King’s College-Wilkes-Barre Top Questions

daniel

High-school is supposed to prepare you for college. High-school does an adequate job at preparing high-school students to transition and succeed in college. However, there are things that, in high school, that they don’t prepare you. These things that they don’t teach you are the things I would go back in time if I could and tell my past self about. The things high school doesn’t tell you how much information will be thrown at you and how much of it you are supposed to translate and make the right decision for your future. Therefore, my advice would to my high school self would be to study and absorb any and all information I could about the college and the major. With more information I feel like I would have felt more confident and certain about my choices. College itsel is frightening and a massive ordeal, add on to that the possibility of making a wrong choice and the weight on ones shoulders becomes extremely greater. If I went back and told my past self to learn everything about the college and major, a huge ammount of that pressure would've been lifted.

Ngoc

Graduating from high school and transiting into a college lifestlye is a big step in life. There are many changes involved in this process. There are more tolerance in high school compared to college. In high school it is okay to procastinate; no punishment is involved. College on the other hand is completely opposite. Grades will automatically dropped without any questions asked. It is important to learn how to obey and obtain information given by teachers/professors. One failed test can harm the whole entire semester grade since some courses are graded off of 3 assignments/tests. Thus, it is very difficult to bring the grade back up. There are also many more distractions such as parities in college. Thus, it is important to learn how to stay focus with school work. There are parties everywhere around campus almost every weekends. This could be very distracting because it involved alcohol assumption and other bad influences. Alcohol has the ability to alter the ways the brain functions which has the result of lower grades. Also, partying can be fun at times and carry students away and forget to complete an assignment or even attend class.

If I could give myself advice when I was a high school senior, I would have told myself to visit all of the colleges that I applied to so that I was sure that I knew where I wanted to go.

If I could go back and talk to myself during my senior year of high school, I would have some important things to say. I'd start by saying, Mom and Dad are always the best givers of advice, especially Dad. Don't go ahead and get a job in the very beginning of your college career. Like Dad says, you have your whole life ahead of you to work. It's TRUE. When and if you get a job, make sure you keep all of your paystubs! That's so important to remember; learned that lesson the hard way. If you have the opportunity, take some AP classes; they give you a good idea of how hard you're going to need to work and what college is like. I know you might not believe it, but you're going to be just fine in college. You were given all of the tools you need to succeed in college and they're right in your back pocket, you can thank Mom for that!

There are so many things I would tell my high school self if I had the chance to go back. I am currently an undecided major and I am still not completely sure what I want to major in. One thing I would tell my high school self is to take some college courses at the local community college to try to expand my knowledge of my likes and dislikes. This would help save money to find what I like and also get some credits completed before I enrolled in college. Another thing I would tell my high school self is to work more during high school. If I got a job earlier in my high school career, I would have had more money saved up for book expenses and not as many loans taken out. It would have helped me in the long run. One last thing I would tell myself is to enjoy high school while it lasts because I miss all of my old teachers and class mates. College is more work but it is not that bad, just keep up the work! Those are some of the things I would tell my high school self.

Assuming that I could go back in time and talk to myself about college life and making transitions, I would tell myself that I need to keep up the good work because things are only going to get harder in life before they get somewhat easier and if you want something in life you need to go out and work extra hard to achieve it because everything is possible if you know what you want and you strive to succeed.

Apply for as many scholarships as you can! There is money out there waiting to be claimed by seniors just like you across the globe. Also, get in close early with the Career Planning office when you get to campus, college is the time to grow up and be a man. Mom and dad can't hold your hand like before. Focus on trying to land internships and build your resume, and start to save your money periodically. It's never too early to start saving and investing in your future!

If I could go back in time, there would only be one thing that I would tell myself; to "stay ahead of your work!" While I took a few advanced placement courses in high school, they were nothing compared to the workload of 5 or 6 college courses, and getting on top of my work was a challenge at first. Other than this, I adjusted to college life very well; I was ready to start learning about things that I loved and to meet new people. It was surprising how well I adjusted because I went to a school in a different state, where I didn't know a single person, except my roommate who I had only talked to briefly. Everyone there was so nice and they were genuinely interested in my success, especially my professors, which gave me all the confidence I needed in order to do well. Attending King's College has been the best decision of my life, and I can't wait to see what's in store for my senior year.

Dear Michelle, You're extremely nervous about going to King's College in a few months, but don't be! You will have more fun than you were expecting. The most important thing you need to remember when making this transition is to keep an open-mind and everything will run smoothly! Be ready to give chances to people you wouldn't expect to befriend, because they're the most interesting ones! You'll slowly create a steady, solid group of friends. Bouncing around from groups of friends is normal, so don't let it stress you out. Here, having a best friend isn't a priority; everyone just wants to be friends with everyone else! Never forget your schoolwork. You'll slip up but just remember when it's social hour versus study hour. There will be conflict at home. Dad won't be reliable when paying tuition; however, don't lose sight of what's important. The minute you let Dad stress you out is the minute your grades will fall. Mom will become your best friend through all of this, but save your money to help her. Don't sweat college, it's easier than you think!

In high school, I couldn't wait to graduate and move on to something bigger and better. I was desperate to find something more exciting. Now I know that college isn't actually that much different than highschool. The professors, at least at my school, aren't big, scary people that you never see outside of class. They are just as friendly and helpful as my highschool teachers. I also wish I knew that relationships with my high school friends would greatly change. Girls that I once considered to be my best friends, are people I talk to maybe once every 6 months now. But I did meet people at college that I will be friends with forever. I really love college, it just is very similar to my high school experience. College is great, it's not much different than high school, and sometimes I need to remind myself that you can't always be reaching for something that you think will be bigger and better.

There are many things I would advise myself about before attending college. One thing is that you never know what you have until your away from it. My home enviorment is something I miss everyday. Adjusting to college life is something that does not come easy. Not having your parents around you will take some getting used to. The work is also so much different than high school work. The fact that you need to study regardless if you have a test coming up soon is important. Keeping up with work and getting ahead on your studies is probably the best thing you can do. Anothing essentail part of transitioning into college is realizing that you have no limits. Going to bed on time is not going to be pounded into your head by your parents anymore. Getting into trouble is not hard; therefore, you need to be wise in your decision making. All in all, coming into college is not as crazy as you hear about or think it will be. Stay focused in your studies and your priorities and everything will be just fine.

There is a lot of advice I would give to my high school self. Senior year was stressful because I had no idea where I wanted to go. Therefore, the first piece of advice I would give to myself is to only apply to King’s College. It has Physician Assistant Program you want. Also, it is a Catholic school so you can express your faith freely. Secondly, make sure you complete FAFSA by February 15. You did not, and because of that, you missed out on receiving more federal and state grants. My last piece of advice is to apply to more private scholarships at your high school. Some of the scholarships they handed out at the Senior Award Ceremony were worth a thousand dollars or more.

Denise

I never made it to be a high school senior. I had a child at 17 and dropped out of school, later I went and got my GED. The advice I give to myself is simple, stay in school and graduate high school. Getting a GED is a lot harder than staying in school. You will miss out on great opportunities like joining clubs, graduating with all your friends, applying to good schools and dropping out will keep you in a lower income bracket. College life is a lot different from high school, it requires dedication and a lot of studying if you want to keep your GPA up. I am glad that I decided to go back for my bachelor's, it will open up doors for me that are currently closed.

I would tell myself to make sure that I concentrate on classes and do well on tests. Be prepared for life changes. College is a life changing event but a great one at that. Enjoy every day and what it offers.

If you aspire to be a Morehouse student you are already moving in the right direction. Even though it comes with a high price tage ($38,000+), I am confident that my education is second to NONE and It will pay off tend fold upon graduation. I'm just a rising sophmore, and I already feel as though I'll be well prepared for law school. If you're looking for a historic, small, competitive, high-ranking, and internationally respected institution to earn your degree.. Morehouse is the place for you. Continued Success!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to begin researching the necessary classes needed to graduate with a degree in education. Many of the classes for the first two years of college were CORE and needed to be taken as prerequisites for a sucessful liberal arts education. However, there are so manyclasses to choose from that can meet these requirements, it is important to take something that interests you and that you can look forward to learning about.

Sissa

If I were to go back in time I'd tell myself to start managing my time a lot more wisely. I would also start to change my study habits because I never had the need to study since I would get straight A's on most of my tests. I would tell myself that I need to take my SATs sooner and take them more times so I could have a higher score than I did. It's also important to not give up and keep up with the work and studying for exams at least a week before and to not be afraid to look for help or ask questions.

I would tell myself to take a deep breath and that everything would be ok. Take enough time for yourself to relax and don't stress too much about classes everything works out in the end.

If I could go back in time and give advice to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to study harder and work on my writing skills. I was not use to writing a lot of papers in high school and I felt very overwhelmed when I started my work load at college. I feel if I had worked harder as a high school senior in writing I would have been able to have a easier time transitioning into college.

joe

There are accelerated programs for kids like you, go talk to your counsler. I know you're depressed and all this seems meaningless, but if you apply yourself now college will be even easier for you. Try harder accademically, take some AP classes and stop being lazy. The pattern your falling into right now is just going to make things difficult for you when you're my age, bro. Get yourself a good planner, stop procrastinating on all of your homework and go to bed at a reasonable hour before you drive yourself crazy and drop out! Also, I recommend planning on going to community college rather than state, you'll learn a lot of things about life that the four year transfer kids will miss out on until they're much older. This perspective will help you make a decision with what to do yourself. Good luck, little one.

Colleen

College is about disovering who you want to become. It is a time of trial and error. Don't try to be perfect. Don't try to fit in or stand out. Don't worry so much about making everyone happy or seeking approval and praise. This is one opportunity you have in life to just "live". Be spontaneous, live outside of your comfort zone. Figure out your likes and dislikes and what you want for your future. Be outgoing. Meet as many friends as you can, expand on your knowledge as much as you can. College is a place with no biases or stereotypes. It is a chance to truly experience the world, so take advantage of it.

Anuradha

As a high school senior, much like any senior, I had the tendency to not put my full potential in my work, even when I was taking AP and honor classes. I took for granted my high school and how easy it is and assumed I was smarter than most individuals, not realizing that my high school is one amongst millions in the nation. While I did do all my work and managed to be 6th in my graduating class, I feel like I did not put as much effort into actually learning the materially, rather than memorizing. I have learned this to be my biggest challenge in college. As a science major, learning and understanding concepts is much more valuable than being able to recite terms. This brought on a struggle for me in my first semester, becoming accoustmed to new study habits and spending several hours a day studying rather than an hour the night before the test like I did in high school. If I had been able to learn basic concepts in high school especially in chemistry, I would of had a much easier transition into college.

College has been a tremendous experience. I feel that my professors' priorities are to teach. They are always open-minded to questions and available for extra help. This has given me so much confidence in my schoolwork. Through my hard work I have ascertained a 3.85 GPA and feel that I could not have achieved this without the support of my teachers and peers. I also volunteer on campus and within the Wilkes-Barre community. I am president of the Blood Drive Club and an active member of the Education Club. It has been a fulfilling experience working with fellow students on various extracurricular projects. Also, for the 2nd year in a row I am a big sister through Big Brothers/Big Sisters to a young girl in the community. This relationship has been invaluable to me because it gives me the opportunity to share my time with a child who does not have to feel alone all the time. Volunteering has been a truly rewarding part of my college career especially when my time has been so greatly appreciated by others.

Colleen

A school that is successful in fulfilling its mission statement - to develop its students holistically - while allowing me to fulfill my own goals, is extremely invaluable. As I applied to King's College, I selfishly focused on the academic curriculum and what my education would provide for me as far as being hired post-graduation. I have come to appreciate that my hard work over the last four years was not purely to reach my own goals. King’s has taught me the value of community, where our accomplishments can work towards a common good. The knowledge and skills that I have obtained while studying at King’s College will help me give back as a member of my community. This idea started small, starting out as a freshman on campus, being a friend to my neighbor, to being a teammate on the volleyball court, to being a tutor for my classmates, to volunteering in the community. As a professional, I will continue these same ideals through improving the quality of life of my patients, as I utilize my degree in Physician Assistance, and my desire to help others, as King’s so helped me achieve.

While my first semester is complete at King’s College I have acquired a lot. King’s College was the only College to accept me. I applied to six other Colleges and Universities, but was denied admissions because of my SAT scores. From my experience so far at college, I have become more self reliant, responsible, and accountable for my decisions and grades at college. Through my first semester I have learned that studying is a huge part of my life currently. Without reading textbooks, or going over class notes I would not be eligible for college. Studying is very important and demanding, the more studying you allow yourself before a test, the more likely you will do better on that test. Cram sessions will not get the grade expected compared to high school. For me attending College is very expensive, but valuable. College will give me the possibility to become an elementary school teacher. I have learned to value my parents for helping me get through college finically. Along with my professors who are providing me with a fantastic education. Without the opportunity of college I would never fulfill my dreams of teaching.

My college experience has been great so far I have made many close friends which I will keep for the rest of my life, I learned a lot about myself and how to stand on my own two feet. I learned that your education really does make a difference in the "real world" even though my parents have been telling me that for years. I learned so many life lessons that I would not have been able to if I did not go to college and further my education. Least to say I was not the best student in high school so I made a pit stop at a community college along the way and it was some of the best years of my life I was able to get my grades up, go on trips with sports and clubs, and join various activies and recieve my degree at the end of my two years.

alysha

From companionship from fellow dorm room mates to learning how to live within a 10 x 10 space. Excellence in faculty lectures which engage and motivate have led me to study harder. Kings feels like my home, from the new student relationships to

Lynda

My college experience has given me an associate degree and a sense of accomplishment. Even though it's only a two-year degree, I feel like I have something on hand that will give me a jump start. I feel confident compared to when I did not have a degree. I learned many skills that are useful for helping others and I also made great friends. College made me realize that there are a lot of things I can accomplish if I want to.

My college experience has given me an incredible amount of real world experience, as well as a great liberal arts foundation. I have spent numerous hours working in the college radio station, alongside our general manager who still works in the industry. She has been a wealth of knowledge, and provided me with so many great oportunities. I have attended press conference's and lectures, and traveled to New York City to talk with media professionals about my future in the field. As the news director for our station, I was able to develop a working staff, and produce over 80 stories in its inagural semester. This school has offered me countless opportunities to get involved, my favorite of which, deals with the incoming students. I have fallen in love with this school, and any chance I get to tell possible students about my experience, is a chance I never pass up. Choosing King's College has been the best decision of my life.

Francesca

King's College has been valuable to attend because I was able to find myself. Coming out of high school, I thought I knew who I was as a person. I wanted to be just like my father, a Philadelphia Police Officer. I was loud, tough and willing to fight anyone. My goal when I graduted high school was to go to college and eventually become an FBI agent, fighting crime and kicking ass. But, my career goals and dreams shifted as I made my own way through college and found out who I really was as a person. As a junior in college my dreams of becoming the law enforcer had shifted to the opposite end of the spectrum. I realized I wanted to make a difference, I wanted to help people. King's helped me crack my tough outer shell and I became more accepting of other types of individuals, from various walks of life. By the time I was a senior, I held two internships working with the Drug Treatment Courts as well as Catholic Social Services providing case management. King's College helped me find my voice and purpose. I am an Advocate for Social Justice.

Coming into college I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. As an undeclaired student I took all core classes and felt my way around the other majors to see what I could really imagine myself doing. By my second semester I decided I wanted to take an environmental science class to see what it would be like. I fell in love. Never had I imagined that I would be so passionate abot school to not only take overloads of classes, but to go after internships after both my first and second year. Even though seventy percent of class is learning, note taking, and testing, the rest of the time is spent in hands on lab classes which help to widen my range of knowledge and experience. Honestly, I can say that I have gotten a true sence of devotion and excitement about my future career, and the "real world" no longer seems as intimiadting as most people claim it is. I know that with my education and will power I can get a job and do anything I want in the field.

Attending college gave me an opportunity to better myself and open doors to a successful future. While being in an abusive relationship I felt I would never be able to get out and support my children. I decided my children deserved a better life and the only way I would be able to provide a better life is to attend college and obtain a degree. I enrolled full time in 2005, obtained an Associates degree in Physics, and currently pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering. With this degree I can not only support my children but I can make a difference around the world.

Donnielle

Through my college experience I have gained valuable education and hands on training that has prepared me for employment as well as self confidence and empowerment. I have been trained by professionals of my chosen trade that have equiped me with the necessary tools to do my job and conduct business professionally. It has been very valuable to attned college because it teaches me how to manage my time, be responsible and dependable. I feel really good about myself and my education. I know that when I enter the workforce, I will be a competitive candidate for employment and I have the knowledge how to stand out and land that job. I am confident that I will be successful in my chosen field due in part to my college experience as well as my self confidence and empowerment to make my future what I want it to be and not what others think it should be. I am very excited about my future and I know the value of my self and my education.

Jane

I have ecome a more well rounded person since I have attended King's College. The 'liberal arts' school that I am attending is paying off and benefitting myself along with the other students. I am greatful that there is a campus like King;s so lcose to my home. I feel proud to be a King's College student.

I have yet to attend college. I will be starting this fall 2010. I am a mother of three, military wife and felt that it was time to finish my education. I want to show my three daughters that you can attend college even when it seems impossible. My husband is currently deployed so I'm going through this process by myself but it's worth it.

King’s has taught me to be a better person base upon the things I learned in the classroom in out of the classroom. I learned to be a good friend and I learned to be a good student. My experience at King’s so far has been such a positive one. I learned to never judge people based upon their appearance and accept them for who they are, the campus is so diverse that everyone seems to hang out. The professors care to know who you are on a personal level and take the time out of their busy schedule to help you. King’s is such a small campus, but I love the smallness of the school. I feel like the smallness of the school brought the students and professors together to become one community.

I have received so far an excellent insight into anatomy and physiology current college. My career objective is to be a Physical Therapist. The college experience is much different from high school; the schedule of classes are much more flexible and I enjoy that. This fresh start in a new environment invigorates my sense of independence, I am actually now looking forward to finally moving out on my own and becoming independent in my life.

Kristine

Throughout my time at King's College I believe that I have recieved the best education available. King's offers an exceptional curriculum in all available majors. I have not only learned a great deal of skills related to my major, I have also been given the opportunity to develop my life skills. Without King's, I would not have been able to accomplish this in the extenct that I have. I believe that I will be more than prepared to enter my career upon graduation. King's has helped me develop the skills I will need in order to complete any task that is handed to me. Choosing King's College was not only one of the biggest decisions I have made, but one of the best decisions that I have made. It is because of King's that I will be ready and prepared to enter the workforce and the world ready for anything that comes my way.

College has always been the only answer for my future imposed upon my by my parents, teaches, any everyone. Yet as a senior in high school I still had no clue what I wanted to be. It was easy attending college, that was expected of me. However, in attending college I learned to have my own expectations in life and in myself. College is often seen as a fun time in which young adults finally get to have the privilage of freedom and less responsibilities. I have learned that to be successful in college you have to value your responsibilities more than your privileges - it is even a privilege to have responsibilities! For example, an 8am class was challenging to attend four days a week for two semesters. Quite often many of my peers decided to skip, but now I have the privilege of still being in my major because of my personal responsibility. I do not expect to retain all of the information that I will have to cram into my brain for exams but I do expect to receive a degree at the end of my four years, which will finally give value to my hard work.

Evelyn

Lots of community service opportunities! It really enriched me as a person and made me realize that I wanted to help people for the rest of my life. It allowed me to to meet new people and form lasting friendships!

I have learned to be more independent and responsible from attending King's and living in a College Dorm. I am still in the process of learning what is required from me in order to achieve my goals. I feel that attending College is very goal orientated and the process begins anew each day with every new challange that comes my way. Attending College and living on campus has changed who I am. The change has made me see life-situations and acheiving goals in a whole new way. I now value my Education like I never valued it before. I looked foward to learning everyday and not just in the Classroom but in the entire College Exerience which changes everyday.

I have been at King?s College for about 5 months and so far my experience here has been incredible. I have grown so much from living on my own. I have become very independent and my grades have greatly improved. I think this has been a very valuable experience because without it I would probably still be relying on others.

It is so hard to put down in words what I have gotten out of my college experience. This school has an excellent staff. I know that I could go to anyone in the communications department if I needed help with anything. You make friends that become more like family and you know that you always have someone that is there for you whether it be for school work or just to talk. I am so glad that I decided to come to this school it's small size is so helpful for work ethic and getting the kind of support you need from professors and students. I have gotten everything I could have possibly wished for in a college experience from King's College and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Adrianna

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior i would tell myself to apply for any financial aid as early as possible and to make sure i picked up a habit for studying. I never had to study in highschool. I made honor roll every year without ever having to re-read my notes or make flash cards. However, when i got to college i realized i wasnt able to excell in my classes with out studying. The problem was i didnt know how. Since i had gone through highschool without studying when the time came for me to study in college it became difficult and i didnt know how to focus on retaining the material i needed. It wouldve been smart for me to practice good studying techniques in highschool that way i could be prepared for college. Another thing i would do different is applly for financial aid. there are lot of websites and company's that offer scholarship money and its better to take advantgage of them before you get into school that way any possible essays you may have to write aren't conflicting with your actual school work.

If I could travel back in time four years, I would come face to face with a girl completely unprepared for life after high school. I would tell her to visit campus multiple times before starting college. I'd also tell her to talk to her high school guidance couselor and try to determine what areas her strengths and weaknesses exist in, and to do whatever she can to determine what she would like to major in. In case that didn't work out, I'd advise her to seek the help of campus advisement, so as to not change majors quite so many times. I would let this naive girl know how easy it is to get caught up in the flexibility of college schedules, and urge her to stay focused on her studies and not miss classes. I'd tell her how great the clubs and service opportunities are and suggest she get involved with them right from the start of freshman year, rather than wait til her sophomore or junior years. Finally, I'd tell her to enjoy every second of college before it goes by way too fast.

If I could go back to talk to myself as a senior, I would have a lot of things to tell myself. The first thing I would tell myself is to really focus on my schoolwork. While I did well in high school, there is always room for improvement. I would tell myself to start looking at more scholarships while I was still in high school. I was not as concerned about that as I should have been then. Scholarships make my education more affordable and less of a burden on myself and my family. I would also tell myself to have fun with my friends and family before I left. I miss them now that we are so far apart and I wish that I had spent more time with them before I left. Also I would tell myself to pick up more hours at work so that I would have more spending money and more money to put towards my tuition. Going back to talk some sense into myself would be helpful, but it is too late now. I have learned from my mistakes and I will do better next year.

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and talk to my high school senior self I would tell myself to prepare for all of the debt that was coming. I would strongly recommend that I work harder in my last high school year and get that 3.9 gpa instead of the 3.8. I would also tell myself not to wait until summer to find a job, but to get used to going to school and having a job at the same time. I would advise myself to learn how to study rather than relying on the natural ability to simply understand high school content. Also, in order to adjust to the transition between high school and college I would advise myself to go the extra mile with all of the work I needed to complete because college expects much more effort than high school seems to expect. I would also advise the I suck up my pride and get a tutor when I start to struggle with classes. Most of all I would recommend that I learn how to procrastinate a little bit less to save myself the time it takes to cram.

Nothing I feel I made all the right choices. I would do exactly the same as I did when I was a high school senior.

I would tell myself to get over whatever it was that made me shy and make the most out of life. During the first two years but especially my freshman year, I only had a couple of friends and didn't do much. Now I go out and hang with friends and meet people that I could have met early in my college career.