Keuka College Top Questions

College is going to be scary. But only at first. It's a wonderful opportunity to start fresh and present yourself how you would like to. But just remember that as much as you want to change, you should also bring some parts of yourself with you throughout your four years at college. Look how much you have already been though. It would have all been very difficult if you were not the person you are. So remember to open your mind to new thoughts and new people but don't forget who you are-look how far you've brought yourself!

Go with your gut. you were an education major, now look at yourself. your senior year, going back to being an education major. Study more. Don't drink as much.

Apply to college and go. It's not as scary as it seems. I know it doesn't feel like college is improtant right now but you will be so much better off if you will go. Study, study, study because education is the only thing that can help you acheive the goals you have. Mothers need to have knowlege and your life is going to take some unexpected turns. An education is going to be essentual to taking care of your family. Stop being so scared to raise your hand and ask for help. You do not have to do everything onyour own. There are a lot of people in your life that want to see you suceed and they will help you along the way. It's ok to fail and make mistakes. That is how we learn and progress. As long as you keep trying things will work out. Tomorrow always come and the world has yet to stop spinning because you made a wrong choice. Learn from it and take the next step. It's going to be hard but everything you do is so worth the efforts you put forth.I have faith in you.

Sammi

If I were to revisit my Senior year in High School, I would advise myself to - first of all - relax. Just because your high school classmates are getting accepted into Yale and Notre Dame doesn't mean they're better than you, they're just at a different stage in their lives. Secondly, I would let myself know that College isn't anything like High School, it is much more independent and you will need to develop personal responsibility with major time management, organization, and initiative. The transition from High School to Community College wasn't a difficult one for me, however the pressure to decide my career and future university choices continued to antagonize my thoughts like a buzzing mosquito. I would inform myself that Community College was the right decision, and although it may have felt as though I missed out on the first two years of a "real" College experience, I now have the knowledge of a College student who has their future plotted out clearly, which is worth much more than a few blurry memories of frat parties. Often times it just takes time to feel comfortable making large, expensive, and educational commitments. That's okay.

sara

Now that I'm in college, there are a couple things I would tell my “senior” self. Most important, develop a study method and perfect it. Starting college without an effective study routine is time consuming and possibly devastating to your first GPA. Figure out the best way to block out time for sports, academics, friends and family. “I should have” is not a phrase you want to hear yourself say often, make the most of everyday as well as all the scholarships available to you. Have a decent bedtime and try to stick to it, you’ll be glad when you’re not falling asleep in that boring 8 o’clock ethics class. Also, don’t slack or skip much senior year, if at all. Make the most of it both socially and academically. Challenge yourself so you don’t go through academic shock your first semester. Establishing a good relationship with your English teacher wouldn’t hurt either. They’ll be more than happy to hear from you and proofread your college papers if you become friends. Lastly, learn to be flexible while also keeping your priorities straight. School comes first but know when you need a break.

I would tell myself that I will come across some teachers that I may not agree with or get along with, but that I cannot let that affect my grades. They may not seem to like me either but that's okay because I don't need to get along with everyone. I need to have patience with the people that aggravate me but to also do my best on all my tests and papers. I also need to study more, I can get away with not always studying but I absolutely must develop some study skills for future tests. And definitely make the time to read for class because it helps comprehension so much it is not even funny. Otherwise, make friends, try to get out of your room as much as possible, and try to balance school, work, and fun and not over do one or the other.

Dear Sarah, As an intelligent young woman there are some things you need to know about life, but there is one particular sound advice you need to hear about--your education. Education is very important and what you need to understand now is that doing well in school such as getting good grades, doing extra curricular activites, and taking dual credits classes as a Senior in high school will only help you get geared into the college spirt of pursing your dreams. Your motivation now as a high schooler will only empower you to reach your educational goals, if you stay focused and driven. College can be challenging, and the one thing that will keep you goal oriented is if you realize that failures and trials will come up in your life, but have faith and keep your head up high. Accept who you are, you are not a failure. Your mistakes don't define you who you are, its what you make of them-- God has given you an incredible spirt and drive to pursue godliness! Keep God first this year, and make the most of every opportunity--I challenge you to do so. Sincerely, Your Consciousness

Ariel

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would a have a great amount of advice to give myself. First, I would tell myself to try harder. In high school, I was top of my class and didn't give it my all. The college became a shock to me my freshman year when my grades weren't as great as I hoped. Now, since I'm almost a junior, I know that college is a lot harder than high school. I would also tell myself not to procrastinate when it comes to applying to college and for scholarships. Lastly, I would tell myself to get involved as much as possible in high school, because it truly helps you in college. If you get involved in high school you are more likely to get involved in college, and that is the best way to make friends. I wouldn't change a lot about my senior year in high school, but it definitely would have been helpful to have know these hints.

Janelle

When you are planning your internshps think bigger that you thought. You thought you had great plans and you did because they got you where you wanted to go! But think bigger the world really is your playground and you could have gotten more unique experiences earlier if you had wanted. Keep in touch with friends from high school closer and make sure that they know they are important to you. Don't get in the car! Don't let Katelynn or Shannon get in the car either! Stay at school and watch tv or do homework or something. Then you won't get hurt and you won't have to leave everyone. Yea she will be mad, but you will make new friends and things will be better than ever! Enjoy college to the fullest! You are only young once and you need to get all the experiences that you can get.

arlene

Arlene, please do not reject the wisdom of your teachers. PLEASE. I urge you to consider the actions you are taking right now that could affect your future. Do you know how much you will be missing because of your carelessness in that history class? Go back right now and speak to the counselor; she will be the there to help you if you don't understand. Stay close to those friends who care about school. In doing this, you will save yourself time to analyze what will benefit you for your future. Arlene, I have seen what it will look like-- moneywill be difficult to find, getting into the school you want will be much longer, if you even can get in. Go back to that art teacher you have and heed her warning! Do not neglect the wisdom of those who care most about you! Care about yourself. Get good grades and participate in as much as you can, for it will help for future references; trust me. Stay focused. Stay alert. Be persistent. Arlene, I know it is hard now and it gets tiring in school, but don't give up! You'll get your reward.

Mariam

If i could go back in time and talk to my self as a high school senior , i will tell myself not to take my senior year for granted. Alot of high school student start to mess around when they enter 12grade, thinking that's the end of high school. They endup failling the rest of their classes for a stupid reason "am a senior now!" . I wish i was the very best student in high school. i wish i had listened to my teachers and did all the extra works that was assigned to me without thinking is a no credit class so am not taking it. I've learnt that making alot of friends without finding out about them and the things they do can affect me. As the saying goes "show me your friend and i'll show you your chracter." What ever decision you make, will be the result you get in the near future. and i've also leart that, whatever you do, you should do it in your best ability. Because nobody ever did or will escape the concequences of their choices. I will make sure i don't repeat my mistakes again here.

It is okay to make mistakes. There is always room for error so don't sweat the little things! Your parents will love you and continue to love you even if you change your mind or find yourself in a crisis. Be yourself. Love yourself and others will have respect for you. Take risks and put yourself out there. Only when you put yourself in new situations will you realize how truly strong you are. Smile and be happy. Remember what your ultimate goal is; the degree. You won't be able to get a job if you've already ripped out all your hair while getting your education. So relax. Be adventurous but safe. Make the most of every situation and you will find the key to contentment. Never stop dreaming. Let those preposterous ideas keep flying around in your head. Take each idea and run with it. And, lastly, push yourself. Take what you think you can do and triple it. The things you will do are greater than you can imagine. Study, learn, and work hard. Keep pushing through, because this is just the beginning!

I would tell myself to follow my dreams now! I attended a college close to home because I was afaird to venture out. Now I see that I was silly and wrong. A few months into the first semester, I was feeling like I wasn't where I was supposed to be. Keuka now feels like i'm learning what im supposed to be learning where I am supposed to be learning it. Oh! And don't forget to apply for evry scholarship I possibly can.

The advice I would give myself is to learn how to time manage better. My first year of college was brutal because I had no idea what I was getting into work load wise, and I was never good at time management. If you do not balance out work and fun you will go crazy with stress!

Suzanne

The initial orientation at Keuka College provided excellent guidance, techniques, and opportunities for students to transition into college-life, which for some can cause great anxiety. The first 2 years at Keuka provided a base of required core coursework to prepare students for their Bachelor level programs. Keuka College allowed me to participate in the Social Work program where the small private school setting including small class sizes provided individualized experienctial education. Close working relationships were easily developed between professors, students and peers and allowed for a comfortable and enviting environment for learning. Keuka College is the 'National Leader in experiential hands-on learning' (Keuka College home page) requiring students to complete four field periods, each 140 hour internships. The internships may (Junior/senior year)/may not (freshman/sophomore years) be related to the intended major of the student allowing opportunity to explore a variety of fields. I am thoroughly satisfied with the education I received at Keuka College and would not change that experience if offered a chance to redo my college experience.

I have made many friends, went to many events including concerts and comedians. I have gained much needed experience in my career field. My college requires an internship every year which is helpful to narrow down exactly what I want to do.

I am only a sophomore in college; however, I have already gotten numerous experiences that are valuable to me. When I was in high school, I was skeptical to be on my own and to meet new friends. Before college, my mother would do my laundry, so I had to learn how to do my own laundry and learn how to start my own life. Out of my college experience so far, I am confident with my classes and I have settled down to where I can use time management skills to study, do homework, and socialize with friends in order to keep that balance. College has taught me how to become an individual and discover who I want to be; which is an Occupational Therapist. I am no longer living with my parents and relying on them for everything; therefore, I am more independent and I can take on new responsibilities. College is a like a roller coaster. There will be moments of ups and down regarding school work and stress, but having great friends right beside you supporting and encouraging you makes college one of the best experiences of my life.

As a student currently enrolled in an Esthetics program for the 2010-2011 school year, I plan to get the most out of my learning experience as possible. I begin classes in September and will graduate in 8 months. During that time, I will learn how to better understand all aspects of skin care and related subjects. The esthetics course is valuable for me because it will teach me necessary skills to further my career as a successful esthetician.

Kendra

Starting out college I was terrified to leave home. I hated the first week, and barely tolerated the first two years. But during the first three years of college, I gained my backbone. I was able to stick up for myself and the things I believe. I became stronger and did not just follow in the footsteps of my brother and friends anymore. I became my own person. I can see the changes in myself when I get home and everyone expects me to be this shy girl still, and I am not anymore. I found myself and what I truly believe in and value in life.

I have gotten the opportunity to connect with people in the field of my study. I have seen what it is like on the inside on a daily basis and it helps inspire me to be a teacher and be the best possible teacher I could be.

Jo

I have not yet attended this college. I do love the campus atmosphere, the friendliness of the staff and the student support systems they do have in place to make sure you succeed. I have known Keuka College has been here in the Finger Lakes my whole life since I grew up in the region, and have yet to hear anything bad about them, their education or their staff. I feel it is a quality institution to get your education from, and especially since the class sizes are smaller so that you get more hands-on, one-on-one attention that each student deserves.

If I could go back in time to last year when I was a senior I wish I would have pushed myself harder. There were classes I slacked off in. As soon as I got accepted to college I gave up trying in school. I figured it wasnt necessary, considering I was already in college. As you grow up you learn that knowledge is something that never goes away. You should always be pushing yourself to do your best. Im not saying that senior year shouldnt be fun, but Im saying it shouldnt be an academic waste of time. Senior year is a time when you can actually save alot of money when it comes to college. Taking advanced classes such as college level classes can really save you money in the long run. Speaking of saving money I wish someone would have pushed me alittle harder to apply for all the possible scholarships. When your a High School senior there are much more scholarship opportunites than for any other age group. Senior year is the time when money should be taken seriously.

I would go back and tell myself, be ready to get a social life. In high school, I had no life outside of what happened in school. When I got into college, I was thrust into friendships and activities. Living with my classmates twenty four hours a day, you see them all the time. Therefore, you spend time with them all the time. Unfortunately, I took a break from studying and school being a number one priority so that I could enjoy having fun and friends. This was a mistake. If I had stayed strong, I would have been able to manage both. So my advice to myself would be to stay strong to academics and to structure my social life around academics.

Candice

The ability to talk to myself as a high school senior would be an amazing opportunity. If I knew then what I do now I would have had a superbly better start in college. I would first inform myself that it is not as simple to move away from home as I once thought. One must learn to balance school and fun without the help of mom yelling "you can't go out until you finish your homework!" Forcing yourself to choose school over your friends is harder than it sounds. Also, going into college I was very shy, and hesitant to speak with people I didn't know very well. If I could go back I would tell myself to get over my fears and step out of my comfort zone, because college is all about meeting new people. If I wanted to associate only with those I've known for years I should never have left home in the first place! Finally, apply yourself, and DO NOT SKIP CLASS! If your professor sees you are truly trying, he or she will be more likely to assist you when you are struggling with a course.

King

I would tell myself to do my homework. Now more than ever I have so much work and I wasn't prepared because in high school I put it off. So that would be the first thing I would do, second would have to be take more challenging classes so I was able to tell what college would be like and making the adjustment wouldn't be so hard. My finally advice would be learn how to balance, the balance between college and your social life is one hard thing. If you learn in high school there shouldn't be trouble in college.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a High School Senior, I would defanitley tell myself to apply to as many colleges as possibe as early as possibe because college life is actually a lot of fun and I would want myself to have a better chance at getting into school and allowed to live on campus instead of waiting like I did before. Also to make sure that i dont slack off when i get to college because it truly only hurts yourself when you decide to transfer to a better school.

If I could go back as a senior I would tell myself many things. First, take all of the AP courses you have availible to you. Every credit ads up, in college you will soon find that a mere 3 credits is worth alot of money and time to which you can use to focus on other classes. Second, dont choose a college based on where your friends go, this is the begining of your lifes chapter, take this time to learn about yourself, as well as be graced with the power of education. If you are going into a health related field of study you should take the time to join a local fire department or ambulance corps, this can give you a reality check and you will realize that this is what your lifes work is dedicated to and that a great college is another tool to get you there. Last, be introverted, in college your effort and your work ethics are your own, a college education is the greatest oppotunity for you to be successful, why wouldnt you put anything less than your personal best, you can start out with great time managment. Good luck senior!

I would tell myself not to be afraid of what you think will happen. College is a time to open yourself up to new experiences and really findd out who you are. I would let myself know that everything always works out and that my mind will be free to grow and expand, as I myself grow and expand into a better person. I would let myself know that I don't have to worry about not having friends because I have made life long friends at Keuka and am still able to keep in touch with friends from high school. Also I would tell myself that it will pay off to do a lot of extra curricular activities at school because it helps open you up to new experiences!

Krysta

One of the most imporant lessons learned on my part was taking advantage of my parents helping me pay for my college. I had no concept of money and I didn't give my studies all the attention I should have. Now that I am 25 years old and going back to college and paying for it all on my own, I am much more aware of the importance of my grades and how much money college costs. Working full time with an Associates degree is not taking me as far as I would have thoght when I first graduated. That is another imporatant lesson I have learned. I should have never stopped at an Associates degree, I should have continued when I was fresh out of high school. That is okay though, I am determined and ready to complete my Bachelor's and Master's Degree with a little financial help hopefully.

I would tell myself to research as many colleges and visits as many colleges as you have opportunities to. Also, I would tell myself to go for my dreams and do not always disregard something because you are worried about money. Experience new things and have the time of your life because you will never get these opportunities again.

I wish i would have paid more attention in high school, I think a lot of people take it for granted. I say that because a lot of the professors talk about things the we learned in 10th or 11th grade but more in depth and I dont remember a lot of that. Also I would have saved up more money for myself to go to school because I dont have a job to get money and its hard to get one because I dont have my car. And even if I had my car at school I would need the money to get gas.

Gina

Make sure to visit the campus and sit in for a few classes. Go on more than one tour of the campus. Talk to current students about the school, and also talk to the faculty.

The advice that I would give to parents/ students about finding the right college is to work hard. Highschool is key and the grades are important to finding a great school. Be patient and have an open mind. You can't always get what you want. The biggest thing is have a back up plan so apply to many schools that interest you. Don't just apply look at them see if they have what you want. Make a pro con list, ask for advice. Also, if you are not sure about your major maybe go to community college till you figure it out. There is no rush to choose a college or a major. School is very important it provides you with a career for the rest of your life. Love what you do and have fun. There is always time to study and have fun!

For both parents and students. Number one is VISIT THE COLLEGE! Pick the atmosphere that fits your son/daughter best or that they can adjust to over time. Ask professors and upperclassmen as many questions as possible about the schools classes, food, activities, and school spirit. Distance is key. Remember the further you are away the harder it is to come home again. Base the choice of your school on your personality for the most part. Things to ask yourself are as followed: Can i live with people I have never met? Will I be able to not see family and friends on a daily/weekly basis? What do i prefer big cities or small towns? How much work can I handle? Is this what I really want? starting out with these questions will lead to others on your mind. Take your time in choosing. Parents just help guide and support your children in whatever disicion they make . Dont be afraid to let them go because they will always love you and come when in need.

Nailah

Make sure that you do college visits and that the school has the major that you want instead of having to study another major to get to where you want. Also make sure that you talk to the students to get their point of view about the college. Each college is different for people some might like it ans some may not.

try something new

If I were to give advice to parents and/or students about making the most of the college experience I would tell them that it begins with the college search. This may be obvious to most, but through my time working in the admissions office at my college, I feel that students who go in more depth with their college search often will adjust better to college life. I would tell parents and students that when visiting a college to ask as many questions as possible, even if they might seem dumb at the time. Choosing a college is a big investment, and it should be treated as such. But I will also tell anyone that college, no matter where you go, is what you make of it. Your reactions can cause you to love or hate a college. So, in conclusion, get involved. Both in the search for college, and as soon as transition week is over.

I would say just make sure you can afford the college all 4 years that your child will attend. I would also say talk to the student accounts office before you child get to college.

The student who is going to be going to college needs to make their own personal decision. Sure money is always a factor but four years is a long time especially if you are somewhere you don't like. Families are also very important but again, they will not be the ones attending the school. If a student starts off unhappy at a school, chances are they are not going to give that school a fair chance nor enjoy their college experience to the fullest extent possible. Let your child make their own decision and choose what's best for them, after all they will know themselves best. Also keep in mind that without a doubt everyone changes during the transition from high school to college and even more so throughout college so think about your future not your past.

What school makes you feel comfortable Is the program good how long has the program you are intrested been in place do the teachers have office hours that are flexable how friendly are the people on campus to each other vist every school your intrested in don't limit your self choose the school that fits your personality if you enjoy city life and the noise don't pick a backwood school where its harder to get to attractions and shopping.

Octavia

Students- Pick a college you know you will love and stay on campus (do not go home) for 6 weeks. The sooner a student goes home the more likely they will want to drop out. Also watch out for the freshmen fall out. Too much drinking CAN be fatal to your college carrer. Parents- Don't be a helocopter parent. Let your kids be free, but also be there for them if they need you.

Make sure you go and visit each college and make sure you feel confortable in the environment there. Just becuase the food is good the time you visit, don't let it fool you, as the year goes on it progressivly gets worse.

Choose a school that fits your academic, social, financial, spiritual, and emotional needs.

Heidi

I would suggest that you consider what you're interested in, what is realistic, and if you can't meet somewhere in the middle. And sometimes it is best to consider the distance in the final decision of the school you attend...it can hinder or help those family relationships being left behind. But it is important not to burn your bridges and to make sure to think everything through and not rely on mom and dad for everything because this is only the first of many steps that you will take of becoming your own person and living your own life.

Go and visit the college. If you have a chance talk to students that go there. If the money is right compromise and go where it is going to cost u less cuz in the long run you get the same education.

Patrice

The words of advice that i would give to parents and/or students that are looking into going to a college is to Visit, Ask questions, and always try. I say that a visit is important because then you can see what the school is all about, how large it is, hopefully see some of the students already there, and see first hand what they have to offer. I also feel you should ask questions, because with out asking some questions they answers you may need to determine the right college may go unanswered. I say try and truly believe it, because once you have been accepted to a college, there will always be things you like and dislike. for the things you dislike, try to find a way to like them. If you dont try to do new things. College is a great place, it is an excellent oppurtunity to learn, grow. and make life long friends. i will leave you with ,one more quote. "I will accept the things i can not change and change the things i can not accept." -Part of the serenity Prayer-

Sabrina

I wouls say go visit the place and know about the location. Make sure your okay with traveling the distance to get places. Know about classes you have to take that are not required by your major because most college have a bunch of classes they just want you to take so you are a well rounded person. Also check to see how well credits will transfer if you plan on only being there a year or two, and check to see if they transfer into the college you want to go to after. Look into if the school provides shuttles to places for shopping. And the most important thing is get involved, the college will only be what you make of it. So if you sit around and are board your college will be boaring.

For students, pick a place you know you want to go to. Even if it's a bit pricey, work to try and get those scholarships. Maybe you'll even score some nice financial aid. Your decision to where you want to go should be yours, and yours alone. Don't let anyone try and sway you otherwise. For parents, show your kids many different college brochures and tell them to apply to many schools. Go take that ridiculous long drive to that far away school just to see what it's like for both you and your kid. Look at the tuition for the schools that your kid is interested in. See what kind of financial measures must be made. Most of all, don't pick the school for your kid. Let them decide.

Will

The people giving tours always lie. You need to speak to the students not on administrations payroll. Also, be sure to visit several within one area.