Knox College Top Questions

Bekah

The academics at Knox are challenging in a good way. Classes are filled with students who are interested in the material and professors who are passionate about learning. The professors push you to do your best but are understanding at the same time. Since the average class size is about 17 students, your professors know your name and care about your education. Also professors teach two classes a term and when they are not teaching they are available to meet with students face to face, you will not have a TA teaching your classes here at Knox. The professors care about what you are learning and are always here to help. In high school I felt like my teachers treated me like a child, but at Knox I am treated with respect and have an eye to eye relationship with my professors. Last year my Gender Women Studies professor invited all of us over for dinner at her house. It was so much fun, we discussed issues going on in the field as well as listened to music and just had fun together. I love the academics at Knox because I am learning all the time and I am actually enjoying school for once in my life.

Emalie

All of my professors know who I am and say hi to me if they see me anywhere on campus. They are all really good people and I even have a lot of their personal home phones. My favorite class at Knox would be impossible to choose because i have loved so many; however, if I had to choose I would say that the writing courses I have taken have made me a much better writer. As a Creative Writing and Black Studies double major I write all the time! Being able to write and talk to professors about publishing is great. All of my writing professors have been published authors themselves and so they really do know what they are talking about. As far as studying goes it really depends on your workload and the classes you are taking. I usually log about 40 study hours in a week but I am also in very reading heavy classes. I never feel like I can't get my work done and sleep and all that jazz. Almost everyone attends class everyday. There are days when you are sick and things and professors will give you a break on that unless it seems to be coming up too often. A lot of classes it is really important to show up because they are discussion based. I know at some schools people feel a lot of competition but I really don't feel like that here. I feel like I have a pretty chill environment to work in. I know that if I do the best I can it will be recognized and that my papers aren't going to be compared to every other person is doing but how the professor thinks I am progressing. Unique classes are not rare here, we have a lot of fun classes that I didn't ever think I would get to take until I started looking at Knox. For instance, I have taken Children's Literature and that was a crazy fun course. I am a Creative Writing and Black Studies double major - in each of those departments I do a lot of reading and a lot of writing. I am on a first name basis with both chairs of those departments and have had classes with them as well. My departments are really open and fun environments to work in.

John

Class sizes are generally small, sometimes no more than four or five people, and intense. Faculty here are often on the cutting edge of their field, a function of the whole scholar teacher deal, and seek to provide their students with assignments that challenge not only what you know about a topic but how you think and approach that topic. I have never had a professor who was not willing to take some extra time out of class to discuss homework, or an exam, or just to talk about what was going on in my life, and consequently have been receiving a great education.

Shayna

At such a small campus it is hard to be considered just a number. At Knox this is definitely the case -- which can be a blessing and/or annoying as waiting for your next True Blood fix! MAJOR NO BUENO. But on the bright side, I think this is more of a benefit than set back. When people know you its usually because someone has taken an interest in you for good reasons. This also, helps create a sense of community and make you feel like people actually care about you which is helpful when coming from a far away place and you may be missing home.

Kenton

- Professors are generally knowledgeable. - Small class sizes; one-on-one instruction available (if student takes initiative; students here don't take initiative). - Class participation is common, however, quality class participation is not. - Students do not have intellectual conversations outside of class. The social scene is devoid of intellectual pursuits; it is striking and awful. - Students are not competitive; very apathetic and devil-may-care attitude is prevalent. - Education is geared towards knowledge rather than job-seeking, however, students tend to be far more job-oriented. The intellectual culture among students is greatly lacking. - Decent Economics department; diverse faculty from various areas of expertise. Many research opportunities and topics of study.

john

The professors are very helpful, IF you are joe student. once you have personal circumstances, they would rather hurt than help. knox is more concerned with looking good than helping students get what they need.

Aurora

Academics at Knox are one of the best parts of the school. Professors like to come up with challenging and often creative projects for their students, but they are also very understanding of students' needs. If a student is struggling in any way, even if it has nothing to do with their classes, professors care and will try to help in any way they can. And the very best classes at Knox, are, of course, the creative writing ones! Creative writing professors neither turn their students completely loose and just tell them to write "whatever". Nor do they tell you how to rewrite your story. They actually help you to find your own way of writing. And, of course, Knox students love to have intellectual conversations after class, especially philosophical ones. If you've ever enjoyed rambling on about the point of existence, Knox is the place for it.

Morgan

Excellent academics. Excellent attentive professors. Academics is cool at Knox.

Student-professor relationships at Knox are very strong. Class sizes are always small with the exception of large introductory classes that usually fall under the sciences, and even then, professors are extremely accessible. Professors want to help you, guide you, and challenge you to go above and beyond what is assigned. They are truly interested and passionate about what they are teaching and that is reflected in how their enthusiasm spreads to the student body. Many students pursue topics and things that would not normally be presented in the mainstream, but which can easily be researched in the Knox environment. Knox provides a very inter-disciplinary environment where you can always apply what you are learning in one class to another even if on the surface the two subjects seem totally irrelatable. Studying is definitely a necessity at Knox if you want to make the top grades. Independent work is a big component so you must be able to have a good sense of self-discipline to keep yourself on track. The trimester system is nice because you only take approximately three classes at a time which allows you to focus more on what you are learning.

Dale

The academics at Knox are some of the best I've ever looked into. The professors make it a point to learn your name and help if there's a problem. They're willing to work with you, regardless of if it takes personal time. This adds to the willingness of the students to get their work done and do their best. Some of the students are competitive, but it's by their own terms. The campus itself is not competitive, with the exception that Knox College demands the best of every student.

Patrick

Most classes are discussion-oriented, to make sure that students can apply what they're learning. Students and professors are nearly always on a first-name basis, and it's not uncommon to hold class at a professor's house or a restaurant from time to time. On average, I probably spent 15-20 hours a week studying, though I once pulled 17 all-nighters in one ten-week term. The Knox education is founded upon the fundamentals of liberal arts - that a truly educated person should have an understanding a many subjects. The goal is to turn students into world citizens who are conscious of the events taking place around them - so career-oriented education doesn't really have a place at Knox.

Dawson

Professors know your name, and take an active role in ensuring that you follow the correct steps to your academic success.

Jay

Even though you usually only have three classes, that doesn't mean you can slack off academically at Knox. The professors here assign enough work to compare to the workload at a bigger school. For example, next term I'm going to be taking a Fiction Workshop class. Not only does the class meet for five and a half hours at a time, but it's a heavily writing and critique-based course that encourages much student participation. There are many classes that will push you to do your best. You think you might not be able to handle it, but you often surprise yourself. The best piece of advice is to live by your datebook. As soon as an assignment is mentioned in class, write it down while it's still fresh in your mind. Your planner is like a lifesaver in the sea of activities. It'll help keep you afloat about all the things you have to take care of.

Sasha

favorite class- political science ones on globalization issues. amazing teachers.sooooo inspiring and personal.always approachable.small classes so much discussion. noone is sn ubbed.every thought is encouraged. learning for its own sake im guessing is the end product. but totally worth it. u learn to question status quo not be a puppet.

The classes at Knox are small, usually around 20, but I have had a few classes with more than 40 or 50. Even with those large classes the professor will still know your name and you can still get help. My favorite class was taught by my favorite professor. Every morning we would start by reading a news story related to the class, Environmental Chemistry. It was a great way to relate class notes to the real world. Knox is a great school to prepare students for the future. It can be great as a prelude to graduate school or it can be great for preparing students to become teachers right after graduation, for example.

Caitlin

The requirements that Knox has creates a well rounded basis of education. The classes are small, and I've always been encouraged to participate in my classes, and have benefited from the contributions of others. The professors know your name and are more than willing to talk outside of class.

Jerry

Professors are the best thing Knox can offer. As mentioned above many of them are really respected in their subject area, and above that they are great professors and people. Professors always know who you are, and know how you are doing in their class. They might also know what kind of views and ideals you have. I told you, the relationship of student-professor is really intimate. Class participation is highly encouraged in humanities and social sciences, I am not sure about others. Knox students are nerds. They love talking about what they studied. People here study their asses off, but the ones that get the best grades are actually not like that. So I guess they are just dumb. Knox is a very hard college. They bomb you with readings and homework. Academically and intellectually really challenging as well. This is something good. Trust me, you would get a lot more out of a liberal arts college rather than from a big college. Liberal arts do not create scientists, writers, they create critical thinkers.

Tasha

The academics at Knox tend to be very rigorous, but satisfying. Once I was talking with a friend and she said, "It's fairly easy to be a B student at Knox, but it's really difficult to be an A student." I think this is an accurate description. Class sizes are small, most of the professors are very personable. My favorite class so far has definately been Sexism and Racism in Post War German Literature, which counted for credit in my major and both my minors. While Knox doesn't have very many specialty classes, the ones they do have are usually really interesting.

Kate

Knox is hard! I never thought I would be getting the education that I am and I am eternally grateful. In high school I was top 20{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} and expected to stay the same way through college. Simultaneously, everyone else enrolled at Knox was probably top 20{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} at their high schools. Although I am not getting the grades that I did in High school, I know I am receiving the best education that I can.

Andy

The attention from professors at Knox is unparalled, as far as I know. I have many favorite classes, and my advisor and I are great friends who routinely share life experiences and thoughts. Classes are generally very engaging, which is good because we only take three at a time. This way, you can delve deeply into a few subjects and really get a "feel" for the discipline in order to determine what matters to you. Moreover, Knox's relatively lithe core requirements allow students to take a variety of disciplines before settling down into a concentration. In addition, Knox courses tend to be unconventional in style and content. Professors often prefer a seminar-style discussion format rather than straight lectures, and they often include convergent information from a variety of sources to illustrate the bigger picture of whatever you're studying. I probably won't know to what extent Knox classes have enlightened me and stimulated my mind to seek more knowledge until after I've graduated, but what I can say now is I am very pleased with the wide range (sciences, arts, humanities) of intellectual and extracurricular pursuits I've dosed myself with here.

Brian

My major is very unique in that it is interdisciplinary as well as the fact that I am the only declared American Studies major at Knox right now. Being an AMST major, I have been allowed ti kind of create my own curriculum. There are core requirements to study, but the interdisciplinary nature has allowed to focus in on an area of study that holds my interest. I am glad that I chose this major because it has allowed to me really dig into issues that I find interesting.

Mandy

A large part of what I contributed in Knox: A Big Picture could be cut and pasted here. Since Knox is such a small school, professors do tend to know students by name which increases accountability for factors such as class attendance, participation and most importantly, grades. My department, biology, is incredibly supportive on independent investigation and encourages independent study as well as requiring students to perform senior research. Such and education prepares graduates in the major for jobs in research as well as preparation for higher education. One characteristic Knox requires of all students is curiosity, so it is not at all uncommon to come across students having intellectual discussions outside of the classroom setting. We are indeed a competitive bunch, but also supportive. We help each other along.

Tyler

All my professors know my name and know at least a little about me. That is one of the great things about going to a smaller college, the level of attention you receive is much higher than a large school. I have many friends that go to the University of Illinois or Western Illinois and their class sizes are ridiculous. Some students can just show up on test days and still pull of a C or a B in the class. Here at Knox there has not been one class that I have taken that has not had an attendance policy. The professors here really dedicate themselves to helping the students learn, if they put in the necessary effort. The writing department is especially good, the school itself is known for how it improves writing. My creative writing has taken leaps and bounds since I have been here.

Meredith

I know all my professors by their first names and I have been to my academic advisor's house on numerous occasions for dinner. I have loved all my classes at Knox! Class participation is almost always a given due to small class sizes. Students definitely have intellectual discussions outside of class. The most unique class I have taken is Israel/Palestinian Film and Theater with a visiting professor/Israeli playwrite. Knox provides a fantasic liberal arts education.

Lavinia

Professors here tend to go by first name. All the teachers I have had classes with have been really open and willing to help. Even some of the teachers I've never had a class with helped me with one thing or another or just been cool to hang out with. Classes here are a lot of work. If you want to just cruise through without working your ass off every day you will not make it through even one term. Knox prides itself in making any class that would be easy anywhere else, particularly intense.

Annie

Most of the classes are small- approx 15 students. Many people continue conversations they had in class outside of the classroom. I would say students are competitive and students care deeply about their academics. Professors are very easy to get in contact with and it's common to be invited to a professors house for dinner.

Kim

The classes are usually small enough that the professors know everyone by name. The academics are challenging and keep you on your toes.

Jamie

Your professors always know your name, and you will see them frequently around campus and in the town. Once a year one of my professors (and I know many other who would do this) would have a pizza party at his house. My favorite class was Constitutional Law with Lane Sunderland. There were 12 kids in my class and it was taught just like it is at a law school. The way he led discussions really helped us digest the material, and his stories are always interesting and he is a wonderful professor at engaging the students. My least favorite class was Comparative Politics. The professor would curve everyone who got below a 70{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} on exams up to a 70{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}. So if you are fine getting a c- you could get literally a 20{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} on your exam and he would give you a c-. He really didn't try to teach anything, and discussions were awful and painful- and in a classroom of 20 kids you cannot avoid them. He made us do numerous irrelevant group projects and forced everyone to eat international food to earn our class participation points. Probably the most rediculous class I have ever taken. Students always have intellectual conversations outside of class, and study groups are common. There really isn't any sort of competative pressure, everyone is treated pretty equally. The most unique class I took was Politics and Elections. The entire class you just followed a senate campaign and studied up on your assigned candidates and so the class completely focused on real intuative skills you would use in any public policy or political fields. You had to write a paper in past tense about who won the race but turn it in at 7am on election day so you wouldn't actually know who won! It was stressful but exciting. I think having the structure of a liberal arts education is vital in today's job market. Knox focuses on learning for its own sake, but also has job placement and viable marketing techniques to make sure regardless of your major you have numerous opportunities upon graduation.

Ryan

Professors absoultely know my name! Class sizes are small so we have the chance to get to kno our professors and each other. Depending on the class you're in (lower levels are, obviously, less challenging) but I spend a good amount of time in the library working on classes. My classes don't typically take over my life, but I do spend a good amount of time studying and working closely with my professors. I see professors outside of class for the ocassional dinner with other students at his/her home or out at a restaurant. Education at Knox is about experience and learning - not about learning the "right things" to get a job. Everything is very hands on.

Maria

I hear that our creative writting program is top notch. It's a liberal arts education so there are requirements that you take a little bit of everything before you graduate. Yes Knox students do have intellectual conversations outside of class. The education you get here is not job specific it's learning just for the sake of learning.

Steven

Academics is where Knox really shines. Even in 100 level classes, professors are engaged in your learning and willing to devote obscene amounts of time to help you out. A story that comes to mind is my beginning acting class. Aside from weekly meetings to discuss everything from our progress in class to how our term in general was going, the professor would make meeting at ANY time the student requested. In preparation for our final performance, we got two 90-minute coaching sessions. Because of finals, it was difficult to find common time, and the professor actually met us at 11PM and worked with us until a little past 1 in the morning. This is closer to the exception than the rule among professors. There are occasional clunkers, but nearly every teacher on campus is dedicated to helping students maximize their education. The down-to-earth personality of the student body leads to more practical discussions than the head-in-the-clouds nature stereotype of small liberal arts schools. Discussions are intellectual and heated, but not overly philosophic. This is also how I'd describe intellectual discussions outside of class. I've found myself less likely to pick over the finer points of Kant, and more likely to discuss how cultural differences between myself and my suitemates. The main reason I came to Knox was the creative writing program, and I've not been disappointed. The writing professors are, much like the student body, more down-to-earth than one would expect. I call all my professors by their first names, and in general our relationship is less like student/teacher and more like experience writer/junior colleague. Aside from incredibly focused and instructive intro classes, professors are more than willing to discuss grad school and career opportunities in creative writing, and will even provide you contacts. However, the most striking feature of the program is the infamous workshops, usually run from 7:30 to midnight on a weeknight. It's a unique class, but one especially well-suited to creative writing. 4 and half hours is enough time for everyone to get their story/poem work shopped in depth, regardless of length. I've been told many times that there simply is no page limit in these classes. If you turn in a 30 page story, everyone will read, edit and critique all 30 pages with great attention. In addition to the one, large class, we meet weekly in small groups for a more focused discussion with our peers, and then usually once a week with the professor individually for an intensive workshop of your story. I cannot stress enough how much I've grown as a writer as a result of Knox's unique and challenging program.

Stef

Professors at Knox are pretty cool, almost every professor I've had knows my name. They are extremely friendly for the most part. They are very accessible outside of class. Even in non-academic situations (ie. Jazz night, covered in the student life section) professors can be seen and will acknowledge seeing you. Classes: A lot of classes are discussion based, therefore participation is a large part of Knox. It's really hard to choose my favorite class. I really enjoy most of the ones I have taken. I can narrow it down to Neuroscience and Theories of Personality. They were really fun to take and I the professors were cool. My least favorite class so far was Research Methods & Statistics 2...the title should explain it. Academic requirements are hard to fulfill if you are in any scientific field because there doesn't seem to be much planning. I have been waiting for a required class for quite some time, and it hasn't been offered. Some of the requirements seem a bit ridiculous to me (for example, language, even though I took nearly 5 years in high school and am fluent in another). I also don't really see Knox as preparing you for a job. They seem more focused on just learning information. LOTS OF INFORMATION.

Maurice

I am an education major and a Spanish and History minor. I have professors that I am close to in every field. Academics here are great because they challenge you in a way that traditional "leture hall" education can't do. And another great thing is that we are always taught by professors not TA's. The professors are always in their office during ofice hours and are more than willing to help you.

Anna

I'm not going to lie: Knox is a very difficult school. However, I have found the entire experience very rewarding and I would never choose another college. I'm on a first name basis will all of my professors and I know most of them on a personal level. The classes are really fun and interesting because many of them are discussion based. I have only had a few large classes (i.e. more than 25 people), but even those have been manageable and my professors still knew who I was. I have never felt uncomfortable asking professors questions or emailing them with something to look over. A few of my professors have even invited me to their homes for dinner or in association with a club event. Overall, the professors at Knox are truly unique and I feel very privileged to have this experience.

Gene

Academics definitely take the focus here at Knox. The professors will know who you are and definitely expect you to participate in class. In every single class I've had here at Knox, class participation was at least 10{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of my grade, and in most it was 30{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} or more. But NO FEAR! If you're terrified of speaking in front of other people, like my roommate is, just work up to it or talk to your professor outside of class about it. They will love you forever if you talk to them outside of class, at least most of the time.

Kate

Knox is on a unique 3-3 calender. The academic calendar has three terms, Fall, Winter, and Spring, and we take three classes during each of these ten week terms. This calendar has its pros and cons, but, personally, I love it! The classes are intense, covering an 18 week semesters worth of material in only 10 weeks, but, because you are so immersed in the material, you learn it more thoroughly. Our class sizes are small; the largest class I've had is my current Astronomy class, which was capped at 34, and the smallest class I've taken is 14, although I have heard of classes with as few students as 6. These really allows you to get to know both your professor and your classmates, which is very helpful come finals week, when you are scrambling to write papers and organize study groups. Your classes will definately extend outside your actual classrooms. I took a Gender and Women's Studies class my first term at Knox, and after chatting and become friends with one of my classmates, we decided to start a feminist radio show and blog!

Margaret

Academics at Knox are a big part of what makes the Knox experience so memorable, and a large part of why Knox was included in Loren Pope's book: Colleges that Change Lives. Every professor I've had knows my name, and will say hello when they see me in passing. My favorite class was "Women, Culture, and Society," taught by Kelly Shaw. Not only were the readings interesting, but the students were allowed to talk for the better part of every class period. Kelly was informed about the subjects we were discussing, which was helpful because she could provide us with facts and information we wouldn't otherwise have, but otherwise it was up to us to make class time worthwhile, and we always did. I never once missed one of those classes; it was the reason I woke up in the morning. If you come to Knox, you've got to be prepared to work hard. Some people might think that we don't work hard because we only take three classes at a time and we take those classes two or three times a week, but the lack of class time compared to other schools is made up for by the work load, and the fact that each term lasts only 10 weeks. It is a very concentrated learning environment, so there isn't a lot of room to slack off. I haven't seen much competitiveness in my classes at Knox so far. I think Knox does a good job of making sure every student has a voice, and every student has access to what they need to get the education they are looking for, so there is not really a need for competition among students for grades or the attention of the teacher. Some of the most unique classes I've seen offered here at Knox are The Holocaust in Theatre and Film, and Jane Austen and Bridget Jones. There are always new classes being offered for a term by visiting professors that promise to be a unique experience unlike any other classes you might take in your typical schedule. I am a double major of Music and Gender and Women's Studies. The Music Department is a very prestigious department at this school. The choir and the jazz ensembles in particular are very well-renowned, and the faculty who teach music lessons are all very wonderful people. There's something for everyone who wants to be involved. The Gender and Women's Studies department is one of my favorite departments on campus, because the faculty are all great people, and every class I've taken in that department has been extremely beneficial to me in some way. Those are the classes that I can tell have had a profound effect on who I am, which is what drew me to the major. During the first week on campus in your first year here, you are taken out to dinner by the faculty member who is going to be your advisor, at least until you declare a major. It was really great to get to spend some time with a Knox professor at his home in Galesburg within a few days of being on campus. I know many professors who take their students out to dinner or will meet with them over coffee to discuss some work they may want advice on. At the beginning of this year I met with a friend of mine at the home of two of our professors, had dinner, and spent the entire evening involved in six hours worth of stimulating conversation. As more and more students are interested in Knox, the requirements for admission are getting more and more difficult, but I think overall Knox does a good job at knowing who is right for this school and who is not. As far as graduation requirements go, you are sure to have a well-balanced education when you leave Knox. I feel like I will truly have a liberal arts education, because the graduation requirements force you to go outside of your major and take certain courses in other departments that are focused on completely different aspects of education and life than the courses you would take if you just focused on your career path. That is one of the things I love about taking classes here. You are strongly encouraged to do things outside of your major, which is what makes this campus so diverse. There are neuroscience majors in the choir, and there are football players who write poetry and are involved in the theatre department.

David

Academics at Knox are centered around the relationships formed between professor and student. Class sizes are usually small and so you're able to really form a freindship with your professors and it allows for better overall interactions.

One of the best things about Knox is that we're known for our academics, so it's totally acceptable to be smart here. Classes are small and you get to know your professors very well (whether you want to or not!). Professors I had once more than a year ago still recognize me and ask me how I'm doing when they see me around. The Education and English departments are excellent. I'm not at all biased, of course. There is work that is expected of you, obviously, but professors usually have no problem accepting that sometimes you need something extra to help you or that you do things a little differently than other people. They want to prepare you for life after Knox, and they tell you the truth.

Anita

At Knox the class sizes are so small that not only do most of the professors learn your name in the first couple of weeks, but many actually have students call them by their first names. My favorite class has been Molecular Biology and Genetics, because it covered some fascinating material and the labs really helped to demonstrate the topics covered in lecture. My least favorite class was the First-Year Preceptorial. That class depends entirely on what professor you have, and I was just unfortunate in that area. We have independent majors, so you can study just about anything you want. Don't let anyone tell you any differently: even though you're only taking three classes at a time, your work load is going to be huge. It's overwhelming at first, but after your first term you learn to adjust and it doesn't seem as bad. Class participation is usually part of your final grade in most classes.

Kelsey

Professor's are so down-to-earth, open, and intuitive. They will definitely know your name and will be there if you want to foster an individual relationship. My favorite class so far has been Beginning Acting which is such a far cry from high school drama class that it doesn't even warrant comparison. In one term I grew exponentially as an actress and my professor was with me, supervising my individual journey every step of the way, even outside of class. I came to Knox because I sat in on a class discussion where students actually had something to /say/. They discussed points that were relevant and interesting, rather than the usual participation grade sort of interaction that took place at other schools I looked at. The discussions continue outside of class, and I can recall specific dialogs with other students that have affected my outlook. Students are really here to learn. Group studying, individual studying, cramming- they all happen. The average student here is devoted to becoming an expert in their area of interest, so competition really is high. The studying here is geared towards learning about what you want to learn, but there are definitely resources that students can take advantage of to get a job.

Ben

Education at Knox is without any doubt geared toward learning for its own sake but because of Knox's credentials and the intelligence of the student body people end up becoming qualified for Grad School and careers without any special effort.

Knox students know they are smart...that's why we're all here. There are definitely intellectual conversations outside of the classroom. Students like myself chose Knox because it gives us the opportunity to participate actively in the academic setting. Professors know our names and sometimes our whole life history. Its not uncommon to see Knox students hanging out with professors after class at a restaurant/bar nearby the campus. I'm an International Studies and Chinese double major. I'm a first year student but I am already taking independent study courses and serving as a TA. Thus far, I've really loved all of my classes - statistics, philosophy, economics, chinese, and freshman preceptorial. I've felt challenged in every single one of them. Knox students should definitely take an econ course with Roy Andersen. He comes to class drunk most days and you never know what kind of crazy funny things he'll do.

Knox classes are amazing. They are small and interactive. Unfortunately, many students are not as intellectual and motivated as one might think they would be at this sort of institution. However, this is not across the boards true, and should not detract from the academic appeal of Knox. Most professors are dedicated, fair, and enthusiastic, and you are given ample opportunity to do hands-on lab work and create your own courses of study if you so choose. The workload can be quite rough, but the trimester academic system keeps things manageable and keeps the pace of study moving quickly--a good thing for people who burn out on classes halfway through a semester. In the Biology department, everyone knows my name--I take classes here, I assist with laboratories, and I can drop by a professor's office or the greenhouse just to chat with the staff. I love the familiarity and support this leads to, and the feeling that my professors are not authority figures but peers who respect me in my own academic right.

Andy

The Professors are wonderful. Class discussions are always very...interesting. Never a dull moment. You can be in a face to face heated debate with one of them, and they'll probably compliment you on your style or one of your points. I've seen it happen. Group projects, projects on general, or individual research is a big thing. You'll do all of these at some point. If you like getting lost in some obscure topic or idea, you're free (and encouraged) to do it here!

Levi

Knox's small size makes it ideal for academics. I know nearly all of my professors pretty well. The classes are small so you get to know your fellow students. There is a great line of communication between faculty and students. It is just a great enviornment to work in.