La Salle University

« See more reviews of La Salle University

When you visit schools, whichever school you immediately feel most at home, and most comfortable at is most likely to be the school for you. Get involved and try to become good friends with the people in your major because they will be the people who will pull you through the next four years, especially knowing that you are all in this together. Find a balance between schoolwork and going out because once you find that balance you will be able to have both a high gpa, and have an amazing time with your friends and make memories that you will never forget.

I would tell my self to destress more. I thought every little thing in college was important. I had fun, I met the love of my life, and I had amazing experiences, but in the end I was stressed out a lot. Being involved, having good grades, traveling, and being social are all important, but you need to understand what you have control over. Other people, especially administration and adults will do things that will upset, just relax and understand that you can only do so much. Enjoy the flexible schedule, go outside during nice weather, and have fun.

I would have told myself to not take the AP classes I took in high school and just have stayed in honors to raise my GPA. Also, I probably would have told myself to actually start trying to study because in college you really need to know how to study. For the AP class thing and GPA, it would have opened me up to more scholarship opportunities that could help me pay for college in the future. That is about the only thing that I would have changed, everything else at college is good and I enjoy it.

Make sure the college feels right. If it doesn't feel like home the first time you visit, it isn't the one. There is a college out there for everyone that wants to find one. Keep looking until you find yours. Once you get there, be yourself and make friends that like you for you. It's not high school where you think its important to be friends with everyone. Most people only have 2-3 very close college friends, and that's okay. The most important thing is that those friends like you for you.

Try to figure out what you want to do after college. Then pick a college based on what you want to do. Don't just pick a college because thats where everyone goes or the fact that it's a good party school. I picked nursing so looked at colleges that were known for nursing. But with some of those colleges that I applied to, acceptance into the nursing school wasn't guaranteed. This really narrowed my options. Luckily, for me, it all worked out and I'm happy where I am.

Do not simply go over the material only while in class, outside class work is very important in understanding the material. Also even with the government's help attempting to fund your education on your own is a tantalizing task that is going to take consistency and dedication. You can't be afraid to ask for help, no matter how it makes you look, in the end you will be much more satisfied because your connections can make things move a little more smoothly.

College is very different from high school. Moving away, meeting new people, and becoming more independent is a big change. Once you get to school it is important to go out and meet as many people as you can because unlike high school, you will not know everyone there. Also getting involved with activities on campus is very important. This is where most of your friends will come from. It is an awesome way to get connected with your college.

Just try to find a school that you feel comfortable at, you are going to be living there for four years you need to be able to picture the next four years of your life at that school, otherwise it isn't the school for you. Being in college isn't all about academics, you cant spend all your time studying and doing school work although it should be a high priority! Get out and do things too!

At this point, the parents and students alike are probably overwhelmed with advice on how to go about choosing the right college. My guidance is to ignore it all. It's important to choose a school based on your own stipulations, as too many find out the hard way. College can be a much more satisfying experience knowing that you chose where you spent the most important years of your life.

I would encourage myself to open up more and not be so shy. I would join more clubs, maybe a sorority. I would tell myself to explore all that La Salle has to offer and take advantage of all of the great things available. I would tell myself to not be afraid and that I will be successful in everything that I do and I would enourage myself to try my best and just have fun!