La Salle University

« See more reviews of La Salle University

There are three pieces of advice that I would offer to parents or students about finding the right college. Some of the most important factors that can influence someones decision is their ability to pay for the institution that they would like to attend, its location relative to the student's home, and the programs and activities that the college has to offer. If a student would like to complete the program at any given institution, they should have the means to pay for it. Colleges are extremely expensive and being able to pay for tuition, room and board, and books and other expenses should be considered before accepting the offer to the school. Otherwise, there is the danger that they will not be able to pay for it later on down the line. If the student would like to come home during school breaks or even more frequently, they should be sure to have convenient transportation home. Schools that are not in big cities are harder to travel back and forth to. Finally, the student should consider programs that the school offers for career placement and clubs and organizations. Involvemnt in organizations will definitely impact the students social experience.

Greg, Jump in the air, click your heels, make a few strange and unusual noises loudly enough to entertain those around you, and then pat yourself on the back. The first three directives will help instill in you a habit sure to keep your spirits and energy bright throughout college. The last instructive congratulates yourself on your success in high school and your fabulous choice on La Salle University as the next step in your education. Your emersion into the college experience will be supplemented with a great social life, a roommate that teaches you how to play guitar, a few great friends, forbes magazine, and a host of major switches and opportunities to meet alumni who have all conquered the world. Don?t worry, your study habits will not dwindle; although you are going to earn your first C in history class. Don't tell anyone, but you will get an A with that same professor next semester. It really was your lack of ability all along. -Your future PS. Your optimistic attitude and go-free happiness will become a disease on campus afflicting those around you. Start practicing now, your family will appreciate it as well.

When it comes to studying, study effectively. Plan ahead. Have and use a calendar to plan your days for the semester. You had better manage your time. Read and chart your syllabus. Look ahead. Academics are first, extracurricular activities are a close second. Make sure that you get involved in extracurricular activities. Do not overextend yourself. If you join a group that needs you and your skills, you will feel a sense of almost guilty commitment if you cannot give 100%. So choose wisely. Make friends. Have fun. Play hard, but play smart. Enjoy the new friendships you make. Always carry a phone and have at least ten subway tokens in your drawer. (This means always be prepared to take a little trip to enjoy the surrounding area/city). Do not worry about leaving home. Frequent contact with the family via calls and texting reduces the homesickness. Finally, there will be parties with illegal drinking, accept that. If you do not wish to be a part of that, simply say no. It is okay to be strong, but you do not have to be annoying. Help roommates in their time of need and encourage them to watch their drinking habits.

First, parents and students should discuss the student's interests. Also, taking time to identify the strengths and weaknesses of the student will help determine the student's calibur and be able to translate that to the level of difficulty a prospective school may offer. Second, parents and students should identify the major and minors of interests. Within this conversation, students should tell parents about the possibilities of adding a major or minor. After this, they should search for schools that offer any combination of interests. Third, they should take time to find schools that have organizations they are intereseted in. Any school with an organization you may want to join is a bonus. If a school doesn't offer the organization you want but has your majors, then that student should create an organization to fit their needs. Last, when the student arrives at school it should be known that the opportunities to have a fulfilling college life is available, but it is up to the student to take advantage of them. If they don't take advantage of them, it is the student's fault and not the University's.

The first step to finding the right college would be to identify what your interests are academically and socially. Make a list of things that you want your "dream" college to have (ex. a gym, greek life, small size classes, etc.). Start your college search by going online, meeting with your guidance counselor, and/or going to the informational meetings that colleges hold at high schools. Keep in mind of what you really want in a college. Don't rely on your family and friends to decide a college for you, because in the end it is your choice completely. Students should apply to 5 colleges and should also try to go on many college visits, because sometimes a school is more appealing on paper than in person ( and vice-versa). When it comes to making the most out of the college experience, I will put it simply: never waste a day. College can get lonely without the comforts of home, so be sure to make friends whom you can trust. Stay focused by balancing leisure and academics. And please get involved. These days it just isn't quite enough to have straight A's, you need to have experience.

Although i've just started my college experience and it has been tremendous thus far. I completely appreciate this opportunity alot more now that i am older versus when i could have gone at the age of 17. I graduated high school not knowing what i wanted to do with my life. I've worked endless dead end jobs over the course of my break and all that helped me do was find my road. Reality was that my parents could never afford to finance my education and i was the one that had to figure it out for myself. After extensive research, of all the music schools i could have requested information from across the world, i finally found the one for me. The Arts Institute is an excellent facility for anyone considering taking control of their lives, knowing what direction they wanted to go and getting the resources and tools they would need to be successful at their given field. People here, both faculty and classmates, all stress an urgency to succeed and do anything in their power to help you reach that goal. I feel at home because i am constantly being surrounded by like-minded individuals.

If I were to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would say "your two best options are, one, join the military right after high school, get an education for free, get commissioned as an officer and have a fulfilling career at the same time. Option 2, would be to go to a University, enroll in the Reserve Officers Training, enjoy the four years of college and training to become a military officer. Once your four years is completed, you can get commissioned and you are guarenteed a fulfilling military career. Which ever road you choose, military life is unbeatable. Your medical care is taken care of, you are given money for housing and food. You will get to travel the world with no out of pocket expense. You will get to do and see things not commomly found in the civilian work place. At the same time you will have the pride of knowing that you are working for and defending your country! After you fulfill tewnty years of military dedication, you are able to retire. Civilians usually dont get to retire at the age of 38. Get an education! And join the Military!!"

It is tough to provide brief advice to parents and/or students going through the process of finding the right college, because every person is unique, as is each school. Starting early in the college search and application process alleviates stress, since the whole process can be difficult, especially during a time when students' high school careers begin to wind down. Make lists of what schools have the academic and other activites you want to be a part of and make sure to visit as many of them as possible! If you are unsure of what you want to major in (as many students entering college are), don't freak out! Get involved somehow throughout your college experience (whether it be sports, a job, club, etc). This will introduce you to new people, experiences, and open up doors and possiblities for the future. Try to get the balance of school and social life down within the first semester. It will make things easier in the long run. Most of all, have fun and be yourself! This could be one of the best times of your life, but it is all up to you and what you make of it!

Dear darneshia 2011 How are you these days? It has been so long since the last time we spoke I wanted to check up on you senior year. I know this last year of high school can truly be a stressful one .With having to focus on your regular daily activities. Along with the preparation that goes into your prom, graduation, and getting into college. But trust me “Life’s today’s are here to prepare for its tomorrow”. With that stated if I could give you any advice on your future college life. I would say stay focus, plan ahead and be organized. Those three key aspects will assist you with your college life more than any may realize. They will keep you on task when it comes to keeping your important deadlines and the finding out/ using of all beneficial information needed for college that you may have not been made aware ( such as the importance of knowing about the credits you need, along with the role MONEY will play in the next 4 years). Lastly and maybe the most important have a plan and stay hungry to stick to the plan and achieve it. Love Darneshia 2012

I would tell parents and students to research the school that have the study you are interested in. After researching those colleges narrow them down to about 5-10 colleges that by figureing out if you want to live on campus, what kind of setting you like for example city, rural, suburb. Then visit those colleges to see if you like the food because that is a big deciding facotr since you will be eatting there for the next four years of your life, then close off campus food areas when you get tired of campus food, what the dorm rooms look like, how big the college campus is, the average class size, and possibly the sport you to play if you are interested. After that students should sit down and talk to their parents about the financial situation and what kind of route they are taking whether its loans, or they are paying for it out of poket. Then once you recieve the acceptance letters from your schools see which school gives you a bigger financial aid package and fits all your criteria for "school that is for you" and then you the college of your dreams.