Keuka Park, NY

Keuka College

« See more reviews of Keuka College

The initial orientation at Keuka College provided excellent guidance, techniques, and opportunities for students to transition into college-life, which for some can cause great anxiety. The first 2 years at Keuka provided a base of required core coursework to prepare students for their Bachelor level programs. Keuka College allowed me to participate in the Social Work program where the small private school setting including small class sizes provided individualized experienctial education. Close working relationships were easily developed between professors, students and peers and allowed for a comfortable and enviting environment for learning. Keuka College is the 'National Leader in experiential hands-on learning' (Keuka College home page) requiring students to complete four field periods, each 140 hour internships. The internships may (Junior/senior year)/may not (freshman/sophomore years) be related to the intended major of the student allowing opportunity to explore a variety of fields. I am thoroughly satisfied with the education I received at Keuka College and would not change that experience if offered a chance to redo my college experience.

If I were to revisit my Senior year in High School, I would advise myself to - first of all - relax. Just because your high school classmates are getting accepted into Yale and Notre Dame doesn't mean they're better than you, they're just at a different stage in their lives. Secondly, I would let myself know that College isn't anything like High School, it is much more independent and you will need to develop personal responsibility with major time management, organization, and initiative. The transition from High School to Community College wasn't a difficult one for me, however the pressure to decide my career and future university choices continued to antagonize my thoughts like a buzzing mosquito. I would inform myself that Community College was the right decision, and although it may have felt as though I missed out on the first two years of a "real" College experience, I now have the knowledge of a College student who has their future plotted out clearly, which is worth much more than a few blurry memories of frat parties. Often times it just takes time to feel comfortable making large, expensive, and educational commitments. That's okay.

Now that I'm in college, there are a couple things I would tell my “senior” self. Most important, develop a study method and perfect it. Starting college without an effective study routine is time consuming and possibly devastating to your first GPA. Figure out the best way to block out time for sports, academics, friends and family. “I should have” is not a phrase you want to hear yourself say often, make the most of everyday as well as all the scholarships available to you. Have a decent bedtime and try to stick to it, you’ll be glad when you’re not falling asleep in that boring 8 o’clock ethics class. Also, don’t slack or skip much senior year, if at all. Make the most of it both socially and academically. Challenge yourself so you don’t go through academic shock your first semester. Establishing a good relationship with your English teacher wouldn’t hurt either. They’ll be more than happy to hear from you and proofread your college papers if you become friends. Lastly, learn to be flexible while also keeping your priorities straight. School comes first but know when you need a break.

Dear Sarah, As an intelligent young woman there are some things you need to know about life, but there is one particular sound advice you need to hear about--your education. Education is very important and what you need to understand now is that doing well in school such as getting good grades, doing extra curricular activites, and taking dual credits classes as a Senior in high school will only help you get geared into the college spirt of pursing your dreams. Your motivation now as a high schooler will only empower you to reach your educational goals, if you stay focused and driven. College can be challenging, and the one thing that will keep you goal oriented is if you realize that failures and trials will come up in your life, but have faith and keep your head up high. Accept who you are, you are not a failure. Your mistakes don't define you who you are, its what you make of them-- God has given you an incredible spirt and drive to pursue godliness! Keep God first this year, and make the most of every opportunity--I challenge you to do so. Sincerely, Your Consciousness

If I could go back as a senior I would tell myself many things. First, take all of the AP courses you have availible to you. Every credit ads up, in college you will soon find that a mere 3 credits is worth alot of money and time to which you can use to focus on other classes. Second, dont choose a college based on where your friends go, this is the begining of your lifes chapter, take this time to learn about yourself, as well as be graced with the power of education. If you are going into a health related field of study you should take the time to join a local fire department or ambulance corps, this can give you a reality check and you will realize that this is what your lifes work is dedicated to and that a great college is another tool to get you there. Last, be introverted, in college your effort and your work ethics are your own, a college education is the greatest oppotunity for you to be successful, why wouldnt you put anything less than your personal best, you can start out with great time managment. Good luck senior!

Arlene, please do not reject the wisdom of your teachers. PLEASE. I urge you to consider the actions you are taking right now that could affect your future. Do you know how much you will be missing because of your carelessness in that history class? Go back right now and speak to the counselor; she will be the there to help you if you don't understand. Stay close to those friends who care about school. In doing this, you will save yourself time to analyze what will benefit you for your future. Arlene, I have seen what it will look like-- moneywill be difficult to find, getting into the school you want will be much longer, if you even can get in. Go back to that art teacher you have and heed her warning! Do not neglect the wisdom of those who care most about you! Care about yourself. Get good grades and participate in as much as you can, for it will help for future references; trust me. Stay focused. Stay alert. Be persistent. Arlene, I know it is hard now and it gets tiring in school, but don't give up! You'll get your reward.

I am only a sophomore in college; however, I have already gotten numerous experiences that are valuable to me. When I was in high school, I was skeptical to be on my own and to meet new friends. Before college, my mother would do my laundry, so I had to learn how to do my own laundry and learn how to start my own life. Out of my college experience so far, I am confident with my classes and I have settled down to where I can use time management skills to study, do homework, and socialize with friends in order to keep that balance. College has taught me how to become an individual and discover who I want to be; which is an Occupational Therapist. I am no longer living with my parents and relying on them for everything; therefore, I am more independent and I can take on new responsibilities. College is a like a roller coaster. There will be moments of ups and down regarding school work and stress, but having great friends right beside you supporting and encouraging you makes college one of the best experiences of my life.

It is okay to make mistakes. There is always room for error so don't sweat the little things! Your parents will love you and continue to love you even if you change your mind or find yourself in a crisis. Be yourself. Love yourself and others will have respect for you. Take risks and put yourself out there. Only when you put yourself in new situations will you realize how truly strong you are. Smile and be happy. Remember what your ultimate goal is; the degree. You won't be able to get a job if you've already ripped out all your hair while getting your education. So relax. Be adventurous but safe. Make the most of every situation and you will find the key to contentment. Never stop dreaming. Let those preposterous ideas keep flying around in your head. Take each idea and run with it. And, lastly, push yourself. Take what you think you can do and triple it. The things you will do are greater than you can imagine. Study, learn, and work hard. Keep pushing through, because this is just the beginning!

If i could go back in time and talk to my self as a high school senior , i will tell myself not to take my senior year for granted. Alot of high school student start to mess around when they enter 12grade, thinking that's the end of high school. They endup failling the rest of their classes for a stupid reason "am a senior now!" . I wish i was the very best student in high school. i wish i had listened to my teachers and did all the extra works that was assigned to me without thinking is a no credit class so am not taking it. I've learnt that making alot of friends without finding out about them and the things they do can affect me. As the saying goes "show me your friend and i'll show you your chracter." What ever decision you make, will be the result you get in the near future. and i've also leart that, whatever you do, you should do it in your best ability. Because nobody ever did or will escape the concequences of their choices. I will make sure i don't repeat my mistakes again here.

The ability to talk to myself as a high school senior would be an amazing opportunity. If I knew then what I do now I would have had a superbly better start in college. I would first inform myself that it is not as simple to move away from home as I once thought. One must learn to balance school and fun without the help of mom yelling "you can't go out until you finish your homework!" Forcing yourself to choose school over your friends is harder than it sounds. Also, going into college I was very shy, and hesitant to speak with people I didn't know very well. If I could go back I would tell myself to get over my fears and step out of my comfort zone, because college is all about meeting new people. If I wanted to associate only with those I've known for years I should never have left home in the first place! Finally, apply yourself, and DO NOT SKIP CLASS! If your professor sees you are truly trying, he or she will be more likely to assist you when you are struggling with a course.