Cedar Rapids, IA
Kirkwood Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Kirkwood Community College

indigo

It's a good place to get an AA or gen eds taken care of for a reasonable price. The classes and teachers have been good for the most part, but I have had a couple teachers that weren't the best. One thing this school is lacking is an organized and helpful administration. When I ask them a question, I get a different answer from everyone. I also have asked them for information about scholarships and no one seems to be able to point me in the right direction.

You get out what you put in. If you take time to talk to the professors, ask questions, and participate, they will be more willing to work with you. Its a small school so for the most part all of my teachers remember who I am. I seldom miss class, I pay attention, I study, and I have a 4.0. Going to class alone will earn you at least a B. I go to the smaller campus, so some classes aren't offered there, but there is still a wide variety of classes.

ASHLEY

Kirkwood is student friendly and provides many opportunities.

Kirkwood is student friendly and provides many opportunities.

My school is probably best known for the low cost of classes and for all the opportunities it provides. Almost anyone can get into Kirkwood, regardless of their gpa or their previous educational experiences. There are small class sizes at a low cost for the same education as at a larger university.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to relax. As a high-school senior I was often stressed about what school I would go to and what I would study. I was convinced that I had to choose the right school immediately and that once I had, I couldn't change my mind. I also concentrated more on how good the school's writing department was, instead of how well the school itself would work for me. It wasn't until after graduation that I thought about what I personally needed, instead of what everyone else wanted for me. By relaxing and taking myself into consideration, and realizing that it was okay if I changed my mind later, I was able to figure out what school was best for me at the time.

Mahmoud

Times is like a sword if one did not cut it , it will cut you. It is what makes us regret and wish we could get more time which we can not do, having time on your side helps build a better road towards the goal you intend to follow. If time was not on your side it will be very difficult to manage especially studying. At highschool it is very important to concentrate on time and plan what you want to major in , and let it be based on what your interested in. What i found very helpful is picturing myself 20 years later waking up to go to work, if you wake up to a job you think you love becuase of what your interested in then that is a start to what kind of career you might be wiling to seek. The 1st step is the most important, finiding the career that one can predict he or she will devote to and make him or her happy. Learning about different majors will help you narrow down what could possibly be the best future, anything is possible if time was on your side.

The best thing and the most important thing about school is disciplin, it trains us to become better people and better parents when it comes time to teaching our own children in the future. Through disciplin, we can follow the law , respect the elders and understand life as it is, to create a path to a successful and happy life.

College is a very important and crucial step towards a better life, it provides more oppertunities for success. You do not learn only about the major that one studies but achieve knowladge from different subjects as well, expands our way of thinking making us more creative. Success is a small word with a big meaning attached to it, in order for one to succeed he or she must work hard and strive towards a particular goal and accomplish what he or she wanted to achieve. Only through well preperation and hardship could life smile back at us.

Tiffany

Kirkwood Community College is best known for it's strive for excellence, it's encouragement to keep their students reaching their academic goals and for their low tuition and fees. I believe Kirkwood is a great place for high school students to go to for their first 2 years of secondary education based on the low $111 per credit, having small classrooms where students are not intimidated to approach their teachers, and a great enviroment with alot of events that make it easy to meet others and gain new friends.

Besides from the fun teachers, countless clubs and organizations for any and everyone, and the free events, Kirkwood is a similar to high school in many ways. Whether high school seniors are not ready to transfer to a huge university with thousands of students, or adults are wanting to gain a better career, Kirkwood is a great place for anyone to make a new start. Kirkwoods motto is "Start here, go anywhere" and i feel this a true statement for anyone who wants to get ahead in life.

The one thing you need to know about college is that it is very different. Some days will be scary, whether it's not having any friends in class, not sure how to get your financial aid to pay for your books or just being stressed out by the amount of homework each class gives you, just know that you can do it. You may not feel it at times, but you are a strong, smart girl and in a few years all of this struggle will be worth it. When you are up on that stage, and that Diploma is put into your hands, that will be the moment that you will be completely happy because you did it. All the late night studying and taking advanced classes to look better on transcripts was all worth it just for that moment. If there is one thing you will learn without me telling you is that the harder you work, the more you will get out of it. I konw it sounds silly but it will be worth it. You can do anything through Him who gives you strength.

Kallie

I would tell myself to be ready to work! I had no idea how much I would have to remember, and already know for a community college. I would tell myself to build up better organizatoin and study skills, so the shock of actually working for my grades wouldn't be so severe. I shouldn't have blown off my senior year with thoughts like "well I'm only going to Kirkwood, it's not going to be that hard." I should have really pushed myself, because while it is a coummunity college, its still college and its my future.

I honestly don't think my high school really prepared me for college. I was no prepared for the amount of work I was going to have to do. I had projects and tests every week. While I was at school for much less time, I had so much more homework. My high school really focused on finals. When finals came around last semester I studied really hard, thinking they would be more difficult than my high schools. They were at least three times as easy as my high schools tests. I wish I had been a little more prepared.

If I could change one thing about my school it would be more assitence. Once I signed up as an education major, I was required to attend a few meetings where I was to get assistance signing up for classes. At that meeting I was given a sheet of paper roughly outlining the classes I was required to take. That worked fine for my first semester, however now I am starting my second and its quite confusing. I dont know if certian classes are counting for credits, and everytime I go to see someone, they have gone home.

Erica

The advice I would give myself if I were about to go back and talk to myself as a highshool senior, I would tell myself to relax, don't stress so much. No need to blow things out of porportion, everything will be ok. My number one advice to myself would be that open up do not be afraid of things or people if someone doesn't like you, it's there lost, and if something does not work out it was not meant to be. Do not wait for someone to make the first move on a conversation, talk to them, be yourself. Also, get envoloved in more activites and organazations around the college. Do not be afraid if you do not know anyone that is going out for it too, you'll meet new people, your building character. Speak out about a problem when it first arises, don't wait till things blow way out of porportion to say something. Always listen to your heart, be true to yourself. Do not make company with people just because they are there and you are lonely, your true friends will come. Keep in touch with your friends.

I wish I would have known how to get envolved in more activites around my school before I came here. This would have ben a great way for me to meet people within my college better and easier. It also would have given me a great opportunity to do different things within the community and my school.

The kind of person that should attend this school is someone that wants a hands on experince with their major. I was put into a classroom my first semester of my first year. That was really helpful. It gave me the confidence that this is truely the major I want. Also the type of person that should attend this school would be a driven person. Since it gives you a hands on experince you need to work hard at what you are doing. Since this is something that you are serious about doing the rest of your life.

David

Kirkwood Community is, if anything, diverse. Thousands of students attend this school at everytime of the day and being a community college it truly represents the worldwide community. Many languages are spoken in these halls and many people are represented. It may feel as though it is not quite a true, but for some it is the only education they can get, and for others like me it's just the starting block.

The high school life is one that should be enjoyed. While getting ready for college is crucial, your life as part of the "youth" is temporary, and graduation marks the time in your life when that is ending and your transition begins. To cherish every minute of that last year is the most important advice. Those moments with your friends could be final. As soon as graduation hits, people start scattering, and only some of those people make it home during holidays and summers. The times spent at dances and dating and being naive are numbered. The teachers, the rules, the careless living, and the same friends are all going to change. So the best words of advice are, "keep your priorities straight, don't be stupid, but really enjoy yourself."

The worst thing about Kirkwood is while you are getting an education I feel as though I am not getting an education that is all in depth. Kirkwood is a great place to start but I think students should know that it is only scratching the surface. Students should see about transferring to 4-year colleges so that they can be challenged and fully informed. The only other bad thing is the parking.

Lindsey

My classmates are decicated to their school work and their performance within the classroom.

If I were able to go back in time, I would tell myself to be more open with my teachers. My biggest problem was not being able to effectively communicate with my teachers. I wouldn't ask questions becuase I was afraid that they would think I was dumb or didn't know what I was talking about. This put an enormous amount of pressure on me becuase I would always try to solve the problem on my own, instead of asking for help. Not asking questions and talking with my teachers was the biggest mistake that I made during high school, and I regret doing so. If I would have asked questions when I didn't understand something, it would have made things much easier and less stressful later on in school.

I like to talk about how Kirkwood's class sizes are so small. The average class is around eighteen students, which allows for more one-on-one time with the professors. I think that this is more valuable for students compared to a university setting where there can be three hundred students in a class. With so many students, there is little to no interaction between the professor and student.

Kirkwood Community College is known not only in Iowa but across the nation. They offer many different courses that allow you to be successful. They have an exceptional science building and is one of the rare community colleges to have a cadaver for students to observe. With the small class and campus size, it makes learning easier. Kirkwood goes above and beyond in helping their students move to the next step in their lives. They strive to make transferring easier by offering courses equivalent to colleges worldwide and provide many free workshops that help you after your Kirkwood graduation.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would set up a meeting and give my advice. The first thing that I would address would be that it is essential to stay on task right from the beginning of the semester. Every test, lab, quiz, etc is important and will affect your final grade. Also, don't get behind. If you study a little bit everyday come test time, cramming will not be necessary. Second, I would advise to apply for as many scholarships possible and that they are out there. Third, would be to not be afraid to ask for extra help. The teachers are there to help you succeed and if you ask they will do anything in their power to get you where you need to be to succeed in their class.

One important factor that I wished I would have know before coming to Kirkwood, is all the financial opportunities they offered. There are so many opportunities to help lower your tuition cost that I did not take advantage of.

Cora

If I were to go back in time to give my self some advice I would tell myself to enjoy college and to work hard to acheive my goals. Thats the one thing I did not do for myself when I first attended college right out of highschool. I did not set goals for myself. Goals are so very important because they keep you motivated, and on the correct track with your schooling. The transition from highschool to college can be dificult , but it can also be smooth if you use the resources that most colleges offer freshmen. My suggestion to all students who are graduating and heading off to collge is to work hard, manage your time wisely and enjoy the experiences that college can offer you. You will make great friendships and create memories that will last a life time.

I wish I would have known how genuinelly helpfull all the staff at Kirkwood are. They are right their to answer any and all the questions that students might have. When I decided to head back to school, I was very unsure on what exactly I needed to do. After making a few phone calls to some of the departments at the school the staff was great in heading me off into the proper directions. I would highly recomend Kirwood to any student either returning to school or coming out of highschool.

Rady to learn and motivated to accomplish your goals. These are a few characteristics that a person would need to poses in order to exccide at Kirkwood Community College. Kirwood offers a wide variety of courses. They also are unique because they offer many classes for people that aren't the typicall college student. They off night and weekend courses that help acomidate the working students. They also offer flexable classes that can be taken online or as a packet class. Kirkwood is great with working with students to help them in achieving their goals on all levels.

Kirkwood Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.