Gambier, OH
Kenyon College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Kenyon College

Reese

Kenyon has taught me many lessons I think it's in a unique position to provide. For example, if I were at a school in a city, I doubt I would have learned how to entertain myself. If you cannot interact comfortably with people without a drink or two in your system, this may not be the place for you because we educate through interaction. I feel safe here, which liberates me. And as much as I get bored occasionally seeing the same people constantly and with the middle-of-nowhere Ohio setting, I'm grateful for its people, who compensate for these. I have found about 85% of students to be friendly, bright, and approachable. There are people here who get caught up on their image, particularly pretentious cigarette-smoking English majors, but they are still redeemed by and large because they are kind and genuinely interested in other people. I make an effort to get to know the professors I respect and they are a great part of my love for this place: I walk their dogs, house-sit for them, go out to coffee or lunch with them, and am invited to their houses for meals with their families. They are professional and appreciate their role and its boundaries, but I still feel comfortable speaking to them about substantial topics. As for Gambier, it may not be thrilling, but it is beautiful and navigable, and I like that. If I need exotic food, there's an Indian restaurant 10 minutes away. If I need to shop for food, there's a Kroger. We have a beautiful gym, but when it's cold, I hate walking down there.

Kenyon is not especially religious. There are not a huge amount of non-white people here, but we're working on it, and it's respectable. I would feel comfortable sitting down at any table of friends (not so much at a frat or team table). Kenyon leans to the left, but is blessedly free of the uniqueness contest I saw at so many colleges like Sarah Lawrence.

Not exactly. 70% of students are on scholarship, so those rich stereotypes don't exactly fit. The division of type into location is more accurate, but not entirely - there are nerdy science kids South and there are dumb football players North.

Our academics deserve their stellar reputation. I have never felt like I was competing with another student academically. It seems like everyone wants to do well and doesn't worry about beating someone else. I always feel challenged, but I still have adequate time for play. I loved History of Jazz and Cross-Cultural Psychology, and I rarely have a lackluster professor. Requirements are more than reasonable and I love being a Psych major. I get to take the most interesting classes with the most empathetic students and professors around me. I feel well-prepared for a career in Counseling Psych because my profs got me an internship that will open doors and they will write me specific, positive recommendations since they actually know me.

That everyone here is a rich writer, that people who live on the North end of campus smoke and major in English and people who live on the South end of campus are frat and sorority kids majoring in parties and sports.

The best thing about Kenyon is the sense of community. I first got a taste of Kenyon when I came here for a two-week writing program the summer before my senior year of high school. Even though there weren't many students around at the time, I loved the fact that everywhere I went people smiled and said "hi" to me. Gambier is super small (only 350 full-time residents), and the village doesn't have a single traffic light. Everytime you go outside you see someone you know. Students share post office boxes with other students and run into professors while checking mail at the post office, and you'll inevitably go to dinner at a professor's house at least once during your time here. People are here because they genuinely want to be here. Students are curious, ambitious, and open to seeing things from a different angle. I've never met anyone here who hated Kenyon, and that enthusiasm is contagious. As a result, students and professors care intensely about the current state and the future of the college. When something doesn't seem right, students get talking about it. Recently there's been some controversy over the possibility of installing a proximity card lock system on the dorms. As it stands right now, the dorms have never been locked. Each dorm room has a lock, of course, but you can walk right into any building here. Overall, Kenyon and Gambier are extremely safe. I've walked home alone at night and not felt scared or threatened, there are blue light emergency phones all over campus, and security vans are always patrolling the streets. However, the administration says that installing locks on the dorm is a liability issue. Students are concerned that having the locks will take away from Kenyon's character and its trusting environment. Instead of just whining about it, students held a protest when the trustees came to campus to discuss the locks. Lately it seems like there have been more issues than ever with the administration. There's been turnover in some of the higher-up offices, and I suppose that naturally you'll get people who are unhappy with the "new regime." I think the biggest problem with it is that sometimes it doesn't seem like the administration really talks to the students or informs us about its plans until after those plans have been put in place. Kenyon was also in a news in 2004, when students stood in line until 3am to vote in the presidential elections. The village had only allotted two voting machines for students and residents, and some people stood in line for ten hours. That's a sign of Kenyon students' devotion. I went to a high school which doesn't send many students to liberal arts colleges. When I tell people from Euclid that I go to Kenyon, they usually say "What? You go to school in Africa?" (Amusingly, Kenyon's bookstore sells a shirt that says "Kenyon is not near Uganda.") However, Kenyon is pretty highly regarded among liberal arts colleges and the academic world in general. On campus, I like to hang out at Middle Ground, the cafe/coffeehouse. It's a great place to study or meet up with friends, and they make incredible breakfasts.

Because Kenyon is an expensive, private, liberal arts college, it's mostly made up wealthy white kids. The "minority" percentage of students is about 14%. However, we have the Unity House which does lots of LGBT programs, the Snowden Multicultural Center, Black Student Union, etc. There are black and white kids in the gospel choir. Students hail from all over the country and a number of foreign countries to, and I'm willing to guess that about the half students come from private schools and half from public high schools. There's definitely some snobbery. For instance, I had a friend here whose dad is the vice president of a major company. Once when we were in his car, my friend asked me what I thought of his car. I said, "It's really nice," and it was. He actually said, "Yeah, this is what happens when your family does very well for itself." However, most people don't shove it in your face if they've got money. Personally, I went to a public school with 2,200 kids. Fights in the halls were common. You don't find too many students from that kind of high school here. I think the people who feel most out of place here are the ones who barricade themselves in their rooms and don't make an effort to get to know people. People aren't just going to come to you-- you have to go to them. At the dining hall, most people sit with the people who live on their hall. I don't mind eating meals by myself sometimes; it's not seen as weird. Students are very politically active. They're overwhelmingly democratic and liberal. I'm sure there were people who voted for Bush in 2004, but I only knew one person and he didn't make it common knowledge.

While I think that people are certainly accepting of different kinds of people here, everyone still has his or her own clique. A big group of kids who lived on my dorm hall freshman year still hang out and live together now, as seniors. Same for the fraternities and sororities: while most are inclusive and have open parties, each Greek organization definitely has a stereotype. The Betas are jocks, the Zetas are Barbies, and the ADs (Alpha Delta Phi) are the gay/Jewish/stoner frat. The laid-back stereotype is true of most people. Most students don't talk about their work constantly, but I know a few people who are workaholics.

Professors here are great. You'll never have a class taught by a "teaching assistant." Not only are professors around for office hours, but they're always willing to meet with you another time if you can't make those hours. With most of my professors, I feel like I can go in just to chat; I don't necessarily have to go to talk about a paper. I enjoy seminars more than lectures because they're smaller and discussion-based. I get to know people better in seminars, and that always includes getting to know the professor well, too. It's expected, and common, to participate in class dicussions. Frankly, when I meet a quiet and shy student I sometimes wonder how he or she ended up at Kenyon. Freshman year, I took a seminar in the Integrated Program in Humane Studies (which combines classics, history, and philsophy). We had great discussions, and at the end of the semester the professor invited us to his house for a croquet party. That was one of my favorite classes, followed by a 400-level English seminar on James Joyce. Students definitely get into intellectual conversations outside class, whether it's over dinner or in allstu (all-student, entire student body) emails. I got to know my English professor, Kim, really well when I went abroad. She was the resident director for the Kenyon-Exeter program for English majors, and the group of twelve students spent the entire year studying at the University of Exeter in England. Kim was a teacher, a stand-in mother, and a travel guide all in one. She saved us from dorm rat infestations, got us to 17 different plays, and put up with us without complaint. Study abroad in general is really popular here-- about 60% of the junior class goes abroad. Students are generally non-competitive. While people may commiserate over how much work they have to do, they don't compare grades. I don't know what GPAs my friends have. The academic requirements are great in that there is no single class you HAVE to take. If you wanted to go through college without taking an English class, you could do that here. We have distribution requirements, meaning that you just have to have a unit (two semester-long classes or one full-year class) of credit in each of four areas: social sciences, natural sciences, fine arts, and humanities. There's a Quantitative Reasoning (QR) requirement which requires you to take one semester-long course in something math/science related. Students who aren't into math and science can take courses like statistics, economics, Solar Energy, Science Fiction, or Surprises at Infinity. I'm not a fan of the language requirement (one full year of a language course). You can pass the requirement by scoring a 3 or higher on the subject's AP exam or passing a placement test at the beginning of the school year. I took four years of French in high school but apparently didn't learn enough, because I couldn't even pass out of intro French when I took the placement test here. So I took a year of Latin, which I was dreading. It ended up being okay-- it was a lot of memorization, but it was somewhat interesting. I was pretty much forced to take statistics this year to fulfill my QR requirement, and I've never studied that much for any other class. I was so relieved to pass the class, especially since sophomore year I had to drop economics 2/3 of the way through the semester. In econ, I understood the concepts but would get a test and not know what to do. The professor made it more complicated than it needed to be, and often half the class would go to his office hours for help. You don't have to get to Kenyon knowing what you'll major in. In fact, being undecided is encouraged because you can take a variety of classes and figure out what your passions are. You don't have to declare a major until fall of junior year. As an English major, I'm part of the largest major. There are about 75 English majors this year (compared to, say, four music majors). There are usually some really interesting topics (I'm loving my James Joyce seminar), but the unfortunate thing about having so many English majors is the competition to get into particular classes. The registration system isn't the best. This year, a few English majors actually spent the night in a tent outside the English cottage so they could have the first spots in line for class registration the next morning. It's discouraging to get shut out of a class in that way. Kenyon makes you think critically, and no matter what major you're in you'll get great training on being a good writer. I think these are skills that will be useful no matter what field I go into. The unfortunate thing about a liberal arts education is that the degree may not be as specific as some jobs will require you to have. For example, I want to be a high school English teacher. Kenyon doesn't have an education major, so after college I will have to go to grad school for a master's degree and get certified.

The a capella groups are probably the most popular and prestigious student groups. While there are about seven groups total, the three most popular are the Kokosingers (all male), the Chasers (co-ed), and the Owl Creeks (all female). Rosse Hall, the auditorium, is always packed for their concerts. These groups are very hard to get into because they only take a couple new members every year, and there's always some hurt egos/feelings. People go to events even if they don't know anyone in the club or play. There's always something going on here, and you often have you choose between a couple events. Academic departments and the student lectureships committee bring lots of different speakers to campus. Some are more widely attended than others. This fall, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. spoke and EVERYBODY went to that. At the beginning of the school year there's an activities fair, at which the village center closes down the streets so that organizations and clubs can set up tables. Students can find out more about clubs and sign up for auditions. In February is Phling, an all-campus semi-formal. It's usually held in the Great Hall of Peirce Hall, which has been compared to the great hall in Harry Potter movies. Student bands and cover bands play, and there's a "casino" set up, too. Halloween weekend, the fraternities throw a huge party in Old Kenyon (a dorm). Everybody goes. Shock Your Momma is thrown by the men's swim team if they win the national title (they've won for about 25 years consecutively). At Shock Your Momma you'll probably see some naked people as well as some wearing t-shirts that say "Bush supporter." Summer Send-Off is an all-campus outdoor dance and music party. The allstu (all student email) is used for soliciting a ride, as a lost and found, or to spout opinions on whatever is going on politically or in the news. It's common for people to find rides to the airport using the allstu, and often they end up driving with people they've never met before. If someone's going up to Cleveland for the weekend, he'll often send an email the week before asking if anyone wants a ride. Most students leave their doors open. Freshman year, I lived in a hall in which people were always walking by. My roommate and I left our door open, and people popped in and out all the time. Socially, I didn't find my niche until this year (my senior year). I've always had friends, but not a close group that I felt I could count on. Freshman year, I tried to find that niche and hung around with the people who lived on my hall. But those people didn't turn out to be my good friends. I wish I'd made more of an effort to get to know people in all of my classes early on in college, because it's harder to do later. Two of my best friends now are girls who went to Exeter with me last year; we got to know each other over in England. Another is a girl who lived on my hall freshman year but whom I didn't talk to a lot until this year. The other is a junior, and we met through her boyfriend (who used to date my old roommate-- awkward!). I like Greek life here because it's not an overwhelming presence. It's there if you want it, but you don't have to be involved. I'm not in a sorority, but I know a handful of guys who are in fraternities. Freshman year I went to some of the big, loud fraternity parties. I didn't have much fun because there was bad beer, I didn't know a lot of people, and it seemed like forced fun. Wednesday is a big party night, for some reason, besides the usual Friday and Saturday nights. Now that I'm a senior and can go out to the local bars with friends, we do that every couple weeks. This year, I've gone to lots of small parties that friends have thrown in their dorm rooms/apartments. I like those a lot more than the bigger parties because they're more personal and I feel more comfortable. There are better opportunities for conversation, too. I like to get together to watch movies with friends one of our dorms, as well. People who don't drink usually hang out in smaller group settings or with groups like Hillel or other clubs they're in. When you get sick of being on campus, you can drive to Columbus with friends and go to the mall or a restaurant. There's not much to do in Mount Vernon (the city next to Gambier), but you can catch the free shuttle into town if you want to go to Walmart or eat Chinese. Most people stay on campus on the weekends; there's not a mass exodus to get off campus because there are always tons of events going on.

When it comes to the student body as a whole, there's the stereotype that as students, we're non-competitive and not quick to form cliques. Also, that we're laid-back.

Kenyon College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.