La Sierra University

« See more reviews of La Sierra University

If I could go back and give myself advice, it would be to slow down and enjoy life. Things only move at a faster pace as you grow older and the responsibility that you think you want is often more than you realize. Take things in stride, don't take yourself or other things too seriously. Having a positive outlook can make our break your day and don't forget to look at things from an outside or different perspective. Don't get so focused on things that you miss what is truly important. Remember, personal reward isn't always tangible in the physical sense and it is often the unquantifiable rewards that are the greatest. Oh and start saving and giving to charity now (10-20% of your pay to each), it creates a good habit that will increase your financial stability greatly. Most importantly, don't forget who you are or where you came from. You have been through a lot to get to where you are so don't take it for granted.

If I could go back to my senior year and give myself advice I would definitely tell myself to build a stronger habit of studying. First of all finishing all of my homework for the next day and, if possible, starting on homework or projects that will be due later on. After, at least taking two hours to review and study the notes taken that day for each class. Also, always reading the chapter for the next class beforehand, to be prepared for discussion or lecture. Finally, another important piece of advice would be to build the habit of reading. These are three major points of advice that I see are very critical in the continuation to higher education. I see it very important to start these habits before college so that the transition will not be too abrupt. College is about being dedicated and giving priority to what is important, and it is always good to be on top of things rather than procrastinating.

Parents and Students should first sit down together and decide what the student would want to major in and if they would like a campus around your area or out of state. Once you have decided on your major you can look up schools that have your major and find out more details about the school. You might want to find out if that school has a great program that can help earn your desired major. Once you have found your school, the next thing to do is to go and visit the campus. It is good to get a feel of the school and to find out if you can see yourself attending that school on a regular basis. Just have an open mind towards what the school has to offer and you will survive. Most people are anxious and worried about attending college, but once you have completed the first week of school, you will be used to the environment. Next thing you know, you will be wishing it was summer already.

Being in college has been the best experience of my life so far. I have people from all over the world, China, Brazil, Mexico, and many more. I have learned to be more independent and to always believe in myself from now on. I have learned time management; I am a full time student, I play for the softball team, and I work. While doing all of that with school, I still find out to hang out with my family and friends. Without the love and care from my family and friends, I would not be who I am today. It is valuable to attend college because this is the time to learn from my mistakes to help me with my future. I love that I am on a mission with other people who I can relate with in school. School is a place where you can truly expression who you are and what you stand for. Here you are treated with a great amount of respect and I am free to be who I am. Everyone should go to college!

I would tell myself to work harder on my essays and research papers. I do not believe high school prepares you fully for that, I even went to a pre school and I still was not prepared for the types of papers I was going to be writing in college. I would also remind myself not to worry as much, though college is not like high school, it is not something to be scared of. People have gone through college many times, also there will be people there to help you. However, my brother and I are the first to go to college in our family, so it was a new experience for us all. The last advice I would tell myself is to be prepared for all the opprotunities that one could get. There is so much one can do in college, like traveling abroad for example. Be prepared to live your life to the fullest, save your money, have fun, and learn about many different cultures, religions, and people.

If I was able to go back into time and talk to myself as a senior I would tell myself to go to Sanford Brown to complete their Veterinary Assisting Program because after high scholl I knew what I wanted to be but I just didn't know of any schools that offer any program for veterinary assisting or technician. So I had spent a semester looking for a college then another semester in community college. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with community college but I feel that I had wasted time to find at great school. I would also tell myself to make sure that I study had and keep up the great work I am doing. Other than that I wouldn't change anything that happened to me. I have learned from my mistakes and problem I had and I am now working hard to finish this program. With that I am proud of what I have done even if it took me longer to do it.

If I could talk to Zaida, the high school senior, I would tell her to enjoy all the "bad moments". College is not always a fun, relaxing and happy place. It can sometimes make you get stressed and drepressed because it drives you to new limits you didn't know you could reach. It makes you feel uncomfortable at times because it pushes you out of your comfort zone. However, after all those bad moments are in the past, life is pretty amazing. You'll start to appreciate all the awkward and stressful situations college life put you through. I would tell her to just breathe and allow college life to help shape the person she is. The transition wasn't smooth, but it was worth it and I don't regret anything college has done to me; it has made me grow so much and I know that's something high school senior, Zaida, would appreciate hearing.

I would tell myself that college is not something to be afraid of. When I was a senior, I was so afraid of coming to a new school, a new city, and a new community where I wouldn't know anyone. I have lived in one city my entire life and moving out of my house was an intimidating and scary experience for me. But I have come to the realization that I am not alone in how I think. I realized that every freshmen coming to this school is going through the same experience as I am. After I have realized this, I told myself that I am going to try my best to immerse myself in my school's many different activities so that I can make new friends and create a community within my school that I am comfortable with. This has been the biggest lesson that I could have learned from my first couple of months in college.

Knowing what I know now, apply early. Take your SATs the first test date. Do not wait until the last minute because you will miss out on deadlines and possibly not go to the school you of your choosing. Once you are accepted and choose to go to the school you want, research the majors before deciding that what you want to do. Know what you are getting yourself into because college is quick and expensive. Make it worthwhile. Once you start school, don't be afraid. You will find friends almost instantly because all freshman are in the same boat as you. Be friendly. Also college is really different from highschool. No one is going to tell you what to do or when to do it. Be organized and take charge of what you have to do. Be responsible and you will be happy with the results.

Hello younger me! First things first, study a lot more! Get in the habit of studying for longer periods of time and not just "looking for the answer to homework or test questions", but actually learn, read, soak it in. For each hour of class time, you're supposed to spend 2 hours of studying. Create good habits, especially good eating ones! You do not want to gain the freshman 15! Learn to have a daily workout schedule because it not only makes you look good, but feel revitalized and refreshed. Socialize! College will be a very social period of your lifetime as you have to not only make friends that will help you through classes and activities, but to make long lasting relationships. Humble yourself because you, yourself, & I won't get you through college.