La Salle University

« See more reviews of La Salle University

I would start by researching schools based on whatever it is the prospective student wants, or on what he/she does not want. Search for open house days and go for a tour. Do this for as many schools as possible. Start the application process early and brainstorm for a great essay. Once the student has been accepted choose the top three. Weigh the pros and cons of each school. Choose from there. To make the most of ones college experience he/she must be social. Do not be afraid to talk to people. Everyone is in the same situation. Have an open mind. College is a diverse group of people. People who are not afraid to speak their minds and have different opinions from one's own. Do not be offended, just roll with it. He/she should not lose his/her morals and values, though. Stick up for what you believe in. Lastly, do not let college pass by. Academics and good grades get one far in this world and it is important to not let that slip away. College is what will help with a successful career, build longlasting friendships and cement one's values.

Dear Self, As improbable as this sounds? it?s you, from the future! Here?s some advice about the year ahead. You?re going to learn so many things, and a great many lessons will occur outside the classroom ? so pay attention. You?ll see that despite what the girls said, you won?t be friends forever. And despite what your teachers told you, you won?t lose your faith in college. (No surprise there, right?) But don?t dwell on the negative, since there are so many good things ahead. The rest of senior year is going to fly by and you are going to make so many great memories. In college, you?ll be inspired from some of your professors to become an even better teacher. And you?ll meet the man of your dreams who is also your best friend. (By the way, we have great taste!) In all seriousness, if you take one thing from this, let it be the following ? you can?t plan everything all the time? so embrace your hidden spontaneous side! PS: Remember when mom told you that God just laughs when we make plans? Well, I?m pretty sure he does.

The advice that I would give to parents is to make sure that they research every detail into the colleges and don't just except what they say without looking into it. They should also listen to what there child wants to do and come to a decision where they can both compromise. Maybe there child likes the city and the parent would rather there child go to a school in the suburbs or an area where it is more secluded. The parents have to respect there child's wishes but at the same time they need to explain to there child why they would rather them in a specific area. Also for the parents exhaust every option financially with scholarships, grants and any other funding that they can get and don't wait until the last minute to do it because it might be to late. They have to allow there child to enjoy this experience because going to college isn't easy but should also be a learning and fun time for the student. The student needs to understand that college is fun but don't let the fun over crowd school work which is important. Do well!

As an Orthodox Jew who had no exposure to other cultures, college enabled me to open myself up to questions and lines of inquiry I could have otherwise never encountered. As a college student I have been able to explore the spectrum of activities and academic pursuits that interest me in order to discover what I am truly passionate about. Having such a diverse range of people, interestes, activites, backgrounds, and cultures at my disposal forced me to investigate, question, and ultimately learn so much about myself. At the end of the day, college is about uncovering and strengethening student passion. Students can come in with a fair sense of their strengths or weaknesses, but without a larger idea of what their role in the world should be, or what they want it to be. My college experience allowed me to see my passion for creating deep and open dialogue among groups with historically bad relationships, and this realization, along with the oppurtunities available to pursue such dialogue, has been invaluable.

If I could go back in time, I could imagine giving myself 5 points of advice: 1. Do not put all of your attention into your boyfriend. Focus on making new friendships, because in the long run that is what will become most important. 2. Don't skip classes! No matter how tempting it may be to skip classes, DON'T! It is not worth losing points and especially not worth losing money. You're paying for your education, not the extra hour of sleep. 3. Join as many clubs as possible. The easiest way to make those everlasting college friends is to find people with the same interests as you. No matter how dorky the club may sound, if it interests you, join it! 4. Do not feel defeated if you have to change your major. You're only 18 years old, how are you supposed to know what you want to do for the rest of your life. 5. And finally, DO NOT buy Netflix. It is too much of a distraction. If I could go back and tell myself these 5 simple facts, I'm certain that my first year of college would have gone much smoother.

If I could go back in time, I would give myself the following advice. I would take college seriously and learn all that my professors and the experience offered to me. I would tell a student to set aside time to study, to go to class, and to have some fun, whether it is on or off campus. I would take advantage of my professors advice and wisdom that they bring. I would get a decent night's sleep so that I was alert for all of my classes and eat well for the same reason. I would tell a student that while grades are important, it is more important to learn. I would organize my life and make a schedule so that my learning was a priority. These opportunities do not come often in life so I would learn as much as I can in those short years. I would try to limit my outside responsibilities as much as possible so that my education is the number one priority in my life and try to enlist the help of family and friends to help me with this. This is a golden time in life; enjoy it!

If I had the chance to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that I wasn’t as grown as I thought I was, and there was still a lot I had to learn. After graduating college and putting four years of work and college loans into my education, I realized that I chose something I was comfortable with at the time, but not that I wanted to spend a lifetime doing. Now I’m going back to school for nursing, which is not only flexible and rewarding, but there’s room to advance. I think it’s important to choose something in which you will always be able to work your way up so that you never feel “stuck”. The advice I would give is to research different jobs and talking to some people in the same line of work to hear both the positive and negatives, and if it’s something you could see yourself doing. Also, I think it’s important to plan what you would be doing after college, because many times a person graduates with a degree which there is no demand for.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to save up more money. The biggest suprise that I had was that I really was broke once I got to college. Before I went, I just assumed I would have time to find a steady job and then keep it, but after ariving at college that was not a real option. La Salle, the University I go to, has no real job opportunities. I can get the odd job on campus, but that doesn't make nearly enough money. Another thing I would tell myself would be because I don't party, I will need to find other ways to make friends. It is really important to sign up for clubs because it's hard to make friends in the classrooms like I did in high school. My first year of college, I ended up sitting in my room watching lots of movies on my laptop. This year, I'm hardly in my room with all of the activities I've joined. The final thing I would tell myself is not to be afraid to try new things. That's what college is all about.

Picking you college can be a very stressful and confusing time for both students and parents. There are so many options out there it almost feels impossible to pick only one. But when you visit colleges, there is a certain one that just gives you a certain feeling. A feeling that makes you feel home and welcome. When picking your college I would advise students and parents to measure it out to every last aspect, since you will be spending four years of your life there you want it to be the right one. I would tell students to pick where they would like to go, no one else. Do not let anyone tell you what to do, you will be the one attending that school and no one else. College will not be a happy place for you if it is not what you were looking for. Get involved and do not be afarid of change, this is your time to shine. Have fun and stay happy, keep your head up and your goals straight on target and work hard, it will be worth it.

In finding the right colege I believe that it is important to visit the college to see the school's surroundings. I also would suggest to apply for a school that is highly rank in what ever field an applicant is appyng for. In addition, I suggest reviewing the requirements of the school as well as the standards of the school sush as GPA, the gradutaion rate, diversity, etc is important. Finding the right school also invovles making sure the school is affordable and to look into financing options. Appling for FASFA is important so that the applicant is able to receive as much financial aid as possible. Paying attention to deadlines is important such as FASFA and application deadlines. Joining activites and interacting with others is also an important tool in school. Lastly, interacting with teachers is also important as well as asking questions because they are there to help throughout the college experience.