Cedar Rapids, IA
Kirkwood Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Kirkwood Community College

James

My school is there to help the students.

My school is there to help the students.

In the school I attend my classmates are helpful. We help each other whenever one of us is stuck with a problem or concept.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior I would have a few things to say. First I would tell past self to study hard and learn helpful study skills. I would tell my past self to start taking better notes now so when he starts college he will know how to take fast and effective notes. I would tell him to learn how to set a schedule for studying and stick to it. I would tell my past self to take a college visit and meet with an advisor before going to college. Lastly I would tell him to plan study groups with friends.

Abigail

I would give myself a lot of advice; there are a lot of things I would do differently. First of all, I would be much more active in my college search. I thought I wanted (and could) stay in high school so I put off my college search and just took the easy way out: going to the closest state university. What a bad decision. If I could do it over again, I would follow my dreams and look out of state, which is exactly what I am doing now that I have decided to transfer. Once I moved in with my roommate, we didn't spend a lot of time getting to know each other, though I wish we would have. We got close later in the semester, but the transition into college would have been much easier if we had developed a friendship and trust sooner rather than later. I would also tell myself to get to know my professors right away. Go in to their office hours the first or second weeks of school to just introduce yourself and get familiar with them. It'll be easier to approach them when you actually need help.

The worst thing about my school would be the lack of communication between my teachers and I. I proves to be so difficult for me to get ahold of my teachers even for the simpliest question! A few of my professors have forgotten to even show up for their office hours. None of them seem to be adament about checking their email, and I suffer the consequences.

Honestly, I don't brag about my school. I am transferring to Kansas State University in the fall. When it came time to research and choose a college in high school I avoided it. I was not ready to be done so I tried to put off the inevitiable. Because of that decision, I was absolutely miserable my first year and a half of college. Be active in your college search, don't just put it off and then take the easy route like I did. It is a decision that will affect the rest of your life.

Drew

My School is best known for being a great place for students to begin their college experience. Kirkwood prides itself on providing cheap quality education to their students. Kirkwood also prides itself on its slogan "Start Here, Go Anywhere" which means that their credits they give out are transferable to many four year universities. If the student is content with a two year degree Kirkwood also provides excellent course studies to help students jump right into their work field.

Kirkwood is Iowa's largest community college with learning centers spread out over eastern Iowa which makes it easy for students to attend classes without having to drive to the main campus in Cedar Rapids. Kirkwood is also the cheapest community college in the area and also the most renowned. Kirkwood also has programs set up with the three main universities in Iowa that students can be a part of which will help their transition to one of those schools easier.

I would tell myself to get used to becoming more organized and learn to balance work and the school the best i could.

Tanya

The classmates I've been with have all been friendly and helpful if I needed them, they're all just students trying to get through college like myself.

I know that it can be hard to get things done early, especially if you don't know exactly what you want to do but if you have any classes in mind you should sign up for them early. The longer you wait the more your choices narrow, and the longer you have to wait to take a class of choice. If you decide not to talk to an advisor about what classes you should take in whatever degree you pursue, you should know where to look for the requirements needed to either transfer or graduate. They have a degree audit link on the page that tells you exactly what you need for graduation, the classes you can choose to take to accomplish graduating, and your progress in your degree. Other than that just don't get discouraged if you don't know what you want to do or don't do things the way you want, especially the first two years because they're there to pretty much just get you used to the transition and explore your options.

The way financial aid is processed and distributed. It takes a long time to go through the system, which is understandable but I have heard of way too many mix ups in how the processed money was distributed and people getting smaller amounts than they originally qualified for.

Jamie

Dear self, If only I could've warned you about college life, and prevented you from making some terrible mistakes, but then again you made some great accomplishments. First, make sure you eat food on your first day of classes, when your stomach talks and rumbles so the whole class can hear, you'll wish you had. Don't worry about getting around on campus, the staff and students are so friendly and kind they'll help you around when you can't find the new Benton hall. Never skip class, you do it once, you'll do it again, and breaking that habit was harder than quitting biting your nails. Don't leave your straightener on in your apartment, that counter top cost a pretty penny. The televesion shouldn't be a component of studying. Take Sociology classes, not Psychology, just isn't your strong suit. Don't get discouraged by your failures, improve yourself. Set goals I promise you will reach them, because I did. You can always do better. At the end of the day be happy where you are, because home might be where the heart is, but Kirkwood was a great place to grow.

Before I came to Kirkwood Community College I wish I would've known about the amazing student groups we have. Student Senate, Drama club, Choir, there are so many amazingly talented groups of people, and I wish I would've gotten involved as soon as I arrive there, rather than later.

The worst thing about Kirkwood Community College is the growing student body and not enough class spaces. I've found it difficult to register for the specific classes I need, because there was an extreme increase in students this school year. I've had to put off some classes I need to graduate until the summer, when I could've graduated if I took them in the spring.

Gloria

It has the lowest tuition in Iowa for community colleges.

It has the lowest tuition in Iowa for community colleges.

Know what you want to study before your go to college and study everyday, it will make college so much easier.

There is nothing bad about my school.

Pete

Dear Me: I know going to college is exciting and I know you don't know what you want to do with your life, but you need to work harder, study more and realize that the things you have now won't always be there. I know it's hard when people leave your life, and it can be hard to focus but you need to know that things get better and that school is the most important thing, spend your time studying instead of worrying. I know this has been a short note, but you'll figure out the rest of college, I wouldn't want to give too much of it away, that's the beauty of life, 17 year-old me, every day is a new day to breathe new air into your lungs and take control of your life. Seize life by the throat and never look back. Much love, Pete

I wish I'd known how easy the classes would be, I wish I'd known how dumb my fellow students would be, I wish I'd known that the people running the college were inept.

This school is rather slow, it's good if you need to get your gen-eds out of the way but if you're looking for a challenging academic environment look elsewhere.

Autumn

I worked very hard in High School to get good grades so that I would be eligible for scholarships. I also worked two jobs to save money for college because I am paying for my own college education. My parents make enough money that I don't qualify for grants, but not enough to pay for all of us to attend college. Making the choice to start at a community college was also a very wise decison. The smaller class sizes and the lower tuition have both been very beneficial to me. I took PSEO classes in High Shcool also, so that I had some of my college credits before I even began college. ALl of these things helped me to prepare for the transitoin very well. If there was any additoinal advice I could have given myself, it would have been to check into the university requirements better than I did. My guidance counselor told me that I didnt need a 4th year of foreign language and it is required by the University. I would have taken it in college, had I known.

The small class sizes have really been a good step for me to go from a small high school into a college program. I had considered starting at a 4 year state university, but I am glad that I started at a 2 year college now. It is also less expensive and that really helps.

There aren't as many classes to choose from at a smaller school. Plus Kirkwood doesn't have dormitories and you really miss out on that part of campus life there. They have apartments, but the rent is higher than getting a place on your own that isn't in their complexes.

Christina

Everyone tells you that the freshman year is the hardest, but they're wrong. The truth is, freshman year is easy. Your school is so busy trying to get you used to your first year away from home that they over-cushion the transition. When your freshman year is over, you come back expecting to know what you need to know to make it through to graduation. This time, you're wrong. Sophomore year is a whole other beast. I had to take medical leave for a breakdown during that year, and now have to work doubly hard to get back into school. My advice is: when freshman year is over, don't let your guard down. Use your friends and the staff at your school to make sure you stay healthy, both physically and mentally. This way, you can stay on the right path and not have to work so hard to get back on that path.

I only get to chat with my classmates online, but they are all very easy to talk to and helpful if need be. We all lend a hand if anyone needs some pointers on an assignment or test.

Ah, I have thought about this mant times! If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to study hard and keep my grades up. We don't realize how grades and GPA's can effect us long term, but I have found out it can come back to haunt you! I would have volunteered more and participated in more extracurricular activities. I would tell myself that hanging out with friends should come second to homework and studying and hanging out with the wrong crowd will never get your anywhere! In addition to studying harder, I would have told myself to take more college classes while in high school. I took one class, but if I would have taken more, it would have lightened my load in college. I would have also thought more about what I wanted to major in instead of blowing it off. If we could only go back in time and make ourselves unerstand how our actions will stick with us for a lot longer than what we can imagine!

I am taking online classes due to the long distance I live from the campus, but I wish I was better at time management and spacing out my assignments and tests. I have 3 children, so it can be hard to find time for assigments but some time management skills would have benefited me before going back to school.

Kirkwood Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.