Kirkwood Community College

« See more reviews of Kirkwood Community College

Dear self, If only I could've warned you about college life, and prevented you from making some terrible mistakes, but then again you made some great accomplishments. First, make sure you eat food on your first day of classes, when your stomach talks and rumbles so the whole class can hear, you'll wish you had. Don't worry about getting around on campus, the staff and students are so friendly and kind they'll help you around when you can't find the new Benton hall. Never skip class, you do it once, you'll do it again, and breaking that habit was harder than quitting biting your nails. Don't leave your straightener on in your apartment, that counter top cost a pretty penny. The televesion shouldn't be a component of studying. Take Sociology classes, not Psychology, just isn't your strong suit. Don't get discouraged by your failures, improve yourself. Set goals I promise you will reach them, because I did. You can always do better. At the end of the day be happy where you are, because home might be where the heart is, but Kirkwood was a great place to grow.

The advice I would give myself if I were about to go back and talk to myself as a highshool senior, I would tell myself to relax, don't stress so much. No need to blow things out of porportion, everything will be ok. My number one advice to myself would be that open up do not be afraid of things or people if someone doesn't like you, it's there lost, and if something does not work out it was not meant to be. Do not wait for someone to make the first move on a conversation, talk to them, be yourself. Also, get envoloved in more activites and organazations around the college. Do not be afraid if you do not know anyone that is going out for it too, you'll meet new people, your building character. Speak out about a problem when it first arises, don't wait till things blow way out of porportion to say something. Always listen to your heart, be true to yourself. Do not make company with people just because they are there and you are lonely, your true friends will come. Keep in touch with your friends.

I would give myself a lot of advice; there are a lot of things I would do differently. First of all, I would be much more active in my college search. I thought I wanted (and could) stay in high school so I put off my college search and just took the easy way out: going to the closest state university. What a bad decision. If I could do it over again, I would follow my dreams and look out of state, which is exactly what I am doing now that I have decided to transfer. Once I moved in with my roommate, we didn't spend a lot of time getting to know each other, though I wish we would have. We got close later in the semester, but the transition into college would have been much easier if we had developed a friendship and trust sooner rather than later. I would also tell myself to get to know my professors right away. Go in to their office hours the first or second weeks of school to just introduce yourself and get familiar with them. It'll be easier to approach them when you actually need help.

Times is like a sword if one did not cut it , it will cut you. It is what makes us regret and wish we could get more time which we can not do, having time on your side helps build a better road towards the goal you intend to follow. If time was not on your side it will be very difficult to manage especially studying. At highschool it is very important to concentrate on time and plan what you want to major in , and let it be based on what your interested in. What i found very helpful is picturing myself 20 years later waking up to go to work, if you wake up to a job you think you love becuase of what your interested in then that is a start to what kind of career you might be wiling to seek. The 1st step is the most important, finiding the career that one can predict he or she will devote to and make him or her happy. Learning about different majors will help you narrow down what could possibly be the best future, anything is possible if time was on your side.

I worked very hard in High School to get good grades so that I would be eligible for scholarships. I also worked two jobs to save money for college because I am paying for my own college education. My parents make enough money that I don't qualify for grants, but not enough to pay for all of us to attend college. Making the choice to start at a community college was also a very wise decison. The smaller class sizes and the lower tuition have both been very beneficial to me. I took PSEO classes in High Shcool also, so that I had some of my college credits before I even began college. ALl of these things helped me to prepare for the transitoin very well. If there was any additoinal advice I could have given myself, it would have been to check into the university requirements better than I did. My guidance counselor told me that I didnt need a 4th year of foreign language and it is required by the University. I would have taken it in college, had I known.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior. I would telll myself to not to worry so much about college. It may be a big transition from being with family and living on your own, but you will get use to it and make new friends along the way. All you have to do is be open to all the new people around you and do not be shy to join in the fun because everyone is also experiencing the new transition, all you have to do is embrace it. Also I would advise myself to do as much extracurricular activities you make many new friends and you will enjoy yourself. You never know what you like if you do not try it out at all. Some big thing to remember is do all your school work before anything else so you do not fall behind and be responsible no one will be looking after you like they did in high school, but enjoy yourself at the same time. You have to have fun because, all work and no play makes you a very dull boy.

The one thing you need to know about college is that it is very different. Some days will be scary, whether it's not having any friends in class, not sure how to get your financial aid to pay for your books or just being stressed out by the amount of homework each class gives you, just know that you can do it. You may not feel it at times, but you are a strong, smart girl and in a few years all of this struggle will be worth it. When you are up on that stage, and that Diploma is put into your hands, that will be the moment that you will be completely happy because you did it. All the late night studying and taking advanced classes to look better on transcripts was all worth it just for that moment. If there is one thing you will learn without me telling you is that the harder you work, the more you will get out of it. I konw it sounds silly but it will be worth it. You can do anything through Him who gives you strength.

I know that it can be hard to get things done early, especially if you don't know exactly what you want to do but if you have any classes in mind you should sign up for them early. The longer you wait the more your choices narrow, and the longer you have to wait to take a class of choice. If you decide not to talk to an advisor about what classes you should take in whatever degree you pursue, you should know where to look for the requirements needed to either transfer or graduate. They have a degree audit link on the page that tells you exactly what you need for graduation, the classes you can choose to take to accomplish graduating, and your progress in your degree. Other than that just don't get discouraged if you don't know what you want to do or don't do things the way you want, especially the first two years because they're there to pretty much just get you used to the transition and explore your options.

Ah, I have thought about this mant times! If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to study hard and keep my grades up. We don't realize how grades and GPA's can effect us long term, but I have found out it can come back to haunt you! I would have volunteered more and participated in more extracurricular activities. I would tell myself that hanging out with friends should come second to homework and studying and hanging out with the wrong crowd will never get your anywhere! In addition to studying harder, I would have told myself to take more college classes while in high school. I took one class, but if I would have taken more, it would have lightened my load in college. I would have also thought more about what I wanted to major in instead of blowing it off. If we could only go back in time and make ourselves unerstand how our actions will stick with us for a lot longer than what we can imagine!

Everyone tells you that the freshman year is the hardest, but they're wrong. The truth is, freshman year is easy. Your school is so busy trying to get you used to your first year away from home that they over-cushion the transition. When your freshman year is over, you come back expecting to know what you need to know to make it through to graduation. This time, you're wrong. Sophomore year is a whole other beast. I had to take medical leave for a breakdown during that year, and now have to work doubly hard to get back into school. My advice is: when freshman year is over, don't let your guard down. Use your friends and the staff at your school to make sure you stay healthy, both physically and mentally. This way, you can stay on the right path and not have to work so hard to get back on that path.