Knox College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Knox College

Shamecia

The school is average. Academics are pretty good: class sizes are small though and there are few faculty for each department. Town is small too and some of the housing is outdated.

Devin

Knox College was unlike any other school I toured. It stood out in one specific word: genuine. Every other school I toured was more concerned about the quantity versus quality. While I'm sure Knox values quantity, for them, quality came first. They prioritized my specific needs before I was even a student, and that's the reason I chose this college. I felt like an individual rather than a number, and that is still true as a student today.

Kaitlyn

I love it! Despite the pandemic, they have offered a pretty comprehensive experience and I am happier there than I have ever been. The community of students, professors, and faculty have been incredible and I have been happy with the campus offerings. I also love Galesburg and the unique character it offers students to explore.

Leslie

I look the overall school very much but it still needs some improvement in areas like the price of housing and board, and school food. The class sizes at Knox are great and personal, you will always be able to talk to your professors. The campus is also very lively and kind.

katie

I've really enjoyed it here so far. The teachers genuinely care about students learning, but also about their personal success beyond academics. The food has had ups and downs, but as a vegetarian I've still found more options than anywhere else. The available tutoring and writing help is incredible as well.

Timothy

I love going to school here! It's been an amazing experience for the last two years that I can't wait to continue. While it may not be perfect, it is a place where I have met amazing people and done so much growing as an individual. At this school, I'm able to pursue my goals and interests in a way that works for me.

James

As being a freshman at Knox College for one term so far, I have been blessed with an amazing campus and college to attend. All of the things that I need are no further than a 10 minute walk at the most and the campus environment is pretty amazing. Personally I am in a all guys dorm that also serves as the main building on campus. Upstairs are the dorms where I live and downstairs there is a computer lab, cafeteria, the gizmo (on campus restaurant), the bookstore and also the mailroom. Everything that I need is right downstairs which is great. The library is right next door to my dorm and the furthest I have to walk for class is to SMC. Everything is run very smoothly and there are hardly any problems on campus. The class sizes are also amazing, at the most there are 25 kids in one class, but the average class size is 17-18 kids in a class, which provides for more discussion based classes. Also I am a athlete, I play football and the environment around the team itself is pretty good, everyone is supportive of each other and loves to push the guy next to him to be better, which in turn creates a better team. The environment surrounding the entire athletic department is good, although we may not be very good when one of our teams win it energizes the whole campus. Access to meet with professors is better than probably any other college in the United States, because of the small sizes of the classes, there is more opportunity for one-on-one with the professors. There is also may academic support systems to help students better themselves and become amazing student. I loved my first term and I can’t wait to see what the next 3 years and 2 terms has in store for me.

harmonae

Overall, Knox is a pretty cool school to go to. You will definitely be challenged academically and you will be glad for it. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved in clubs and other events on campus, making it easier to meet people of different races and religion. The food could be way better, but you have options at least. The classes are nicely sized and you are open to talk to your professors a lot of the time.

Shanique

Good day everyone. My name us kiona Williams and I want to share my overview with Knox college with you all. Well basically Knox college is a nice school. It has quality teachers and of course they make learning seems easy and funny

Kyle

It's been a place I love to call home for three years of my life. I have been embraced for who I am and who I want to be at every turn by professors, fellow students, and even the custodial staff! This place has changed my life for the better. It is not a big place and may not be perfect for everyone, but it has been perfect for me.

Tiffany

Initially, I was really nervous about coming to Knox College. I have never been on my own before. Being one of the youngest in my family, I had family members who have been in college before, who tried to prepare me. I thought it was a going to be easy, especially judging on my high school experience. Once I got to Knox, it was a very different story. Knox did try to help with the adjustment; however, I was in denial. I never had to go to tutoring in high school because I never struggled in class. Needless to say, my first term at Knox was not the best because I received my first C. It was a learning experience. Knox helped me realized that there is nothing wrong with going to get help; it is perfectly acceptable to not understand something in class. However, you need to acknowledge that there is a problem and need to change something in order to strive. Knox definitely encouraged me to do well in my classes. Once I got the hang of the class speed and knowing how to balance a social life and academics, the college became easier. It still was not as easy as I thought it would have been in high school, but it became manageable. I started to enjoy my classes. Psychology was a major factor in this. Coming into college, I did not think that Psychology would be a potential major. I assumed that it might have been a second minor. This all changed from the first day of my Introduction to Psychology class, where I fell in love with the subject. It is interesting to understand how people interact with his or her environment. Psychology opened up my eyes to a new and empathetic world. Professor Peterson was my first psychology professor. His enthusiasm for Psychology seemed to connect with me. From that point forward, it was easy for me to know what I wanted to do in my life. I always felt a connection to working with others. I love helping those who need it. I always found myself to be the one within my friend group who was the designated listener and advisor. Psychology is a major where I can connect that interest from in the past to my future. History is also an important part of my future. I plan to minor in History. It is important to understand how events in the past can affect the way people interact in the present day. There is a grim saying that history tends to repeat itself. This is true. It is the duty of a historian to have interaction with people and help those understand history. History is an important tool in becoming a better individual and society. It should not take an event to repeat itself in order to learn from that experience. Understanding how individuals can grow from an event, whether it seems like a trivial event at the time, can lead to great growth. History and Psychology can go hand in hand. Psychology deals with understanding the way humans and animals work. History can point out what people have done in the past and the psychologist can understand why those people did what he or she did. Economics is my second minor. Economics is all about problem-solving. Understanding that there is a problem in any large or small market and trying to minimize it is the foundation of Economics. My sister was a large influence on this particular minor. She really helped me understand that I can do anything that I can set my mind to. She has her MBA. Business and Economics are very similar. Working with my sister had shown me that I can incorporate both Economics and History into Psychology. All of these disciplines involve an interaction of people. The more you understand why people do the things that he or she does, the better you can understand what he or she did and you can use that information to solve for future conflict. This connects the goals of Psychology, History, and Economics together in order to change in the future for the better. Speaking of future, my graduation will be happening in June of 2019. That does not leave much time. After graduation, I hope to use the resources I plan to attain during my Clinical Psychology Term to further my career. Basically, this is a term that is offered to Psychology majors during the winter of 2017. It is an internship where students are essentially in the same setting as clinical psychologists, counselors, and social workers. The section that I plan to focus on is the social workers. After graduation, I plan to work towards becoming a social service manager. This is how I can best incorporate my interest in helping people and by ambition to learn and grow from experiences. Every event in life is a learning experience. It can be either a positive or negative one. Being in social services, every day will be a learning experience. There are going to be many different types of individuals that you have to interact with. I am willing to have all the good and the bad experiences because that is how an individual grows. He or she looks back on those experiences and learn. Learning is a key aspect of life. From birth, we started to learn. We learned that if we cry, we will be fed. We learned about different subjects in school when we got older. Now, we learn how to use all of those experiences to the best of our ability and become the best type of psychologist, firefighters, teacher, and so on that, we can be. Throughout my life, I always knew that I wanted to help people. I have gone through the typical list of wanting to become a doctor, a lawyer, and a teacher. However, the best career for my future is through the psychology route. It is important to be passionate about what you want in your life. The goal in life is to be successful. Success means different things to different people, yet for me, it is to have a career that makes me happy. It is something that I want to do for the rest of my life. Not many people have that opportunity to do so, but I do and I plan to make the most of it.

Abigail

It is a school that has many resources to push you forward, but the student must be proactive for their own education. It is challenging and very fast paced. It does provide extra-curricular but since it is a smaller campus the attendance is smaller and the funds are limited. It is not as diverse as I hoped, but people are open minded and willing to speak up.

Courtney

After my first visit to Knox, I found myself in the campus bookstore crying. I was overwhelmed at how much I felt at home in Galesburg and at Knox. Now as a Sophomore at Knox, I can still say that I made the right choice. The academics push me to be a better student, and the professors genuinely want the best for me. I have made deep connections with staff, faculty, and students. Had I gone to a different school, I don't believe that I would have the great relationships like I have at Knox, or would I have the academic system that not only pushes me to do my best but exposes me to a variety of perspectives that I hadn't even thought much of. The opportunities for study abroad, research, internships, and volunteering seem endless. The college doesn't want students to just sit in a classroom for 4 years, but to get into the real world and apply our learning. I highly recommend coming and visiting the school for yourselves and see the history, the classes, the environment in general.

James

A small tight knit community where one can receive a quality education. D3 sports are a plus. Small town atmosphere, big town education. Interesting old buildings with history. Old dorm rooms could use a lot of updating! Interesting, eclectic student body.

Jeanette

Knox college is a positive active school. There is always help when needed and everyone is very friendly to make you feel safe. The faculty helps a lot if needed when it comes to your academics. Not only does going to Knox benefit your schooling, but also helps you build as a person. It is an all around good college.

I have, overall, enjoyed my experience at Knox College. It is far from perfect--tuition continues to increase, and the administration seems to care more about whale skeletons and art galleries than what the students actually want--but my academic experiences have been excellent, and I love my extracurricular activities. Knox has given me the opportunity to excel academically and as a leader of activities I participate in.

Oluwamayowa

Knox College is a place for a vast variety of people. There is something for everyone on the campus and there is an overflowing number of resources and opportunities available for students. Like most other colleges, the school is not perfect, but because of the different variety of people that choose to attend Knox college, everyone is a sure fit.

Adilene

Knox College is definitely a small school, and sometimes, you'll feel antsy to get out of there even if only for a few hours or a few days. A trip over to Peoria will seem like a week long cruise from the campus. You'll see the same people over and over again and weekdays may feel like they are all in the same. There isn't too many places to go if you don't have a car. But all in all, Knox is definitely worth going for the education, opportunities, and the people. The professors of my department are almost always open books; sometimes, we spend well over an hour talking about everything academic and nonacademic. Professors outside of my apartment wouldn't hesitate to have a conversation with you if you find them at the Gizmo. Opportunities for study abroad, internships, and volunteering pop up left and right. The people are friendly for the most part. There's a weird "Knox" personality that everyone seems to share, which I can't really describe in words. It's something you'd have to feel by visiting campus. All in all, Knox gave me many memories, and none of it wouldn't have been possible without any of these aspects that made Knox what it is.

Alexandria

Knox College, home of the famous Lincoln-Douglass Debate site, has lived up to my expectations. From all-inclusive clubs to Flunk Day, this college provides a variety of activities and experiences for its students. The campus is small, but beautiful. Old Main lawn is a place where many like to have picnics, study under trees, or play ultimate frisbee. The smaller campus provides smaller class sizes which I found to be very nice and helpful when wanting to get a more intimate education. It also helps that your longest walk to class is only around ten minutes. The school is very diverse with students from not just all over the country, but all over the world. The community is very welcoming and the staff and students are very kind. There is much to learn from all of the different voices the campus includes. The food can be questionable at times, but the cereal bar and desserts never fail. Overall, I'd say I like Knox College quite a bit, and believe it is worth the sweating in the air conditioning-less dorms.

Brenda

Despite only being a first year I have already started to form close bonds with professors. Everyone is so nice and helpful that it took me no time to feel right at home. They work hard to provide a healthy balance of academics and entertainment. I've gone to a concert and an improv show that were out of this world!

A

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiryrgrhrhhfhfhfhfjfjfjjfjjririririurrhrhdhhdhdhdhdhhdhdhhdhdhdhhdhhdhdhhdhdhhdhdjdjdjjdjdjdjjdjdjdjjdhdhdhdhdhdhrbrvryfjnrdhjdjfbdhjcbrdhchbdhcjndbxhcjdhchdhjdhdhdjdjnfhdudhjdhdhdhdhddhdhdhdhdhdhfhdhdhdhdhdhdhdhdhdhdndbcuebehdjsisjndnd

Carmen

I love it here. Students are very accepting of all and engaged in community. They all work hard to be good students and give back to their community at large. Everyone is very welcoming. The cafeteria is very accommodating to all dietary needs with a variety of options for different lifestyles. If you are looking for a school to expand your horizons and world experience but not a lot of partying, Knox is the place for you. Don't get me wrong, we know how to have fun, it's just not all we focus on.

Sam

Thoroughly enjoyed my time here. Would choose Knox again if I could go back as a high school senior.

Natalie

I love it here! I feel like I've found my home on campus. The quality of education is amazing and I can't imagine spending my undergrad years anywhere else. My professors are always available and willing to offer help outside of class and I've never felt like I couldn't reach out to them. The small class sizes help get students on a first name basis with professors and everything is very discussion based. This is a place where student opinions are valued.

Caroline

Knox has its flaws just like any college or university, but the pros outweigh the cons tenfold. In my personal opinion, Knox's largest fault is its housing. In the upper-class resident halls, especially in the Quads, I have experienced urinals and showers that won't work and make the bathrooms smell like sewage. This is the part of the college that does not justify the nearly $58,000 yearly price tag. All that aside, Knox's academics are intense, especially since each term is only ten weeks long. I feel constantly challenged by the workload in each class, which isn't a bad thing! If I feel complacent in my studies, it means I'm not learning what I need to!

Knox College is small liberal arts school in rural Illinois. The small class sizes, imitate relationships with the professors and endless resources really make it a good school. You have to take advantage of all the opportunities that it has to offer. Once you do, you will grow to love Knox, even with its rural background, in which I imagine would get a bit boring after four years.

Lily

It’s a good place but definitely an acquired taste! It’s a very political place not full Oberlin but not apathetic by any means. Professors are nice, good people. I enjoy my peers. They have decent food. The weather in Illinois is odd but I don’t hate it.

Angel

In the few months, I've spent at Knox as a freshman, I've learned that the reality of my first college experience far exceeded my expectations. Every class is incredibly engaging and provides opportunities for lively discussions. The student body is friendly and looks out for one another, and since everyone lives in a suite-like dorm, it's hard to be without friends. Overall, I can just say that I am excited to continue my studies at Knox and welcome what it may bring.

Leah

I look back at my time at Knox College and I truly believe that I would not change anything about my college experience. Knox offers its students something unique: the chance to be around people with extremely diverse backgrounds while getting an amazing education. The small class sizes allow students to truly get to know their peers and professors. Additionally, professors deeply care about the success of their students. I have met so many wonderful people at Knox College that have truly become lifelong friends. I could not imagine myself attending any other college. Knox has altered who I am in the best possible way.

Theresa

Knox College has a comfortable atmosphere. Though the academics are challenging, there is always time for students to join a club, sport, music group, or to volunteer. The professors are excellent, and care about the students' progress in their classes. Though the surrounding Galesburg community is small, there are lots of small shops and restaurants to explore.

Amalia

The trimester program might not be a great fit for all students, but it really helped me. Only having to focus on and worry about 3 classes at a time was a huge help. Also, the Center for Teaching and Learning will work with students to help them cope with any issues that are affecting your academics, including learning and physical disabilities, mental and physical health problems, and personal crises. Everyone on campus has really varied interests, so there's a ton of overlap between departments and student groups. There is still an issue with cliques (looking at you, theater department >.>), but for the most part there's a sense of diversity and openness. Knox is on a train line to Chicago, so it's easy and affordable to get to and from school. There are, like at all schools, issues with the administration being out of touch with the students. However the faculty and other staff are very receptive and kind.

Olivia

Knox College is a great place to make personal discoveries, meet new people, and take on different challenges. Being yourself if important and appreciating diversity is the most productive thing you can do for the community. The professors keep class interactive. Although the dorms aren't luxurious, campus life does a great job with reaching out and making sure each suite feels safe and comfortable. The food isn't the best, but you won't go hungry. The people who work in dining services interact often with the community to ensure engagement and a sense of belonging. Health services are very active and make sure each student and faculty/staff member are doing well. Knox provides a ton of resources. There are a wide variety of activities you can participate in as well as internship and job opportunities. The campus itself is beautiful. Overall, Knox College is a quirky, fun, motivated, and accepting family.

Vuxx

Overall, I like Knox College because of the people in it more than the facilities. People here are extremely hospitable and friendly; the professors are easily accessible: they are always open to students' questions, and the people around the town are nice too.

Mariam

Knox College has been a monumental experience for me - there is always something to talk about, something to pursue. You have to really get out here and challenge yourself and be involved. Everyone works with you in some capacity and people make sure that it is a worthy experience for you.

Seth

It’s a great place to be and you always see a friendly face. If you like a homey feeling then this is the college for you.

Jonathan

Knox college is a diverse college that allows students to learn more about other cultures, and has a great academic environment. The professors want to see you do well as both a student and as a person. There is a lot of room to grow here both intellectually and socially.

Sophia

I love Knox. There are certain things that do both me a bit about the school, but I do not regret my decision to come here at all. The biggest problem that Knox has is probably its small size when it comes to certain social situations and its lack of outreach into the Galesburg community. However, the small size also allows for wonderful relationships with professors and other students. Knox has such a genuine, loving community of students, staff, and professors that really pushes you to get out of your comfort zone but constantly provides you with support. I love this school.

Sanjana

I was so glad I chose Knox College and i'd choose it all over again. The small class sizes have always been exceptional and I love the diverse campus here! The professors always take time to spend on any difficulties we might have and actually have great office hours.