Kettering University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Kettering University

Kyle

I love that I have the opportunity to do Co-op study. I really enjoy the hands on learning. I like to learn new things and work with others that are willing to teach me new things. The Co-op I'm working at is very educational and fun to work with others

Noelle

Kettering University, though very academically rigorous, is still a place where students have fun and are very involved in the community and on campus in various clubs and activities. Many people will dog on the location because it is in Flint, but downtown Flint is a fun place to hang out with friends with lots of cool restaurants and coffee shops.

Nolan

I love the school. It is very hard and very stressful but so worth it.

anastasia

Its a great college to get your education. They have the co-op program therefore a lot of opportunities open up. Its great academic wise but I wouldn't choose it if you wanted to have a college experience. But overall, if you want a fast start this is the college for you.

Marlee

I love it there! Campus is usually pretty quiet, but there are plenty of opportunities to get involved in something that interests you. There is a co-op experience which requires each student to interview with and work for an employer in their selected field of interest. It's an incredible opportunity for work experience in your field, and students come out extremely well prepared for work after college. Living on campus is pretty nice. The dorms are old, but there are tunnels connecting it to the campus center where the cafeteria is and the academic building where most classes are held so that's great for when it's raining or snowy outside. Academically, classes are hard and the work load is heavy, but I know I'll come out prepared for the work force. Overall, Kettering was the perfect choice for me.

Melody

I love Kettering, but it isn't for everyone. I adjusted fairly quickly to everything the campus had to offer and it is really small so you can strike up a conversation with anyone. The people on campus are lively and there is usually something you can do to pass the time or have fun, although you do have to make plenty of time for homework and studying.

Schipper

I have always loved the idea of going to Kettering, but don't get me wrong it is a super tough school. With only 11 weeks of class its always crunch time but it well worth it as you get a payed job 6 months out of the year. I pays for itself if you graduation and have tough mental fortitude.

Joseph

Kettering University is a challenging program to go through, but it isn't impossible as long as you put in the work. The atmosphere is very inviting and everybody is very friendly and willing to chat. The actual size of the campus is a great advantage, requiring at most a ten-minute walk at a casual pace. There is also a tunnel that connects the dorms (Thompson hall) to the campus center (CC) and the academic building (AB). Many labs are held in the Mott building, such as the Gen Chem labs or the CAD labs. The main areas that students hang out are the Sunset lounge inside the CC and "the Pool" right outside the CC during the summer. The Pool is a large courtyard where students hang out to eat lunch, play games, and announce rush events. KU has several soccer fields and baseball/softball diamonds behind the Recreational Center, these fields are used for the intramural sports and are also free to be used by the students. KU also has a small stadium called Atwood Stadium where the finals for intramural games are usually held. There are a variety of clubs to join as well, such as Trap and Skeet, Anime Club, Physics Club, and many more. To complement the curriculum and the Co-Op experience, Kettering University also offers several SAE teams such as Snowmobile SAE and Formula SAE. The curriculum is a little more aggressive compared to most other universities due to the time constraints from the Co-Op program, requiring students to take at least 16 credits and a couple 20 credit terms in order to graduate on time (within five years). Overall, Kettering University has been a very good experience so far, and I would definitely recommend it to any driven student who is interested in STEM degrees and who also wants a good education with real-world experience that will help them with their careers in the real world.

Zachary

Kettering University is the perfect place for anyone going into any form of engineering. The class sizes are small, which makes the student-teacher relationship much more personal, which helps a lot with the challenging curriculum. The best thing about Kettering has to be the Co-op program, which gives a great opportunity to make some extra money, get real work experience in your field, and possibly secure a job after graduation.

I believe Kettering is a very challenging school, but there are so many resources on campus to help you with your studies. Also, since Kettering is a small school you really get to know the people in your classes. One of the best things about Kettering is the co-op program. Kettering facilitates job fairs to help students find the right job for them. I believe Kettering University is a great college for students who are willing to work hard and challenge themselves.

Morgan

Kettering University is full of innovators. You can always find someone working on a way to better the world. We may be small, but we are full those who seek to learn. We are fast paced, learning a semester's material in just 10 weeks. We also have a wonderful Co-op program where students get hands on experience in their field and get paid to do it! The university is year round, but students only spend 3 months on campus at a time.

Mary

I fell in love with Kettering University for a multitude of reasons. It has an intimate atmosphere with small class sizes, provides students with an excellent education, and provides invaluable work experience. Perhaps Kettering is not perfect, no school is, but it was the best fit for me and I love it.

Maegan

The students and staff are very friendly. You can always find help when you need it, and there are plenty of resources located around the campus. The campus is quite small, so there is no need for a car. Everything is just a short walk away which is always nice. It is located in Flint, but they assure your safety.

Daniel

Kettering University is overall a great University. It is a small, private college with about 80% male to female ratio. However, where it lacks in the social aspect it makes up for in academics. The small class size truly does allow you to get to know your professor on a personal level much like in high school. Also the co-op work program is second to none. Kettering grads get to graduate with 2.5 years of work experience in their field of study and more times than not get a full-time job offer from the company they work for.

Brianna

This is an excellent school for educational purposes, but socially, especially if you are an African American, it can be really tough. People often give me mean stares, and ignore me when I say good morning or good afternoon. It is not just students either, it is also faculty. People here are afraid of people of color. for myself, personally, I am able to overcome these things and focus on school. I am here for the education, which is a great education, not for the social adversity, which is awful.

Karen

Its a great school with the co-op program. The classes are all challenging and intellectually stimulating. The only downside is the cost of attending a private university like this.

Luke

Great place to get an engineering degree. Classes are small and well-taught, and mandatory co-op terms mean you graduate with plenty of experience. Clubs and teams aren't much to speak of, but Greek life is off the charts (almost 50% involvement). Overall, it has some weaknesses but they aren't ones I personally care about (like the clubs thing), so I love Kettering.

I love the school. I have teachers that are always readily available and accessible. If I have trouble with an academic or even life issue I'm able to go to them for help. the classes can vary from really big to a very small and beneficial size. The Co-op program is an amazing program that allows for students to work at real world job to get experience and build a relationship with the employers. the students work full time for three months and then school for three months(or vice versa depending on section) and it goes on for the four years of college which allows students to apply what they learned in their school to the real world. this also allows for students to get immediately hire right after school finishes which eliminates the "now what?" feel most graduates have.

Perry

Kettering can be a good time if you start off well. The dorms are a rip-off, but I met some really good friends in the dorms since it is required for the first year. The food for the meal plan is not the best, but it's buffet style. The classes are good, but there are still some bad professors. The Co-op program is really nice since you get the experience, and you get payed during it.

Julia

Great! The best choice I could've made was coming to Kettering. I can't believe how amazing and accessible the professors are and one of my courses is even taught by the president of Kettering himself! He has a doctorate in Astrophysics and it is going to be a class to remember.

Luke

I like Kettering overall because of their elite education and the co-op program that essentially guarantees every student an internship throughout college. There are two things I don't love about it though. First, it's in Flint so it's not a great area to live, although campus is kept safe. The second thing is the fact that we have no sports teams.

Jenna

I love the academics. Class sizes are great, you can get one-on-one help, but some of the professors are unfair. Student atmosphere is okay. Students are extremely competitive and sometimes won't help each other because they want to be the best. It is a very small campus so everyone mostly knows everyone, which is a good and bad thing. Recreation center is nice. We have intermural sports which are pretty popular for the fraternities/sororities and freshmen. Only on campus housing available are the dorms and campus apartments, which are very outdated. Cafeteria food is okay. Most students join a fraternity/sorority because of the housing and academic assistance. There are many opportunities to get involved in the campus and community, and for professional development. I feel that the school focuses more about recruiting potential students than it does caring about the students that are already enrolled.

Jaclyn

I have visited Kettering a couple of times, usually with my FIRST Robotics team. The faculty and students are always nice. The environment is cozy and welcoming. The class sizes are medium, it's a little more than I'm used to but not bad. I completely feel safe on campus

M

I have had a terrible experience at Kettering. I come from out of state so I am one of very few. On weekends, anyone from Michigan goes home so us out of state kids are alone on campus. If you are not a part of Greek life, you are very left out. Greek life participates in most rec sports so If you aren't Greek, you basically cant participate. The campus is definitely a engineering school. Plus is when dorming that you get your own room. I also like the teacher to student ratio. The only reason I still go here is for the co-op program. If you are from Michigan and are super into engineering and Greek life then you would probably be fine.

Pradnya

Not really great.

Daniel

Its an amazing school with a unique program that is advantageous to anyone in the engineering field. The class sizes are small allowing for lots of one on one time. The school is very academic oriented and not much of a party school which allows students to become more focused on their classes.

It's an amazing school and I love going here. Most professors want you to succeed and are willing to help you reach your goals. The classes aren't easy if you don't have help. Kettering is very small, so the students and faculty are all very close. The only thing wrong with this place is how much it costs.

Brandon

It is a pretty unique university in the sense that it is intense from beginning to end. We have a zero week to move in, and then we are swarmed by rigorous academia until finals week. Once the semester is completed, we are quickly escorted out to start a 12 week work term at an established co-op. This can even start before you take academic classes at the university.

Hunter

Kettering University is a great choice for students who are looking for an opportunity to learn more beyond the classroom. Kettering University has a lot to offer from its great co-op program, academics, faculty and professors, and Greek life and clubs. The main issues are the location and the campus itself. One of the main quirks that helps Kettering University stand out is its co-op program. In this program, students build valuable networking skills while seeking a full-time position as an intern for a company in their field of study for 3 months at a time, twice a year. During this time, students gain work experience related to their major, jumpstarting their career, and at the end, student’s graduate with 2.5 years of related experience. In fact, most students end up getting hired as a full time employee at their co-op when they graduate. This program is a huge reason I chose to attend this school, and it is a big selling point for many of my peers as well. Kettering University’s strongest majors are in its engineering programs, being ranked 16th nationally among non-Ph.D. universities, according to the 2019 U.S. News and World Report ‘Best Colleges’ edition released last year. However, its other majors are improving, as the departments for majors like Chemistry and Biochemistry are rapidly growing. Even a noticeable fraction of Mechanical Engineering majors choose to double major in Biochemistry. As a Chemical Engineering major, all of my classes have been very informative with great professors who are always available to help. The academic programs definitely rival other top schools in Michigan, however the main flaws with Kettering lie within the campus and “college life”. The school is located in Flint, MI, which is known to not be the greatest city, especially with current events. Campus safety does a fantastic job of ensuring both students and faculty are safe, but the surrounding region of Flint is a mixed bag. The faculty working on campus is very friendly and helpful as well for any co-op, scheduling, parking, and housing questions. However, the campus itself is quite small, which is a plus for me, but may be a negative for others. The food and the dorms are about average. Though, the dorms on campus do come with a mini refrigerator and microwave, along with a dividing wall and door for a roommate. The main flaw with the “college life” is the fast paced semester increases the difficulty of the courses and creates more hours of homework a night. This is definitely not a party school, but one of the mottos is work hard and play hard. Lastly, there are lots of different extracurricular opportunities for students. There are no sports programs here (meaning Kettering University is undefeated in every single sport against other schools), however intermural sports are a huge on-campus activity. Greek life is strongly encouraged by the school, as it is a great way to meet and communicate with upperclassmen for school or networking purposes. There are also a wide variety of clubs on campus. Some discuss political opinions, some pursue hobbies, and some are solely academic. Both the clubs and Greek life can look great on a resume for instances of leadership experience. Overall, I would recommend Kettering University to any student that is serious about an engineering major. The co-op program is the main selling point for the school, but is a huge one at that. The classes are stuffed with information and the professors truly try to assist any student needing help. Academic assistance is also offered to students free of charge. There are a huge variety of clubs on campus for almost every interest and Greek life is very beneficial. The main problems lie within the actual campus, but I even feel extremely safe on campus and next to campus. It is difficult to venture further out though. The school has some small problems that still need to be worked out, but attending Kettering University becomes more of a lifestyle than a school.

Diana

My overall opinion of Kettering University is that they want to help their students succeed in their goals of becoming a professional in science. They always provided us with opportunities to further our education as well as grant us access to stress relieving activities.

chiny

Overall, Kettering is a swell school/university. It's diverse and it happens to be a huge part of what i loved in high school and that's robotics. Team 5150, The Hybrid Hornets of Kearsley High School, was my team. Not only that but my dad went to this college and from what I hear, Students come out of Kettering making nearly six figures which is due to its co-op program; Which I've come to really love.