Cedar Rapids, IA
Kirkwood Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Kirkwood Community College

Maggie

Kirkwood Community College in Iowa City is a wonderful college to start off at when you are fresh out of high school and you do not know what degree you are interested in. I came out of high school not knowing what I wanted to be. I started off thinking a zookeeper then moved on to thinking a vet tech. But I ended up changing my mind and staying undecided. Kirkwood really helped me through all of that. They are very affordable. I was able to go to this college without taking out a single loan the entire three years I went here. This made it a great place to start, especially if you planned on transferring to another college later down the road. Along with being affordable, the professors and classes are wonderful. They are very personable, easy to get a hold of outside of class, and eager to help you. Many of them made subjects I did not enjoy very much very enjoyable and helped me learn many things that still stick with me today. It was very easy to get a good grade even in the hardest of classes due to the professors. As long as you stayed in contact with them, asked questions, and attended class you would get a good grade. Now onto the things that were not so great at this college. The way they handled transferring was a problem. If you wanted to transfer to the University of Iowa which is very close by this location, they would be able to help you with no problem at all. But once it came to transferring to Iowa State, which is where I was going, they would not be able to help you at all. All I was given was the website and a number to call and was told they had no idea past that what I was supposed to do. I had to figure out all of the transferring requirements by going on a campus visit to Iowa State. Another thing that was bad with this college campus was the parking. This college is quickly outgrowing its location and that is showing not only in the crowded building but the parking lot as well. Most days if I wouldn't get there early enough there would be no parking for me so I would have to park in the mall parking lot across from the campus. I live almost thirty minutes away from this campus and having to get there and waste time looking for parking due to there being none is a really big problem. They need to expand their campus if they are going to keep accepting new students, and that needs to happen soon. Overall, I had an okay experience at Kirkwood Community College. The professors, price, and classes really made the experience worthwhile. But they need to work on expanding the campus and the way the handle transferring, especially to colleges and universities other than the University of Iowa.

Beckie

Kirkwood is a wonderful school that fulfills the need of A.A. and A.S. Degrees, all the way to the specialized programs and Vocational Certificates. I myself, just changed my major to the Floral Degree Program that begins Fall 2017. This program is one of the best Floral Design Programs in the state of Iowa! For the cost of the entire year to obtain my certificate, is the cost of one 6 week Design School (for design basics only). Kirkwood is truly the real value for your money.

Savannah

I really enjoy Kirkwood. The campus is organized well, people are friendly, and the professors are great (for the most part). I feel like the professors are really good at working with you, really care about your education, and they are good about being lenient if need be. I like coming to classes, and I don't have any trouble feeling un safe. The students here are very into clubs, sports and other extra curricular activities. It makes people feel welcome when there is a lot to choose from to be a part of. Go Eagles!

Kari

Kirkwood is a great college to start at and has a variety of programs. Kirkwood has a lot of events to get involved in and to meet new people.

Courtney
Good way to save on overall college costs

Good way to save on overall college costs

The nursing program had some rely great professors and some really really not great professors. The Dean was apathetic, at best, but it is a good way to save money on a four year degree.

Kevin

I chose to go to Kirkwood Community College because of the Associate of Applied Science degree, at 50 years of age, I did not feel I had the time to get a four year degree and make use of it. I am earning two degrees; one in Culinary Arts, and another in Restaurant Management, in a total of three years. This fulfills my goals of restarting my life in the late stage of mid-life. I had a concern about going back to college that stemmed from the thought that I would not have enough time left in my life to use these skills and grow with them. Would I have time to work my way up in an industry that is filled with so many great young minds? My research into Kirkwood said yes. Kirkwood has a new, state-of-the-art facility and has received Exemplary status with the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation. It is a great feeling to know my education is coming from a source that is ranked so high in this field. Kirkwood is setting me up to be successful in my future endeavors and leaving me enough time to make use of these degrees. Still being able to live a full life doing something I have been well trained in and enjoy so much.

Alex

My classmates are open, encouraging, fun, competitive, and friendly.

My classmates are open, encouraging, fun, competitive, and friendly.

In my school we are best known for what we do for the community. In our community we help elementry, middle, and high schools get excited about all kinds of subjects. We have helped plant flowers for a butterfly garden to help allow students to get first hand experience to analysis butterflies it there habitat. Our school encourages all subjects, for example science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. We have students that volunteer to help out in community events such as science fairs and other events to get younger students to have fun and enjoy learning new things.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior. I would telll myself to not to worry so much about college. It may be a big transition from being with family and living on your own, but you will get use to it and make new friends along the way. All you have to do is be open to all the new people around you and do not be shy to join in the fun because everyone is also experiencing the new transition, all you have to do is embrace it. Also I would advise myself to do as much extracurricular activities you make many new friends and you will enjoy yourself. You never know what you like if you do not try it out at all. Some big thing to remember is do all your school work before anything else so you do not fall behind and be responsible no one will be looking after you like they did in high school, but enjoy yourself at the same time. You have to have fun because, all work and no play makes you a very dull boy.

Mariah

Apply to more colleges. Don't worry about your GPA being a 2.88 - there are plenty of colleges that would happily accept you, especially since you are a great writer and are a charismatic public speaker.

If you need to boost your GPA by taking a few classes to transfer to a good college, then you should attend Kirkwood.

Don't attend this school if you think that the classes here are easy just because it is a community college. The professors expect you to do well and turn in your assignments on time.

Noel

As an older student, I've found that Kirkwood is a very welcoming school. The student population is very diverse and accepting. The instructors are friendly and accessible. The entire faculty and staff genuinely want to see you succeed and will go above and beyond to assist you in any way that they can.

There are students from every social and economic class. A lot of ethnic groups and diversity. The common attire is very casual. The morning and afternoon classes are mostly comprised of younger students with a nice mix of older adults as well.

Tara

As I am a non-traditonal student, who after seventeen years has decided to go to college, I would tell my younger self to go to college right after high school. I would also tell myself that just a few years of hard work will make all the difference in the future. I would remind my younger self it's much easier, financially, to go to college when you live at home instead of waiting until you're an adult and paying all the bills yourself. Most important of all, I'd tell myself to have fun in college, meet new people, try new things, but make sure the schoolwork comes first.

The worst thing about Kirkwood Community College is that it is a forty-five minute drive from my house. There are satellite centers, but none as close to me as the main campus.

The instructors are wonderful. They seem to really love what they teach & teach it in such a way to make it easier to learn.

Kirkwood Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.