La Sierra University

« See more reviews of La Sierra University

Going to college has been the best thing i have ever done in my life. I would have already had at least two degree's by now, but i hit a little detour. I joined the Army and did that for 8 years, so that is why i am still in school at my age. College has shown me how people can help on another at any age, and how it is like a community within a community. I am not only gaining the knowledge that will help me in my career, but i gaining valuable friendships that will last a life time. It also helps that the people responsible for teaching me are some of the brightest and caring people. College has given me the tools to be really successful when i finally start working as a nurse, but more than that it has taught me how to really care for people.

The advice that I would give to parents and students would be to take the time to reserach and visist colleges that you are interested in. There are so many colleges that offer a lot of great things and so it is important to do reserach so that the family and student can find a school thata has what they are interested in. I also believe that it is important for the student to decide where they want to go rather than depending on their friends or relatives. I would also tell the student to not hesitate to travel and attend a school that is in another area than they are use to. I believe that diverstiy is a beautiful thing and college gives students the opporunity to come in contact with other cultures and ethnic groups.

Going into college is a whole new world. It is when the student is not only entering a new level of school but is entering a world of being an adult and finding themselves. My advice is this. Find a school that captures your heart. Find a school that gives a feeling of welcoming and that inspires you to break out of boundries. Do not be afraid of expressing who you are, it is what allows you to make your mark in history. Allow yourself to be true to who you are. There is not much I can really say about making the most of a college experience, but that it is simply up to the student. The decisions you make in school will reflect how far you want to get in life and what you really strive for.

I would tell myself to go to withdraw my application from the University I attended after graduation and spend a year or two at my local community college. I learned that the quality of college experience and education relies more on the student's effort than the school in so many ways and that community college better prepares most students for the extra challenges of 4 year Universities. While many people may look down on community colleges, the education I received from my professors, classmates, and co workers in my time there has drastically changed my goals, my ethics, my ability to perform well at a higher level of education, and myself as a person. I wish I had realized this sooner.

I have met some really nice people. I have learn more about my future career as a chiropractor. Its been a value to me because instead of staying at home doing nothing I was doing something to make sure I have a better future. I haven't got much out of my college experience so far cause I've only been there for two quarters but I am sure the longer I attend the more I will get. I am already thinking about doing some social work later on and am sure I will do more work as I spend more time in college. From my college experience so far I have realize that I want to do something to make the world a better place and I probably will learn how to change the world the more I stay in school.

If i could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, i would give myself a lot of advice. I would tell myself that college is very different than high school. That the teachers aren't behind you making sure you have done our work. That eveything is left to you to complete. I would say to myself that college is fun, and it is very easy to be distracted. I would also tell myself to make sure that I go to all my classes, and that I can't be missing as much as I did in high school. If i could go back in time to give myself advice as a high school senior, Would give myself a whole lot of different advice, but what i would say is the most important is not to procrastinate.

When it comes to looking for a college to attend, be sure to consider the fact that the student will be spending the next four years of his/her life there. Expense is not something to neglect, therefore situating the financial aid and family contribution will be enough to cover tuition as well as supporting the student during the academic year. You must not forget the programs reputation. For whichever major the student picks, look at the success rate during the course and after graduation (for job placement purposes). Ensure that the student and the parents are happy with the choices made, thus leading to a great outlook on the students college career.

If I could go back knowing what college life is like, I would encourage myself to attend a Community College. I always feared going to a community college because everyone I knew that attended one was not going any where with their educational career. I also had heard that it was very difficult to transfer out and that was someting I really feared. But now, I would tell myself to attend a community college to save money. However, I would focus on getting my work done and talking to my advisor to ensure I stay on task inorder to transfer to a Cal State. By doing so, I believe I would have saved myself the financial stressors my family and I now have.

I believe with the education I have recieved I can "hit the floor running". The college is very hands on experience and I enjoyed the courses, and since every course taught a different subject I was able to recieve information of all the aspects of the Criminal Justice Major. I believe that every day I learned something new, and the instructors where willing to go over the same subject to make sure that I understood, even if that meant staying a little after class was over. I believe I found my passion in Forensics after taking the course than whati originally went to school for, probation, because of the experience I recieved from that course.

At the beginning of every semester I began a new day in a new classroom with new people. I believe that my ability to cope with my surroundings, meet new people, and have a good time learning. I learned that it is better to make friends, rather than acting closed off and shy. Most of all, I learned how to survive. College isn't just a place where I come and go to, only coming to learn and then get out. It's where I lived and interacted. My friends were there and my teachers where there. It was more than just school or college and after I realized that, it became the most valuable experience I could ever have.