Gambier, OH
Kenyon College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Kenyon College

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

Everyone knows everyone. That can be good and it can be bad; it's certainly very intense--but we're a school that's very into community, into our collective history, into keeping Kenyon "Kenyon" and being active within the community as well as in the outside world. There's a hell of a lot of activism, political and otherwise, and it's an enormous inspiration. There are negative things about any environment, and believe me, Kenyon drives me bat-shit insane sometimes...but one thing you can't say about this school is that we don't care.

The college experience is in the real world, not on a piece of paper--apply accordingly! Visit, visit, visit--and not just for the tour-and-info-session routine. Stay overnight, visit the classes, talk to the students (not just the tour guide--while they're usually pretty honest, remember that higher education is a business, and it's the guide's job to make sales). Look at the dorm rooms--those aren't just beds; they're your home for four years. Check out the social scene and the dining options. Get in tune with the atmosphere of the school and the personality of the students. College is an academic institution, yes, but one of the most difficult things to understand before going to college is that this isn't just school anymore; it's every aspect of your day-to-day life. And I cannot stress this enough: visit a variety of types of campuses--even if you think you know what you want--and see how you feel. No campus is for everyone, and every campus will not be for you; it's important to go in with an open mind and find a good personal fit.

When it comes to tolerance, Kenyon is all talk. Theoretically, it's cool to discuss different ways of thinking--as long as you can back it up with the name of a prestigious philosopher. You can even make some intellectually outgoing statements--as long as popular opinion supports you. But when it counts, students don't want to view other ideas or lifestyles with anything resembling open-mindedness. There's a tendency to over-intellectualize in compensation for the inability to understand differences without judging. If you do something truly controversial, prepare to be the character-assassination of the week.

Alexandra

When I applied to schools I was very apathetic about the entire process. I did not want to get my heart set on one school without knowing for sure that I would be able to go there. I didn't want to be disappointed. I applied early decision to my top choice school because I just wanted to be done with the application process - not because I loved the school. I ended up being deferred to regular admission, meaning that I would have to continue to apply to different schools. I applied to nine schools total and was accepted into 5. I narrowed my top picks down to three and then visited the campuses. Nothing could have helped me make my decision more than visiting the schools. When people ask me why I chose the school I did, I can't come up with a concrete reason - the school just felt right. As cheesy as it sounds, you'll know when you find the right school for you.

The community at Kenyon is the best - there is always someone willing to help you out.

It's general awesomeness... no really, I brag about the Kenyon experience.

My classmates are eager to learn, attentive, cultured, and driven.

My classmates are eager to learn, attentive, cultured, and driven.

There is a strong sense of community on our campus that strongly appealed me that I did not find at the other schools I applied to. In addition to the sense of community, the professors seemed genuinly interested in the lives and interests of thier students.

My advice to parent and/or students about finding the right college and making the most of the college experience is to be active. By active I mean engage in conversation with the faculty at the institution where you are looking, ask them questions you may have and actively listen to thier responses. As a prospective student attend a class while visiting and ask current students about thier experience at thier school. In addition to attending class, have an overnight with a current student so you can experience the dorm life and social scenes of the school to see if they are right for you. To make the most out of your college experience while attending, you must put yourself out there and try new things; attend a meeting for a social organization you are interested in, try out for an athletic team you may want to participate in, and most importantly, find something that makes you happy.

Allison

I would say that after completing the maximum amount of research (perhaps with your high school guidance counselor), the most important thing you can do to find the right college is going to visit the campus, meet the students/professors, and eat in the dining hall. By visiting the college campus, you can FEEL the life (or lack thereof) of the environment - the smells, sounds, sights, people - and that special vibe that either tells you, "Nope, this just doesn't fit me" or "YES! I could really feel at home here!" If there's something that just doesn't feel right, even if you can't put your finger on it, don't go to that school. You want to be motivated to make friends, succeed academically, and live there. Once you find that special fit, get involved in everything and anything that interests you! Filling up your time with exciting clubs, organizations, and projects will not only foster lifelong friendships and passions for finding happiness, but may also even help you find a career path that you can make your own. Most importantly, make choices you won't regret. LIfe is too short, enjoy every minute!

I think the wors thing about my school is a heavy emphasis on the drinking culture at Kenyon. Since Kenyon is in a small town and fraternities/sororities are housed in residential halls with everyone else, their culture becomes Kenyon's culture.

Someone who enjoys going to class and interacting with their peers. Kenyon is a very intimate, close-knit community and so you really can't be a stranger. Kenyon students also like to get involved in many extracurricular activities, so creative minds are important for making your mark on campus.

forest

Try to avoid going to a school for its reputation. Try some overnight visits, and see in which atmosphere you feel most at home.

I feel I am not on the same level acdemically as most of my classmates. I also feel that my grades do not truly reflect my knowledge, which maybe leads to why I feel I am out of my league.

There are a lot of snobby people. If they are not snobby then they can off so to the locals.

Your college should just feel right. For me, the knowledge of which school to matriculate at came with the first step on campus. You can't fail at a place where you feel completely at home every time you return.

People are kind of fickle as far as their commitment to their ideas and projects outside of class. It's hard to get a lot of people consistently interested in something that's not this weekend's party.

Kenyon's a "New Ivy" school, and we work hard to keep that title. Classes are incredibly demanding, but, at the end of the day, you come away feeling like you've really been forced to learn something. Which is what we're all here for.

George

Each college has its own unique defining characteristis that make that school special. It is important to speak with the students at a potential college choice in a laid back atmosphere inorder to learn the most about the school. Experiences vary from school to school and it is very important to know what collegiate experience you would like to have inorder to find the best school for you. Although the academic experience of college is important, it is not only factor that should be taken into consideration when choosing a school. If the campus life outside academics is not appealing you could loose a significant part of the college experience.

I think the best thing about Kenyon is that the value of our education is going up. I also enjoy the smaller classroom sizes because you are an individual to the professors and not just a number.

Andrew

My school is most known for it's professors; read above.

My school is most known for it's professors; read above.

Visit all of the school you are interested in and stay over night, also, apply to lot's of schools and try to visit them all. The more options the better you will feel, and the less likely you will be stuck going somewhere you don't want to,

The professors are the best thing about Kenyon; they are caring, knowledgable, and genuinly interested in your passions and growth as both a person and an individual.

Lindsay

Kenyon is best known for it's English Department and the Kenyon Review. Most people have never heard of the school, but those who have respect the college's rigorous academics.

Kenyon is a very close-knit environment with a lot of supportive people. In addition, the students can be kind of quirky, but in a good way.

Mostly eager to learn, with some only interested in partying and being irresponsible.

Swimming, English, Paul Newman, Bill Watterson, the Amish, Old Kenyon

To parents, I would say to trust your child's judgement. Encourage them to explore their opportunities, but know that ultimately they, and not their college, will determine the quality of their education. To students, I would remind you that the right college for you coming out of high school may not be the right college for you four years later: that's okay, and in fact can be preferable as a sign of growth and change. Take advantage of the opportunities and people around you, explore the unexplored, and ultimately, trust yourself.

Kenyon College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.