Gambier, OH
Kenyon College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Kenyon College

Jerry

The best thing about Kenyon is getting to know people so well, so quickly. This can be a good thing and a bad thing. I'd change its location and size. The size, to me, is stifling. I think that it is too small, but coming from a large city, this has been quite an adjustment for me. People tend to react positively--if they know what Kenyon is--once I tell them where I attend. I spend most of my time either in my dorm, at the dinning hall, or at the library. There's no college town. The campus is the college town.

kenyon has been a bit of a disappointment for me. Academically speaking (keep in mind--ive only been here a semester!) and socially (repetitive and limited). there is almost no political activeness on campus that i've seen. people here are very friendly, but can be fake. i've found that kenyon is a bit more high school-y than i expected, maybe that comes with the size and the location, but don't expect people to be super-mature and to have completely outgrown high school. getting off campus is virtually impossible unless you want to go to the local wal mart for an hour. if you consider yourself a city person, don't come here. its SO isolated. I cannot stress this enough. You must love nature and be willing to stay in one place for months on end.

I found a lot of the students to be "cerebral", and there certainly are the hipsters and outdoorsy type, there's also many other types of kids that roam the campus.

There is virtually NO racial or socio-economic diversity. This is quite bothersome to me, but it does not seem to affect anyone else. The minority and international students group together, not because they're unwelcome, but because they feel out of place. Everyone seems to be liberal-leaning. And most students know what goes on in the world, they just are, frankly, quite apathetic. Many Kenyon students are from cities in the West and East Coast and are proud of it. Different types of students interact, but there is a clear divide with the jocks. And everyone is secretly judging each other.

Professors know my name, but keep their distance. My least favorite class has been into to philosophy, but that's a personal opinion (and the teacher was TERRIBLE). class participation is less common than i expected. kenyon students rarely have intellectual conversations outside of class, this has been my experience anyway. the level of intellectualism outside of class has been extremely disappointing for me. not to say that kids aren't smart--they just have other interests that consume their free time when not studying.

the frisbee team has become more popular, along with frats. athletic events are not popular at all. the dating scene is almost non existent, with the occasional drunken hook up that happens to turn into something more. I met my closest friends in my dorm. people party every weekend and every wednesday. if you don't drink, don't expect there to be much else to do, because the social life is strongly centered around getting drunk every weekend.

They're hipsters/cerebral/outdoorsy.

courtney

An education. I know how to think critically, read anything and be able to understand it. I have learned how to approach topics I know nothing about with an open mind so that I can better understand them. I feel like I could be thrown into almost any situation or job and be able to figure it out.

The campus community. That I really got to know my professors and that they cared about what me. Actually had a class held everyweek in my professors house. That I got an education, that I feel like I got my moneys worth. That all in all it was a great place and I had a great time. Would go back in a heart beat.

Not to be afraid to get involved with different activites and to take new classes. To really embrace what it means to go to a liberal arts college. To take a wide variety of classes and to learn to do what I love, not what is expected of me. College is great because you finally get to study what you want and talior your classes to your personality.

Eliza

Although people say that college will be the best four years of your life, the first semester will not be easy. Do not assume the ?freshman blues?, loneliness, homesickness, and doubt will just pass you by. At times you will feel helpless, and even if they say everyone is going through the same thing, it will not always seem apparent. You will read more than you ever have, do homework every weekend, discover every school is a party school, meet people from all backgrounds and deal with people who have always lived privileged lives. But eventually you will find people who appreciate you for who you are-who will have hysterically in depth conversations about time travel and philosophy at the lunch table- but it will be a process, a slow one at that. You will have to stand up for yourself, defend your rights in front of ornery professors, some you will hate, some you will love, some will invite you to dinner. Talk to people, find a support network, have hope and faith in yourself. Never give up. And even if the dessert is always guaranteed to be better than the real food, don?t eat it everyday.

The worst thing about Kenyon is that I am so far away from my home. Although I believe that going to school out of state is very important in terms of developing and growing as a person and learning so many life lessons, its just hard. If I ever really need my friends or my mom, the closest I can get to them is by phone or computer. Similarly, its hard to make friends because some people clump together instantly, leaving shy people like me to fend for themselves and work much harder to find a niche.

The most frustrating thing about Kenyon is that although its English department is prestigious and well established, it is not modest. Many of the professors make it seem that students should be honored to be in their classes and at times give no sympathy. It is almost like an exclusive club with a very low acceptance rate. Although many professors are very supportive, it only takes a few professors and English majors alike who are too hoity toity to make it a rather hostile environment when it should be welcoming and nurturing at such a small liberal arts school.

Mark

Cold and isolated in the winter and only decent in social life, but incredibly satisfying and inspiring in terms of intellectual growth and achievement.

Don't ;et a school sell itself to you. Choosing a college is about finding the best fit, not the most renowned.

intelligent, emotionally aware, quirky, outgoing, at least semi-artistic, open-minded, liberal

Briana

Because Kenyon is small, you really get a strong sense of community. The small population also allows students to form deeper bonds not only with each other, but with the faculty and staff aswell. When walking down middle path (a ten foot wide path that runs the length of the College), it is not uncommon for one to know the majority of the people they pass, including professors. Even if you don't know the person by name it is almost a guarantee that you have seen them around campus before or that you know someone else that knows them.

When looking for the right college, apply to and visit as many schools as possible. This may seem time consuming and expensive, but if you are really concerned about finding the right school for you, I truly believe that this is the best way to do it. You cannot rely on websites, or college counselors, or even friends and family to figure out what school would be a good fit for you. You have to experience them for yourself because in the end it is your decision. Also, Do not be to bias when picking out your list of schools to visit. You would be surprised how different the actual school that you choose is from the ideal school that you thought you wanted. I myself thought that I wanted a fairly large school, near a city and in some place that is predominantly warm. And out of the 14 schools that I applied to, I chose is an extremely small one in rural Ohio and I could not be happier. Keep an open mind throughout the entire process. The right school for you is out there and YOU will know it when you find it.

The small population at Kenyon is both a gift and a curse. On the one hand it allows you to really bond with other members of the community, but on the the other, the small community can, at times, be limiting. Because we are small community, located in a remote location we forget how "real" the "real world" can be. We sometimes forget that greater societies don't function like the society at Kenyon. The students refer to it as living in the Kenyon bubble. However, as far as I know, people don't have problems adjusting when they graduate.

Katelyn

My classmates were incredibly intelligent, interesting, and talented people of all walks of life.

My advice is to choose the college that speaks to you; the one that makes you feel at home. Apart from being your school for the next several years, it will also be the place where you live. You must feel that you will be able to flourish there, that there will be opportunities to better yourself and expand your world. Having had the time to reflect on my years in college, I have found myself evaluating my experience and wondering whether or not I got all I could out of my 4 years at Kenyon. When I was on my way to undergrad my mom told me to make sure I attended as many lectures and presentations as I could. My advice is to follow hers. Be as involved as possible, so as not to miss out on the benefits your school has to offer. At times they may be hidden, but worth seeking out. In college you begin to be responsible for your own education and listen most intently to internal motivation, and that is something that should not be taken lightly.

I wish i had been more aware of all the different opportunities there are for students, such as guest lecturers and special performances.

Jamie

Kenyon's REEEEEEEALLY small. But in spite of that, I often see a bunch of people I have never seen before, which is always nice but very confusing. Theres more Kenyonites than Gambier-ites, so I don't think it's really a college town. It's more like a college nook. It's quaint.

Kenyon food is disgusting. Terribly seasoned, always overcooked, and covered in laxative oil. You take a bite of the food and you don't know whether to shit or puke. The administration is also super grimey, and as of late, have been trying to destroy the party scene. It's absolutley ridiculous we're in the middle of nowhere and the people in the surrounding towns are either obese or addicted to crystal meth. Kenyon is also known for having really friendly people. This is true. usually when you see someone on middle path, even if you don't know them, you say hello or nod or make eye contact. However, this friendliness is quite conducive to spinelessness, and many Kenyonites are rather passive-aggressive. For example, if someone is making too much noise in the library, people will complain about it on allstu instead of turning around and telling you to shut it. Kenyon is also known for having busted girls. There's some cute boys, but many of them are pussies. But they mean well.

Kenyon is so white that there's only one black dude on the basketball team. Mostly upper middle class, but you find people from other socio-economic groups. Everybody mixes and migles, and snobbery is looked down upon. There are, however, those minority students that for the most part keep to themselves, like a little "support group." Kenyon students are rather unkempt. People often go to class looking like they just rolled out of bed. Sweatpants and a northface jacket are like the Kenyon uniform. It's so disappointing. However, there are pockets of people with impeccable or interesting style, which is always refreshing and a joy to see. Theres also those troupes of people who think they have style, but they just rock American Apparel all the time, and ALL look alike.

Kenyon's academics are great. Most of my classes have been challenging and provocative, though there have been a few that have bored me to tears. (Don't take Early African History, for the love of all things sacred.) The professors for the most part are fabulous, I've even become homies with some of them. They're extremely friendly, always remember your name, and I find myself often stopping to chat with some of them when I'm bopping around campus. Kenyon students do have intellectual conversations outside of class that can be interesting. However, because Kenyon is now a new ivy, some students fancy themselves Rhodes scholars and shit can get a little pretentious. ESPECIALLY WITH ENGLISH MAJORS, many of whom feel that they are future Chaucers or Faulkners. Some conversations you overhear, or may be apart of will induce a lot of eye-rolling, but for the most part, people present their arguments in ways that aren't so irritating. Students aren't really competitive.

Athletic events are a joke. Freshman year Homecoming weekend was on the same weekend as reading days-- when many students leave campus and go home. Theatre is a big deal. Kenyon has a great theatre programme and the theatre kids are VERY much into honing their craft. Really, they are on the ill thespian jumpoff. Parties at Kenyon involve heavy drinking. When the beer runs out, the party's over. period. Fraternity life is quite present, as they pretty much control the party scene. Parties are free, and every weekend, without fail, some fraternity is throwing a party. Be it registered of unregistered. These parties can be fun, but sometimes the music choices can be questionable. Party nights are Fridays, Saturdays and Wednesdays. Wednesdays are serious business. There's always a party, and sometimes the parties can be more live on Wednesdays than on the weekend. It's weird, but it's the perfect day to get silly. Every year we have the winter formal Philander Phling, Shock your momma, and Summer sendoff. At all three events, people get really shitty.

Ellen

Kenyon is a place for you to learn about yourself surrounded people who genuinely want the best for you, whether he/she is a faculty member, student, or town resident.

Students and parents: close all those pamphlets and really take a look at the campuses, the people, and the courses offered at the schools you are looking at. After a while, every college seems to be telling you the same thing about their school. Those tree lined paths and brick buildings easily blend together. The truly important part of the process is what a pamphlet can't tell you: It's about stepping foot somewhere and feeling comfortable. It should be a place where you want to run into the library and nap on the quad at the same time. So before you get distracted by SAT numbers, glossy photos, and admission percentages, I urge all students and parents to emerse yourselves in each school and discover what a pamphlet can't tell you from real students who have first hand experience, and were exactly where you are a few years back.

How open everyone on campus is. Our school's social network functions like none I've ever seen before: Freshmen are not only allowed at parties, they are invited, and welcomed once they get there. There isn't a greek party that isn't open to the entire campus, which really changes social life at Kenyon. Plus, no matter what circle someone runs in, everyone chose Kenyon for a similar reason, which means you meet friendly, genuine people practically everywhere you go.

Kenyon is intense in all aspects; the education is amazing and the extra curricular activities are very diverse.

Don't go just anywhere. To really enjoy college and learn a lot you need to pick somewhere where you feel connected. If you are not sure if you like a college or university rethink your choice to go there.

An Ecclectic person. You have to be diverse in your likes and ideas.

Ariel

Beautiful, community-centered environment that is learning-driven.

Beautiful, community-centered environment that is learning-driven.

There is a strong sense of community that fosters the pursuit of knowledge for personal fulfillment rather than careerism.

Go with personal fit, not prestige, and ALWAYS visit the campus.

Kenyon College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.