Gambier, OH
Kenyon College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Kenyon College

Allison

The Big Picture? Strong academics, intimate academics relative to bigger schools, motivated students; Small setting, isolated setting, semi-incestuous, but every student is endeared to those potential shortcomings, creative individuals make up for lack of established nightlife selection...

I think the stereotype among alum of the "kenyon of yore" is still accurate about the strengths of today's student body mix - a lot of passionate, sometimes quirky, hardworking, genuine and fun people. I think the strength of Kenyon's "diversity" is certainly not an ethnic or socio-economic one - white upper-class is a demographic you certainly can't avoid here - but an incredible diversity of interest, personality type, and life-plan, if you will. That being said, there are jerks, but I don't mind 'em

Those stereotypes seem to be in the middle of an evolution of sorts. There seems to be this nostalgic notion of the Kenyon that was, the quirky but smart, rich but modest, fun as hell but studious and passionate - replaced by smart, wealthy, immodest, workhardplayhard jerks of today's hyper-competitive college admissions atmosphere.

Nina

Kenyon is like another world. Its place on the Hill gives it a sort of oasis-y feel, and Gambier's main drag is tiny and intimate enough to appear almost fabricated, like a theme park's Main Street. When I visited Kenyon as a prospective student, I was honestly kind of put off by how strange the campus felt, how secluded and Pleasantville-like it was. Of course Kenyon has its imperfections--there are at least three power outages a year, the housing can be dicey, Middle Path gets mercilessly icy in the winter--but its beauty and cohesiveness as a campus makes it unlike any other school (in my highly biased opinion). Kenyon students have a fierce sense of loyalty and affection towards their alma mater, and it's showing itself most strongly in the controversies regarding the changes that Kenyon is going through as it becomes a bigger, "better" college. We worry that the integrity of the college will be compromised as the administration seeks to solidify its "New Ivy" position--most of us (myself included) curse the day Kenyon was called that, because having the most AP credits and the highest ACT isn't at ALL what Kenyon is about. Kenyon is about community, plain and simple--at Kenyon you will find yourself in the midst of a student body with diverse viewpoints, upbringings, and origins, but I think there's a common thread that makes us who we are. I can't put my finger on what it is, but I'll say that it takes a very unique person to think that spending four years in the depths of rural Ohio with 1600 other kids is a good idea.

In my experience, the contrast and occasional tensions between the community of Mt. Vernon and Kenyon students throw the rich-kid stereotype into its highest relief. Some kids are pretty classist towards "townies," which has personally been my biggest beef with my fellow students.

Kenyon's academic culture revolves around a sort of culture of common pursuit. You aren't sequestered by discipline here--I've had math and music majors in my political theory courses--and if you're looking for a lot of competition in your studying, you're not going to find it. I've found that--with a few exceptions--Kenyon students shy away from talking about how much work they have and tend to frown upon comparing scores. Of course we have our freakout weekends and our all-nighters, but we go through those trying times together, as friends and fellow students. I love my professors. I haven't been as bold about building relationships with them, which has been one of my biggest regrets as a student, because I find that the student-professor relationship is one of the best things about Kenyon. I've gone to professors' houses for dinner and eaten brunch with them at Middle Ground; I see my advisor at the church on campus. Classes are small--I think the biggest course on campus in terms of enrollment is a intro Bio course, and even then I'm pretty sure they split people up into smaller lab groups. As a humanities/social sciences kid, I think my biggest class has been about 40 people. I don't think it's hard at all to complete the diversification requirements. The whole academic culture at Kenyon, which encourages exploration and branching out, lends itself well to completing diversification. Students will take Economics just for fun and find out later that it completed their quantitative reasoning requirement--surprise, you took a math class!

I think the ridiculously high tuition at Kenyon College leads to the conception that Kenyon students have feelings of entitlement; our pretty, secluded campus does spoil us quite a bit. And of course the majority of us are Obama-supporting left-leaners, which I think is par for the course at a small liberal arts college.

Harper

The thing that amazes me about Kenyon, and, admittedly I'm a part of it as well, is the students' ability to talk the place up for hours at a time. I love it here. Within 5 days of being here it felt like home. It's a very small school, so it's not right for everyone, but it's not so small that I can never meet new people. Every week I make new friends. It's also amazing to see how many people know someone who went to Kenyon. It's a school of around 1,600 and yet every time I turn around someone is or knows a Kenyon alum.

We're a very liberal, pretty wealthy, and not particularly diverse crowd here. Thats the biggest problem with the school.

Yes. The Kenyon experience as a freshman is amazing. It's basically the exact opposite of what the classic freshman experience is portrayed as being. You get here, everyone is so nice to you, and people want to hang out with you BECAUSE you're a freshman. You're invited to every party on campus, and people love it when freshmen get involved in things. It really is amazing.

I have yet to be in a class in which the professor doesn't know my name after a week of classes, which says something, because I'm in Intro Psych, which is one of the largest classes on campus. My teachers care just as much about my education as I do, which lends itself to a wonderful academic environment. It is very common to see people walking or eating with professors. I've certainly done it. The program here is good as well. I'm a Drama major, and will likely pick up Philosophy as well. The drama department is one of the most professional I've seen, and my philosophy teacher is the best teacher I've ever had.

Ultimate Frisbee has been the thing that defines me here. I joined the team right away, and all my best friends play with me. That's not to say I don't hang out with other people too. You could party every night or not at all here, and people do both. I locked my door for the first couple of weeks, but now I rarely even close it. Dating is easy here, because you always see people everywhere. I met my girlfriend at a party and we've seen eachother pretty much every day since then without trying too hard. The only problem is when it comes to actual dates, you have a pretty limited set of places to go. We have an active Greek community, however by no means must you be Greek to party.

I heard that Kenyon students were the nicest, most friendly people around. At first I thought to myself, "That can't be true," but I got here and it really was.

Sophie

Kenyon is a bit small. You'll begin to recognize everyone, if not know everyone, by the end of your freshman year. But that is what makes it so interesting. We're in the middle of corn fields. There is a serious lack of things to do. However, instead of sitting around, the lack of things to do propels people to both focus opn their studies and get to know people in an extremely honest and deep way.

Academics are tough, but up to par with some of the best high schools in the nation. College is so different from high school; there is much more unstructured time in which you decide whether or not to use for academics. But class sizes are small and teachers definitely know if you are not keeping up with the reading or the assignments. And they are not afraid to fail you.

There are Greek organizations on campus, which to me sounded scary. I was unsure about how I would fit into the Greek community, if at all. I ended up joining Archons, a co-ed Greek service organization, during my sophomore year.

People often think that Kenyon isn't a very diverse place. However, I believe that diversity shouldn't just be measured by skin color; it should be measured by political inclinations, favorite activities, academic interests, and other areas.

Devon

I fell in love with Kenyon for its small community feel and because Kenyon students seemed really engaged and involved. They weren't there for the grades, they were there because they really loved what they were studying. While this is still true, I feel like the make-up of the student body has changed over the last few years due to the "New Ivy" stuff. Kenyon now seems to attract students who wanted to go to an Ivy but fell a little short. I students in general have become less diverse and less interesting. Another big change in the works is the installation of key card locks on all the residential buildings. While this is the norm at most schools, I have always liked that I lived somewhere where the dorms never locked and I didn't even have to bother locking my room most of the time. To me, that made Kenyon unique. Oh, well.

Kenyon students are from all over. Perhaps the most predominant group are upper-middle class New Englanders. People wear anything and everything to class. In one class you'll see some people in sweats, jeans & t-shirt, sun dresses, and usually a few pairs of Uggs. There are few racial/ethnic minority students on campus but I wouldn't say that such students would feel out of place. Students do not seem particularly political, although Kenyon made big news in the 2004 election because students waited in line for hours (the last polling station to close) to make sure their votes counted. Kenyon definitely leans way to the left, but as with other things, I feel like this is changing some.

This really depends on the department. As a molecular biology major, pursuing honors research, I'm on a first name basis with every biology and chemistry professor, even if I've never had them for a class. The department is small but manages to do a lot. If research is your thing, Kenyon is the place to be. While our lab facilities don't live up to a Research I university, there are tons of opportunities for students to get involved in research with professors, including a summer fellowship. Most departments are big enough that if you just want to float by semi-anonymously, you can but small enough that if you make any kind of effort you can be really involved.

Party nights are Wednesday, Friday, Saturday with a few extras scattered in occasionally. Parties range from big (a few hundred) to small room or apartment parties. Fraternities are responsible for most of the bigger parties but these are still relatively tame compared to frat parties at most schools and are always open to everyone. While partying often involves drinking, there is rarely any pressure to drink, even if you hang out with the party crowd. Freshman year I was a varsity athlete and had 48 hour dry before games but those dry nights were some of my most fun party experiences. While the party scene is probably the predominate social activity, there is always other stuff going on too. There are a lot of small live music shows, movies, performances going on most of the time. The dating scene is pretty weird and dominated by random hook-ups that might turn into something slightly more serious. I met my boyfriend playing Ultimate.

Phan

Keyon is a wonderful College. It is a great place to spend four years of college. The seasonal changes give the school completely different feel. The spring was so beautiful so as the fall and winter. If one get the chance of staying for the summer, it is also very different. People don't know of Kenyon. I told many of my friends about Kenyon but I have to explain to them where Kenyon is. I love it that way. I spend most of my time with friends all over the campus: in the library, in the chemistry lab, on Middle Path, etc. That's one of the major past time here and that's also when most of the interesting discussion spark up.

Students are friendly in general. All students wear casual clothing to class. Sometimes with just a sweatpants and a sweater. Most students from Kenyon came from upper / middle class family. Majority are Caucasians . Students are politically active and aware.

This stereotype is partially true. We have a group of students who party a lot but we also have a group of students who don't.

Kenyon students are not competitive in general. However, that does not mean that we don't strive for the highest grade. It's just that we work with one another, together. Kenyon classes are challenging, even with non-science classes. I got to spend time with many professor outside of class. I would meet them for questions in class or just seeing them outside of class and talk. Kenyon's education does not prepare you for a job, just for the sake of learning many different things. That's the best part.

Students are recommended to lock their doors because we don't know how many people outside of campus came in and steal things. Frat and Sororities are not important. People don't have to join a greek organization to have friends. One can find friend anywhere on campus. Just reach out. Saturday can be a movie night between friends or going in town for a good meal. There are things that students can do beside drinking.

One stereotype is that we "party" like crazy!!!!

Kristy

I was walking back from the KAC one day....I was walking down Middle Path one day....I was walking ( actually, stumbleing) home from a party one night....I was holed up in my rom against the frigid temperature one dreary evening...and in all these cases, my heart litterly swelled with happiness that I am here. Kenyon is an amazing place, for a whole bevy of reasons, and every once in a while ( in in my case, quite often) it will hit you ...I am So glad I go here! It's cliche but true: its the people. By virtue of the fact that we all decided to come to this little known school out in rural Ohio, we immediatly have soemthingin commonv-- not everyone is wiling to do that, and we all get here, adn decdied that we're all in this together...not that its like some sort of hardship or whatnot, but its like we're all embarking on this weird little Kenyon adventure.

white.upper middle class. liberal. but that is not to say that they are not trying really, really hard to remedy this homogenous student body.

Yes to a certian extent. There are definitly a ton of English majos, but I know a whole host of people that want nothing to do with English, and I would encourage anyone to consider Kenyon, not just kids intersted in the humanities. Kenyon defintily has its own little party scene, and frats are definitly a part of campus life, but I see that as a benefit -- everyone is very welcoming and friendly, and yes, people like their Keystone here. To say otherwise would simply be a lie. This odd little party scene is probably the result of the fact that we are in a pretty rural area, but when I initially heard "rural", I, being the uninformed city kid, thought that I would not see any people besides students. So not true. Mount Vernon has upwards of 30,000 residents, so while we are in an agricultural area, we are not deserted. The cornfields are here and fun to run around in, and the Amish sell baskets, jams, adn baked goods on weekends! i once made the mistake of lodging a dead piece of corn at a friend....i have very bad aim...i imagine it hurt alot, but was priceless!

Amazing...wonderful...some classes are way eaiser than expected, but given that other are insanely challenging in the best ohmygosh-i-would-have-never-thought-of-that-but-thats-so-true-and-brillient way, its a nice balence.

im in the archon society...a fraternity/sorority that is all about community service. i am also involed in the campus newspaper, the collegian. contrary to popular belief, all the athletic events i went to were pretty well attended...swim meets are extra fun becuase there is some amazing eye candy lol. dating scene = non-existant expect for a few hard-core married couple types. hook up culture = in full swing, more so, in fact, than that of larger universites, at least according to my friends that attend said larger school....that factor, of course, could come from the fact that we are such a small school and there are these little circles in whcih everyone knows everyones business and for some, dibsing becomes a huge deal...if im up at 2 am on a tuesday...which i am...i am studying in my room. there is the freshman sing every year. people mostly party friday and saturday, and some on wednesday. i generally go out 2-3 nights a week. i have heard that about 25% of the student body does so as well, hence those little circles i mentioned....you get to know everybody pretty fast.but i would say that we throw AWESOME parites and my friends at UC school have expressesd their profound jelousy that they dont get to got to 80s workout, or "Things that Don't Exisit" or other oddly-themed parties. we have more themed parties than i thought possibel,a dn people actually really get into it....they take their costumes seriously....very seriously....and then we get all dressed up, guzzle cheak beer together, and dacnce like mad to 80s and hip-hop....its sooo crazy fun! and ususlaly the weekend starts with.....omg this was the hardest week ever...i've had sooo much work to do...lets go get DRUNK!!! to be perfectly honest, i dont really know what people do on saturday ngiht that doesnt involve drinking, but heresay says that some people jsut hang out, watch movies, you know, that kind of thing. haha there HAVE been a few weekends i've stayed in, and as i sit cozily in my bed, reading, watching movies on my laptop, i laugh to myself as i hear people stummble home around 2 am, singing, laughing lougdly, talking and think, oh gosh, i hope i dont sound so obnoxious, but of course, i do, and itss all great and fun. and then i wake up, sans hangover, and am like, ok, i have got to go out tonight! early on saturday nights, if there is say an acapella conert, i would not miss that for the world....and those are usuallly at 8 pm so they dont in any way interfere with your party life haha. going off campus usually involveds a trip to wal-mart, and once in a while, to the movie theater. if you can, i would strongly advise you to bring a car-- you will be glad you did. im still working on petitioning the parentals for that one....

When one thinks of Kenyon, one might think of a bunch of English majors with Mid-West manners guzzling beer on the weekends, fraternities and ( of late) sororities, kids that talk about school outside of school, perferably sitting on the lawn( that is, when its nice out), cornfields and the Amish(!), Ohio ( insert your own sterotypes here lol), the middle of nowhere, and since im from L.A, bad bad weather....bad!!!

Maria

Kenyon is a great school. The professors are there to assist you in any way possible. The faculty and staff are very warming as well. If they see you around, outside the school environment, they do not let you pass by unnoticed. If you thought seeing your high school teacher at the store was weird, then college will change your mind about that. The students too are very approachable. They all understand that your are there for learning and for knowing and meeting new people, and in this small school, you do not know everyone directly, but their face, I will assure you, you have once or twice before.

To be honest, Kenyon has fairly wealthy people, there is a lack of the Latino/a population, but that is the choice of the student if they chose to enroll. This campus is mainly open to new ideas and new people. There are numerous organizations that support you in any belief or preference. As well as to what you wear to class, people can roll up into class in their pajamas and other will not even care.

I know professors by name. Although since I am still used to calling my elders by their last names, that has still stuck with me. But once a professor is comfortable, as I know it will happen, then they will speak to you as friend. But don't get the idea that all the professor will speak down to you, not here at Kenyon.

There are many things to do, you just need to get yourself out there. Even if you are not a party-er, there are things that can be don for enjoyment, 2 dollar movie nights for one. If you are a party animal then there are numerous parities that you can attend. Also, Kenyon will through a few, non-alcoholic, festivities in the mix a treat for the entire campus.

That they are uptight and too good for the local people to interact with.

When I decided to go to Kenyon, few people recognized the school. Today, it is more recognized, but with increasing selectivity the unique character of the school has been diminished. There are still cool experiences, like the Sustainable Agriculture class that allows students to work on a local farm for five hours a week, but the student body does not seem different than one you might find elsewhere. The biggest recent controversy has been over proxy cards, which the Board of Trustees approved to be installed over the summer in every dormitory. Kenyon students like to leave doors to apartments and dorm rooms unlocked, and the dorm buildings themselves are never locked. Now they will require a proxy card to enter, and many students are upset at this seemingly un-Kenyon, unfriendly decision.

There is little diversity on campus. I think that any minority would feel at first out of place at Kenyon. As a Jew, even though Jews make up 10-15 percent of the student body (few are practicing, however), I initially felt very out of place and sometimes still do. Many Kenyon students are from New York, D.C. and L.A. and surrounding areas. Students are not too politically active but the great majority are liberal.

About 70 percent of Kenyon students are on some kind of financial aid, but I find that many of these students still come from privileged, if not financially well-off, backgrounds. For example, they went to exclusive private schools but on full scholarships. Kenyon definitely used to be full of unique and alternative types, but is no longer. Most people who come here are pretty mainstream, and everyone carries cell phones everywhere. It is still taboo to talk on one on Middle Path, but some people do so subtly and the taboo is definitely disappearing.

Every professor knows my name, even some whose classes I have never taken. Kenyon students sometimes have intellectual conversations outside of class; it does exist, but gossip is more prevalent than political discussions. Learning at Kenyon is very liberal arts in nature, almost to an extreme. The president especially has expressed contempt for career-oriented education, and for this perceived elitism she has received much criticism from alumni.

Greek life involves 30 percent of Kenyon students. Greeks provide nearly all the of the open campus parties and all do community service. There are more fraternities than sororities, and many people are anti-sorority. There is nothing official to do on a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking. Social Board sometimes organized activities that end around 11 p.m., but if you do not want to go to a party, it is up to you to decide what to do. It is possible, however, to go to party and not feel pressured to drink.

-Kenyon students are privileged and sheltered -Kenyon is laid-back and hippie-ish: you will be shunned if you talk on a cell phone on Middle Path

Kenyon College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.