King's College-Wilkes-Barre

« See more reviews of King's College-Wilkes-Barre

Graduating from high school and transiting into a college lifestlye is a big step in life. There are many changes involved in this process. There are more tolerance in high school compared to college. In high school it is okay to procastinate; no punishment is involved. College on the other hand is completely opposite. Grades will automatically dropped without any questions asked. It is important to learn how to obey and obtain information given by teachers/professors. One failed test can harm the whole entire semester grade since some courses are graded off of 3 assignments/tests. Thus, it is very difficult to bring the grade back up. There are also many more distractions such as parities in college. Thus, it is important to learn how to stay focus with school work. There are parties everywhere around campus almost every weekends. This could be very distracting because it involved alcohol assumption and other bad influences. Alcohol has the ability to alter the ways the brain functions which has the result of lower grades. Also, partying can be fun at times and carry students away and forget to complete an assignment or even attend class.

While my first semester is complete at King’s College I have acquired a lot. King’s College was the only College to accept me. I applied to six other Colleges and Universities, but was denied admissions because of my SAT scores. From my experience so far at college, I have become more self reliant, responsible, and accountable for my decisions and grades at college. Through my first semester I have learned that studying is a huge part of my life currently. Without reading textbooks, or going over class notes I would not be eligible for college. Studying is very important and demanding, the more studying you allow yourself before a test, the more likely you will do better on that test. Cram sessions will not get the grade expected compared to high school. For me attending College is very expensive, but valuable. College will give me the possibility to become an elementary school teacher. I have learned to value my parents for helping me get through college finically. Along with my professors who are providing me with a fantastic education. Without the opportunity of college I would never fulfill my dreams of teaching.

A school that is successful in fulfilling its mission statement - to develop its students holistically - while allowing me to fulfill my own goals, is extremely invaluable. As I applied to King's College, I selfishly focused on the academic curriculum and what my education would provide for me as far as being hired post-graduation. I have come to appreciate that my hard work over the last four years was not purely to reach my own goals. King’s has taught me the value of community, where our accomplishments can work towards a common good. The knowledge and skills that I have obtained while studying at King’s College will help me give back as a member of my community. This idea started small, starting out as a freshman on campus, being a friend to my neighbor, to being a teammate on the volleyball court, to being a tutor for my classmates, to volunteering in the community. As a professional, I will continue these same ideals through improving the quality of life of my patients, as I utilize my degree in Physician Assistance, and my desire to help others, as King’s so helped me achieve.

The advice that I would give prospective students and their parents about college would be look at a wide variety of colleges - do not get stuck on one "dream" college. If you weigh your options as I did, you will be surprised with what various colleges have to offer. Taking advantage of open houses is very beneficial as well as setting up a meeting time with different administrators or heads of different departments. As a present junior in college, the advice I would give on making the most of your college experience would be to get involved! Many colleges have numerous clubs and organizations. Ranging from common interest groups to service organizations and varsity sports/clubs, all of these activities are fun and a way to meet new people. Although it is very important to make the most of your money, meaning take advantage of the education you are receiving and do not settle for anything less than your highest potential, college is also about forming bonds and friendships that will last a lifetime. I really believe the college search is encompassed by finding somewhere that suits you.

Students should always go where their hearts direct them and parents should always be supportive. College is an important experience for all people and students should go where they believe is best for them. College is about finding oneself and discovering who you are, in addition to preparing one for a future career; if a student chooses a college based on anything other than where they want to go, they may not be getting all that they can out of their college experience. This is why parents need to support their children and urge them to choose the school that is best for them; if a student picks and attends the college that they wish to go to, they will succeed better than if they attend a college that someone else forces upon them. So students, pick the college the suits you best and that you could see yourself happy at, and parents help your kids through the process by supporting them and realizing that what is important is that they are going to be learning about themselves at college as well as gaining experience for a career. College is a vital experience in a person's life.

First, as a returning adult student, I would begin by encouraging students to do what it took me ten years fo figure out, that is, to do what it is that you love doing. Once you figure out what that is, it is extremely important to find a college that has an excellent reputation in that field. For students who are more comfortable in a small community and in smaller groups, a small college would most likey be the right choice for that individual, where as students who thrive in a big city would more likely enjoy a large university. These individuals would probably feel stifled attending a smaller school. Class size is an important consideration as well as financial aid packages offered by individual colleges, extra-curricular activities and student housing. My advice to parents is to help your child research and choose the best school for their personality, needs, and intended major. Keep in mind that, in most cases, this will be their home for the next four years and therefore this is a very important decision as an unhappy student will not work to his or her fullest potential.

High-school is supposed to prepare you for college. High-school does an adequate job at preparing high-school students to transition and succeed in college. However, there are things that, in high school, that they don’t prepare you. These things that they don’t teach you are the things I would go back in time if I could and tell my past self about. The things high school doesn’t tell you how much information will be thrown at you and how much of it you are supposed to translate and make the right decision for your future. Therefore, my advice would to my high school self would be to study and absorb any and all information I could about the college and the major. With more information I feel like I would have felt more confident and certain about my choices. College itsel is frightening and a massive ordeal, add on to that the possibility of making a wrong choice and the weight on ones shoulders becomes extremely greater. If I went back and told my past self to learn everything about the college and major, a huge ammount of that pressure would've been lifted.

Dear Michelle, You're extremely nervous about going to King's College in a few months, but don't be! You will have more fun than you were expecting. The most important thing you need to remember when making this transition is to keep an open-mind and everything will run smoothly! Be ready to give chances to people you wouldn't expect to befriend, because they're the most interesting ones! You'll slowly create a steady, solid group of friends. Bouncing around from groups of friends is normal, so don't let it stress you out. Here, having a best friend isn't a priority; everyone just wants to be friends with everyone else! Never forget your schoolwork. You'll slip up but just remember when it's social hour versus study hour. There will be conflict at home. Dad won't be reliable when paying tuition; however, don't lose sight of what's important. The minute you let Dad stress you out is the minute your grades will fall. Mom will become your best friend through all of this, but save your money to help her. Don't sweat college, it's easier than you think!

The advice I would give parents is to step back. Parents have a tendency to over influence the college decision. Often personal views of the parents lead them to back the college bound student into ultimatiums that later have that student regreting their decision or resenting their parent(s) for forcing them to make such a decision. I think it is important for the parent to communicate the importance of key factors and then step back and allow the student to choose. This means stating the affordable school range and basically that's it. Money is very usually a key factor in choosing a school, but don't allow it to become such a factor that the student feels hindered on choices. Likewise my advice to students is to lay out your short and long term goals and match a school that meets them and communicate those goals to your parent(s). For example if a goal is to live in a city or to leave a city then find a shcool that is that type of surrounding so it can be an introductry tool for you, and letting your parent know will help them budget. And never give up!

College has always been the only answer for my future imposed upon my by my parents, teaches, any everyone. Yet as a senior in high school I still had no clue what I wanted to be. It was easy attending college, that was expected of me. However, in attending college I learned to have my own expectations in life and in myself. College is often seen as a fun time in which young adults finally get to have the privilage of freedom and less responsibilities. I have learned that to be successful in college you have to value your responsibilities more than your privileges - it is even a privilege to have responsibilities! For example, an 8am class was challenging to attend four days a week for two semesters. Quite often many of my peers decided to skip, but now I have the privilege of still being in my major because of my personal responsibility. I do not expect to retain all of the information that I will have to cram into my brain for exams but I do expect to receive a degree at the end of my four years, which will finally give value to my hard work.