Kenyon College

« See more reviews of Kenyon College

Stereotypes normally stem from some grain of truth--sure, Kenyon can be really weird. But not in the way you think we are. We may live in the middle of nowhere, but that doesn't mean we don't know how to have a good time. And not just partying it up, spreading debauchery and mayhem whenever it gets dark and we leave the library. There are campus wide events such as barbecues and picnics, there's an abundance of groups that have activities and get togethers, and the student social board always has something going on. We may not be surrounded by skyscrapers, malls and traffic but Kenyon has a camaraderie and a feeling of family that many larger colleges miss. We may be a bunch of hippies and prepsters, but this is a place where the hippies and hipsters all get along.

To a certain extent, that is true. We did make national news for waiting for hours to vote in the last election. Kenyon Students are very good at getting excited about issues and responding. However, after the immediate follow through they lose interest. They may still lament the issue, but they do not try to get involved to fix it. This years student government elections all went uncontested except for the position of President. That being said, the individuals who did get involved are some of the most hardworking and caring people that I know.

No, there are definitely people with a lot of money, but there are also people (like myself) who come from average, middle-class families. The cool thing is that people really don't seem to be divided by socioeconomic status. I think the fact that we all worked hard to get here makes people more likely to treat others as equals. And Kenyon actually gave me more financial aid than any other college! Making the cost doable.

The girls don't really care what they look like they roll out of bed and go to class but if they put on a little makeup and went tanning I'm sure they could look as good as the girls at state schools. Although the boys complain... most of the boys have zero personality. Because of Kenyon's new athletic facility a different type of student is attracted to Kenyon.. the prepster/ jocks

Most of the stereotypes are accurate. I would say that the girls are better than the stereotype and that people are quirky, there are just a few quirky ones and because it is a small school you can see them alot which could give the impression of many quirky people.

To an extent-- there seem to be a lot of students who enjoy balancing the two categories above, but some do fit the stereotypes perfectly. However, the school stereotypes are pretty accurate except for the assumption that students get along well with Mt. Vernon.

most of the students are definately from the upper class, or have that mindset. students are definately disconnected from the outside world. a lot of them are from cities, and they don't understand things like farming and villages.

I found a lot of the students to be "cerebral", and there certainly are the hipsters and outdoorsy type, there's also many other types of kids that roam the campus.

Sometimes - there are always anomalies, but most of my friends fit the bill (except for the drugs/smoking) - and I like it that way.

No, but there are a lot of English majors. The Political Science Department is also excellent, maybe better than English.