't want our dorms locked, but we have no solutions to make kenyon better for future students.

you'd feel out of place if you don't understand what it is to have a personal connection with everyone in every part of your daily life. to me, it's not just the professors and classmates, but also the women who work at the market, the stray dogs who wander around, that guy at the post office window, and the shuttle driver.

the amount of parent involvement at kenyon sickens me. when i heard parents were pushing for the dorm locks, i spent a lot time thinking about why i came to kenyon in the first place. I did not come to still be under the control of my parents, I did not come so the administration could hold my hand, and i sure as hell did not come and have my mother sign up for the PTA! honestly, kenyon makes me feel like a child. if I had known this before i put my deposit down, i wouldnt have come. i probably wouldve gone to colby. and, even though its so beautiful here and i love the village, im really looking forward to my year abroad to stretch my wings.

most of the students are definately from the upper class, or have that mindset. students are definately disconnected from the outside world. a lot of them are from cities, and they don't understand things like farming and villages.

students do leave their doors open. personally, mine is always locked if me, or my roomies, are gone for more than a few minutes. there isnt enough presssure for students to lock their doors!!!! seriously, if they did this, then what need would there be for proxy cards to be a necessity Except maybe in an emergency. these students are ADULTS! treat them like it!

kenyon students are rich, snobby, and disconnected from the outside world.

Kai

The school is way too small, and it is crucial that they build new dorms to fit more upcoming students. No one seems to know about Kenyon, so it should make haste to advertise a bit more. The professors are smart and enjoy collaborating with students, although they sometimes can be dull and highly ambiguous. Sadly, the frequent complaints are about the state of the food and its outrageous prices, and about the tension between students and the administrations.

Racial groups are sparce on campus, as well as soci-economic groups. Financial aid should be awarded to far more students than it is, considering the price of Kenyon. Students are predominantly left, which gives the campus a liberal pull. Many students who come to Kenyon are intraverted, as we see on middle path as students walk past each other silently, and in their own little worlds.

Fuck swipe cards. The administration better pay for them, because none of us will.

To an extent-- there seem to be a lot of students who enjoy balancing the two categories above, but some do fit the stereotypes perfectly. However, the school stereotypes are pretty accurate except for the assumption that students get along well with Mt. Vernon.

The professors strive to be personal and memorize names. Student study times vary; while some spend tens of hours studying for tests, others finish up in only a couple hours. Fortunately, competition is not a big factor here, it's more about competing with your own previous abilities. Sadly, Kenyon's education so far hasn't convinced me that it's gearing me towards jobs in the future, but more for the sake of learning.

The performing arts are big on campus, and intremurals are getting bigger. Students rarely leave their dorms open, suggesting that they are usually sleeping or sitting alonw doing work. At 2am on a Tuesday, I would be finishing homework and studying for an upcoming exam. People party on the weekends, and some party on Wednesday nights, but about 1/3 of the campus (at least) doesn't bother going out on any night. The dating scene is completely stereotypical: you're either hooking up or married, and there is no other option.

The students are all sickeningly rich, North-eastern, white, awkard preps who fit into two categories: those who drink and party as much as they can, and those who stay in their rooms and work. The school is overly expensive and is known for its extensive english and drama departments, as well as its utter seclusion and happy relations with townspeople.

Melanie

The best thing about Kenyon is the campus. It has many gorgeous old buildings, new buildings, and plans for buildings in the future. I love that I can walk anywhere on campus in fifteen minutes or less. The one thing I'd change is the location of the dining halls. Fortunately, this will be corrected when the Pierce renovation is completed. I think Kenyon's size is just right, although it can seem too small after a breakup or fight, because you see everybody so often. I split most of my time between my room or a friend's apartment, and the physics building (I'm a major, and with three labs this semester I almost live there!) Gambier is very small, but I love how it blends in with the campus. Students know, and are friends with workers in the local market and the bars (we have two bars now). Gambier would be ruined if any chain, such as Wal-Mart, moved in. While driving the ten or fifteen minutes to Mt. Vernon can be annoying, I like that we are separated from it. Although I do not always agree with the decisions of the administration, I do believe that they are doing a good job of keeping Kenyon a competitive and safe school. This year, the largest controversy has been the decision to put locks on the campus dorms. Currently the dorms are open all day and night, so that anybody can enter them. This is very convenient for students, but is a large liability for the school. The board of trustees has decided to install a proximity card system, and are currently in the process of deciding when the doors should be locked. There is a lot of Kenyon pride, but we don't show it very well at sporting events. People care the most about Kenyon's attitude and reputation, and pull together to support the good on campus and protest the bad (such as vandalism at the beginning of the year).

Religious and LGBT groups, as well as other groups from dodgeball to a film making club are very active on campus. Each semester a fair is held so that students have the opportunity to get information on all the groups. While groups such as frats and sports teams tend to stick together, none of them are exclusive and the members have many friends outside of the group as well. Since Kenyon draws wealthy students and artsy students, classwear is anything from a dress and heels to ripped jeans and flannel.

There is a significant amount of well-to-do white students here, but the college is being very active about changing that. A lot of my friends are wealthy, but I never feel isolated, left out, or different because I am not. People are Kenyon are very accepting and friendly.

The largest class I've been in was an intro Psych class, with about forty students. Even in that class, the professor knew everybody's names. Students definitely have to work hard to do well, but a lot squeak by without working very much. Class discussions are good, and often lead professors down paths they weren't planning to take. Students are generally here to learn, and conversations are overheard about anything from cheese to politics. A facebook group, titled "Overhead At Kenyon" quotes some of the best overheard conversations. The physics department is a small, close department. Students are encouraged to work on assignments together, and are given keys to the labs when they declare their physics major. My one physics professor is from Sri Lanka, and at the end of the semester had the class over to his house for dinner, and taught us how to play cricket. We've gotten together a few more times since then to play. Kenyon's academic requirements are simple and not difficult to fulfill, especially as a science major. Professors have told me more than once that when an employer sees a Kenyon degree, they know that the person is not only very good at their major, but good at other areas as well.

That Kenyon students are wealthy white kids.

Shawn

Kenyon is a very small and friendly community. The size can become suffocating at points, but after being at the school for a semester, one is thoroughly inundated with "Kenyon Culture." Kenyon is certainly a unique school and many of the events and folkways that occur here could not happen at other schools with larger populations and increased exposed to the outside world. We take pride in our bubble and sometimes may be carried away by small issues that appear odd to an outsider. The biggest recent controversy was the decision of the administration to add swipe cards to the outside of the dorms. Students were outraged because they were only consulted a few times (amazing considering most schools do not consult students about board decisions.) Additionally, this security precaution is viewed as diminishing the Kenyon community, where students hardly lock their door and leave personal items sitting around without fear of having them stolen. You recognize almost everyone on campus and their is clearly a bond among students, the few residents of Gambier, faculty, and staff. Living here is almost like living in a time warp.

Certainly a decent proportion of Kenyon students are financially stable, and the school tends to have a small minority population, but most students are down to earth and would love to take a science class to complement a classical philosophy course. Additionally, many students are very driven and are excited about finding a unique career to complement the well-rounded education a liberal arts school provides.

Not only do professors know your name, but they will ask you to dinner at their house, have a beer with you, give you a call to talk about a topic you found interesting, and send you emails filled with academic insights. Over 90% of Kenyon students have dinner with a professor before they graduate. Professors here are academic resources in addition to personal mentors and friends. Pure lecture classes are unusual and the small class size insures that even a "lecture" class is really discussion based. It's rare to go to dinner and not make a reference to an academic subject. Kenyon students love sharing knowledge with each other and study groups proliferate campus to help with the sometimes heavy work load. One never ceases to be bored as there is always studying to do, though weekends (and some week nights) will always witness parties. Vocational classes simply do not exist. It is a pure liberal arts curriculum and students are thoroughly invested in learning for the sake of learning rather than career advancement or future goals. Nearly every student is academically well-versed and well-rounded.

A predominant stereotype is that Kenyon students are entitled, white, privileged, prep school kids who hate science and spend time studying useless and arcane subjects while waiting for their trust fund to kick in.

David

Neither are completely accurate; you can be who you want to be at Kenyon, which is one of the greatest things about being on this small hill in central Ohio.

Kenyon students are either really preppy or really earthy/hippy.

Quinn

The sense of community and belongingness is amazing here. There is a great support system, whether it is fellow students, professos, advisors, etc. Many people that I have told I was attending Kenyon had no clue what I was talking about. So, I come to conclusion that many EDUCATED folks have heard about Kenyon, while a few others may have heard of it. There is isn't much school pride, however, everyone on campus has some type of Kenyon apparel. And the most frequent student complaints are the internet connection/bandwidth, the showers, the cafeteria food, and the weather.

The Kenyon campus is very open. Students, professors, as well as administrators take part in the LGBT community. Every student has his/her people which they can hang out with and relate to. Most students dress presentably to class. However, everyone has their days and sometimes their bad week. I guess a lot of the students here come from wealthy backgrounds, however, I think Kenyon does a good making all of the students fit in.

As diversity at Kenyon is gradually increasing, as a minority, I feel comfortbale here. In addition, more than half of Kenyon students receive some financial aid. Lastly, although this is a liberal arts college, many students do have morals and there is more to do around here than drink beer until you faint.

Yes! Kenyon professors will know everyone's name in a matter of days. My favorite classes are the science courses, however, they are extremly challenging. It seems like students study every single day, excluding, but sometimes including the weekend. Class participation is very common and Kenyon students always have intellectual conversations, even in the bathroom. Students are not competitive. We never disclose our grade point averages nor our grades on assignments. Kenyon's academic requirements are quite rigorous, yet not impossible. Finally, if I had a business, I would definitely hire ANY Kenyon student.

Kenyon has a couple gatherings that many students look forward to. These indclude Fling, Shock Your Momma, and Summer Sendoff. To be honest, the dating scene here can get a lot better. I guess people are just not creative, however, I have friends who cook for their boyfriend/girlfriend, or take them out to Mt. Vernon or Columbus. The party scene is most live on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights. Social Board does a really job hosting events and bringing people together. Whehter they drink or not. And all parties on campus are open to ALL of the studens. So, is a fraternity or sorority is hosting a party, they do not mind random people in their division, as long as they are all having a good time.

Some stereotypes about Kenyon are: Only rich white kids come here, the social scene is terrible, and the students here have no morals.

Andy

Best thing: The KAC I'd change: the state that it's located in .. OHIO BLOWS!!! Kenyon is waaaay 2 small you can't hook up with someone on Friday without seeing them on Saturday People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them to go to Kenyon What?? Kenyon? Where is that Africa??? WHat!!! OHio ... no way man! What?? You don't have a Wal-Mart in your town?? I spend most of time in the library or at the KAC COllege town?? Hahah WE ARE THE TOWN! biggest recent controversy: Someone broke the vending machine during the black out..there was glass everywhere SCHOOL PRIDE??? HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA hardly any kids go to the games the football guys are great about supporting all the teams.. but hardly anyone goes to their games it's a shitty situation if you ask me A couple of my friends took my sledding Virginity it was awesome! The most frequent complaint is def. the food... AVI wants us to eat homegrown food but can we please start with edible.

raciaL: i'm one of like three mexicans religious: there is a church on campus but I don't know one person who has bene to it socio-economic: upper-middle class; upper class out of place: minority from a lower socio-economic class different types of students do not interact tables are separated by one sport you play most kenyon student's are from the east coast. predominantly left

The weather is horrible. I'm from Texas a place where there is snow 2 days on the ground... and then it doesn't come back until the next year. That's how it's supposed to be ..you see it .. you enjoy it.. and then it leaves... However at Kenyon... it just stays and stays and stays The boys look semi-appealing until they open their mouths. A lot of them talk about how much money they're going to make, how much money they already have.. or how much the girls at Kenyon blow. I hate the fact that people are dependent on alcohol to have a good time. You can't attend a stand up comedy show, or a party without being semi-buzzed. It's pathetic. The students are brilliant.. but seriously.. seriously.. can we work on social skills first???

The girls don't really care what they look like they roll out of bed and go to class but if they put on a little makeup and went tanning I'm sure they could look as good as the girls at state schools. Although the boys complain... most of the boys have zero personality. Because of Kenyon's new athletic facility a different type of student is attracted to Kenyon.. the prepster/ jocks

yes Students are cooperative not competitive The education is geared toward learning for its own sake.. most people will go onto grad, law, or med school after Kenyon..they're not really looking to work right out of college

we leave our doors unlocked the dating scene blows omg these guys here are just straight up not funny and the ones that are ... are funny in a pretentious sort of way saturday night ... hmmm... doesn't involve drinking?? i don't know school work??

People think that Kenyon is full of hippies and pot smokers. Kenyon girls are "heinous" and the boys are half preppy half crunchy.

Blake

I like the campus a lot. It is very open and pretty, especially South campus. The athletic center is very good - it has a range of things to do and it's still new, so all the facilities are state-of-the-art. I like the size - I don't know everyone who goes here; it's always nice to meet new people who happen to be acquainted with friends or people who are completely outside your circle. Fortunately, the small campus gives Kenyon a more community feel - there are less cliques and more openness than at my high school, which had about 700 more people crowded into a smaller space. I think I would change the administration. Although I do not know them very well (or perhaps because I don't), I find it hard to connect and agree with things that they do. I do not feel respected by the President of Kenyon and some of the Deans. People Nugent has hired seem to view college students as young children. I feel a huge disconnect between the administration and the students. I also feel like there is some disconnect between the staff and the administration. This does not create an aura of trust. Kenyon may have problems accepting change, but this is not necessarily a bad thing - the administration, however, seems to think it is. Any project they want to initiate that the students do not is blamed on our inability to change, even if the students have a legitimate argument. For example, the administration has felt pressure from parents to put in swipe cards to get into the dorms and possibly the academic buildings. They claim that it is for our safety; it could prevent bomb threats and incidents like Virginia Tech (VT had swipe cards, however). Obviously, swipe cards are not going to prevent bombs or bomb threats. Kenyon residents hold doors open for other people, which could give someone with a bomb access. Swipe cards are definitely not going to protect students from bombs placed outside the building, either. The moral here is that if someone wants to gain access to a building for good or ill, they will. Swipe cards are easily stolen, lost, or bypassed. This is logic, not inability to accept change. -the swipe card issue may be more about liability than anything else. If something does happen, Kenyon leaves itself vulnerable to attack if it does not have swipe cards. This is a logical reason, even if the people who attack are not being logical. If the administration would just admit this, I think Kenyon students would be less annoyed. At the moment, we feel lied to and belittled. Overall, I do not think Kenyon students are happy with the administration. We believe they are taking Kenyon to a place we don't want to go - we want to remain unique, but it is hard when the charm of Kenyon is being wiped out by modern-style buildings, conservatism, and an era of mistrust. However, I may be a little annoyed because the tuition is so high, which I (perhaps mistakenly) blame on the administration. If I am on campus, I usually am in an academic building or one of the study lounges. I also like to go to the garden at the Brown Family Environmental Center when it is warm out, which has wireless internet access, so I can do work and be outdoors. Gambier is mostly Kenyon - there is access to food, books, school supplies, mail, etc., but unfortunately to buy more exotic things (like non-Kenyon clothing), we must travel to Mount Vernon (a five-minute drive). I prefer this, though, because it means that I am not tempted to buy too much and going to pick up something simple like an air freshener turns into a road trip with your friends.

Kenyon is mostly white, but I don't think this has a huge effect on diversity. I have met rich kids, middle-class kids, and poor kids from all over the country - in most cases, I have not found that their race was a defining feature in their character or sense of self. Most of my friends are international students, so even though they are light-skinned, I have learned a lot about diverse cultures, from Chinese to Romanian. Most students wear what they are comfortable with wearing - I have seen skirts, Uggs, leggings, skinny jeans, t-shirts, baggy pants, worn-out sweaters, jeans, sweatpants, boots, sandals, and more. For the most part, only kids who put time into their wardrobe put time into noticing what other people are wearing. Most people do not care enough to judge other people based on their clothes, unless they smell. Since Kenyon is small, students from all age groups, all grades, all ethnicities, etc. interact in class, in their dorms, and extracurricular activities. I can usually find people to eat with at any meal, even though they are not the same people each time. A lot of students come from the East Coast and most students are liberal-middle, politically. Most students do not have a life-long goal of becoming really rich, although some may dream. Kenyon is very generous with financial aid, but because tuition is so expensive and Kenyon only has a limited amount of money to give, there seems to be a huge pay gap that is a small reflection of what is happening in the economy nationwide. Middle-class families who make too much money to qualify for financial aid can't afford to come to Kenyon, so there are generally more rich or poor students than middle class students.

Residential Life at the moment is terrible - although students are all housed and mostly happy, the administration of Res Life is driving their CAs away and their policies are making life difficult for a lot of people. This year, nine CAs have left and not many are interested in returning for another year.

Sometimes - there are always anomalies, but most of my friends fit the bill (except for the drugs/smoking) - and I like it that way.

Professors you have had in class, and even some you haven't, know your name. In small classes, it is fairly simple to remember everyone, but in larger classes you have to make an effort to connect. Fortunately, the largest class is about 100 people, and most are much less (about a fifth the size). So far, the classes have all been educational, which is essential since I am here to learn. :) They have not always been fun (especially the beginning classes that you need to advance in the field, but are not what you are interested in), but I have learned a lot. Professors usually find a way to make classes relevant and encourage student participation, especially taking advantage of office hours. Kenyon students know how to have fun outside class, but I have also had many academic discussions about class topics, politics, current events, or an article from the New York Times. Although most students are excited to show off their knowledge and be successful, there is not much competition between students. Students are more supporting with each other, though they may be competitive with themselves. I am majoring in psychology. I love my adviser and I am excited to take more upper-level courses next year. I like requirements that you need to take classes in all disciplines (Art, Natural Science, Social Science, Humanities), but I am not fond of the depth requirements. Instead of trying a lot of everything, Kenyon prefers that you take one unit in one department in each of the four disciplines before graduating. This is difficult for me, since I am taking a lot of natural science courses and do not have much time left to complete my major, take the courses I am interested in, and finish art credits. Overall, I think classes are aimed at learning for its own sake, but at the same time this prepares you for fields you are interested in.

I do not know what the most popular groups are - there are a lot of things to choose from, if you have the time. There are varsity, intramural, and club sports, volunteer opportunities, study groups, academic discussion groups, political activist groups, anti-drug/alcohol groups, greek life events, and more. i have never needed to look far for something to do. Social Board, as well as some other clubs, arrange trips off campus (movie nights, skiing, rock climbing, etc.), so every weekend there is something for students to do that does not involve partying. There are plenty of opportunities to party, as well, if that is what you are interested in.

I don't know of any stereotypes of Kenyon students, other than the general stereotypes of students at any liberal arts school: liberal politics, care about social justice, sandals in winter, use pot or smoke, etc.

Kenyon College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.