La Salle University

« See more reviews of La Salle University

Student, you need to make sure that you are going to college because you want to go. Dont make a life changing decision like this based on what someone else thinks that you should do. If you do, you are going to be unhappy and you will not do as well as you possibly could. And apply to as many schools as possible that interest you asnd have your marjor, do not limit yourself when selecting schools. Also, do not get discouarged when apply for college, never think that you will not get into a school because the criteria reads tsomething and you dont exactly fall into all those categories. There are exceptions to every rule, and a lot of schools do whatever they can to help you if they think that you will work hard. Try and visit the schools that you are applying to, and make sure that you learn as much about the school as possible and the opportunites that will be available to you,

If I could talk to my past high school senior self, I would have so many things to tell myself to prepare for. The conversation would probably go something like this: 1. Getting an education is important to us, and without any scholarships, we probably would not be able to achieve the full education that we want. Scholarships are not a joke, and should not be put on hold, or you may end up filling them out all through your college life, like you are doing right now. 2. Never give up on want you want to be. The classes are stressful, and they make you question the career path that you have chosen. Stay true to yourself, and use all the resources that La Salle gives you, so that you can continue to pass your classes and achieve your career path. 3. You are extremely smart with the people that you allow in your life. Keep it that way, because good people bring good vibes.

I believe finding the right college has to do with how the student feels when he or she visits the college prior to applying. I've found that most of the time students just feel right when they visit a certain college and just know that the school is right for them. Size and location of the college or university plays a huge role in deciding which school is best. Sometimes seeing students who already attend the school also can influence whether or not the college seems right. In order to get the most out of the college experience, one must have an open mind and be willing to try new things and talk to people him or her normally would not associate him or her selves with. College helps one realize a lot about oneself and could be one of the most rewarding experiences. Never be judgmental because you never know when you?ll find something new you might enjoy.

Out of everything that I have learned in college I find that the most important lessons is to work hard, take care of yourself, and to be grateful for the opportunity to be in school. There are millions of people ut there who cannot afford a college education and I am one fo the few who are. I am lucky enough to have a father who works 14 hour days to pay for my education but there are plenty of people who do not. My father never went to college so I feel that it is my duty to work hard and make him proud. Having a hard work ethic has also helped me to achieve better grades and I have learned that at the end of the day it is up to me achieve what I want. I have also learned to take care of myself because no one else will. My mother is no longer here to check up on me or keep me up on my work so I have to responisble enough to do it all on my own.

I would advise other high school students to not attempt to stereotype the student body of a college after one visit. There are many different types of people at every college, and there is always a group of people you will be able to become friends with. Some schools do have a more welcoming and friendly social atmosphere though, and that is what students should look for. It is also important to ask about student life on the weekends. Is the school a ?back-pack college?? Also, make sure that the school is an appropriate distance away from home for you. Make sure you would feel comfortable traveling that distance every time you want to go home. Most importantly, make sure that the school is offering classes that you feel you would be interested in and that the classes sizes would create the best learning environment for you.

A major piece of advice I would give myself if I were to go back in time would be finding out that I had enough money for whatever school I went to before making a definite decision. I had my heart set on this school since the day I went for my first visit; I loved the campus and I loved the track coach. Because of this I wouldn't settle for anything different and I should have kept my options open instead of saying "I'm going here!." That was my big mistake. I would also tell myself to get more prepared for being on my own because at first it can be kind of hard; free reign of whatever I want to do can be bad. I went out more than I should have. Overall I would just tell myself to follow my heart but to make the best decision for me and my family because the cost of the school also puts a hardship on my family.

First of all, just breathe. Yes, this is a major step in your life, but I know you can handle it. Secondly, go with what you really want. Yes, I know that sounds simple, but believe me, it is the best advice I can give to you. What I mean is, if you have to take out extra loans just to go to that "reach" school, it will definately be worth your happiness. Do not settle for "just okay." If you go for your dreams, no amount of money should have to hold you back. As for adjusting to life once you are at a college, just be yourself. Again, it sounds simple, but it really makes all the difference. If you are relaxing and staying true to yourself, then all the rest will fall into place. You will have fun and make new friends, and it will just come naturally. Stay strong, self. I know you can do it.

If I could go back in time as a highschool senior I would tell myself the make sure that I am always on time with any type of obligations that I might have. I would make it a point to tell myself to actually utilize those weekly planners to thier extent, and I would tell myself to work hard, but to still have fun and be social. I would remind myself how important it is to be involved with extra curicular activities and to allow myself to experience as much as I can for the freshman year so that years to come will be easier. Lastly the most important thing I would tell myself is to never be afraid of what I can accomplish, and to always aim high and set high goals. A wise man once said the problem with people today is not that they set high goals and miss, but they aim too low and hit.

Knowing what I know now about college life, I would have handled high school very differently. I would have payed attention more and tried to apply myself. I did not do bad in high school but I feel as if I did not push myself as much as I should have. I played around and took the things that I was being taught for granted. For example, in high school I thought that Biology was very boring so I did not pay much attention. I payed for it once I came to college and took Microbiology. I had a very difficult time grasping the material because I did not understnad the basics of biology due to my lack of care for biology in high school. I did not do very bad in microbiology, but I know I could have done better if I had payd attention to the things I was taught in my highschool biology class.

In my opinion, students and parents should look for a college that they will be able to afford because todays economy is not at its best. Over fifty percent of students from the Philadelphia area have had to leave the school they were attending because of the lack of financial aid. You don't want to put yourself in that situation but at the same time you don't want to graduate having to pay a school loan that's going to put you in massive debt. Attend a school where you want to make friends and have fun. Also, get involved with your school it helps you meet new people and you will become friends with people you never expected yourself too. Going away to college is a great experience that happens once in your life and if you have the oppurtunity I highly recommend to take it.