Gambier, OH
Kenyon College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Kenyon College

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

Sophie

Kenyon is a bit small. You'll begin to recognize everyone, if not know everyone, by the end of your freshman year. But that is what makes it so interesting. We're in the middle of corn fields. There is a serious lack of things to do. However, instead of sitting around, the lack of things to do propels people to both focus opn their studies and get to know people in an extremely honest and deep way.

Academics are tough, but up to par with some of the best high schools in the nation. College is so different from high school; there is much more unstructured time in which you decide whether or not to use for academics. But class sizes are small and teachers definitely know if you are not keeping up with the reading or the assignments. And they are not afraid to fail you.

There are Greek organizations on campus, which to me sounded scary. I was unsure about how I would fit into the Greek community, if at all. I ended up joining Archons, a co-ed Greek service organization, during my sophomore year.

People often think that Kenyon isn't a very diverse place. However, I believe that diversity shouldn't just be measured by skin color; it should be measured by political inclinations, favorite activities, academic interests, and other areas.

Devon

I fell in love with Kenyon for its small community feel and because Kenyon students seemed really engaged and involved. They weren't there for the grades, they were there because they really loved what they were studying. While this is still true, I feel like the make-up of the student body has changed over the last few years due to the "New Ivy" stuff. Kenyon now seems to attract students who wanted to go to an Ivy but fell a little short. I students in general have become less diverse and less interesting. Another big change in the works is the installation of key card locks on all the residential buildings. While this is the norm at most schools, I have always liked that I lived somewhere where the dorms never locked and I didn't even have to bother locking my room most of the time. To me, that made Kenyon unique. Oh, well.

Kenyon students are from all over. Perhaps the most predominant group are upper-middle class New Englanders. People wear anything and everything to class. In one class you'll see some people in sweats, jeans & t-shirt, sun dresses, and usually a few pairs of Uggs. There are few racial/ethnic minority students on campus but I wouldn't say that such students would feel out of place. Students do not seem particularly political, although Kenyon made big news in the 2004 election because students waited in line for hours (the last polling station to close) to make sure their votes counted. Kenyon definitely leans way to the left, but as with other things, I feel like this is changing some.

This really depends on the department. As a molecular biology major, pursuing honors research, I'm on a first name basis with every biology and chemistry professor, even if I've never had them for a class. The department is small but manages to do a lot. If research is your thing, Kenyon is the place to be. While our lab facilities don't live up to a Research I university, there are tons of opportunities for students to get involved in research with professors, including a summer fellowship. Most departments are big enough that if you just want to float by semi-anonymously, you can but small enough that if you make any kind of effort you can be really involved.

Party nights are Wednesday, Friday, Saturday with a few extras scattered in occasionally. Parties range from big (a few hundred) to small room or apartment parties. Fraternities are responsible for most of the bigger parties but these are still relatively tame compared to frat parties at most schools and are always open to everyone. While partying often involves drinking, there is rarely any pressure to drink, even if you hang out with the party crowd. Freshman year I was a varsity athlete and had 48 hour dry before games but those dry nights were some of my most fun party experiences. While the party scene is probably the predominate social activity, there is always other stuff going on too. There are a lot of small live music shows, movies, performances going on most of the time. The dating scene is pretty weird and dominated by random hook-ups that might turn into something slightly more serious. I met my boyfriend playing Ultimate.

Phan

Keyon is a wonderful College. It is a great place to spend four years of college. The seasonal changes give the school completely different feel. The spring was so beautiful so as the fall and winter. If one get the chance of staying for the summer, it is also very different. People don't know of Kenyon. I told many of my friends about Kenyon but I have to explain to them where Kenyon is. I love it that way. I spend most of my time with friends all over the campus: in the library, in the chemistry lab, on Middle Path, etc. That's one of the major past time here and that's also when most of the interesting discussion spark up.

Students are friendly in general. All students wear casual clothing to class. Sometimes with just a sweatpants and a sweater. Most students from Kenyon came from upper / middle class family. Majority are Caucasians . Students are politically active and aware.

This stereotype is partially true. We have a group of students who party a lot but we also have a group of students who don't.

Kenyon students are not competitive in general. However, that does not mean that we don't strive for the highest grade. It's just that we work with one another, together. Kenyon classes are challenging, even with non-science classes. I got to spend time with many professor outside of class. I would meet them for questions in class or just seeing them outside of class and talk. Kenyon's education does not prepare you for a job, just for the sake of learning many different things. That's the best part.

Students are recommended to lock their doors because we don't know how many people outside of campus came in and steal things. Frat and Sororities are not important. People don't have to join a greek organization to have friends. One can find friend anywhere on campus. Just reach out. Saturday can be a movie night between friends or going in town for a good meal. There are things that students can do beside drinking.

One stereotype is that we "party" like crazy!!!!

Kristy

I was walking back from the KAC one day....I was walking down Middle Path one day....I was walking ( actually, stumbleing) home from a party one night....I was holed up in my rom against the frigid temperature one dreary evening...and in all these cases, my heart litterly swelled with happiness that I am here. Kenyon is an amazing place, for a whole bevy of reasons, and every once in a while ( in in my case, quite often) it will hit you ...I am So glad I go here! It's cliche but true: its the people. By virtue of the fact that we all decided to come to this little known school out in rural Ohio, we immediatly have soemthingin commonv-- not everyone is wiling to do that, and we all get here, adn decdied that we're all in this together...not that its like some sort of hardship or whatnot, but its like we're all embarking on this weird little Kenyon adventure.

white.upper middle class. liberal. but that is not to say that they are not trying really, really hard to remedy this homogenous student body.

Yes to a certian extent. There are definitly a ton of English majos, but I know a whole host of people that want nothing to do with English, and I would encourage anyone to consider Kenyon, not just kids intersted in the humanities. Kenyon defintily has its own little party scene, and frats are definitly a part of campus life, but I see that as a benefit -- everyone is very welcoming and friendly, and yes, people like their Keystone here. To say otherwise would simply be a lie. This odd little party scene is probably the result of the fact that we are in a pretty rural area, but when I initially heard "rural", I, being the uninformed city kid, thought that I would not see any people besides students. So not true. Mount Vernon has upwards of 30,000 residents, so while we are in an agricultural area, we are not deserted. The cornfields are here and fun to run around in, and the Amish sell baskets, jams, adn baked goods on weekends! i once made the mistake of lodging a dead piece of corn at a friend....i have very bad aim...i imagine it hurt alot, but was priceless!

Amazing...wonderful...some classes are way eaiser than expected, but given that other are insanely challenging in the best ohmygosh-i-would-have-never-thought-of-that-but-thats-so-true-and-brillient way, its a nice balence.

im in the archon society...a fraternity/sorority that is all about community service. i am also involed in the campus newspaper, the collegian. contrary to popular belief, all the athletic events i went to were pretty well attended...swim meets are extra fun becuase there is some amazing eye candy lol. dating scene = non-existant expect for a few hard-core married couple types. hook up culture = in full swing, more so, in fact, than that of larger universites, at least according to my friends that attend said larger school....that factor, of course, could come from the fact that we are such a small school and there are these little circles in whcih everyone knows everyones business and for some, dibsing becomes a huge deal...if im up at 2 am on a tuesday...which i am...i am studying in my room. there is the freshman sing every year. people mostly party friday and saturday, and some on wednesday. i generally go out 2-3 nights a week. i have heard that about 25% of the student body does so as well, hence those little circles i mentioned....you get to know everybody pretty fast.but i would say that we throw AWESOME parites and my friends at UC school have expressesd their profound jelousy that they dont get to got to 80s workout, or "Things that Don't Exisit" or other oddly-themed parties. we have more themed parties than i thought possibel,a dn people actually really get into it....they take their costumes seriously....very seriously....and then we get all dressed up, guzzle cheak beer together, and dacnce like mad to 80s and hip-hop....its sooo crazy fun! and ususlaly the weekend starts with.....omg this was the hardest week ever...i've had sooo much work to do...lets go get DRUNK!!! to be perfectly honest, i dont really know what people do on saturday ngiht that doesnt involve drinking, but heresay says that some people jsut hang out, watch movies, you know, that kind of thing. haha there HAVE been a few weekends i've stayed in, and as i sit cozily in my bed, reading, watching movies on my laptop, i laugh to myself as i hear people stummble home around 2 am, singing, laughing lougdly, talking and think, oh gosh, i hope i dont sound so obnoxious, but of course, i do, and itss all great and fun. and then i wake up, sans hangover, and am like, ok, i have got to go out tonight! early on saturday nights, if there is say an acapella conert, i would not miss that for the world....and those are usuallly at 8 pm so they dont in any way interfere with your party life haha. going off campus usually involveds a trip to wal-mart, and once in a while, to the movie theater. if you can, i would strongly advise you to bring a car-- you will be glad you did. im still working on petitioning the parentals for that one....

When one thinks of Kenyon, one might think of a bunch of English majors with Mid-West manners guzzling beer on the weekends, fraternities and ( of late) sororities, kids that talk about school outside of school, perferably sitting on the lawn( that is, when its nice out), cornfields and the Amish(!), Ohio ( insert your own sterotypes here lol), the middle of nowhere, and since im from L.A, bad bad weather....bad!!!

Maria

Kenyon is a great school. The professors are there to assist you in any way possible. The faculty and staff are very warming as well. If they see you around, outside the school environment, they do not let you pass by unnoticed. If you thought seeing your high school teacher at the store was weird, then college will change your mind about that. The students too are very approachable. They all understand that your are there for learning and for knowing and meeting new people, and in this small school, you do not know everyone directly, but their face, I will assure you, you have once or twice before.

To be honest, Kenyon has fairly wealthy people, there is a lack of the Latino/a population, but that is the choice of the student if they chose to enroll. This campus is mainly open to new ideas and new people. There are numerous organizations that support you in any belief or preference. As well as to what you wear to class, people can roll up into class in their pajamas and other will not even care.

I know professors by name. Although since I am still used to calling my elders by their last names, that has still stuck with me. But once a professor is comfortable, as I know it will happen, then they will speak to you as friend. But don't get the idea that all the professor will speak down to you, not here at Kenyon.

There are many things to do, you just need to get yourself out there. Even if you are not a party-er, there are things that can be don for enjoyment, 2 dollar movie nights for one. If you are a party animal then there are numerous parities that you can attend. Also, Kenyon will through a few, non-alcoholic, festivities in the mix a treat for the entire campus.

That they are uptight and too good for the local people to interact with.

When I decided to go to Kenyon, few people recognized the school. Today, it is more recognized, but with increasing selectivity the unique character of the school has been diminished. There are still cool experiences, like the Sustainable Agriculture class that allows students to work on a local farm for five hours a week, but the student body does not seem different than one you might find elsewhere. The biggest recent controversy has been over proxy cards, which the Board of Trustees approved to be installed over the summer in every dormitory. Kenyon students like to leave doors to apartments and dorm rooms unlocked, and the dorm buildings themselves are never locked. Now they will require a proxy card to enter, and many students are upset at this seemingly un-Kenyon, unfriendly decision.

There is little diversity on campus. I think that any minority would feel at first out of place at Kenyon. As a Jew, even though Jews make up 10-15 percent of the student body (few are practicing, however), I initially felt very out of place and sometimes still do. Many Kenyon students are from New York, D.C. and L.A. and surrounding areas. Students are not too politically active but the great majority are liberal.

About 70 percent of Kenyon students are on some kind of financial aid, but I find that many of these students still come from privileged, if not financially well-off, backgrounds. For example, they went to exclusive private schools but on full scholarships. Kenyon definitely used to be full of unique and alternative types, but is no longer. Most people who come here are pretty mainstream, and everyone carries cell phones everywhere. It is still taboo to talk on one on Middle Path, but some people do so subtly and the taboo is definitely disappearing.

Every professor knows my name, even some whose classes I have never taken. Kenyon students sometimes have intellectual conversations outside of class; it does exist, but gossip is more prevalent than political discussions. Learning at Kenyon is very liberal arts in nature, almost to an extreme. The president especially has expressed contempt for career-oriented education, and for this perceived elitism she has received much criticism from alumni.

Greek life involves 30 percent of Kenyon students. Greeks provide nearly all the of the open campus parties and all do community service. There are more fraternities than sororities, and many people are anti-sorority. There is nothing official to do on a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking. Social Board sometimes organized activities that end around 11 p.m., but if you do not want to go to a party, it is up to you to decide what to do. It is possible, however, to go to party and not feel pressured to drink.

-Kenyon students are privileged and sheltered -Kenyon is laid-back and hippie-ish: you will be shunned if you talk on a cell phone on Middle Path

Katy

Going to Kenyon is like living in a snow globe--whether it's snow, rain or cherry blossoms falling down only depends on the season. It's a great college to attend because you can find your family here, find yourself here, find yourself having midnight conversations about the merits of libertarianism or how /Paradise Lost/ is applicable in everyday life. You apply your education here, and it's a great education to apply. Even the kids I know who avoid homework at all costs end up leaving their classes knowing something, and the kids who go above and beyond will graduate here being prepared to face the world. Admittedly, Kenyon is tiny. Everyone will know your business, even if you don't tell anyone. Thing is, most people won't really judge you--mock you a little, sure, but in the end they'll support you. And there's really no way to get away from it all, since Kenyon /is/ it all. The school is bigger than Gambier, the town surrounding the college. Quaint it may be, but sometimes you need to get away. The school knows this, and provides the occasional shuttle trip into Columbus, where you can watch a movie and do some shopping. Not to mention that there are some great concerts in Columbus, and you can usually find someone either willing to lend you their car or going to the concert anyway. Kenyon people are just that friendly. When I tell people I go to Kenyon, I get one of three reactions. The blank look dominates--where is that? Why are you going to school in Ohio? Following that is the semi-confused look, the "that sounds kind of familiar but I can't place it" look. You do get some people who know what Kenyon is, and all of those people are impressed. They give you the "wow, that's a great school, my friend's daughter goes there or I read something from the Kenyon Review or isn't that one of the new Ivies" look. That's a great look to get, because it's someone recognizing that you were prepared enough, smart enough, looked good on paper enough, worked hard enough to get into a great school.

Stereotypes normally stem from some grain of truth--sure, Kenyon can be really weird. But not in the way you think we are. We may live in the middle of nowhere, but that doesn't mean we don't know how to have a good time. And not just partying it up, spreading debauchery and mayhem whenever it gets dark and we leave the library. There are campus wide events such as barbecues and picnics, there's an abundance of groups that have activities and get togethers, and the student social board always has something going on. We may not be surrounded by skyscrapers, malls and traffic but Kenyon has a camaraderie and a feeling of family that many larger colleges miss. We may be a bunch of hippies and prepsters, but this is a place where the hippies and hipsters all get along.

When people see that Kenyon is in Gambier, Ohio, a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, they often assume two things: there must be nothing to do there and I bet that they're bunch of hippies. Who else would live in a rural Ohio village with fields of corn surrounding the two roads into town where the college is known for its English program? It must be a bunch of hippies who just smoke a lot of pot. And if these people are interested enough to visit the campus, they'll see that not only are there people tight-roping between the statues outside of Rosse hall and lounging on the abundant green lawns, there are a lot of people in pastel khaki shorts and popped Polo shirts. Hippies AND prepsters? Kenyon must be really weird.

The first thing my friends from other schools say when they visit Kenyon is how shocked they are that everyone's so nice. And we are. Sure, you'll find the occasional curmudgeon, but for the most part Kenyon people will do what they can to make you feel welcome. Within the first week of my freshman year, some of the people on my floor had taken to calling ourselves the family--and, two years later, we're all still friends. And we're very different people.

Professors here are great. The majority of the classes here are twenty people or under, but even in the larger classes the professors make an effort to know your name. And they all have office hours where you can go in to talk about an assignment, a test, or just to chat. One time I went into my creative writing professor's office and he ended up pulling out journals he had from when he was a little kid and we swapped tales about the ridiculous stories we'd written as kids. Pair that with my /Paradise Lost/ teacher, a class with about 70 people in it, who knew my name when I went into his office and said to me as I was leaving, "Ms. Day, please forgive me for poking fun at you, it's all in good spirits." Almost every professor I've ever taken a class with still remembers me and says hello to me around campus. They probably know their students so well because class participation is a big focus here--teachers often don't lecture all the time, but instead insist on students adding their opinion and occasionally engaging in debate.

There are two predominant Kenyon stereotypes: the hippie and the little rich kid. The hippie is the kid you see walking around with long, uncombed hair, Birkenstocks, ratty pants and a wrinkled t-shirt. The little rich kid is well groomed, has a popped Polo shirt, pastel khaki shorts and coiffed hair. The hippie walks everywhere, the rich kid has a Hummer. One carries a frisbee and the other spend his time at the KAC pumping up.

Laura

Yes, Kenyon has an amazing English program, but as a math major I have never, nor plan to, take an English course. The math and science here are just as strong, but are smaller programs with fewer majors. Having the smaller program gives each major more individual attention and more research opportunities.

That we are liberal hippies living in the middle of nowhere. Also, Kenyon has a reputation for its amazing English program and therefore everyone here is a humanities person not into the sciences.

Cassidy

Kenyon College is becoming more and more of an enigma to me. Some days, I don't know what the hell it's "about" or why I'm even here. But the sense of community, as I said before, is really the best thing about it. It's great to be able to ask your friend, "Hey, did you hear that so-and-so did this?" (Not that my friends and I are gossipy--another bonus), and know that they will know who you're talking about. This community might seem stifling to some, but the campus itself is spread out enough that I've never had a problem with it.

Racial, religious and LGBT groups are fairly vocal on campus--sometimes to the point where they make some people angry. I don't think any student can feel out of place at Kenyon--unless they're close-minded. That's the thing I love about Kenyon: there are so many different types of people here, who all interact and become friends with people who are completely different from them. In the cafeteria, you can occasionally point out one table as the soccer guys, or another as kids from the Unity House (the LGBT meeting place on campus), but in general, I find people to be unclassifiable, which is absolutely wonderful to me. Geographically, politically, religiously, and economically, students at Kenyon are extremely diverse. There is frequent political debate, though you can easily stay out of it if you're not into that. Generally, I think Kenyon is a more left-leaning campus, but there are definitely conservative people here, too, which differentiates us from a place like Oberlin. The diverse student body is what makes the school so appealing to me. And even better is that are all unclassifiable.

Kenyon is in the middle of nowhere, but it's certainly not true that there is nothing to do. And there is a great sense of community--but the Kenyon students themselves are a much more diverse group of people (in terms of beliefs, politics, backgrounds, and interests) than is often thought to be the case.

Professors are very friendly and hardly stand-offish at all here. Every student has a faculty adviser--I have nothing but praise for mine. In terms of classes, they're generally very good, given that you're actually interested in the topic. I've made a couple of mistakes by taking some classes that it turns out, I have no interest in. Class discussions are generally very laid-back, and not heated at all, as can be conversations outside of class. We're very much a "learning for learning's sake" campus--although if that turns you away from the school, know that most companies are looking for trainable graduates, not necessarily people who already have a degree pertinent to their field.

Parties are pretty easy to find at Kenyon, which is another thing that separates it from many school. Fraternity divisions in dorms are usually places to be. Also, after music concerts, there are often really fun after-parties. This Friday, I'm going to the Kokosingers' concert (an AWESOME male a capella group), then to their after-party. Saturday, I'm going to see Fools on the Hill, an improv group, then go straight to a Stairwells' concert, a "folkapella" group. Then, I'll go to my friend's radio show, where she'll probably have a couple of beers for me and my friends. After that, who knows? Sunday, I'm going to a theater production of One Acts, and then to the college's Gospel Choir concert. Admittedly, there is a lot to do this weekend since school is almost ending, but one can easily find just as much to do on any given weekend. The frat scene here is interesting--there are the stoner frats and the bro frats, and all of them have parties on the weekends. The frat scene is definitely not huge here, though, and easy to avoid if you don't care for that scene. If you're not into parties or drinking, there are definitely things to do. The Social Board, as well as first year CAs, are always planning events that don't involve drinking.

Kenyon is a liberal school in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. This leads to a great sense of community among all students--who are thought of as neo-hippies.

Laura

When I tell people I go to Kenyon I most commonly get two reactions: either they're instantly impressed or they know nothing about the college. The most common complaint is probably the food, but only because there's nothing better to complain about. It's really not that bad. There's definitely a sense of community here at Kenyon. Since it's a small college you get to know a lot of people really quickly, which is great since most people come here knowing no one. The campus is gorgeous!! It really lifts your spirits.

The Christian community here at Kenyon is small, but amazing. They're like a family to me. Most people are very respectful of students' religious beliefs and I've never witnessed any problems with racial discrimination. East-coast fashion styles seem to be fairly popular here, although people tend to wear whatever suits them. Walking down Middle Path you'll see everything from high heels to sweats. People can pull off a lot here at Kenyon. Kenyon students aren't from any specific location. Less than 20% are from Ohio and the other 80-some percent come from all over the US and from abroad! I have friends from New York, Nevada, Florida, etc. There's really a nice mixture of backgrounds which lends to more cultural learning (and connections around the world!). I'd say students have predominantly left views, but all opinions can be voiced.

The athletic center is amazing! If I would have gone to another school I probably wouldn't have worked out that often, but at Kenyon I work out on a regular basis. The facilities are amazing--you have to see it to believe it.

No, there are definitely people with a lot of money, but there are also people (like myself) who come from average, middle-class families. The cool thing is that people really don't seem to be divided by socioeconomic status. I think the fact that we all worked hard to get here makes people more likely to treat others as equals. And Kenyon actually gave me more financial aid than any other college! Making the cost doable.

I love the academics here at Kenyon... and the fact that students actually care about their classes! In high school my friends would give me a hard time for putting so much work into my homework assignments, but here that's expected of you. That being said, classes are challenging, but definitely not overbearing. They're doable. Class sizes are very small. Even as a freshman, my largest class size is an Intro Psych class with about 25 students. Classes are interactive and engaging. In high school I had problems paying attention to teachers lecture, but at Kenyon I have no problem with that. All of my professors know me by name, even in the classes that I don't participate in as often. Kenyon's requirements are very easy to work with. There are a few general requirements, but they're very flexible! For instance, I'll probably never take an English class here (even though Kenyon is known for it's English department!), because Spanish fulfills my humanities requirement.

I've heard the dating scene can be awkward, mainly because it's a small campus and word travels fast, but many people do date here at Kenyon. Those who choose to party most often do so 2-3 times a week (Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday). For those like myself, who aren't into that sorta thing, you can always find people who just want to chill and play games or have a movie night. Most people don't leave campus on a regular basis, but some take the shuttle into Mt. Vernon (the neighboring town) on $2 movie nights or take a trip to Walmart. Most of the fun takes place on campus, though.

Kenyon College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.