Gambier, OH
Kenyon College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Kenyon College

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

The view from Caples Hall, a mostly-Sophmores dorm

The view from Caples Hall, a mostly-Sophmores dorm

Describe the dorms.

One of four apartment options on campus, the senior-only Tafts are located on the south end of campus.

Official events take place on Ransom Lawn; students mingle on South Quad, shown here

South/Upperclass Quad, home to Leonard Hall, Old Kenyon, and Hanna Hall dorms and frats/sororities.

Samuel Mather Hall (psychology), Higley Hall (biology), Tomsich Hall (chemistry), and Hayes Hall (physics and math)

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

A grassy space where students study and play Frisbee in the academic area of campus, being set up for Summer Send Off

Students playing golf with tennis balls on the Science Quad.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

The main dining hall, located in the center of campus.

Describe a typical weekend.

Students hanging out at a Kenyon party

Middle Path and the academic buildings at 11am, when students are going to and from class, passing Ransom & Pierce.

Middle Path and the academic buildings at 11am, when students are going to and from class.

The largest freshman dorm, located across from the Freshman Quad. The dorm is air-conditioned and has a kitchen.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Olin Library, where many students choose to study

Describe the dorms.

Lewis Hall, a dorm on the freshman quad

One of four songs sung during Senior Sing, an end-of-year Kenyon tradition.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

An interview with a Kenyon student

Interview with a Kenyon student

The Freshman Quad is home to Lewis Hall, Norton Hall, and Gund Hall, all co-ed by hallway.

A female student tells us her favorite movie and class, as well as what she does when she has an hour to kill.

A male student tells us his favorite movie and class, as well as what he does when he has an hour to kill.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

The stage at Commencement 2008

A short video of a room in Caples Residence Hall

Short video of Caples Residence Hall

Laura

About Kenyon. Something that I absolutely adore about Kenyon is that it is so well organised. I mean academically speaking in particular. I came from an IB school, a United World College in fact, and one thing I hated with a passion was the IB's absolute inflexibility with anything. EVER. At Kenyon, it is so obvious that a professor teaches a subject exactly as they want to. There doesn't seem to be any interference from above, and the freedom for them to give students what they are passionate about, makes it so easy to maintain an engaged class environment. I have never, in both my completed years at Kenyon, had one class that I didn't adore. The Anthropology department is my baby now, and I found it just by going to an academic fair in orientation, and later on remembering one of the professors who seemed like fun. Now I am a junior and just got back from Kenyon's Honduras field program for Anthropology, and it has changed my life. In addition to academics being just wonderful (in my opinion), I love all the other staff members too. The dean of admissions is my best friend and we gossip and go out together, all of the directors and high positions seem to be women (yes!), the dining hall staff are so friendly and really appreciate talking to students and making friends (if only more students would take that initiative), the staff of all the offices I have ever entered (oh the accounting ladies are lovely), the health Centre is well run and I have always found that they have provided for me in every way I needed, the same goes for the Counseling Centre, where there is a lot of support. No matter the problem, whether it be alcoholism, drugs, sexual abuse, any kind of abuse, depression, over-stress, or what have you, there is something set up to help. It is all very personal too. It is so easy to get to know all of the staff who make the place run as smoothly as it does, and when you do, they are always so happy to do you little favours (like going easy on you for getting caught with something naughty in your room for example) and be as helpful as possible. There is so much to get involved in if you just give it a chance. I do a lot of work with the environmentalist and sustainability organisations, and the local food movement in Knox County is HUGE. Kenyon has a large portion of local food in its dining hall (ALL meat and chicken), and with the PEAS organisation parading itself all over, this is becoming something people are more aware of. Walking down middle path, people greet each other. Kenyon is small enough that you can be a well-known face if you so choose, but it is small enough that you can disappear off the radar for a while too if needs be (trust me, I know). I am sure it is not the place for everybody, and it took me a while to settle in, but I adore it now. I babysit for my advisor's loud and gorgeous little boy, I can talk on the phone to Jennifer Delahunty about anything, I exchange gifts with the Gund Gal's (dining hall ladies), I gossip with the ladies from downstairs in admissions where I work, and generally I just enjoy softly observing people going about their business in peace.

There is a good support network for LGBT folk at Kenyon. There is a special interest house where the organisation has a base, and where they can meet etc., and people on campus are for the most part really accepting and there is no separation. There was one incidence since I have been there where someone was ridiculed for their sexual orientation, but that was an isolated incident and had other facets besides sexuality that lead up to it. Wealthier students are obviously the majority, but like I said earlier, I was surprised by just how many people were far from rich, and working hard to maintain themselves on scholarship or with loans. To classes, dress is very VERY casual! And yes, students are very politically aware. There are a lot of opportunities to see speakers who come to school talking about different political, social, or environmental issues, and there is often a very good turnout.

Some yes, others not so much. Sure, there are a lot of wealthy students at Kenyon, it goes with the territory. But I imagine most people there have the mental capacity to thrive, although there are a lot of less driven people to counter those who are engaged. I have seen some preppy kids, but I have also met a lot of students who, like me, are there with substantial financial aid of scholarships, who worked their little bums off to get there, and appreciate the sacrifices their families may have made for that to happen. People do drink, and yes they drink a lot, but show me a college campus that doesn't have that and I will eat my hat. As for the abundance of drugs, I have heard cocaine has it's presence, but I have never encountered it in any way shape or form. I guess if someone were to want to enter that circle, they would have to know where to look, because from where i stand, it is well hidden. As for diversity, that is improving a lot. Kenyon is working to get more international students (like myself, I am from New Zealand), and succeeding at that. Yes one will see a vast array of different white US citizens strolling the grounds, but they come from all states and several walks of life. People just need to celebrate difference rather than being the sheep that follow the shepherd.

I already wrote about this above, but I can elaborate on some things. Yes, all professors know your name, and class participation is very common, and encouraged. Professors office hours are always open and I often see students milling around just chatting and asking questions. Professors and students are friends as much as they are in professional relationships, and I love this so much, because that is what makes it so efficient! When you participate in class and also get to know your professor as a person through conversations out of class, or taking part in an organisation they are involved in, it makes classes so much more fun, and makes it easier for them to grade you I think. Imagine it, they can construct their own syllabus, teach it as they wish, assign the assignments that they think are the most interesting, and give the grades they think people deserve and have worked for. That is freedom that high school teachers generally don't have, which is why I think liberal arts-ness is so perfect for someone like me. There is such a huge list of classes, and mostly all of them are open to anyone (except high level ones with prerequisites). People are SO SO encouraged to take a wide variety of classes (but I think that too many students don't make any huge leaps for fear of not doing well), and it is such a fantastic idea! Really, I took classical mythology, and before I think I knew who Zeus was from the disney movie, but now I read Ovid in my free time. The academics at Kenyon are my favourite part about it. I am raving now, but only because I really want people to know this.

Theatre is wonderful. There is a lot of opportunities to take part in a production even if you aren't involved in the drama department. Shows are put on by individual students in the smaller student operated theatre called "the black box." These are easy to audition for, very relaxed, and a lot of fun! The theatre department tself is a little more political and intimidation - for someone who just wants to participate, it is hard to get in over serious theatre majors who know the faculty directors etc etc. There are a lot of traditions, like Phling, which is like a spring dance (spring fling - but I am not from the US so I have no idea what that is), the bug dress up Halloween party which EVERYBODY goes to and is so much fun, other themed parties take place throughout the year too, and loads of semi-formals for the different greek organisations. I personally am not much of a partyer or a drinker, so i doubt I am the best person to ask about that. I think there is too much partying and drinking, but of COURSE I am going to say that! I have already talked about some of the different campus organisations, but there are so many more, like the women's centre, the different singing groups and musical groups/bands, film clubs, political clubs, ballroom dancing, martial arts, etc etc. I really enjoy going to the movies in the athletic centre on Fridays. There is a cinema-like theatre where the film society play movies every Friday evening. There are plenty of dry events that are held on weekends too.

I have heard several stereotypes mentioned, most of them apply to all "private liberal artsy" colleges. That people there are all rich and preppy, that a lot of people are only accepted because they are generation students or because their families donate a lot, that there is a lot of drug usage, that people drink a lot, that people don't study, that people study too much, that there is not a lot of diversity, that it is a "New IVY" and has a huge swollen head about it.

Adrian

It's a little small, definitely too small for some people, also too isolated for some people. the campus can get boring if you are unable to create your own fun. however, because it is so isolated there is a really strong community and a lot to do on campus. the food is not great, i'll admit that, though I'm certainly picky. The administration is small and approachable, the professors are great and extremely connected to the student body. I spend a lot of time working (I am a studio art major) but I also have plenty of time to spend with friends and thus develop myself on more than one level.

Seriously diverse. Maybe not financially or racially, but certainly in terms of lifestyle, personality and values. You could spend a Saturday night so many different ways I can't even imagine. A student concert, a rager in someone's apartment, a frat party, the library, wine and poker at someone's apartment, camping at the environmental center, swimming, running through cornfields, going to the arts center in Columbus for a show, the possibilities are endless.

there really are none, and for the very few that do exist, there are too many exceptions for the stereotypes to hold much water.

At kenyon, it is inconceivable that your teacher may not know your name. The school is small, the classes are small, and the professors give a shit. I have spent time at professor's houses and of course talking to them outside of class about work or not. Since we are in the middle of nowhere, the professors live not more than 10 minutes away so you see quite a lot of them and their families, it's really nice. Of course academics extend beyond the classroom--really what's the point of spending four years at school if you stop caring about your work the second you leave the classroom. But probably you could find some people at Kenyon who disagree with that, it's a very diverse campus and people find a myriad of ways in which to live.

I don't know what groups are the most popular, I only know what I do. I"ve spent some time working with campus literary magazines but for the most part I run ArtClub which organizes and puts up student art shows around campus. I've also spent time working with the screenprinting club which is sort of underground at the moment, but we print for different campus organizations, or really just making whatever we want for fun. Frats are important if you want them to be, honestly I never go to the parties but certainly enough people do to make a life of that, though of course the other possibilities really are endless. If I were awake at 2am on a Tuesday I'd either be writing a paper, camping in the woods, swimming in the kokosing or running around with a friend, maybe building something.

it's hard to stereotype because the campus is so diverse (in terms of personalities, not race). At my previous college (Reed in Portland OR) the student body was so homogeneous that the term "reedie" had a specific meaning, whereas at Kenyon there is nothing like "kenyonite" because the term would make no sense when there is no prototypical kenyon personality traits.

Matt

Kenyon is amazing. It gives you so many opportunities to take classes that you normally wouldn't. For instance I came there thinking I wanted to be pre-med but now I'm in the honors economics program. Also you can be friends with everyone, including the faculty who are so nice. They want to teach you but more importantly for you to find the desire to learn within yourself. The campus is beautiful and everyone seems to be happy all the time (excluding maybe 2 weeks in february(ohio winters).

Most everyone gets along. There are a few assholes who get that rep on campus but they don't do any real harm and everyone is very accepting. Though if you are politically conservative it is not a bad idea to keep that to yourself.

TAMMY GOSCIAL IS A BITCH! (she is the Dean of Students but I can't imagine for too much longer)

Most of the stereotypes are accurate. I would say that the girls are better than the stereotype and that people are quirky, there are just a few quirky ones and because it is a small school you can see them alot which could give the impression of many quirky people.

All classes are taught by brilliant professors who know their stuff and want you instill their knowledge in you. They are so nice and always willing to work with students.

Clubs, IMs, and fraternities are popular on campus. These organizations are by no means mutually exclusive. The fraternities tend to be the social scene on campus and are not exclusive at all, they are probably the friendliest people on campus surprisingly. People drink but its not out of control, except for the first few weekends when freshman girls think they can drink as much as freshman football players. But after a few bad hangovers everything mellows out.

Kenyon is one of if not the most beautiful campus anywhere, on a sunny spring day. The faculty is brilliant and are eager to work with and help students on anything. The current dean of students (Tammy Goscial) is a total b****. She doesn't seem to be in tune with the students at all. Everyone is very friendly and smart. There is almost no exclusivity. There is a stereotype that Kenyon girls are ugly and that the people can be sort of quirky.

Anna

I love the campus feel here. It is so beautiful. Everyone knows each other. It is a cute little college town. We are sortof out in the middle of nowhere. Polaris mall is a little less than an hour away. We have a movie theatre, bowling alley, walmart, and good restraunts like LA FIesta in nearby Mount Vernon. If you need the city life, Kenyon is not the place for you. Kenyon is having a big problem with communication right now. There is a disconnect between students and adminstration, professors and administration, and in some cases involved students and uninvolved students. We are working very hard on ways to get information out to people in a better way. We are holding more community forums, where students can come and ask questions of staff members, and we are working on sustaining the student government memory by having those in office mentor their successors.

Most students on campus are democrats. They join the group the first week of class and maybe go to 1-2 meetings before losing interest. The republicans on the other hand are a very small handful of students who seem to remain highly organized because they are in a community that does not share their views. Many students are on financial aid. Kenyon is an expensive school. Some of us could not be here without it. Kenyon Students don't have a uniform. SOme tend to dress preppy, some roll out of bed and go to class in their pajamas, others go dressed in flannel. We are a very diverse group of people. CLothing is not really important here.

I love Kenyon and have never regretted coming here.

To a certain extent, that is true. We did make national news for waiting for hours to vote in the last election. Kenyon Students are very good at getting excited about issues and responding. However, after the immediate follow through they lose interest. They may still lament the issue, but they do not try to get involved to fix it. This years student government elections all went uncontested except for the position of President. That being said, the individuals who did get involved are some of the most hardworking and caring people that I know.

Professors do get to know your name. One of the things that I like about Kenyon is that I run into my Professors as I am walking down Middle Path, or going to the KAC, or grabbing a bite at Middle Ground. They are definitely part of the community. We always stop and chat for a few minutes when we run into each other. If you take a seminar class (7-15 tudents) there is a good chance that you will go to their house for dinner. I have found that my most intellectual conversations happen at the oddest times: close to MIdnight surrounded by a group of friends.

My friends lived on my hall Freshman year. I did not get along with my roomate so I spent a lot of my time in their rooms. All eight of us found a way to room in the same hall the next year and now we share a suite together. At Kenyon you will make life long friendships. At the end of each school year, we have an all day event called Summer Send-Off. DUring the morning and afternoon, activities are held on Ransom Lawn for the members of our community (face painting, jupiter jump, sand art balloons, etc.) Towards the evening, various schoolbands plays. It culminates in the performance of a famous band. (Student do tend to drink all day and night on this event.)

That Kenyon is a very politically active campus.

Ann

Kenyon has a gorgeous campus, its easy to walk everywhere (except the wal-mart). There are no swipe cards for meals, and until this year there were no locks on any doors--its a very open community and very safe. For many people Kenyon is too small, but you would be surprised how many people you don't know, and there is always a chance to get off campus with a semester abroad. Most people will either have no clue where or what Kenyon is, think its in Africa. However, those that do know Kenyon always mention what a good school it is academically. The academics are excellent: small classes, great professors, plenty of out of class discussions, and a wide variety of classes. Most of my memories are from the dining hall, the library, or the dorms. There is no student center, so most kids just hang around those places, or if its nice outside in any of the picturesque spaces on campus. The town is engulfed by the college, its only one block long, but it has 2 fun bars and a fantastic grocery for students. The administration has gone through major changes lately, and although somewhat well intentioned don't always see eye to eye with the students on a number of policies. The installation of proxy cards for dorms this upcoming year was quite the stir, but hopefully it won't be to big of a problem. Everyone has lots of Kenyon gear--but there isn't too much school spirit for sporting events. People are more into the Kenyon belts and nalgenes. There are some wonderful traditions at Kenyon, like the Freshman and Senior sings on the steps of Rosse Hall. You sing the same songs the day you begin school and the day of graduation, creating very nice book ends. I have so many fun experiences, but some of the best were the costume parties--there are a TON. Almost every all campus party has a theme, and a good number of people always have fantastic outfits. Also--kind of random, party nights are Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. The biggest complaints generally are about the administration and the food.

Kenyon is trying to diversify, but its mostly white bread and well off. There is a decent gay population, but its a small campus. The lesbian community is almost non-existent. Inner city kids would feel pretty out of place at Kenyon, as do some metropolitan kids who miss the city life--Kenyon is very farmland, not city. Although people identify with certain groups, everyone has a friend in each. For example, there are very strong fraternity/sorority groups, but they are not exclusive and they throw open parties. Four tables, 1) the soccer team guys or a fraternity 2) the swimmers, guys and girls 3) random group of girls all from one grade who probably all live together 4) some academic table---like Spanish table with a professor where everyone speaks Spanish. Students come from all over the country with a lot from Washington DC, New York, Chicago, rural Ohio, and all over California--there is also a decent international population mostly from Europe. There is the whole spectrum for political activity--plenty of apathetics, but there are also the large number of us, myself included, who waited 10+ hours in line to vote for the 2004 presidential election. People run the spectrum from left to right politically, but I would call Kenyon a left of center group. People do not talk about how much money they will make after college.

I would say that Kenyon students do tend to be on the more liberal side of things. However, there is a strong community of conservatives and conservative professors who are not afraid to speak their mind. Although the vast majority of students are quite well off, there isn't a lot of opportunity to spend tons of money while on campus. You will get your fair share of snobby intellectuals, but they aren't the only kids around. There is a lot of drinking on campus, but it usually occurs after or alongside many other activities like plays, sports games, or concerts.

The academics are top notch, personal, and challenging. Every professor I've had knows my name, has been available for office hours, and showed a lot of respect for my work. My favorite classes were those in my major--political science-- because they involved great discussion and research of my own choosing. For example my Junior Honors Seminar was discussion based on a number of political theory texts and then an independent research paper of about 30 pages; I chose Hezbollah. For most of my classes there were only 3 grades, midterm, final and a paper--I like it simple. My least favorite class was the intro bio class I took, but it was probably just a bad choice of topic for me personally. It was really easy for me to schedule my classes between 9am - 1pm so I had most of my days free, but like most students did spend a good deal of time studying outside of class (but never on Friday nights or Saturdays). If you want to have intellectual discussions outside of class there is plenty of opportunity to do so. The overall atmosphere of learning is not a competitive one, but a collaborative one, and I never had someone ask what my GPA was. The polisci deptarment is fantastic. The professors are somewhat conservative, especially compared to the students, but it doesn't come across in their teaching. There are a number of activities, like the chili contest, end of the year picnic, and such that really give you a chance to get to know your professors and other students. Its one of the larger majors with about 40 or so in my senior class. There is a very liberal arts feel to the education at Kenyon, with requirements in all the different subjects, but I didn't find it restricting. There is also a strong focus on writing and fundamental philosophies of each area. The education is more for learning's sake than career oriented, but the Career Development Center is getting better at finding jobs and internships for students.

Popular teams: Swimming--longest running winning streak in the nation for national championship wins in any category or division; Rugby, both men and womens; a Capella groups; theater; Greek organizations--more popular among guys. I was a captain of the Women's Rugby team and it was a lot of fun. Its a club sport, with a lot of social as well as athletic components. There are a number of road trips and tournaments and lots of parties on campus after games or on weekends. Students usually don't lock their doors if they have roommates, and apartments are never locked. Events of all sorts are generally well attended, but usually not overwhelmingly. The dating scene is non-existent. There is single but hooking up or married lifestyles. I lived next to my best friend freshman year and met my others through my sorority, classes, mutual friends, and sports. 2 am on a Tuesday I'm probably studying/chatting with friends/catching up on some tv. Traditions: freshman sing; all campus lounge parties all first semester; formals in winter and spring; rush in February; pledging second semester; ghost stories at Halloween; Summer Send Off festival (drinking all day, lots of free stuff, games, and a concert at night with a decent band). People who do party party 2-4 nights a week, from most popular to least on Saturday, Wednesday, Friday, and Monday. Greek life is a big part of campus, but not essential to join a group to be involved in their parties. During rush and formals its necessary to be a part of one to be involved, but otherwise parties are open and all are generally welcome. There are always alcohol free events, especially before 10pm, like a play, concert, sporting event, or social board activity--like lazer tag, or a trip into Colubumus or $1 movies. Off campus nearby there is Wal-mart, the High diner 24 hours, Fiesta mexican restaurant, or in Columbus there is plenty of shopping and all kinds of food and OSU.

-Very liberal, but not as liberal as Oberlin students -snotty rich kids -uniformed, we live in a bubble -very intellectual sometimes to an obnoxious degree -drink a lot

Allison

The Big Picture? Strong academics, intimate academics relative to bigger schools, motivated students; Small setting, isolated setting, semi-incestuous, but every student is endeared to those potential shortcomings, creative individuals make up for lack of established nightlife selection...

I think the stereotype among alum of the "kenyon of yore" is still accurate about the strengths of today's student body mix - a lot of passionate, sometimes quirky, hardworking, genuine and fun people. I think the strength of Kenyon's "diversity" is certainly not an ethnic or socio-economic one - white upper-class is a demographic you certainly can't avoid here - but an incredible diversity of interest, personality type, and life-plan, if you will. That being said, there are jerks, but I don't mind 'em

Those stereotypes seem to be in the middle of an evolution of sorts. There seems to be this nostalgic notion of the Kenyon that was, the quirky but smart, rich but modest, fun as hell but studious and passionate - replaced by smart, wealthy, immodest, workhardplayhard jerks of today's hyper-competitive college admissions atmosphere.

Nina

Kenyon is like another world. Its place on the Hill gives it a sort of oasis-y feel, and Gambier's main drag is tiny and intimate enough to appear almost fabricated, like a theme park's Main Street. When I visited Kenyon as a prospective student, I was honestly kind of put off by how strange the campus felt, how secluded and Pleasantville-like it was. Of course Kenyon has its imperfections--there are at least three power outages a year, the housing can be dicey, Middle Path gets mercilessly icy in the winter--but its beauty and cohesiveness as a campus makes it unlike any other school (in my highly biased opinion). Kenyon students have a fierce sense of loyalty and affection towards their alma mater, and it's showing itself most strongly in the controversies regarding the changes that Kenyon is going through as it becomes a bigger, "better" college. We worry that the integrity of the college will be compromised as the administration seeks to solidify its "New Ivy" position--most of us (myself included) curse the day Kenyon was called that, because having the most AP credits and the highest ACT isn't at ALL what Kenyon is about. Kenyon is about community, plain and simple--at Kenyon you will find yourself in the midst of a student body with diverse viewpoints, upbringings, and origins, but I think there's a common thread that makes us who we are. I can't put my finger on what it is, but I'll say that it takes a very unique person to think that spending four years in the depths of rural Ohio with 1600 other kids is a good idea.

In my experience, the contrast and occasional tensions between the community of Mt. Vernon and Kenyon students throw the rich-kid stereotype into its highest relief. Some kids are pretty classist towards "townies," which has personally been my biggest beef with my fellow students.

Kenyon's academic culture revolves around a sort of culture of common pursuit. You aren't sequestered by discipline here--I've had math and music majors in my political theory courses--and if you're looking for a lot of competition in your studying, you're not going to find it. I've found that--with a few exceptions--Kenyon students shy away from talking about how much work they have and tend to frown upon comparing scores. Of course we have our freakout weekends and our all-nighters, but we go through those trying times together, as friends and fellow students. I love my professors. I haven't been as bold about building relationships with them, which has been one of my biggest regrets as a student, because I find that the student-professor relationship is one of the best things about Kenyon. I've gone to professors' houses for dinner and eaten brunch with them at Middle Ground; I see my advisor at the church on campus. Classes are small--I think the biggest course on campus in terms of enrollment is a intro Bio course, and even then I'm pretty sure they split people up into smaller lab groups. As a humanities/social sciences kid, I think my biggest class has been about 40 people. I don't think it's hard at all to complete the diversification requirements. The whole academic culture at Kenyon, which encourages exploration and branching out, lends itself well to completing diversification. Students will take Economics just for fun and find out later that it completed their quantitative reasoning requirement--surprise, you took a math class!

I think the ridiculously high tuition at Kenyon College leads to the conception that Kenyon students have feelings of entitlement; our pretty, secluded campus does spoil us quite a bit. And of course the majority of us are Obama-supporting left-leaners, which I think is par for the course at a small liberal arts college.

Harper

The thing that amazes me about Kenyon, and, admittedly I'm a part of it as well, is the students' ability to talk the place up for hours at a time. I love it here. Within 5 days of being here it felt like home. It's a very small school, so it's not right for everyone, but it's not so small that I can never meet new people. Every week I make new friends. It's also amazing to see how many people know someone who went to Kenyon. It's a school of around 1,600 and yet every time I turn around someone is or knows a Kenyon alum.

We're a very liberal, pretty wealthy, and not particularly diverse crowd here. Thats the biggest problem with the school.

Yes. The Kenyon experience as a freshman is amazing. It's basically the exact opposite of what the classic freshman experience is portrayed as being. You get here, everyone is so nice to you, and people want to hang out with you BECAUSE you're a freshman. You're invited to every party on campus, and people love it when freshmen get involved in things. It really is amazing.

I have yet to be in a class in which the professor doesn't know my name after a week of classes, which says something, because I'm in Intro Psych, which is one of the largest classes on campus. My teachers care just as much about my education as I do, which lends itself to a wonderful academic environment. It is very common to see people walking or eating with professors. I've certainly done it. The program here is good as well. I'm a Drama major, and will likely pick up Philosophy as well. The drama department is one of the most professional I've seen, and my philosophy teacher is the best teacher I've ever had.

Ultimate Frisbee has been the thing that defines me here. I joined the team right away, and all my best friends play with me. That's not to say I don't hang out with other people too. You could party every night or not at all here, and people do both. I locked my door for the first couple of weeks, but now I rarely even close it. Dating is easy here, because you always see people everywhere. I met my girlfriend at a party and we've seen eachother pretty much every day since then without trying too hard. The only problem is when it comes to actual dates, you have a pretty limited set of places to go. We have an active Greek community, however by no means must you be Greek to party.

I heard that Kenyon students were the nicest, most friendly people around. At first I thought to myself, "That can't be true," but I got here and it really was.

Kenyon College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.